[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

I run a dsdt.asl made with DSD patcher.

that didnt work so great when i tried that, better to make a dsdt witht hat acpi patcher in windows

I have a running 10.5.7 install on my primary internal HDD. Following this guide, I would have a working Snow install on an external HDD. Would I have to go through all that again to get my primary installation upgraded?

updating from 10.5 to 10.6 always needs a fresh install i dont think u can upgrade like u can on a normal mac ( i dont even do that on a normal mac i install fresh as well)

You can however, install it on your external hdd, get it running jsut like u want it (copy all your files/apps etc to it) then restore that install to your internal hdd.

Thanks a lot! But i have a problem: the installation fails... ;) GUID partition on second HD. I know SL disk is not corrupted because i have successfully installed it on a real mac. Thanks for your help.

I have read elsewhere of failed installations from disc. Try using Disk Utility to create a disc image from the disc and mount and install from the disc image.

i donated some € to insanelymac, thats also a good way to pay back to teh community.

Yes it is, go for you (You make me feel guilty now) ;)

edit: i tried something interesting just now i restored 1 of my successful installs, onto a clean partition, and it works right away. so it seems that whatever seems to cause my KPs has to do with how the system is getting installed onto a disk/partition, this also means that lazy people can use distro's (dont think there are any yet) if they dont want the hazzle in terminal and getting KPs

Exactly right. The problem we are having is the install process currently being used is prone to errors in the file system. That's why we need to repair permissions and build a kextcache etc. The reason your restored image of a successful install works is because it's already been repaired etc.

First it boots, but kernel panic soon after the finder shows up.....

....If I do the kextcache commands, which as I have read here should resolve the kernel panics, the system doesn't boot at all, but crashes instead with failed loading of "ACPI"-something right from the start (no ACPI for that platform or something).

I run a dsdt.asl made with DSD patcher.

It sounds like maybe a DSDT issue? Maybe try making a basic DSDT with only the CMOS reset fix. to see if that helps?

I have a running 10.5.7 install on my primary internal HDD. Following this guide, I would have a working Snow install on an external HDD. Would I have to go through all that again to get my primary installation upgraded?

I haven't tried upgrading to 10.6 from a 10.5.X install, so if you fancy being a guinea pig then go for it ;)

But this is hackintosh and rebuilding is all part of the learning curve and fun? So yes, or buy another drive?

that didnt work so great when i tried that, better to make a dsdt witht hat acpi patcher in windows

That's a good idea, I haven't used fassl's DSDT patcher, only because I started by using Koalala's ACPI patcher first.

You can however, install it on your external hdd, get it running jsut like u want it (copy all your files/apps etc to it) then restore that install to your internal hdd.

Another good idea.. Or you can you Carbon Copy Cloner to make a block for block copy. (I think it works on 10.6, I haven't tried it yet).

Thanks for pitching in YoYelloW :)

Another good idea.. Or you can you Carbon Copy Cloner to make a block for block copy. (I think it works on 10.6, I haven't tried it yet).

Thanks for pitching in YoYelloW ;)

if unmounted correcly (if its not ur bootdisk atm) diskutil will also copy in blocks

Blackosx,

Alright, so I tried to boot into SL single user mode and run the commands you asked me to run, but I am now getting a kernel panic before it even gets to a command prompt...I am not sure what to do.

Here is my full setup by the way

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R (F11c Bios)

Intel Core 2 Duo Quad Q6700

Nvidia 8800GTS 640MB

8GB Mushkin Ram

2 Hard drives

HD 1: WD 74GB

----- EFI

----- Chameleon RC2 r640

----- Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.8

HD 2: WD 320GB

----- EFI

----- Chameleon RC1 r431

----- Mac OS X Snow Leapard 10.5.6

if unmounted correcly (if its not ur bootdisk atm) diskutil will also copy in blocks

You're right. :)

So now you're enjoying Snow Leopard have you participated in mitch's OpenCL benchmarking? :D

Alright, so I tried to boot into SL single user mode and run the commands you asked me to run, but I am now getting a kernel panic before it even gets to a command prompt...I am not sure what to do.

Hi again.. :)

Are you still using 32-bit kernel?

I would try wiping the SnowLeopard Volume and try re-installing again just to start from scratch. Boot in to it in 32-bit mode and try again. If you get to the desktop again and it KP's then try this method. (Obviously replacing BackupSL with SnowLeopard)

You're right. :)

So now you're enjoying Snow Leopard have you participated in mitch's OpenCL benchmarking? :D

Hi again.. :)

Are you still using 32-bit kernel?

I would try wiping the SnowLeopard Volume and try re-installing again just to start from scratch. Boot in to it in 32-bit mode and try again. If you get to the desktop again and it KP's then try this method.

well actually im into my 10.5.7 install now cus this is where all my apps are :D i will create a fully workign test partition where i install all apps and stuff agian, tehn plant that over 10.5.7 install as my main system.

well actually im into my 10.5.7 install now cus this is where all my apps are :) i will create a fully workign test partition where i install all apps and stuff agian, tehn plant that over 10.5.7 install as my main system.

Funny you say that because although I have a fully working 32-bit & 64-bit Snow Leopard system, I am using my 10.5.8 system right now :)

well theres still some things on my list, audio isnt working yet, and my 2nd NIC card isnt seen yet.

Your mobo uses ALC889A i think, so I would just select Realtek ALC889A in ACPIPatcher with HDEF ticked then try finding a LegacyHDA.kext to add in to /E/E from tmongkol's thread. If you have problems with it then ask. I found tmongkol very knowledgeable and helpful.

As for the 2nd NIC, I don't know about that, I haven't tried that.

Your mobo uses ALC889A i think, so I would just select Realtek ALC889A in ACPIPatcher with HDEF ticked then try finding a LegacyHDA.kext to add in to /E/E from tmongkol's thread. If you have problems with it then ask. I found tmongkol very knowledgeable and helpful.

As for the 2nd NIC, I don't know about that, I haven't tried that.

hmm ill take a look at tmongkol's thread, but i can chose between like 20 kexts and i dno which one i need, its not very clear..

that other NIC has been working with that realtec1000 kexts, but then iw as modified by someone, was pretty dodgy, and im sure it wont work on 10.6 cus even 10.5 had problems with it sometimes.

updating from 10.5 to 10.6 always needs a fresh install i dont think u can upgrade like u can on a normal mac ( i dont even do that on a normal mac i install fresh as well)

I don't mind doing a fresh install. But wiping out my present working setup to do a 10.6 vanilla which may or may not work as well seems like a tough call. I may have to do an install on external just to see if/how it works. And then do a second install on my primary from that 10.6 install.

Its either that, or installing Leopard on an external partition and using that to install SL on my primary. Either way I am looking at two installs since SL does not install from a disk but from a working OSX install.

I guess for times like these, it would be perfect to backup using Super Duper instead of Time Machine.

Any idea why my hard drive icons do not show up on the desktop? The only one that does is my SCSI RAID which loads off of a LSI card. In System Profiler, it shows all my SATA drives as ICH10 AND they are accessable if I click on the finder window...all listed nicely down the left side as usual.

What partition on the hard drive should be marked active? The Chameleon/Boot Loader partition or the Leopard/Snow Leopard partition?

Set the Chameleon partition as active

@yelloguy - It's purely up to you. Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Any idea why my hard drive icons do not show up on the desktop? The only one that does is my SCSI RAID which loads off of a LSI card. In System Profiler, it shows all my SATA drives as ICH10 AND they are accessable if I click on the finder window...all listed nicely down the left side as usual.

I think you need to press command-J (Show View Options) and go to the General tab and select Show Hard Disks on Desktop

My main aim is to help anyone with a GA-EP45-DS3L to install 10.6 with the least amount of problems.

This install method, as it stands, is always going to leave the installed 10.6 system with permission errors, hence the Kernel Panics. Now these can be fixed with this guide and it does work. But it's not always guaranteed to work for everyone first time and you will have to prepared to tinker. :)

So I have put up a note and a link to another guide by Snow on the front page of this thread to help people, who have an 8GB USB or external HD, to build an installer on their USB drive to install from rather than the OSInstall.mkpg used in this guide. This will allow booting your computer from the USB (as you can't boot directly from the 10.6 DVD) and installing from it without doing it from a running system. On Snow's page - Search for the 'Lets Go!' section and read up to 'UNCHECK Erase Destination.' Using my Support Files from this guide.

Then come back and use this guide, if you want to, for everything else.

Thanks for the amazing guide, my hackint0sh works better than ever!

I also had the permissions problem, and tried minimizing the e/e folder and installing from the 8gb flash installation disk and it worked.

post-158883-1251369368_thumb.gif

NVDarwin didn't work, so ignore it. Booting from this EFI, I have selected the SL Installation Disk, (and typed -x32) and setup completed fine.

Also, EFI partition's "ignore permissions" should be switched off or it gives errors when running kextcache

Great guide(s)!

I'm assuming the Cham partition is entirely optional, correct? Also, So your triple booting? I'm curious as to what your partitions are set up across the 2 drives. So you have both Cham RC1 and 2 on the same system? Is the "Backup" partition your 10.5.8? Win7 didn't give you any trouble? I remember it broke a Leopard install once for me. Sorry if this is off-topic.

I may create a partition for testing out Snow Leopard. If I don't create a Cham Partition, I'd have to install Cham RC1 to the same partition that SL would be on, but would that conflict with RC1 I have installed for 10.5?

Sorry if I'm all over the place, it's late =P

@nofearl - Hi, this is great news, well done :(

I don't recommend using NVDarwin.kext for this install. But maybe your hardware required it?

Version 1.1.1 of my guide mentions about honouring permissions of the Cham volume for using kextcache.

Thanks for reporting.

@EnzoFX - Thanks ;)

The Cham partition is optional, yes.

I have two HD's, and again the partition system is optional.

The first has chameleon on a separate partition, 10.5.8 on Macintosh, WINDOWS is empty at the moment, Backup has another 10.5.8 system installed for testing etc. and Vault is for data storage.

The second HD is for this install, Chameleon on the Cham partition, 10.6 on the SnowLeopard partition, WIN & is empty at the moment, Backup has another 10.6 install for testing etc. and Data is for data storage.

When I have dual booted OS X and Win7 in the past I have installed Chameleon in to the EFI partition, See my dual boot guide for that.

Yes, you can install Chameleon on the the same partition as SL if you want to and yes it will conflict with RC1 for 10.5 is you have both systems on the same HD.

Thanks a lot! But i have a problem: the installation fails... :( GUID partition on second HD. I know SL disk is not corrupted because i have successfully installed it on a real mac. Thanks for your help.

The same problem here! I have no idea what it is.

@nofearl - Hi, this is great news, well done :(

I don't recommend using NVDarwin.kext for this install. But maybe your hardware required it?

Version 1.1.1 of my guide mentions about honouring permissions of the Cham volume for using kextcache.

Thanks for reporting.

I got the 1.1 ;)

I have 2 graphics card and 4 monitors and NVDarwin.kext is the only solution (AFAIK) that works for me..

thanks again!

I got the 1.1 :(

I have 2 graphics card and 4 monitors and NVDarwin.kext is the only solution (AFAIK) that works for me..

thanks again!

No problem..

Wow, that's sound like a mega setup. So, now I understand why you need NVDarwin ;)

What hardware are you running?

@bigpoppa206

Have you tried changing the finder preferences?

click on any empty spot on your desktop, then up on the menu bar click on finder and select Preferences.

Make sure the first item "show these items on desktop: hard disks" is selected. It wasn't selected by default for me. I had to select it to make my hard drives appear.

Hi dazz, that's very kind of you :)

If you want to pay me, the best way will be by following this guide and posting a success story :)

hello

I went yesterday to buy two of this Gigabyte mobo, but they ran out of stock. (there is a street in paris whith like 10 chinese shops to sell pc parts). i did like 5-6 shops, they don't have it, althought they listed it as they do on their web site. so i bought a EP45-UD3LR, many people have it here. but it has a different chipset than yours, so i'm taking it back.

Some guy told me they don't have it anymore. I going back to some shops this afternoon, where they might have it, but this make me wonder :

- do you know the new version of the GA-EP45-DS3L ?

- at some point the GA-EP45-DS3L will not be sold anymore. so if you want to start a fresh instal from stracth, you won't be able to use this guide.

- my idea was to buy one and try, then maybe 1-2 more of this board so i have only one kind of board, but what if i can't buy this board in couple months ? i'll will have to get the new models and start over again.

- maybe at some point you will change mobo to to a more recent one. so i'm guessing the guide will follow as well. maybe the release of 10.6 is a good occasion to do so.

- it will be awesome, that's what's missing in the hackinthosh community, is to have some special tested mobo (guessing it will be gigabyte's ones) and files and nicely written guides like yours to work with.

unfortunatly the mobo market is a jungle and there is like 40 references.

so why the hackintosh community just doesn't pick couple of boards, so everybody has the same. this would make everybody's life easier.

well i don't know what to do, maybe i try to find GA-EP45-DS3L today, and try news models later, dunno...