[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

I've patched my DSDT a bunch of times, and at this point I'm not completely sure it is the same one as yours. so, I tried your DSDT and in fact I had a kernel panic justa after chameleon.

I'm not getting audio in the system preferences, but I am seeing the audio in my system profilier, which seems strange.

As for the USB audio device, the available current listed is 500, and the required current is 480, so it should work. However, the control panel for the device does not see it, and the led on the unit does not light up. It does work when connected to my 10.6.6 powerbook.

I'll install bios F11 and try your DSDT when I get a chance. I'm in the middle of a few jobs right now, so I dare not try it until they get out the door.

Thanks!

Ever consider starting from scratch on your DSDT? I'm finding this thread a big help.

Hi all.

I haven't spent any time here recently because:

1) Snow Leopard is running so well these days.

2) most questions have been asked and answered before.

3) I'd got a bit bored.

However, I haven't stopped playing with my hack and have still got the same hardware. The reason for this post is just to say the good 'ol EP45-DS3L runs the 10.7 developer preview just fine.

Here's a couple of screenshots:

post-331032-1299796825_thumb.jpg

post-331032-1299796835_thumb.jpg

If any of you are wondering whether or not if I'll write a guide for installing it, then the answer is no. There are already many install guides out there all based on usr-sse2's original installation guide, though beware that Apple may well change a lot of things before the final release of 10.7 and these procedures may not work then (though that is just pure speculation).

However, a note to all. Don't feel rushed to try out the Lion developer preview if you don't want to as Snow Leopard is still the main kitty for now and will be for a while longer yet.

Regards

blackosx

Did anyone try to use eSATA? I'm using only the orange SATA ports in my mobo, and one of the SATA ports is using that external connector that comes with the mobo. I recently bought a docking station that uses that eSATA port, but it only works if I plug the HD and turn it on before booting OSX.

My OSX is detecting the disk as external, I can eject it, but I can't hot-swap to another HD (it shows the previous one as still connected) and if I only turn the docking station on while OSX is running it doesn't detect my HD.

Is there anything I can do to enable eSATA and hot-swap?

Great!

The lion roars!

:)

Hi all.

I haven't spent any time here recently because:

1) Snow Leopard is running so well these days.

2) most questions have been asked and answered before.

3) I'd got a bit bored.

However, I haven't stopped playing with my hack and have still got the same hardware. The reason for this post is just to say the good 'ol EP45-DS3L runs the 10.7 developer preview just fine.

Here's a couple of screenshots:

post-331032-1299796825_thumb.jpg

post-331032-1299796835_thumb.jpg

If any of you are wondering whether or not if I'll write a guide for installing it, then the answer is no. There are already many install guides out there all based on usr-sse2's original installation guide, though beware that Apple may well change a lot of things before the final release of 10.7 and these procedures may not work then (though that is just pure speculation).

However, a note to all. Don't feel rushed to try out the Lion developer preview if you don't want to as Snow Leopard is still the main kitty for now and will be for a while longer yet.

Regards

blackosx

Ever consider starting from scratch on your DSDT? I'm finding this thread a big help.

OK,

So I desperately need sound to work so I went ahead and took blackosx's advice on upgrading my bios and uding the DSDT from the support files.

Sure enough, now I'm able to boot from that dsdt and the plist included in the support files.

Still: NO SOUND!!!!!

I've followed the directions TO THE TEE, about 20 times, still nothing. So, what I'm thinking is that I have a kext conflict or something.

Man I need help, I have a program called Sound Miner that will work with another sound device, but ONLY if the internal sound also works (don't ask me why). I so need to fix this problem, and I'm just out of ideas.

-Mike

And you are using the correct kexts in /E/E? And you ran Kext utility to update everything?

I went into my extensions and manually searched for any stray sound kexts that might be conflicting. Low and behold I found one, and now IT WORKSSSSS!!

Eeegahds that was 5 hours I'll never get back. At one point, the system wouldn't even boot up. It was an odyssey that I'm glad is over.

System works great. Thanks so much for all the help.

Mac OSX 10.6.7 is out!

Hi Z4g0r. Thanks for the heads up. No problems updating here. :)

10.6.7 System Update

Note: As always, apply the system update to your backup secondary OS X system first. This will allow you to check everything is working before updating your main system.

Using Software Update from the Apple menu is a straight forward update after which I didn't have to do anything. Of course this is assuming nobody is still using SleepEnabler - see update post for 10.6.6.

If anyone uses the combo update then you will need to re-add your patched AppleHDA.kext. Just use the same one you were using for 10.6.6.

Also, anybody using lnx2mac's Realtek81xx.kext inside IONetworking.kext in /E/E, I recommend now just adding Realtek81xx.kext directly in to /S/L/E and removing the IONetworking.kext from /E/E.

That's all I have for now as I am not at my hack any longer today, but I did the update this morning and haven't noticed any issues with my hardware. If anyone finds other info then please share for the others here. Thanks.

I went into my extensions and manually searched for any stray sound kexts that might be conflicting. Low and behold I found one, and now IT WORKSSSSS!!

Out of curiosity which stray kext did you find? as you did say you followed the instructions to a tee.

That's why I asked the simple questions, usually it's something staring us right in the face. Cheers!

Thanks for helping Actualsizeaudio here bigpoppa206 :)

That's why I asked the simple questions, usually it's something staring us right in the face. Cheers!

Well, yeah, in the end it was a simple problem, though since I didn't put the extension in there myself (I think Miultibeast, or some other desperate attempt was the culprit) , I wasn't familiar with what it was called. As a result I had to comb over every extension and google the name of it to find it.

Simple, but tedious solution. I'm just thrilled it worked.

Thanks again.

Hi Z4g0r. Thanks for the heads up. No problems updating here. :)

10.6.7 System Update

Note: As always, apply the system update to your backup secondary OS X system first. This will allow you to check everything is working before updating your main system.

Using Software Update from the Apple menu is a straight forward update after which I didn't have to do anything. Of course this is assuming nobody is still using SleepEnabler - see update post for 10.6.6.

If anyone uses the combo update then you will need to re-add your patched AppleHDA.kext. Just use the same one you were using for 10.6.6.

Also, anybody using lnx2mac's Realtek81xx.kext inside IONetworking.kext in /E/E, I recommend now just adding Realtek81xx.kext directly in to /S/L/E and removing the IONetworking.kext from /E/E.

I know I don't have the exact same system as you guys but I moved over to Mac full time using the basic blackosx method and have just updated to 10.6.7 and separated Realtek81xx.kext as advised.

All seems ok so far, I did have a KP (Grey screen telling me to press power button...right?) just after Plex updated itself (Is there a way to check what caused it?) but it has been fine since.

Out of curiosity which stray kext did you find? as you did say you followed the instructions to a tee.

Thanks for helping Actualsizeaudio here bigpoppa206 :)

Now, I followed your instructions to a tee AFTER I had OSX running on this machine. quick history:

Was EFI-x machine, finally got around to building Chameleon boot drive with your instructions. Didn't work due to old bios. Found a DSDT on the web for my bios. Worked well, but no sound. Tried your sound instructions after trying about a half a dozen other ones, didn't work. On your advice put new bios in, used your DSDT. Didn't work till I purged system of all other sound drivers.

What was in there was some old audio driver from one of my vain attempts, it had nothing to do with your instructions. Every time something didn't work I was careful to clean things up, but I guess I wasn't careful enough. Now that I think of it, I should have asked someone for a screen shot of their kexts folder.

Thanks again.

Good news from 10.6.7 !

In the last update comes the support for a lot of new ATI Graphic Cards: ATI Radeon HD 5630, ATI Radeon HD 5670, ATI Radeon HD 5730, ATI Radeon HD 5770, ATI Radeon HD 5850, ATI Radeon HD 5870, AMD Radeon HD 6850, AMD Radeon HD 6870, AMD Radeon HD 6970

@D-an-W - Well done with your update. My system is very stable so hopefully yours is too now.

@Actualsizeaudio - no worries. Happy playing with your machine :rolleyes:

@Z4g0r - Keep up the good reports. Hopefully other ATI users will be happy to read the new support.

It must have been Plex that caused it as I had no KP's logged and it has been fine since!

As a new project I am going to try adding a genuine apple bluetooth module (I get bored if things don't need tweaking!?!)...

I had a pretty smooth update to 10.6.7

Only issue is I cannot get bonjour networking up and running again.

I had originally installed 10.6 and then did the combo update to 10.6.6. After that I used the realtekRTL81xx installer package to get bonjour networking running. Doing that worked perfectly, I did not have to put the patched IONetworkFamily.kext into the E/E folder or anything like that.

Now that I am in 10.6.7 the realtek installer is no longer restoring bonjour networking. I tried the manual way from the guide (placing realtekRTL81xx.kext into the plugin folder within the IONetworkfamily.kext and putting that into the E/E folder). Also tried putting that patched kext right into S/L/E but that did not work either. I think thats what BLackOSX was saying to do in the initial 10.6.7 update post. Maybe I misunderstood?

I also put the realtekTRL81xx.kext itself right into S/L/E, after a few seconds got an error message and that did not work either.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

I had a pretty smooth update to 10.6.7

I had originally installed 10.6 and then did the combo update to 10.6.6. After that I used the realtekRTL81xx installer package to get bonjour networking running. Doing that worked perfectly, I did not have to put the patched IONetworkFamily.kext into the E/E folder or anything like that.

Now that I am in 10.6.7 the realtek installer is no longer restoring bonjour networking. I tried the manual way from the guide (placing realtekRTL81xx.kext into the plugin folder within the IONetworkfamily.kext and putting that into the E/E folder). Also tried putting that patched kext right into S/L/E but that did not work either. I think thats what BLackOSX was saying to do in the initial 10.6.7 update post. Maybe I misunderstood?

I also put the realtekTRL81xx.kext itself right into S/L/E, after a few seconds got an error message and that did not work either.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

I just stuck Lnx2Mac's realtekRTL81xx.kext in S/L/E, ran Kext Utility and rebooted.

I just stuck Lnx2Mac's realtekRTL81xx.kext in S/L/E, ran Kext Utility and rebooted.

Thanks for the help. I just tried that. The realtek kext is still in my S/L/E so i downloaded Kext Utility and ran it. Now I can log into my hackintosh from other networked computers, however no networked computers show up on my hackintosh. Kinda weird eh??

As a new project I am going to try adding a genuine apple bluetooth module (I get bored if things don't need tweaking!?!)...

Good luck with the Bluetooth module, but Lol.. I know exactly what you mean about getting bored if nothing needs tinkering with. That's just shows our love for the hobby. It's just don't have the same amount of time available to do so now as I used to.

Hi zampe

Yep. I no longer bother with adding Lnx2Mac's Realtek driver in to another copy IONetworking.kext in /E/E. That was just my attempt at keeping a clean Apple System/Library/Extensions folder but it doesn't matter now and to be honest Lnx2Mac's driver is designed to live in /S/L/E anyhow.

As for adding the RealtekRTL81xx.kext manually in to /S/L/E, you will need to check the ownership/permissions and have the caches rebuilt before it will probably work. I now use Lnx2Mac's Realtek driver installer, as you have done previously, as it's simple and works great. I also used it on the Lion developer preview and my iPhone->iTunes Remote control works just fine.

Just a quick tip for anyone trying to use eSATA with hot-plug support:

By putting JMicron36xeSATA.kext (attached) in /E/E I was able to use the purple SATA slots (JMicron SATA) in my hackintosh, and they both have hot-plug support. I couldn't use hot-plug with the orange slots (Intel SATA). Don't forget to enable the on-board SATA controller (and set it to AHCI) in your BIOS.

Another tip: there's a new FakeSMC release (http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1643, look for Release 10.6). I replaced mine with this newer one in /E/E and used some of its plugins (depends on your hardware), now I have access to all my system sensors in iStat Menus (CPU, System and GPU temperature, fan speeds, CPU voltage).

Cheers!

JMicron36xeSATA.kext.zip

Just a quick tip for anyone trying to use eSATA with hot-plug support:

By putting JMicron36xeSATA.kext (attached) in /E/E I was able to use the purple SATA slots (JMicron SATA) in my hackintosh, and they both have hot-plug support. I couldn't use hot-plug with the orange slots (Intel SATA). Don't forget to enable the on-board SATA controller (and set it to AHCI) in your BIOS.

Another tip: there's a new FakeSMC release (http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1643, look for Release 10.6). I replaced mine with this newer one in /E/E and used some of its plugins (depends on your hardware), now I have access to all my system sensors in iStat Menus (CPU, System and GPU temperature, fan speeds, CPU voltage).

Cheers!

JMicron36xeSATA.kext.zip

Nice info "cheapo"

I'd also like to make a note on these guides. THEY ARE GREAT!

One small detail that I felt was essential was that you forgot to mention on PART I that Windows 7 partition needs to be the first or second partition; no other partition works (if you are planning to dual boot). I know you mentioned this in Part 9; but I didn't read it until I was done installing my system :D

Awesome work you have put together!

Thanks!