[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Yes, for example, if you can't manage to get your video working with DSDT, then don't include video in your DSDT and just use a device (EFI) string for video in com.apple.Boot.plist. Just don'e have video in both the DSDT and and EFI string.

has to be the boot.plist thats in teh /Extra folder right? i dont have to dig up the one thats in the system folders somewhere

ill make a dsdt without gfx and cehck that out. (got the hang of it in w7 now anyway, w7 looks pretty nice tbh :) )

Yes I have read people talking about this method. Stellarolla says on his blog to avoid OSInstall.mkpg and put the SL disc image on to a 8GB USb stick anD go from there. And he knows what he's talking about! But for me the OSInstall.mkpg route works fine.

another partition would work as well im guessing? i think the problem with mpkg way is that priveleges go dodgy+ more stuffs?

i got enough disks so im gonna try to put it on a partition and see how that goes for me at elast.

The com.apple.Boot.plist goes in /Extra. I supplied one to get you going in my support files - Use the 32-bit one (The yellow one, as it has the -x32 kernel flag set) and don't forget to edit the video resolution.

And yes, if you can't get video working properly from DSDT then build one without video.

Good idea, leave the Cham partition setup and make as many different SL partitions as you want to test with :)

The com.apple.Boot.plist goes in /Extra. I supplied one to get you going in my support files - Use the 32-bit one (The yellow one, as it has the -x32 kernel flag set) and don't forget to edit the video resolution.

And yes, if you can't get video working properly from DSDT then build one without video.

Good idea, leave the Cham partition setup and make as many different SL partitions as you want to test with :)

got 1 spare 250gb disk, partitioned into 10 parts now, keeps me buzy -_-

but why teh 32bit one? efi dont work with 64?

Lol, Yeah... 10 installs, 10 minutes each from a mounted disc image.

Use the 32-bit kernel to boot your system to start with. Then once it's stable, try the 64-bit kernel. Keep it simple for now.

well sees to be holding now, i used a dsdt without gfx settings +efi, nothing changed, installed nvkush and got it working except that it seems my card as 256 and not 512. PLUS systems seems to be holding now (knockknock).

seems as the dsdt doesnt give proper info on audio and gfx for my system.

Btw booting from a restored partition with the dvd onit gave me a KP too in the installer, i jsut booted it nothing in -s or anything.

So have you booted in to Snow Leopard? and it's stable? Yes!.. Whoop Whoop!

Do you think the reason it was failing was to do with your DSDT?

2nd succesfull install here (no KP at least :D ), possibilities are great that it was the dsdt yes, but i cant say for sure, i would say for now, use efi strings for your gfx card instead of dsdt, at least that did the trick for me (and use it as hex not string)

i edited my boot.plist using efi again but not the strings, i used hex, and now it seems to be workign without nvkush proper vram and all (so cool :( )

next thing; getting sound to work, i did use the sound settings while making the dsdt, but doesnt seem to make a difference, will try some kexts

this is all at 32 bit btw.

once i got this going, im gonna try at 64

Well done. :(

But if it's working with device (EFI) strings (which are always hexadecimal) for video in com.apple.Boot.plist, then your DSDT must have been incorrectly configured. Did you ever test your DSDT.aml on a 10.5.X system like I recommend in my DSDT thread?

EDIT: I ask this because this might help others also work it out.

It's good you don't have to use nvkush as this install guide is all about not touching anything in /S/L/E and working only with /E/E..

And, yes get 32-bit stable first, then try 64-bit

:D

Well done. :(

But if it's working with device (EFI) strings (which are always hexadecimal) for video in com.apple.Boot.plist, then your DSDT must have been incorrectly configured. Did you ever test your DSDT.aml on a 10.5.X system like I recommend in my DSDT thread?

EDIT: I ask this because this might help others also work it out.

It's good you don't have to use nvkush as this install guide is all about not touching anything in /S/L/E and working only with /E/E..

And, yes get 32-bit stable first, then try 64-bit

guess i just like efi better then the dsdt, i think i did put all the settigns right when making the dsdt, will ahve to boot into my main system and make various dsdt's with different settigns to see if they make a difference, but tbh efi or dsdt whats the difference?

i didnt test it on my 10.5.7 system mostly because i got so many different ways of getting everything to work that i dont know anymore whats keeping what working :P (efi, dsdt, kexs)

edit: booting in 10.6 gives me ±1 full page of -v logs booting in my old 10.5.7 system, gives me at least 4 full pages, with errors, unused kexts and warnings :P

but tbh efi or dsdt whats the difference?

Absolutely right... As long as it works then it doesn't matter :(

It only matters for the purpose of this guide, as all these problems people are having getting SL to run and to be stable could now be down to an incorrect DSDT file. If that's the case then I will need to change my guide to include the option of using device (EFI) strings (as my previous guides) and not solely rely on the person following it being able to make a properly patched DSDT.aml :D

So to anybody reading this.. Please test your DSDT.aml on a 10.5.X system to make sure it works before using it with SnowLeopard and then finding it doesn't work.

But please keep me posted on how you get on with your system :P

Well done again.. I can tell you're very happy. If feels good eh? :)

But if you can test faulty DSDT's that would be very helpful. Thanks

hmm sp far now, dsdt's with wrong gfx cards, wrongly adressed ethernetcards etc, seem to be working, this is all 32 bit, will test how that goes on 64 now.

i did have edited these dsdt's to not reset the cmos, could it be that that "nonedit" causes the KPs?

edit: 64bit seems to be holding as well. im starting to think its save to say that a faulty DSDT.aml alone will not cause Kernel Panics!

on another note, i LOVE Snowleopard, it boots so fast, its a wet dream for everyone thats fiddling with hackintosh's :)

edit2: ironic enough, when i tried to boot with my proper dsdt and boot.plist, i keep getting KPs again lol. but this might be due to some kext i added

hmm sp far now, dsdt's with wrong gfx cards, wrongly adressed ethernetcards etc, seem to be working, this is all 32 bit, will test how that goes on 64 now.

i did have edited these dsdt's to not reset the cmos, could it be that that "nonedit" causes the KPs?

edit: 64bit seems to be holding as well. im starting to think its save to say that a faulty DSDT.aml alone will not cause Kernel Panics!

Thanks for testing the faulty DSDT's. I will also try this this evening when I get home.

But if it's not a faulty DSDT that's causing the KP what else did you do to your system to get it working? as you said all you changed was to remove video from the DSDT.aml and added the video with a device (EFI) string to the com.apple.Boot.plist. And also you added a kext... nvkush... ? then removed it?

We are so close to hopefully nailing what exactly contributes to a stable system or one that KP's...

on another note, i LOVE Snowleopard, it boots so fast, its a wet dream for everyone thats fiddling with hackintosh's :)

Yes, it is definitely faster at boot and shutdown.. all those little tweaks to discover. :)

But if it's not a faulty DSDT that's causing the KP what else did you do to your system to get it working? as you said all you changed was to remove video from the DSDT.aml and added the video with a device (EFI) string to the com.apple.Boot.plist. And also you added a kext... nvkush... ? then removed it?

We are so close to hopefully nailing what exactly contributes to a stable system or one that KP's...

Yes, it is definitely faster at boot and shutdown.. all those little tweaks to discover. :)

nvkush didnt give any problems, it seems that if u add a wrong kext to either /E or /S/L/E you will get a KP

i added 1 azalia kext that had worked for me on 10.5 to /E and got the KPs now i deleted it and works like a charm.

just seems that 10.6 is VERY picky about what kext you add, and its auto punishment(KP) if u add something wrong.

edit: its DEFFO the wrong kexts, i added it again > KP, delete it and its working again.

i think the mkext stuff you do in single user mode or the 10.5 terminal before booting fixed at least my KPs, so wrong kexts or wrong priveleges on kexts (so they ant load like they should?) giving people problems.

nvkush didnt give any problems, it seems that if u add a wrong kext to either /E or /S/L/E you will get a KP

i added 1 azalia kext that had worked for me on 10.5 to /E and got the KPs now i deleted it and works like a charm

just seems that 10.6 is VERY picky about what kext you add, and its auto punishment(KP) if u add something wrong.

Yes a kernel panic can be contributed to a bad kext.

But all those times before when you installed Snow Leopard and couldn't get the system up and running for the first boot because of KP's, you weren't adding any extra kexts then were you? Surely you were only using the ones in my support files?

I am just trying to work out why all of a sudden you got it working? Was it because you added a kext to the system before first boot? when you decided to change your DSDT and use the EFI string, was that tried on a first boot of a system or had that system already KP'd?

i think the mkext stuff you do in single user mode or the 10.5 terminal before booting fixed at least my KPs, so wrong kexts or wrong priveleges on kexts (so they ant load like they should?) giving people problems.

Okay great, cos that's what sorts the KP issue for me, building an Extensions.mkext.

Yes a kernel panic can be contributed to a bad kext.

But all those times before when you installed Snow Leopard and couldn't get the system up and running for the first boot because of KP's, you weren't adding any extra kexts then were you? Surely you were only using the ones in my support files?

I am just trying to work out why all of a sudden you got it working? Was it because you added a kext to the system before first boot? when you decided to change your DSDT and use the EFI string, was that tried on a first boot of a system or had that system already KP'd?

still only using the kexts from your guide, exept the platformuuid cus i didnt see its purpose :unsure:

i think priveleges on kexts and faulty kexts as i said in my previously edited post contribute to KPs

i will test this by installing a new system (still got some partitions left) and not do anything with mkexts, see if that give me KPs again.

i think priveleges on kexts and faulty kexts as i said in my previously edited post contribute to KPs

Thanks for confirming that YoYelloW.

I'll let you go and enjoy your new system now :unsure:

i will test this by installing a new system (still got some partitions left) and not do anything with mkexts, see if that give me KPs again.

If you can then that would be great. When I do it, a new install will KP for me, then I do this and it's sorted.

Thanks YoYelloW

ok so 1 install and many KPs further i did discover a few things

booting into a fresh install with -x64 will give a fsck_hfs KP

booting into single user mode with that same fresh install and do the kextcache, will give a kextcache KP

it works fine with -x32

after that, booting in x64 still gives KP, so i booted in x32, got it running and all. used kext utility, all fine, rebooted, into x64, all fine at first, then when i tried to start safari a KP and i didnt expect it there tbh :/

this all happend with the same Cham partition that gave me a perfect working system on other installs, so it seems that 10.6 is very nasty to install, but once u got it right and the systems figure out that u dont like KPs it keeps running.

still not sure why i got that last KP, will look into that later, at least i know a way to get pretty far into finder at least :)

Well before i go any further, i'm just posting to say

*********THANK YOU VERY MUCH *************

for putting up those awesome 10.5 and 10.6 guides for this mobo BlackOS

thank you very much for spending time testing stuff

thank you very much for writting all it down

thank you very much for following threads like this and helping people

I'm far from a hackintosh expert, but from all i know this is the best guide i've read so far. you rule :)

if you had a paypal account, i'll be happy to drop some € (or £ in this matter ;))

and right now i'm out buying two of this giga mobo to replace others one to folllow this :)

I hope to be back with happy reports :)

I've just updated the guide to v1.1.1

thank you very much for spending time testing stuff

thank you very much for writting all it down

thank you very much for following threads like this and helping people

if you had a paypal account, i'll be happy to drop some € (or £ in this matter :hysterical:)

Hi dazz, that's very kind of you ;)

I am just giving back to the community as it helped me when I was starting out with my hack. And if I start a thread, I feel it's only right to follow it through until I feel it's mature enough to survive on it's own.

If you want to pay me, the best way will be by following this guide and posting a success story :)

So thanks again and best of luck.

I've just updated the guide to v1.1.1

Hi dazz, that's very kind of you ;)

I am just giving back to the community as it helped me when I was starting out with my hack. And if I start a thread, I feel it's only right to follow it through until I feel it's mature enough to survive on it's own.

If you want to pay me, the best way will be by following this guide and posting a success story :)

So thanks again and best of luck.

Thanks a lot! But i have a problem: the installation fails... :hysterical: GUID partition on second HD. I know SL disk is not corrupted because i have successfully installed it on a real mac. Thanks for your help.

if you had a paypal account, i'll be happy to drop some € (or £ in this matter :hysterical:)

and right now i'm out buying two of this giga mobo to replace others one to folllow this ;)

I hope to be back with happy reports :)

when i started playing with hackintosh's and got it working, i donated some € to insanelymac, thats also a good way to pay back to teh community.

edit: i tried something interesting just now i restored 1 of my successful installs, onto a clean partition, and it works right away. so it seems that whatever seems to cause my KPs has to do with how the system is getting installed onto a disk/partition, this also means that lazy people can use distro's (dont think there are any yet) if they dont want the hazzle in terminal and getting KPs

Well, I have several problems. Can't get it to work

First it boots, but kernel panic soon after the finder shows up.

If I do the kextcache commands, which as I have read here should resolve the kernel panics, the system doesn't boot at all, but crashes instead with failed loading of "ACPI"-something right from the start (no ACPI for that platform or something).

I run a dsdt.asl made with DSD patcher.