[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

I was looking for feedback on 5.1 surround using coaxial out. With DSDT, I can confirm that the output is working at least for stereo !

Another problem, still with nvinject.kext. I did put the r1000.kext for Bonjour in S/L/E and it worked. Then I moved my nvinject but it is not even loading. How come ?

I have a 7300 GS and the only way it's working is using DSDT, then I have only vga out and not dual !

@blackosx Finally managed a solid install with Cham and snow partitions boots 64 OK, only hassle now is not sure if dsdt.aml is loading because even though cmos fix applied doesn't work on reboot also and more of a hassle I cannot get to work with 8800 gts tried dsdt graphics and also efi string but always defaults to basic nvidia driver. Any possible things to try?

Thanks again for a great guide and your help

Type 14=page fault kernel panic.

Hi, After I created the usb installation driver, then I boot it, it gives me type 14=page fault kernel panic. 

Anyone having the same problem? 

I have included my DSDT, which works in 10.5.8.

I was installing the 10.6 from a 16G Thumb drive. My motherboard is p35-ds3l, and my cpu is q6600. 

I think both are quite compatible with the vanilla kernel. 

Thanks,

Kay

post-247244-1251941261_thumb.jpg

Awesome Guide Man.

Looks very professional.

Hi dakku

There was a post here from g_MAC saying he had found out how to do this from CaptainNemo's post, but I haven't looked in to it.

EDIT: But the way I understand Chameleon is that it will only load kexts from the active partition. In this case, the Chameleon volume is the active partition so regardless of which partition (10.5 or 10.6) you select, it will always attempt to load what ever is in the /Extra folder.

Now I haven't tried this from RC2 v640, but a while back when I was testing with RC1 v431, I created 2 x partitions, and each partition had a 10.5 system installed on it and I then installed chameleon on to each of those partitions with the idea that I could use a different set of kexts for each system for testing. But I could only ever get Chameleon to use the extra folder on the first partition, never from the second partition. Now if this situation has changed with RC2 v640 and it can now load a different set of kexts dependent on which system is selected to boot then yes, in theory it can be done.

Does that make sense?

thanks for the info blackosx, i gave it a shot but it hasnt worked, still get kernal panic when i try to boot into snow leopard, none of the commands work either, ive tried -v, -s, i just cant seem to get into it. donno what im doing wrong.

i have not seen this issue posted yet...

when i boot into 64-bit my PCI cards no longer work (WiFi, and Firewire PCI Cards). they work fine in 32-bit, but fail to show up in 64-bit.

anyone have this happen to them? any idea why?

Actually you may have just pointed to the answer. It sounds like the drivers are not compatible in 64bit mode. So may have to wait until someone recompiles them to overcome this problem.

Ok so I can boot with -s or with -f. I cannot directly boot up without using one of them. Anyone know why? Here is the KP if I don't use -s or -f.

153tweq.jpg

Hopefully someone can make sense of this.

Thanks! ;)

Actually I'd be interested in the line right above the first one where it says panic. That's where the problem is happening.

I have all of the kexts installed from your support file-kext folder which includes IOAHCBlockStorageInjector.kext installed in chameleon/E/E

As far as the HDD issue, All of my drives are internal Sata drives. In finder pref's some are showing up as internal and some are showing up as external. The 2 drives that are showing up as internal have chameleon installed with osx 10.5.5 & 10.5.6.

hi flyguyjake

I am not sure why some of your HD's are showing as external. Maybe it has to do with your mobo doesn't natively support ICH10? in which case you will need to install ACHIPortInjector.kext from somewhere..

I say 99% success only because I still am having issues with Sleep, but if forced I could live with it. I have reinstalled all my programs, everything seems to be rock solid. Have noticed when I don't compile an Extensions.mkext in E/E that verbose mode on startup shows some kexts not loading properly and using Kext Utility fixed that in a jiffy.

Now if I could just figure out how to finance a Supermicro MBD-X8DAH+-O Dual LGA 1366 with twin Xeon W5590 processors and 144 gigs of DDR3 RAM, hehehe!

Hi bigpoppa206

Thanks and well done.

Interesting about the Extensions.mkext.. Are you using any Extra/different kexts to the ones in my support files?

Maybe your sleep issue is to do with USB? If so have a look at this from stellarolla's blog.

ps... you had better start saving for your wonder machine .. he he

I was looking for feedback on 5.1 surround using coaxial out. With DSDT, I can confirm that the output is working at least for stereo !

Another problem, still with nvinject.kext. I did put the r1000.kext for Bonjour in S/L/E and it worked. Then I moved my nvinject but it is not even loading. How come ?

I have a 7300 GS and the only way it's working is using DSDT, then I have only vga out and not dual !

Hi philippebezoteaux

Well done for getting stereo out of your digital audio. But I think from the discussion we had with titan4 previously, it's safe to say to improve on digital audio, we are going to need to look at a patched AppleHDA and that will require reading MadTux's thread (I posted a link to it earlier). Now I have no need for this, so maybe one day when I have some spare time I might look in to it, but if you need it sooner, then maybe you can have a look in to it and let us know how you get on?

Good news with getting your 7300GS working with DSDT, but I guess it just needs tweaking somehow to get DVI output rather than VGA.

You put RealtekR1000.kext in /S/L/E and it worked?.. we don't need to use RealtekR1000 anymore.

Then you moved nvinject.kext but its not even loading?.. moved it where?

Like I have said to you before, I don't use nvinject.kext so I have never tried using it from E/E.

@blackosx Finally managed a solid install with Cham and snow partitions boots 64 OK, only hassle now is not sure if dsdt.aml is loading because even though cmos fix applied doesn't work on reboot also and more of a hassle I cannot get to work with 8800 gts tried dsdt graphics and also efi string but always defaults to basic nvidia driver. Any possible things to try?

Thanks again for a great guide and your help

hi 121fred and well done for your solid install ;)

To see if DSDT is loading.....

When you boot, and you are at the Chameleon device selection screen, highlight your required system, press down arrow to bring up the menu and select Verbose boot, then press enter. Just after you press enter, hit the pause button on the keyboard to pause the boot process. Then at anytime hit another key to start it going again. You can use this method to read the screen and help see any problems etc... But the very last line (I think) will say something like 'Found DSDT'...

Unfortunately, you are going to have to try again with your 8800GTS.. It should work from either DSDT or device (EFI) strings in com.apple.Boot.plist. There is a string for the 8800GTS 640MB on aquamacs thread if that's any use?

Hi, After I created the usb installation driver, then I boot it, it gives me type 14=page fault kernel panic. 

....I have included my DSDT, which works in 10.5.8.

....I was installing the 10.6 from a 16G Thumb drive. My motherboard is p35-ds3l, and my cpu is q6600. 

kaykayk,

So let me get this clear... this KP happens after you boot from your USB install drive and when installing 10.6?

Awesome Guide Man.

Looks very professional.

Thanks noob766, your guide is doing well too.. well done :P

thanks for the info blackosx, i gave it a shot but it hasnt worked, still get kernal panic when i try to boot into snow leopard, none of the commands work either, ive tried -v, -s, i just cant seem to get into it. donno what im doing wrong.

Your previous problem....

can someone help me dual boot leopard and snow leopard from the same hard drive but on different partitions? ive got leopard installed on the first partition with chameleon rc2 running on it, i want to install snow leo onto the second partition and still keeping my leopard. ive tried to install snow, all works fine but i cant seem to get my head around chameleon, where do i install it? over my existing chameleon on leopard drive or on snow? if i do install it on snow and try to reboot i get kp right away.

So you've still got both Leopard and SnowLeopard installed, and both are still running fine? I have to ask, how did you get to boot SnowLeopard before for you to report it all works fine?

Like I said before, it seems Chameleon only likes to use one Extra folder, so if that Extra folder contains all your stuff for 10.5 then you can't use it to boot 10.6.. Boogi also confirmed this perviously.. As you have both 10.5 & 10.6 on the same drive, you are going to have to use a USB drive to boot one of your systems and use the Chameleon on the HD to boot the other.

Well done for getting stereo out of your digital audio. But I think from the discussion we had with titan4 previously, it's safe to say to improve on digital audio, we are going to need to look at a patched AppleHDA and that will require reading MadTux's thread (I posted a link to it earlier). Now I have no need for this, so maybe one day when I have some spare time I might look in to it, but if you need it sooner, then maybe you can have a look in to it and let us know how you get on?

As I said before I am going to look at it since I want it as well. Actually I found other guide which looks more readable here. Only thing I don't know is when because i am little busy these days and this requires either installing windows or using linux live cd to get some codec dump.

blackosx, thank you. you are amazing!

i have finished setup SL on my GA-P31-DS3L / 8600GT sucessfully.

but at the last step, setup chameleon on 1st partition, i failed.

i run chameleon and it went well but failed.

it can't be setup onto Cham or SnowLeopard partiotions as you teach but EFI partition.

i can't edit files on EFI partion.

so

do you have any idea for me about this situation?

thank you.

Hi philippebezoteaux

Good news with getting your 7300GS working with DSDT, but I guess it just needs tweaking somehow to get DVI output rather than VGA.

You put RealtekR1000.kext in /S/L/E and it worked?.. we don't need to use RealtekR1000 anymore.

Then you moved nvinject.kext but its not even loading?.. moved it where?

Like I have said to you before, I don't use nvinject.kext so I have never tried using it from E/E.

Ok I guess that nvinject not loading from S/L/E or E/E is due to the fact that it might not be compatible with 64bits. Yes I started directly in 64.

Then this morning, I quickly tried to boot in 32bits but I get KP right on boot.

I'm gonna do a fresh install from the start and see if it works.

As for the 5.1 surround on coaxial out, I will investigate in other topics but as far as I've gone, iti is true that I will need to patch AppleHDA.

I'll keep you posted !

As I said before I am going to look at it since I want it as well. Actually I found other guide which looks more readable here. Only thing I don't know is when because i am little busy these days and this requires either installing windows or using linux live cd to get some codec dump.

I have a linux codec dump for this mobo somwehere. I did one in the past when I was trying to get my DSDT audio working. I will have a look around and see if I can did it out from some old backups.

but at the last step, setup chameleon on 1st partition, i failed.

....it can't be setup onto Cham or SnowLeopard partiotions as you teach but EFI partition.

.....i can't edit files on EFI partion.

Hi long1220

Did you run the Chameleon installer from 10.5?

When I did this guide I installed to the EFI partition and in the PDF are instructions on how to install to it etc.

Ok I guess that nvinject not loading from S/L/E or E/E is due to the fact that it might not be compatible with 64bits. Yes I started directly in 64.

Then this morning, I quickly tried to boot in 32bits but I get KP right on boot.

I'm gonna do a fresh install from the start and see if it works.

As for the 5.1 surround on coaxial out, I will investigate in other topics but as far as I've gone, iti is true that I will need to patch AppleHDA.

I'll keep you posted !

It could well be a 64-bit kext issue... but as for 32-bit mode not working? I don't know...

Good luck with the fresh install. But I found, once I had sussed how to install 10.6, it was easy to install it again ;)

As for 5.1, I think between you can titan4 (with any input I can help with) something is going to happen?

Your previous problem....

can someone help me dual boot leopard and snow leopard from the same hard drive but on different partitions? ive got leopard installed on the first partition with chameleon rc2 running on it, i want to install snow leo onto the second partition and still keeping my leopard. ive tried to install snow, all works fine but i cant seem to get my head around chameleon, where do i install it? over my existing chameleon on leopard drive or on snow? if i do install it on snow and try to reboot i get kp right away.

So you've still got both Leopard and SnowLeopard installed, and both are still running fine? I have to ask, how did you get to boot SnowLeopard before for you to report it all works fine?

Like I said before, it seems Chameleon only likes to use one Extra folder, so if that Extra folder contains all your stuff for 10.5 then you can't use it to boot 10.6.. Boogi also confirmed this perviously.. As you have both 10.5 & 10.6 on the same drive, you are going to have to use a USB drive to boot one of your systems and use the Chameleon on the HD to boot the other.

sorry i meant that the install works fine, i havent actually been able to boot into it and having a look at flyguyjake's shot, im having the same problem. only difference is that i cant boot in with -s or -f.

I have a small correction for the guide: when explaining how to copy the Netkas boot file to the Cham volume, you instruct

cp -f boot/Volumes/Cham/

The is a space missing after "boot", so the command doesn't work. This caused a noob like me some headaches ;)

It should be

cp -f boot /Volumes/Cham/

I'm trying to get Snow Leopard up and running right now, haven't made it through the whole guide yet :D

I have a small correction for the guide: when explaining how to copy the Netkas boot file to the Cham volume, you instruct

cp -f boot/Volumes/Cham/

The is a space missing after "boot", so the command doesn't work. This caused a noob like me some headaches ;)

It should be

I'm trying to get Snow Leopard up and running right now, haven't made it through the whole guide yet ;)

Well I am looking at Guide v2.1 and if you copy and paste from the PDF you will discover that

at the Bottom of page 3 it reads..

cp -f boot /Volumes/Install/

and at the Top of page 11 it reads...

Now if you're questioning the kerning of the Frutiger typeface to help with reading it then I can try and widen it next time I update it.

Well I am looking at Guide v2.1 and if you copy and paste from the PDF you will discover that

at the Bottom of page 3 it reads..

cp -f boot /Volumes/Install/

and at the Top of page 11 it reads...

Now if you're questioning the kerning of the Frutiger typeface to help with reading it then I can try and widen it next time I update it.

That's strange because when I copy that line from the PDF and paste it anywhere, there is no space after 'boot' ;)

Must be just my system then.

@Blackosx and others

Just wanted to say thanks for all your input, time and effort. My Snow Leopard is running as well as it can until I can find a working kext for ethernet 64 bit. I'm using a USB stick with my own dsdt.aml and the cmos fix, efi string etc. All kexts are within E/E so I've got a 100% vanilla system on my #1 system. Thanks again.

post-102833-1251981708_thumb.jpg

That's strange because when I copy that line from the PDF and paste it anywhere, there is no space after 'boot' :)

Must be just my system then.

Okay, no probs, but at least you are past that point anyway. Good luck with the rest of the build :)

@Blackosx and others

Just wanted to say thanks for all your input, time and effort. My Snow Leopard is running as well as it can until I can find a working kext for ethernet 64 bit. I'm using a USB stick with my own dsdt.aml and the cmos fix, efi string etc. All kexts are within E/E so I've got a 100% vanilla system on my #1 system. Thanks again.

This is great. Thanks for letting me know BJMoose... And you've got an i7 ! ;)

Quick question: In your 'About This Mac' window, your CPU is identified correctly. It that down to your mobo identifiying it and supplying the details to the OS, or have you patched the system to display it correctly?

Thanks for the excellent guide black osx.

I follow your guide put cant pass step 3b. Create a bootable USB drive containing Mac OS X 10.6. I can boot on my external usb drive and see both chameleon and the apple logo, but when is ready to launch the installation I get a black screen and my monitor goes off. Anyone have some inputs on this? I did try the search feature by the way :rolleyes:

Thanks

Quick question: In your 'About This Mac' window, your CPU is identified correctly. It that down to your mobo identifiying it and supplying the details to the OS, or have you patched the system to display it correctly?

One of the first tweaks I learned back in the early days of Tiger 10.4.4+ was to edit the AboutThisMac.strings file. That doesn't seem to be affected by updates...at least it didn't from updates 10.5.2 and above.

Thanks for the excellent guide black osx.

I follow your guide put cant pass step 3b. Create a bootable USB drive containing Mac OS X 10.6. I can boot on my external usb drive and see both chameleon and the apple logo, but when is ready to launch the installation I get a black screen and my monitor goes off. Anyone have some inputs on this? I did try the search feature by the way :rolleyes:

Thanks

Hi macpapi. What hardware are you running? It sounds like a video card issue?

One of the first tweaks I learned back in the early days of Tiger 10.4.4+ was to edit the AboutThisMac.strings file. That doesn't seem to be affected by updates...at least it didn't from updates 10.5.2 and above.

Thanks for letting me know. It's just a couple of people were asking me this in my DSDT thread and I didn't know the answer, as my 'About this Mac' window is like this. I will let them know.. Thanks BJMoose.