[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

I did the following:

I had the dmg for Stuffit in that download folder on the NTFS partition, so I started the installer from there (did that in Leopard with Paragon many times without any problems) and the installation froze at the begining, so I forced it to quit.

After that SL is showing the folder that was full of stuff as empty :(

In Windows the folder is inaccessible now, I just get an error message that it is damaged...

Lintendo, thanks for coming back regarding the NTFS issue...

I understand what you have done now so I will be careful if I try using it.

@c0h1b4 - Okay, good to know your sound is working.. But I will have to a look in to these errors when I get some time.

@banini_jeque - Well done getting your system installed with your GTX260.. If anybody else has this problem then banini_jeque has the answer. :)

@Solow - Good news you managed to repair with DiskWarrior, and that you can now use 64-bit. Your audio should work in both, so if it's not working in 64-bit mode then it won't in 32-bit mode. Double Check you have the LegacyHDA.kext loaded and your HPET is ticked in DSDT.aml. But you shouldn't have to re-install Snow Leopard again.

@undo_undo - Congratulations for installing successfully - Thanks for your report.

Note: You will need the new version of Quicksilver for 10.6

@r_d, bero, HMiller, keypox, Vis and everybody - Thanks for letting me know about the Install Guide PDF. - I have just tried it and mediafire is having issues again! - Let me have a look in to it.

@r_d, bero, HMiller, keypox, Vis and everybody - Thanks for letting me know about the Install Guide PDF. - I have just tried it and mediafire is having issues again! - Let me have a look in to it.

I can provide you normal hosting for these files if you want. (As long as they are not superhuge)

@HMiller - Thanks for posting about 10.6 Server successfully installing too.

And thanks for posting about the issues with IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext. Like you I have only thought it to be cosmetic but maybe it does do more? I have never experienced any issues with it but I will add a mention to this on my front page.

I can provide you normal hosting for these files if you want. (As long as they are not superhuge)

Thanks titan4 - I have PM'd you :(

Yeah, the guide link wont work. Anyone want to whip up a quick p35-ds3l boot disk for those of us using that mb?

Try the current BootCD - it's fairly generic :)

Yes so would I, but MacFuse is not compatible with 64-bit kernel (So no NTFS-3G). I don't know about Paragon compatibility but I had issues with its NTFS implementation.

Yes, I have also read that Paragon, in some way, has caused problems..

Titan4 has kindly offered to host the Install Guide PDF for now.

You can download the guide for now from here.

Thanks Titan4 :)

Thanks for your reply, do you have a link to where I can find out some information about not using a kext to solve the uuid issue.?

This is where I read it.... (Have a look at the last couple of posts)

h t t p://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,250.15.html

Thanks for that.

Thing is, I dont have any errors in my system.log that relate to uuid, just a couple of notices about fsevents

If i dont get any errors, can i just not implement this fix?

Oli

I don't understand the need for UUID either. My system is rock solid without any errors without those fixes.

And I wouldn't like it much either, since I clone my system, and the UUD-insertion makes cloning volumes difficult i can imagine.

The link to the voodoo-forum is rather strange, i didn't understand anything what they were talking about.

BlackOSX,

I can boot into both 32bit and 64bit. I still need to use them longer period time to determine stability. So far what I have found it that utilities such as SteerMouse is not available in 64bit version yet, so I think I'll be using 32bit mode instead.

Question, In what order do the settings get loaded into the system during the boot process?

This is what I think:

1) dsdt.aml

2) com.boot. file

3) kext.

So, even if I specify graphics option in 1), but if I supplied EFI string in 2), the setting in 2) would override setting in 1). Would you agree?

PS: I created /etc/fsb file and added volume label read write line trick as stated in the main post and it worked for me. I am able to read write to NTFS w/o 3rd party software.

Thanks.

If i dont get any errors, can i just not implement this fix?
My system is rock solid without any errors without those fixes..... And I wouldn't like it much either, since I clone my system, and the UUD-insertion makes cloning volumes difficult i can imagine.

I guess you can try running your systems without it, and if you aren't getting any errors then fine. Can you keep this thread posted how you get on?

Question, In what order do the settings get loaded into the system during the boot process?

This is what I think:

1) dsdt.aml

2) com.boot. file

3) kext.

So, even if I specify graphics option in 1), but if I supplied EFI string in 2), the setting in 2) would override setting in 1). Would you agree?

Hi undo_undo

Interesting question, and I don't know the order of precedence for loading DSDT.aml / com.apple.Boot.plist / kext.

You will be able to find out add he voodooprojects forum. Search through the forum and if you can't find anything already posted to answer your question then you'll find Zef or Kabyl are very helpful and will let you know.

But from what I have read with regard to using a patched DSDT, it's wise to remove whatever you have patched from the com.apple.Boot.plist. So don't have video in both and then expect the system to oblige... I'm not saying it won't work but I am just repeating my understanding of it.

Well done with your HTFS r/w - but be warned as Lintendo lost his entire 30GB drive with this!!! Use at your own risk!

yeah, no problem.

Im just running tests on 32/64 bit and other system stability things. Are there any good benchmarking tests or anything else that I can use to stress test the system and see if I get any panics?

Once im done ill pop up a guide for the EP35-DS3, especially getting sound working thanks to this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1252717

Oli

yeah, no problem.

Im just running tests on 32/64 bit and other system stability things. Are there any good benchmarking tests or anything else that I can use to stress test the system and see if I get any panics?

Once im done ill pop up a guide for the EP35-DS3, especially getting sound working thanks to this

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1252717

Oli

I don't really know of any OS X stress tests.. (Although I did read once you can run Prime95 in under wine)..

As for your sound, yes those links point to tmongkol's LegacyHDA pack. He is a very knowledgeable chap and he helped me put the final pieces of the audio jigsaw together for this mobo (EP45-DS3L)...

What program is needed to open and view the boot file? I would like to have a look around in there to see exactly what is and isn't happening.

Hi flyguyjake

You can get hold of the source files for the Chameleon files at h t t p://chameleon.osx86.hu/.

If you discover anything new or make any changes then discuss it on the voodooprojects forum.

;)

Hi flyguyjake

You can get hold of the source files for the Chameleon files at h t t p://chameleon.osx86.hu/.

If you discover anything new or make any changes then discuss it on the voodooprojects forum.

:)

Did you do the whole UHCI/EHCI DSDT patch? and if yes,

Are you able to wake from usb mouse or keyboard?

Any chance you'll be adding this to your guide as a fix?

Any P35 users who have successfully patched their DSDT with UHCI/EHCI fix and device ID's can you post your DSDT please?

woot woot

10.5.7 and 10.6 running rock solid with latest chameleon. i'm using a soundblaster audigy2 instead of the onboard but the driver doesnt work for 10.6 (i think its a 32bit driver and im running in 64). so i'll be switching to the onboard sound tonight.

btw, i've been using an iDeneb release for a while, but its never been stable. whenever graphics came into play, as in dvd editing or a game, it would KP on me. now using dsdt and these guides its running world of warcraft for hours without issues :) i love my new hackintosh

thanks very much for all the help and hard work.

BlackOSX--

Just wanted to say thank you! Your guide is very well-written and easy to follow. I followed it (and tweaked it a little bit) for my DS3L board.

Have you considered modifying your guide to emphasize that the preferred method would be doing a clean install and *not* doing the installation from within Leopard? As you've posted about in this forum, KPs thrive in "unclean" installations. Forgive me if you've already added something to that effect. I haven't read your updated guides in a few days!

I've posted a few comments here that detail some of the random trouble that I had during my installation(s). Hope they help!

Thanks again. You did a great job with this guide; it has become the building block of many Snow Leopard installations.

Thanks for this great guide!

I use the same mainboard as you, a Q9550 CPU, GTX285 and 4GB RAM. Sleep does not work. A wakeup is just a normal system restart...

My DSDT seems to work great (at least after patching it with the CMOS fix...).

Are there any hints for me what I might change to get sleep etc. enabled?

Steve

Did you do the whole UHCI/EHCI DSDT patch? and if yes,

Are you able to wake from usb mouse or keyboard?

Any chance you'll be adding this to your guide as a fix?

Any P35 users who have successfully patched their DSDT with UHCI/EHCI fix and device ID's can you post your DSDT please?

I followed ApexDE's guide to patch my DSDT to get the EHCI USB Ports recognised as built-in. If that's what you're asking? And, no, I can only wake my system with the Power Button on the case.

Maybe I could add a mention to the fix in my PDF guide, thanks for reminding me.. but as it's ApexDE's discovery I feel it's only right to just point people to his post rather than repeat his code in my guide.. Also, that way, any questions can be directed to the correct thread etc.

woot woot

10.5.7 and 10.6 running rock solid with latest chameleon.

btw, i've been using an iDeneb release for a while, but its never been stable. whenever graphics came into play, as in dvd editing or a game, it would KP on me. now using dsdt and these guides its running world of warcraft for hours without issues ;) i love my new hackintosh

'Rock solid' is music to my ears hetman - Well done :)

And yes, a properly configured retail system (especially an untouched one like this) will give you a very stable core.

Have you considered modifying your guide to emphasize that the preferred method would be doing a clean install and *not* doing the installation from within Leopard? As you've posted about in this forum, KPs thrive in "unclean" installations. Forgive me if you've already added something to that effect. I haven't read your updated guides in a few days!

I've posted a few comments here that detail some of the random trouble that I had during my installation(s). Hope they help!

Thanks again. You did a great job with this guide; it has become the building block of many Snow Leopard installations.

Hi cubswinfllclssic - Thank you for your kind words :)

The latest version of my guide v2.3 emphasizes and hopefully encourages using the BootCD install method. But maybe I can make it stronger? Thanks for your detailed post in wantmacosx's thread. I have seen the thread and I am grateful for it's support of this thread. I will have to set aside some time to read what you have written. But Thanks :)

I use the same mainboard as you, a Q9550 CPU, GTX285 and 4GB RAM. Sleep does not work. A wakeup is just a normal system restart...

Hi WildSteve

A couple of people have had issues with their system not waking from sleep.. but unfortunately it's not yet clear exactly why this happens as problems with sleep can be attributed to lots of variables including video and USB. I think there have been a few posts over the last 4 or 5 pages of this thread that give a few suggestions.. such as, is your CPU overclocked? ..

Thanks for this great guide!

Steve

It was actually me who suggested what blackosx wrote in post above me. I have exactly same issue as you do and I tried a lot to make it work screwed few stable installations so I somehow don't really care anymore, but try the stuff and if something helps please share it with us.

So far things which I found that could cause it are overclocked CPU and memory compatibility issues (however I am not sure about memory because as blackosx I too have 800 Mhz Corsairs (4-4-4-12 but I have them on default 5-5-5-18 as of now, but tried every possible setting). You see it is like in real world...Sleep is good, but waking sucks :-)

And one little thing that does not work for me is sata hotplug. Nothing important tho.

Thanks for this awesome guide blackosx, followed your guide exactly and everything works perfect for the moment, hope it will continue to do so, time will tell ;)

Im on Gigabyte EP35-DS3 (Rev 2.0), the only thing that did not work was sound (ALC889a) got it working with this solution : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p=1229762 Post #388

Cheers,

aKy