I understand that its now with Chameleon RC3

kernel flags

arch=i386

to boot into 32bit mode.

But what do I have to put in for 64Bit Boot mode? Is it still

kernel flags

-x64

??

Thanks for an answer. Sadly the Documentation of Chameleon doesn't mention the boot flags for the x32/x64 Boot modes

Hi Professor

For booting with the kernel in 64-bit mode, just leave it blank so it looks like this..

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

EDIT: Please note: I haven't actually tried this as I am away from my hack. If anybody can confirm this then please do.

Hi Professor

For booting with the kernel in 64-bit mode, just leave it blank so it looks like this..

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

I hope that works, since with RC1 and 10.1 boot file I had to use -x64. Leaving it blank would have lead to a kernel panic on startup.

I've managed to get a working system with this method

I have an EP45-DS3L with a Quad 3 gig CPU

The Only remaining problem i am having is that i get kernel panics on boot with more then 4 gig of ram

I am using 4 2 Gig Modules of G.Skill 1066 Ram which tests out fine with memtest This produces a kernel panic shortly after i select the boot drive from chameleon

What if you remove smbios.plist? I have seen bad edits, or incorrect information in there cause KPs right about where you are seeing them.

Well I don't know, because I had them only on 64-bit but on 32-bit it works OK. What I suspect is some bios setting because every reinstall caused CMOS reset so I maybe forgor something because I did it quite fast. I have some idea about what I forgot so I will check it when I get home.

And about that OpenCL list...no GTX cards ? I will try with OpenCL Benchmark if it works for me on GTX.

That sure sounds like a DSDT editing problem. You should double check that you have changed the (RTC) section of the DSDT like it says in the guide. While you are in there, make sure you edit the High speed usb section too. There is a link to the instructions in the first post.

That sure sounds like a DSDT editing problem. You should double check that you have changed the (RTC) section of the DSDT like it says in the guide. While you are in there, make sure you edit the High speed usb section too. There is a link to the instructions in the first post.

Thanks for trying to help, but I already had fully functional 64-bit version and I am using the same DSDT as before. This is definitely not an issue.

My journey has finally reached an end.

Victory at last! :D

Using the newest Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658 boot I can successfully boot both 32bit and 64bit. Kudos to the Chameleon team!!! And thank you Blackosx for bringing that to the forum.

The new JMicroninjector doesn't work for me though and it KP's the 32bit start up. I found an older JMicron that works in both 32/64bit modes.

Boy Blackosx, your gonna have a lot of time on your hands now with the easiest install method on insanelymac.

BootCD & Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658

I can't wait to read everyone's feedback. I feel A LOT of successes coming on! :P

OK back to loading all of my apps now... :)

Thanks again Blackosx!!!

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

Could you post a link to the JMicron kext you are using. If you can't find it again, please post the name of the kext and the byte size. I would love to have my optical drive working without spending $30 on a new one.

Fantastic News - Well done for trying it and thanks for confirming this :D

I am happy for you now you got your system running as you want it.

As for having time on my hands... I hope so :P (I am going away for a week soon so that will be good)

Enjoy :)

@Lintendo - I don't know about fixing your UHCI ports other than reading ApexDE's thread. And hopefully, the new Chameleon will help with accessing your larger HDD?

EDIT: you can maybe try this post by tapper 00 or maybe the UHCIreset=Yes flag to enable the UHCI fix (disabled by default), in the com.apple.Boot.plist in Chameleon.

@Solow - I haven't had time to look in to this Flash issue yet, But maybe I won't if that was indeed the cause of your problem?.. Good luck with the re-install. But for anyone else who might be thinking of trying updates etc... It's always worth using a second install to try them on. Use the BootCD to install a fresh system on the Backup partition for testing etc.

@eobiont - I don't use IDE drives so I have never tested with a JMicron kext. The new Chameleon RC3 includes a JMicron kext so it's maybe you could try that as well and report if that also works for you?

@Capt_Boom - I have only ever used my system with 4GB RAM, so I can't help you with any testing on this. But I know more that 4GB of 1066Mhz RAM caused problems for Z40gr in my 10.5.7 thread. But as you are saying that more than 4GB of RAM in any configuration is causing problems then all I can is put a request out to anybody else on here for their feedback on this issue..

Hopefully someone will have an answer for you Capt_Boom

@philippebezoteaux - Thanks for the OpenCL card compatability list :)

I had a little trouble with the edits for the USB High speed. All the sample text I copied and pasted into the dsdt text from the web contained <tab> characters. The compiler complained about non-ascii characters. I replaced all the tabs with multiple spaces and then the dsdt compiled without errors. Maybe that is the problem.

Hi Professor

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

EDIT: Please note: I haven't actually tried this as I am away from my hack. If anybody can confirm this then please do.

Thanks for your quick answer, Blackosx.

I tested it, and it works as advertised by you:

arch=i386 for 32Bit

Empty kernel flag=64Bit

Maybe the kernel panics I spoke of where of other nature, it happened while I was trying your method for the first time.

So I tweaked some BIOS settings, installed new Chameleon boot file and seems to work very nice so far.

And blackosx I tried that version folders and when i put kexts in \E\E\10.6 then they do not load for me so I don't know how to make it work.

And I can confirm OpenCL working on other devices than in official list. You can test with OpenCL Benchmark...and what difference between GFX and CPU ! Can't wait for apps to properly use it.

.................. OpenCL Bench V 0.25 by mitch ...........
...... C2D 3GHz = 12 sec vs Nvidia 9600GT = 0,93 sec ......
... time results are not comparable to older version! .....

Number of OpenCL devices found: 2
OpenCL Device # 0 = GeForce 8800 GTX
Device 0 is an: GPU with max. 1350 MHz and 128 units/cores 
Now computing - please be patient....
time used:  0.477 seconds

OpenCL Device # 1 = Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU		  6600  @ 2.40GHz
Device 1 is an: CPU with max. 2666 MHz and 2 units/cores 
Now computing - please be patient....
time used: 17.358 seconds

Now checking if results are valid - please be patient....
:) Validate test passed - GPU results=CPU results :)

@eobiont

I will upload the JMicron kext that works for GA-P35C-DS3R mobo to mega tonight when I get home and provide the link.

For anyone that also has win xp, vista or win7 on their systems beware that frequent KP's and CMOS resets will screw up your bios.

Once I got my SL install working and wasn't having KP's anymore, I had to re-flash my bios because they got totally messed up. When I tried to run Windows it would keep freezing up. After over an hour of investigating, dskchk's & driver updates, I realized it had to be the bios. Once I re-flashed them, everything returned to normal!

Hope this helps. :P

With the new chameleon, the way blackosx makes it sound like is that all we need in /Cham is the boot file from the cham i386. Is that correct? Do we skip steps 3 and 4 altogether in your guide version 2.2??

CORRECTION Blackosx actually said to copy the boot file from the new Cham in place of the Netcas. Does this mean that we still use the r431 installer? or leave this step out altogether?

With the new chameleon, the way blackosx makes it sound like is that all we need in /Cham is the boot file from the cham i386. Is that correct? Do we skip steps 3 and 4 altogether in your guide version 2.2??

CORRECTION Blackosx actually said to copy the boot file from the new Cham in place of the Netcas. Does this mean that we still use the r431 installer? or leave this step out altogether?

You can probably use this installer.

No luck with the new boot cd for me. I replaced my hd3870 with a gtx 260, and that helped, but my screen goes to sleep right after it loads nvdanv50hal and "dsmos has arrived." I used -x32 -x -v -f, but it made no difference. Also it resets my bios. Oh! I just had a thought. My dsdt is patched for the bios reset, but the drive it's on isn't on the first connector. I'll try that.

oh my oh my oh my oh my I am so close!

I passes the Loading HFS+ obstacle that gave the the KP but now it KPs some seconds later.

I googled it and says that the KP log is found in Lybrary/Logs but I looked in the SnowLeopard partition and found no such logs! Can you guys help me out please cause I need you to show the error and perhaps you are able to help!

I know for sure it's not the DSDT.aml or SMBIOS messing things up, I removed them one at a time and made no difference whatsoever

EDIT

I looked at the official OSX help http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2546?viewlocale=en_US and it mentions that the Kernel Panic log is created at Library/Logs/PanicReporter. But in my case it's empty. Where can I find it and why is it not created since it was supposed to be there? Sorry for the simple questions but I'm new to the OSX enviroment

No luck with the new boot cd for me. I replaced my hd3870 with a gtx 260, and that helped, but my screen goes to sleep right after it loads nvdanv50hal and "dsmos has arrived." I used -x32 -x -v -f, but it made no difference. Also it resets my bios. Oh! I just had a thought. My dsdt is patched for the bios reset, but the drive it's on isn't on the first connector. I'll try that.

Still didn't work. It's not crashing or freezing, the screen is just going to sleep, and it's resetting my bios.

Still didn't work. It's not crashing or freezing, the screen is just going to sleep, and it's resetting my bios.

Just and idea. but have you tried connecting your display to another port on GFX ? As I said it is just idea because I had issue like this on Win7 before, but it is true that I had 2 displays connected so it may not be an issue here.

And most of all are you using BootCD only for install right ? Because it is not supposed to work with installed system.

Could you post a link to the JMicron kext you are using. If you can't find it again, please post the name of the kext and the byte size. I would love to have my optical drive working without spending $30 on a new one.

Hi eobiont - There's a JMicronATAInjector.kext with the new Chameleon v2 RC3, have you tried using that?

If I create a separate partition for cham, 64 bit is fine but 32 bit gives kernel panics. If there is no separate partition for cham then no KP

Hi lanja - This is a strange occurrence and doesn't make sense. but it that's what happens with your system then I believe you. But installing Chameleon on a separate partition should make absolutely no difference to how your system loads.

So I tweaked some BIOS settings, installed new Chameleon boot file and seems to work very nice so far.

And blackosx I tried that version folders and when i put kexts in \E\E\10.6 then they do not load for me so I don't know how to make it work.

And I can confirm OpenCL working on other devices than in official list. You can test with OpenCL Benchmark...and what difference between GFX and CPU ! Can't wait for apps to properly use it.

Hi titan4 - Well done for getting your system back up an running :(

Thanks for trying the kext in different folders thing, I have just tried it and you're right, it doesn't boot .. Maybe I miss understood that, I will have to go back and have a read?

Thanks for reporting your OpenCL becnhmark, you can compare your results with others here at mitch_de's thread. He's also created another OpenCL benchmark called Galaxy, it's more fun to watch!

Just and idea. but have you tried connecting your display to another port on GFX ? As I said it is just idea because I had issue like this on Win7 before, but it is true that I had 2 displays connected so it may not be an issue here.

And most of all are you using BootCD only for install right ? Because it is not supposed to work with installed system.

Yeah, just for the install, and I did try both dvi ports. In the com.apple.Boot.plist on the boot cd I noticed it has a graphics mode that isn't compatible with my screen, so maybe it's trying to run that and my screen can't so it goes off? I'm going to try changing the graphics mode with a boot flag. Also the dsdt.aml is specified in the .plist as DSDT=rd(0,0)/dsdt.aml and maybe it can't find it there?

For anyone that also has win xp, vista or win7 on their systems beware that frequent KP's and CMOS resets will screw up your bios.

Once I got my SL install working and wasn't having KP's anymore, I had to re-flash my bios because they got totally messed up. When I tried to run Windows it would keep freezing up. After over an hour of investigating, dskchk's & driver updates, I realized it had to be the bios. Once I re-flashed them, everything returned to normal!

Hi flyguyjake - Good point made. Yes, This CMOS reset it annoying and, for everyone, you really want to avoid doing this too often. The BootCD causes it as there is not DSDT on board, but hopefully you will only need to use it once.

Hi invisiblesurfer - Yes, all you need it the boot file from Chameleon RC3, so copy it to the root of your Cham partition in place of Netkas' PC EFI v10 boot file.

If you want to use the Chameleon v2 RC2 r640 then that's fine, but if you want to use it, then boot in to 10.5.8, erase the Cham partition in Disk Utility, run the RC2 installer, add all your files back in to it and just remember to place the boot file with the one from RC3.

You can probably use this installer.

The installer by Dr Hurt looks good, but as Kabyl replied, it's not supported by the Chameleon Development team as they have found some problems with the installer and that's why they have not released one just yet. So if you use Dr Hurt's one then don't ask for support from the Chameleon team.

All I can hope is someone else with a GTX260 can help you with this. Sorry banini_jeque.

@invisiblesurfer - Try having a look through the logs in System Profiler / Logs

This doesn't cover the errors in /Volume/SnowLeopard

Nevermind I'll take a shot with my mobile phone and upload it tomorrow. I was very excited I overcame with your help that @Loading HFS+@ error message that I almost peed my pants when it went past it. But it doesn't want to play easy :unsure: what else can I do other than ask on this forum for help