[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi Cheapo.

Thanks for the post about eSATA but what purple SATA slots are you referring to on this mobo? Pic

I've posted previously about the hosted FakeSMC builds and it's plugins over at ProjectOSX. I suppose it's easy for posts to get lost in this topic and I haven't updated the guide PDF's for a long time now, but for reference, the topic search function works great and is a quick and easy way to find relevant info.

I'd also like to make a note on these guides. THEY ARE GREAT!

One small detail that I felt was essential was that you forgot to mention on PART I that Windows 7 partition needs to be the first or second partition; no other partition works (if you are planning to dual boot). I know you mentioned this in Part 9; but I didn't read it until I was done installing my system :(

Hi xDeLiRiOuSx

Thanks and if I ever update the PDF guides in the future then I'll try adding a more dedicated note about that, rather than relying on the user reading the paragraph in bold saying to read Part 9 if you want to create a dual boot.

Hi folks, hi Boss, news with wireless USB WL-345 B/G/N that works fine OOB on the GA-EP45-DS3L

also i have connected an iPad2 that sync fine with iTunes

works too EyeTV net via wireless on the iPad2 with the Hackintosh like server

Hi blackosx, hi folks,

thank you all so much for your great work!! I learned so much from you! And now I'm so happy with my Hack :D

For me too, upgrading to v10.6.7 64-bit via S/W-Update (from 10.6.6) as well as via Combo-Update (from 10.6.3) worked like a charm.

But after this update I had an issue with iTunes like many other MacBook Air users: Every time when iTunes starts the system freezes (maybe mainly the grahic system!?). See also:

EDIT: Now I can confirm that only the graphic system freezes: I can remotely access via SSH and perform a controlled shutdown.

Apple Support Discussions

After some playing around I installed the disabler.kext in /E/E even though I've a 9800GT installed (till then I didn't need this kext). But this fixed for me the problem!

I think that Apple has done some big changes within the graphic part (e.g. IOGraphicsFamily + AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer) which affects the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext. But really I don't know much about this...

Thanks for the post about eSATA but what purple SATA slots are you referring to on this mobo? Pic

Sorry. I followed your guide to install OSX on my mobo (P35-DS3) and I thought your mobo also had the JMicron slots mine has. Anyway, if anyone manages to make eSATA hot-plug work in the default orange slots, I'd love to know.

I've posted previously about the hosted FakeSMC builds and it's plugins over at ProjectOSX. I suppose it's easy for posts to get lost in this topic and I haven't updated the guide PDF's for a long time now, but for reference, the topic search function works great and is a quick and easy way to find relevant info.

I didn't use the search because I monitor this topic via e-mail (I get one every day with updates) and I didn't recall that post. Maybe it's because I didn't know that FakeSMC was responsible for sensors monitoring until a few days ago :(

We should have a per-mobo wiki or something. It would be way easier to find and update info about a specific mobo.

Just wanted to stop in and mention updating to 10.6.7 was painless. I just used Software Update and restarted... Sweet! Of course I read the last few pages of posts and my motherboard is different than what this guide uses... so I don't have to worry about updating sound files.

Thanks for a great guide BlackOSX

Hi blackosx,

I've followed your guide to the letter... I am using however an ATI 5870 and I can't get the installation screen to come up. Screen goes black as if it lost video and fans just spin like crazy.

I did download PCI EFI boot file and put it on my USB boot as well and couldn't get to work. Any idea what else I could do?

@MrDiaz

Try using Kabyl's modified Chameleon boot file.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231768

Mac OS X Lion Build 11A419 is out.

Hi Z4g0r :P

Thanks for the post. I will try to install this weekend if I get time.

EDIT: Done.

post-331032-1301897871_thumb.png

...and wow.. the Lion developer preview 2 is now better than ever and the animations for things like launch pad, exposé / mission control are slick and quick without minor delays seen in the first preview. I love having a different desktop pic per space supported natively. Well done Apple for engineering this to run so well on my now older hardware. It's nice to know there's no real need for me to buy new kit.

Hi Johnny V - How you doing mate ;)

I've followed your guide to the letter... I am using however an ATI 5870 and I can't get the installation screen to come up. Screen goes black as if it lost video and fans just spin like crazy.

I did download PCI EFI boot file and put it on my USB boot as well and couldn't get to work. Any idea what else I could do?

Hi MrDiaz,

did you look at netkas site? Maybe it helps you: PC EFI and ATI Category. Good luck!

Sorry. I followed your guide to install OSX on my mobo (P35-DS3) and I thought your mobo also had the JMicron slots mine has. Anyway, if anyone manages to make eSATA hot-plug work in the default orange slots, I'd love to know.

No problems and if I ever attempt it I'll let you know.

We should have a per-mobo wiki or something. It would be way easier to find and update info about a specific mobo.

There are various wiki's about, but how up-to-date they are I don't know.

But after this update I had an issue with iTunes like many other MacBook Air users: Every time when iTunes starts the system freezes (maybe mainly the grahic system!?)

Hi RaMaDaSa

Interesting news about the Disabler.kext, and I see Apple have a fix for that specific problem now. So do you now have everything working as you want?

@MrDiaz

Try using Kabyl's modified Chameleon boot file.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=231768

Hi Z4g0r :P

Thanks for the post. I will try to install this weekend if I get time.

Hi Johnny V - How you doing mate ;)

I ended up installation OSX using my old 8800GTS. Updating to 10.6.7 then replacing the card with the ATI 5870. All I had to do after that was just replace the AppleHDA.kext and set GraphicsEnabler=NO

Thanks blackosx for the wonderful guide

Interesting news about the Disabler.kext, and I see Apple have a fix for that specific problem now. So do you now have everything working as you want?

Hi blackosx,

yes Apple has brought out an Supplemental Update Download ID: DL1370 to fix this problem with iTunes.

I can confirm that using Disabler.kext in /E/E solves this issue if a GF 9800GT is installed in our EP45-DS3L. All now again works like a charm exactly as before with v10.6.6. :P

Hi there!

Scince i have updated to 10.6.6 i have the problem, that the machine get a blue loading screen with the running busy icon on the middle when i restart or shutdown. And nothing happens. I need to push the reset key

somene has got an solution for this ?

Blackosx : Big thx for your long time support :))

Scince i have updated to 10.6.6 i have the problem, that the machine get a blue loading screen with the running busy icon on the middle when i restart or shutdown. And nothing happens. I need to push the reset key

No solution I'm afraid, just a partial 'me too'. Twice in the last few weeks I've tried to shut down and exactly what you described happened, and reset was the only way out. Just twice for me though, not every time.

The after the first time I took a look at the disk with disk utility and there were errors (booted up from my osx/chameleon installer on a USB key and ran disk utility to fix issues), whether those were a result or cause of the shutdown issue I'm not sure, but I'd recommend running disk utility to check your disk.

Second time there were no issues reported by disk utility.

Have you tried looking at syslog and other log files to see if you have any errors at shutdown?

Sweeeeet!

Updated to the newest fakesmc.kext to get more temps and fan speeds and it works great! Thanks man, for all the updates and the hard work =). I am however noticing I don't get CPU heatsink or GPU heatsink temps, no biggie however.

Using istat widget: Screen_shot_2011-04-10_at_4.11.48_PM.png

No solution I'm afraid, just a partial 'me too'. Twice in the last few weeks I've tried to shut down and exactly what you described happened, and reset was the only way out. Just twice for me though, not every time.

The after the first time I took a look at the disk with disk utility and there were errors (booted up from my osx/chameleon installer on a USB key and ran disk utility to fix issues), whether those were a result or cause of the shutdown issue I'm not sure, but I'd recommend running disk utility to check your disk.

Second time there were no issues reported by disk utility.

Have you tried looking at syslog and other log files to see if you have any errors at shutdown?

Hm the syslog says that he is missing some parallels kext... ill try to reinstall and deinstall it

thx

Hm my systemlog says all the time something like : 13.04.11 18:12:23 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[455]) Exited with exit code: 1

13.04.11 18:12:23 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

13.04.11 18:12:33 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[456]) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4139 (24498):13

13.04.11 18:12:33 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[456]) posix_spawn("/Applications/Akamai/loader.pl", ...): No such file or directory

13.04.11 18:12:33 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[456]) Exited with exit code: 1

13.04.11 18:12:33 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

13.04.11 18:12:43 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[457]) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4139 (24498):13

13.04.11 18:12:43 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[457]) posix_spawn("/Applications/Akamai/loader.pl", ...): No such file or directory

13.04.11 18:12:43 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[457]) Exited with exit code: 1

13.04.11 18:12:43 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

13.04.11 18:12:53 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[458]) Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:4139 (24498):13

13.04.11 18:12:53 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[458]) posix_spawn("/Applications/Akamai/loader.pl", ...): No such file or directory

13.04.11 18:12:53 com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[130] (com.akamai.client.plist[458]) Exited with exit code: 1

but i removed akamai

is that the problem ?

Try booting in verbose mode to find a clue as to what the problem is.

Does the same happen in 10.6.7?

Maybe your parallels was causing some conflict? and I don't know what the akamai is referring to.

One easy way to try to isolate the problem is to do a fresh install of OS X on another small HDD partition, update it and see if the same problem is there with that. If not then you know it's a software issue with your current installation.

Hi ZenGiga

Do you still have the shutdown issue or did repairing permissions help?

Updated to the newest fakesmc.kext to get more temps and fan speeds and it works great! Thanks man, for all the updates and the hard work =). I am however noticing I don't get CPU heatsink or GPU heatsink temps, no biggie however.

Hey EnzoFX

Are you using the correct plugins for the heatsinks to be read?

EDIT:

NOTE: This post was for 10.7 Developer Preview 2 and the steps were out of date for GM and 10.7 release versions though I've done my best to patch the steps for the release version..

For more info and alternative, more tried and tested guides to use, see here.

I've received a few PM's recently asking how I installed the developer previews of 10.7 on my system, so to save me sending individual replies everytime, I'm posting here the list of steps that I used so I can then point people to in the future. This is by no means a complete reference for everyone's hardware, and these steps might not even be the best way of doing it. The main 10.7 installation topic at InsanelyMac is still the place for an overview of how's and why's etc.

This is only what I did to install 10.7 DP2 on my very compatible hardware that consists of the GA-EP45-DS3L, E7300 CPU, 2x2GB DDR2 RAM, NVidia 8800GT.

Installation of 10.7 Developer Preview 2

Credit goes to usr-sse2 for posting the original installation steps at AppleLife

Before starting, you will find it beneficial to:

• Ideally to be up to date with the latest SL install procedure and techniques here.

• As we will be booting 10.7 with XPC and not Chameleon, then you won't be able to benefit from any of Chameleon's tricks such as GraphicsEnabler and auto generation of SSDT tables for power management. So you might want to have knowledge of adding your P & C-State data in to your DSDT as we used to do, and be able to enable your video by an other method i.e. device (EFI) property injection, video in your DSDT or maybe NVEnabler.

UPDATE: cparm found the solution (in Apple's own sources!) to allow booting Lion from Chameleon without double-faulting so the latest Chameleon builds can now happily boot 10.7 :) So in this case step 15 can be skipped and step 16 will read 'Reboot using Chameleon and select……"

Things to do first:

• Two spare partitions on your HDD, formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using the GUID Partition Table option. I just resized an existing partition on my drive to make room for two additional ones. I used one sized 8GB for the Mac OS X Base System, and one sized 40GB for Lion.

• You will also need a spare USB memory stick sized 1GB or more so OS X can format it as FAT32.

Find a kind friend that can let you have the installer disk image. Buy Lion

• Download the latest version of iPhoneTom's XPC and also find yourself DuetToHDD.

Installation steps:

1 - Double click the installer disk image in the finder to mount volume.

2 - Load Terminal and do the following:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD
open BaseSystem.dmg

3 - Load Disk Utility.

4 - Click Restore Tab in right pane.

5 - Drag the 'Mac OS X Base System Volume' found under BaseSystem.dmg in left pane of Disk Utility, to the Source field.

6 - Drag a spare partition to Destination field (I used the 8GB one I partitioned earlier). Tick the Erase option.

7 - Click 'Restore' button and enter password to authenticate.

8 - Quit Disk Utility.

9 - Eject the mounted volume named 'Mac OS X Base System' from the Finder (the one with the white icon).

10 - Open newly created partition, now named Mac OS X Base System

11 - Navigate to /System/Installation/

12 - Trash the alias named Packages

13 - Next you need to copy the Packages folder from the already mounted Mac OS X Install ESD volume to Mac OS X Base System/System/Installation. To do that, enter the Terminal again and type the following:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD 
sudo cp -R Packages /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation

14 - In Terminal, cd to the directory containing FakeSMC.kext, then type the following:

(Note: The second line below is one single line, just split due to line length).

Note: THINK!.. You will need to check the path's here to make sure they match what you're trying to do. The below commands might not be correct for your system.

sudo cp -R FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Extensions 
sudo rm -rf /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*

15 - Copy the mach_kernel from the mounted InstallESD image to the newly created Mac OS X Base System partition.

15 - Download iPhoneTom's XPC, Erase (1GB+) USB stick in DiskUtility as MSDOS (FAT32), use DuettoHDD to prepare USB, copy XPC files to USB and edit settings.plist. Note: Using correct settings here is the key to a successful installation and further on, a successful boot of Lion. (I might expand this section another time, but for now I posted some notes here and here).

16 - Reboot using XPC and select the 'Mac OS X Base System' volume to boot from.

16 - Reboot using Chameleon and select the 'Mac OS X Base System' volume to boot from.

17 - Wait until you see the installer's language selection screen, then proceed and install Lion to a blank partition (I used the 40GB one I prepared earlier), using Disk Utility if needed to prepare partition.

18 - When the installation is finished, it will restart - here you want to boot back in to Snow Leopard.

19 - In Terminal, cd to the directory containing your kexts and copy then in Lion's S/L/E

Note: For my hardware, I only needed FakeSMC.kext to boot Lion. Though I've also added, the same kexts that I have been using for 10.6, so thats the FakeSMC plugins, the KiNG's Orangeiconfix.kext, Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx.kext and Mozodojo's VoodooMonitor.kext. If you want to add other kexts then do so after adding FakeSMC.kext.

sudo cp -R FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/LionDP2_Test/System/Library/Extensions
sudo rm -rf /Volumes/LionDP2_Test/ System/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*
exit

20 - You should now be able to boot the 10.7 developer preview 2 from the XPC booter :)

Note:

For ALC888 audio to function you'll need three things. A patched AppleHDA.kext, a legacyHDA.kext and a revised HDEF section in DSDT. I have these setup at my end, courtesy of a solution from cparm. I'll post a revised DSDT later.

EDIT:

Posted everything needed for audio here.

Note: This post serves as a reference to installing the 10.7 developer preview 2 for users of the same hardware as me. I will not respond with major troubleshooting sessions for other users with different hardware and have no intention of producing a fully detailed step by step PDF guide as I did for Snow Leopard because there are already a few guides and topics here at InsanelyMac dedicated to installing 10.7.

Try booting in verbose mode to find a clue as to what the problem is.

Does the same happen in 10.6.7?

Maybe your parallels was causing some conflict? and I don't know what the akamai is referring to.

One easy way to try to isolate the problem is to do a fresh install of OS X on another small HDD partition, update it and see if the same problem is there with that. If not then you know it's a software issue with your current installation.

Hi ZenGiga

Do you still have the shutdown issue or did repairing permissions help?

Hey EnzoFX

Hey. Paralles and the Akamai Adobe installer is defenetly not the problem

I removed all of this...

everytime i reboot or shutdown...

when i shutdown verbose he says :

unable to unmount

/ home

/ net

everytime i reboot or shutdown...

when i shutdown verbose he says :

unable to unmount

/ home

/ net

That's strange as those are folders and not volumes? My Unix isn't brilliant so maybe there's a plausible reason why you're seeing that message. Have you tried un-mounting them manually?

Did you try repairing permissions as Zengiga suggested?

Have you a secondary OS X installation to test with and compare the differences to your file system?

That's strange as those are folders and not volumes? My Unix isn't brilliant so maybe there's a plausible reason why you're seeing that message. Have you tried un-mounting them manually?

Did you try repairing permissions as Zengiga suggested?

Have you a secondary OS X installation to test with and compare the differences to your file system?

yes that are folders

i have only one installation on one hard drive, where all is in /

So this has only happened since updating to 10.6.6?

Have you tried the combo updater for 10.6.7?

Both ! but only when the Hackmack is in longer use ....

Ive just installed the newest Cameleon RC5 build 7xx

let u know if that solves the problem...

thx ! :()

Both ! but only when the Hackmack is in longer use ....

Ive just installed the newest Cameleon RC5 build 7xx

let u know if that solves the problem...

thx ! :o)

Nope - same

The exacly terminal output is :

lill all process

continunig

unmount /home (45)

unmount /net (45)

failed

then nothing happens

Hm : about this mac says that i have an core 2 duo

but i have an pentium 4 dual core

is it necessary to change it ?

Hey EnzoFX

Using the same 3 detailed in the latest What's New PDF, though using the ATI kext in place of Nvidia.

That is: FakeSMCIntelThermal, FakeSMCSuperIO, FakeSMCRadeon

Also using latest DSDT on there, did the DSDT require any editing to allow these kexts to work, perhaps to label the different temperature/fan speed readings? Curious if I could apply the same FakeSMC+Plugins to any other hack.

Thank you.

Edit: Don't think the dsdt required editing, sweet.