3675 replies to this topic

MrDiaz

MrDiaz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

@MrDiaz
Try using Kabyl's modified Chameleon boot file.
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=231768

Hi Z4g0r :P
Thanks for the post. I will try to install this weekend if I get time.

Hi Johnny V - How you doing mate ;)

I ended up installation OSX using my old 8800GTS. Updating to 10.6.7 then replacing the card with the ATI 5870. All I had to do after that was just replace the AppleHDA.kext and set GraphicsEnabler=NO

Thanks blackosx for the wonderful guide

RaMaDaSa

RaMaDaSa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Interesting news about the Disabler.kext, and I see Apple have a fix for that specific problem now. So do you now have everything working as you want?

Hi blackosx,
yes Apple has brought out an Supplemental Update Download ID: DL1370 to fix this problem with iTunes.

I can confirm that using Disabler.kext in /E/E solves this issue if a GF 9800GT is installed in our EP45-DS3L. All now again works like a charm exactly as before with v10.6.6. :P

84R7

84R7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi there!

Scince i have updated to 10.6.6 i have the problem, that the machine get a blue loading screen with the running busy icon on the middle when i restart or shutdown. And nothing happens. I need to push the reset key

somene has got an solution for this ?

Blackosx : Big thx for your long time support :))

ZenGiga

ZenGiga

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Scince i have updated to 10.6.6 i have the problem, that the machine get a blue loading screen with the running busy icon on the middle when i restart or shutdown. And nothing happens. I need to push the reset key

No solution I'm afraid, just a partial 'me too'. Twice in the last few weeks I've tried to shut down and exactly what you described happened, and reset was the only way out. Just twice for me though, not every time.

The after the first time I took a look at the disk with disk utility and there were errors (booted up from my osx/chameleon installer on a USB key and ran disk utility to fix issues), whether those were a result or cause of the shutdown issue I'm not sure, but I'd recommend running disk utility to check your disk.

Second time there were no issues reported by disk utility.

Have you tried looking at syslog and other log files to see if you have any errors at shutdown?

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Sweeeeet!

Updated to the newest fakesmc.kext to get more temps and fan speeds and it works great! Thanks man, for all the updates and the hard work =). I am however noticing I don't get CPU heatsink or GPU heatsink temps, no biggie however.
Using istat widget: Posted Image

84R7

84R7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

No solution I'm afraid, just a partial 'me too'. Twice in the last few weeks I've tried to shut down and exactly what you described happened, and reset was the only way out. Just twice for me though, not every time.

The after the first time I took a look at the disk with disk utility and there were errors (booted up from my osx/chameleon installer on a USB key and ran disk utility to fix issues), whether those were a result or cause of the shutdown issue I'm not sure, but I'd recommend running disk utility to check your disk.

Second time there were no issues reported by disk utility.

Have you tried looking at syslog and other log files to see if you have any errors at shutdown?

Hm the syslog says that he is missing some parallels kext... ill try to reinstall and deinstall it
thx

84R7

84R7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hm my systemlog says all the time something like : 13.04.11 18:12:23 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[455]) Exited with exit code: 1
13.04.11 18:12:23 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
13.04.11 18:12:33 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[456]) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4139 (24498):13
13.04.11 18:12:33 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[456]) posix_spawn("/Applications/Akamai/loader.pl", ...): No such file or directory
13.04.11 18:12:33 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[456]) Exited with exit code: 1
13.04.11 18:12:33 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
13.04.11 18:12:43 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[457]) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4139 (24498):13
13.04.11 18:12:43 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[457]) posix_spawn("/Applications/Akamai/loader.pl", ...): No such file or directory
13.04.11 18:12:43 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[457]) Exited with exit code: 1
13.04.11 18:12:43 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
13.04.11 18:12:53 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[458]) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4139 (24498):13
13.04.11 18:12:53 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[458]) posix_spawn("/Applications/Akamai/loader.pl", ...): No such file or directory
13.04.11 18:12:53 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[458]) Exited with exit code: 1

but i removed akamai
is that the problem ?

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,103 posts

Try booting in verbose mode to find a clue as to what the problem is.
Does the same happen in 10.6.7?

Maybe your parallels was causing some conflict? and I don't know what the akamai is referring to.

One easy way to try to isolate the problem is to do a fresh install of OS X on another small HDD partition, update it and see if the same problem is there with that. If not then you know it's a software issue with your current installation.

Hi ZenGiga

Do you still have the shutdown issue or did repairing permissions help?

Updated to the newest fakesmc.kext to get more temps and fan speeds and it works great! Thanks man, for all the updates and the hard work =). I am however noticing I don't get CPU heatsink or GPU heatsink temps, no biggie however.

Hey EnzoFX

Are you using the correct plugins for the heatsinks to be read?

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,103 posts
EDIT:
NOTE: This post was for 10.7 Developer Preview 2 and the steps were out of date for GM and 10.7 release versions though I've done my best to patch the steps for the release version..
For more info and alternative, more tried and tested guides to use, see here.

I've received a few PM's recently asking how I installed the developer previews of 10.7 on my system, so to save me sending individual replies everytime, I'm posting here the list of steps that I used so I can then point people to in the future. This is by no means a complete reference for everyone's hardware, and these steps might not even be the best way of doing it. The main 10.7 installation topic at InsanelyMac is still the place for an overview of how's and why's etc.

This is only what I did to install 10.7 DP2 on my very compatible hardware that consists of the GA-EP45-DS3L, E7300 CPU, 2x2GB DDR2 RAM, NVidia 8800GT.

Installation of 10.7 Developer Preview 2
Credit goes to usr-sse2 for posting the original installation steps at AppleLife

Before starting, you will find it beneficial to:
• Ideally to be up to date with the latest SL install procedure and techniques here.
• As we will be booting 10.7 with XPC and not Chameleon, then you won't be able to benefit from any of Chameleon's tricks such as GraphicsEnabler and auto generation of SSDT tables for power management. So you might want to have knowledge of adding your P & C-State data in to your DSDT as we used to do, and be able to enable your video by an other method i.e. device (EFI) property injection, video in your DSDT or maybe NVEnabler.

UPDATE: cparm found the solution (in Apple's own sources!) to allow booting Lion from Chameleon without double-faulting so the latest Chameleon builds can now happily boot 10.7 :) So in this case step 15 can be skipped and step 16 will read 'Reboot using Chameleon and select……"

Things to do first:
• Two spare partitions on your HDD, formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using the GUID Partition Table option. I just resized an existing partition on my drive to make room for two additional ones. I used one sized 8GB for the Mac OS X Base System, and one sized 40GB for Lion.
• You will also need a spare USB memory stick sized 1GB or more so OS X can format it as FAT32.
Find a kind friend that can let you have the installer disk image. Buy Lion
• Download the latest version of iPhoneTom's XPC and also find yourself DuetToHDD.

Installation steps:
1 - Double click the installer disk image in the finder to mount volume.
2 - Load Terminal and do the following:
cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD
open BaseSystem.dmg
3 - Load Disk Utility.
4 - Click Restore Tab in right pane.
5 - Drag the 'Mac OS X Base System Volume' found under BaseSystem.dmg in left pane of Disk Utility, to the Source field.
6 - Drag a spare partition to Destination field (I used the 8GB one I partitioned earlier). Tick the Erase option.
7 - Click 'Restore' button and enter password to authenticate.
8 - Quit Disk Utility.
9 - Eject the mounted volume named 'Mac OS X Base System' from the Finder (the one with the white icon).
10 - Open newly created partition, now named Mac OS X Base System
11 - Navigate to /System/Installation/
12 - Trash the alias named Packages
13 - Next you need to copy the Packages folder from the already mounted Mac OS X Install ESD volume to Mac OS X Base System/System/Installation. To do that, enter the Terminal again and type the following:
cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD 
sudo cp -R Packages /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation
14 - In Terminal, cd to the directory containing FakeSMC.kext, then type the following:
(Note: The second line below is one single line, just split due to line length).
Note: THINK!.. You will need to check the path's here to make sure they match what you're trying to do. The below commands might not be correct for your system.
sudo cp -R FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions 
sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*
15 - Copy the mach_kernel from the mounted InstallESD image to the newly created Mac OS X Base System partition.
15 - Download iPhoneTom's XPC, Erase (1GB+) USB stick in DiskUtility as MSDOS (FAT32), use DuettoHDD to prepare USB, copy XPC files to USB and edit settings.plist. Note: Using correct settings here is the key to a successful installation and further on, a successful boot of Lion. (I might expand this section another time, but for now I posted some notes here and here).
16 - Reboot using XPC and select the 'Mac OS X Base System' volume to boot from.
16 - Reboot using Chameleon and select the 'Mac OS X Base System' volume to boot from.
17 - Wait until you see the installer's language selection screen, then proceed and install Lion to a blank partition (I used the 40GB one I prepared earlier), using Disk Utility if needed to prepare partition.
18 - When the installation is finished, it will restart - here you want to boot back in to Snow Leopard.
19 - In Terminal, cd to the directory containing your kexts and copy then in Lion's S/L/E
Note: For my hardware, I only needed FakeSMC.kext to boot Lion. Though I've also added, the same kexts that I have been using for 10.6, so thats the FakeSMC plugins, the KiNG's Orangeiconfix.kext, Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx.kext and Mozodojo's VoodooMonitor.kext. If you want to add other kexts then do so after adding FakeSMC.kext.
sudo cp -R FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/LionDP2_Test/System/Library/Extensions
sudo rm -rf /Volumes/LionDP2_Test/ System/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*
exit
20 - You should now be able to boot the 10.7 developer preview 2 from the XPC booter :)

Note:
For ALC888 audio to function you'll need three things. A patched AppleHDA.kext, a legacyHDA.kext and a revised HDEF section in DSDT. I have these setup at my end, courtesy of a solution from cparm. I'll post a revised DSDT later.
EDIT:
Posted everything needed for audio here.

Note: This post serves as a reference to installing the 10.7 developer preview 2 for users of the same hardware as me. I will not respond with major troubleshooting sessions for other users with different hardware and have no intention of producing a fully detailed step by step PDF guide as I did for Snow Leopard because there are already a few guides and topics here at InsanelyMac dedicated to installing 10.7.

84R7

84R7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Try booting in verbose mode to find a clue as to what the problem is.
Does the same happen in 10.6.7?

Maybe your parallels was causing some conflict? and I don't know what the akamai is referring to.

One easy way to try to isolate the problem is to do a fresh install of OS X on another small HDD partition, update it and see if the same problem is there with that. If not then you know it's a software issue with your current installation.

Hi ZenGiga

Do you still have the shutdown issue or did repairing permissions help?

Hey EnzoFX

Hey. Paralles and the Akamai Adobe installer is defenetly not the problem
I removed all of this...
everytime i reboot or shutdown...
when i shutdown verbose he says :
unable to unmount
/ home
/ net

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,103 posts

everytime i reboot or shutdown...
when i shutdown verbose he says :
unable to unmount
/ home
/ net

That's strange as those are folders and not volumes? My Unix isn't brilliant so maybe there's a plausible reason why you're seeing that message. Have you tried un-mounting them manually?

Did you try repairing permissions as Zengiga suggested?
Have you a secondary OS X installation to test with and compare the differences to your file system?

84R7

84R7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

That's strange as those are folders and not volumes? My Unix isn't brilliant so maybe there's a plausible reason why you're seeing that message. Have you tried un-mounting them manually?

Did you try repairing permissions as Zengiga suggested?
Have you a secondary OS X installation to test with and compare the differences to your file system?

yes that are folders
i have only one installation on one hard drive, where all is in /

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,103 posts

yes that are folders
i have only one installation on one hard drive, where all is in /

So this has only happened since updating to 10.6.6?
Have you tried the combo updater for 10.6.7?

84R7

84R7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

So this has only happened since updating to 10.6.6?
Have you tried the combo updater for 10.6.7?

Both ! but only when the Hackmack is in longer use ....
Ive just installed the newest Cameleon RC5 build 7xx
let u know if that solves the problem...
thx ! :()

thx ! :o)

Nope - same

The exacly terminal output is :
lill all process
continunig
unmount /home (45)
unmount /net (45)

failed

then nothing happens

Hm : about this mac says that i have an core 2 duo
but i have an pentium 4 dual core
is it necessary to change it ?

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Hey EnzoFX

Using the same 3 detailed in the latest What's New PDF, though using the ATI kext in place of Nvidia.
That is: FakeSMCIntelThermal, FakeSMCSuperIO, FakeSMCRadeon

Also using latest DSDT on there, did the DSDT require any editing to allow these kexts to work, perhaps to label the different temperature/fan speed readings? Curious if I could apply the same FakeSMC+Plugins to any other hack.
Thank you.

Edit: Don't think the dsdt required editing, sweet.

84R7

84R7

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

thx ! :D)

Nope - same

The exacly terminal output is :
lill all process
continunig
unmount /home (45)
unmount /net (45)

failed

then nothing happens

Hm : about this mac says that i have an core 2 duo
but i have an pentium 4 dual core
is it necessary to change it ?

Hm repairing permissions or repairing the hard disk has didnt solve the problem

-iCE!HACKER-

-iCE!HACKER-

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Having some trouble after a fresh installation of OS X SL 10.6.7... made changes in com.apple.Boot.plist and tried the new FakeSMC.kext but my rig did not boot now using the old FakeSMC.kext i am getting these errors. searched but could not find much may be i need a new version of chameleon or/and FakeSMC.kext

ps:- hey there blackosx gr8 job

17/04/11 7:30:11 PM	kernel	ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
17/04/11 7:30:11 PM	kernel	ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed
17/04/11 7:30:11 PM	kernel	ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - WARNING - LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,103 posts

Hm repairing permissions or repairing the hard disk has didnt solve the problem

I've been booting using verbose mode recently and on shutdown this morning I saw the following lines flash up just before the machine closed off.
unmount /home
unmount /net
So what you're seeing is normal. I think there were a couple more lines of text after the above but I didn't catch them. I'll video the screen next time and see what they read as I guess that's where your system is hanging.

@-iCE!HACKER- To get rid of those _CST messages you need to patch your AppleLPC.kext to get it to load. Find the info you need in this topic

Using the same 3 detailed in the latest What's New PDF, though using the ATI kext in place of Nvidia.
That is: FakeSMCIntelThermal, FakeSMCSuperIO, FakeSMCRadeon

Also using latest DSDT on there, did the DSDT require any editing to allow these kexts to work

Hi EnzoFX

Part 7 'What's New' PDF I see is dated 30th September 2010 so I guess it's not really that new anymore :police: .The link on page 2 to the FakeSMC topic at ProjectOSX is still there, but the latest versions can be got from here.

I am aware that changes can be made to the DSDT to add additional support for the FakeSMC plugins but I have yet to try doing so and just use the readings the plugins give me. I guess I've just never really bothered looking too deeply in to it as my machine is running really well, and all I really like to see is CPU temp and don't really have any need to see my fans speeds etc.

ps. I going away tomorrow morning for a week so I'll try to answer any questions when I get back.

rimmi2002

rimmi2002

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
MY snow Leopard Crashing at Start up with Exit Signal 8. Please help.

Hi I had a very stable build...using Chameleon r699. GA-P35-DS3L; 10.6.7. Have my motherboards dsdt that's been working well for 6+ months...never had a problem. Last night I used the computer lightly. For 30 mins. Didn't install anything. This morning when I turned it back on:

First at the white/gray apple boot screen it showed a progress bar (which it never shows before) went about 1/3 way down the progress bar...disappeared and then the system hung at SL boot.

I did a manual shutdown and restart and the system never booted.

When booting with verbose safemode (-x -v -f) I found the following errors:

"Exited with Signal 8"
Then after a few more msg I the last line is CPU Halt and the system shutsdown.

I booted with my usb boot stick into the snow leopard install DVD and ran diskutility "Verify disk" and then repair disk and got thh following msg for repairing disk.

1. Invalid Record Count
2. Snow Leopard coud not be verified completly
3. Volume repair complete.
4. Updating Boot Support partition for the volume as required
5. This disk cannot be repaired.

Any idea what could have cause this. I didn't install anythng new. Anyway to fix this? If not I'll end up reintalling from a time machine backup....but I'd hate for this to happen again so just wanted to know what could have possibly caused this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

bigpoppa206

bigpoppa206

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Any idea what could have cause this. I didn't install anythng new. Anyway to fix this? If not I'll end up reintalling from a time machine backup....but I'd hate for this to happen again so just wanted to know what could have possibly caused this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here is the repair procedure for a real Mac, you will need to make adjustments as fits our systems:
  • Boot off the OS X CD (reboot, hold C while booting).
  • The installer will load up, go to Utilities in the menu and run Terminal.
  • Type df and look for the drive that has your Mac system mounted---you'll have to unmount this. On my MacBook Pro, it was /dev/disk0s2.
  • Type umount /dev/disk0s2, replacing disk0s2 with whatever disk your OS lives on.
  • Type fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk0s2. If you umounted the wrong thing, it will complain that you can't repair a mounted drive. Go back and umount the right thing and repeat this step.
See if that fixes it. PS, less than 2 minutes in Google. Now take a deep breath...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy