[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi

Great guide :D

I have used your guide to do a vanilla 10.6.5 install on my Ga-EP35-DS3L motherboard. Is getting fairly old now but still runs really well.

Anyway everything is working for me except sleep. It just freezes up as it shuts off and then i have to hit reset to reboot it.

Does anyone know if i need to do anything extra to get sleep to work on this board?

Its a pain cus its working perfect apart from that. :huh:

Cheers Guys

Hi, thanks for the great guide! Last time I did OSx86 was back in Kalyway and iAtkos 10.5 releases... I'm gonna be following this guide with an EP43-DS3L, E8400 and ATI HD4850...just have a quick question. My Win7 HDD is almost full so I'm gonna be getting a second SATA drive...Can I install OS X onto this drive and then choose between the two to select which OS I want to boot? Does this guide also work with a 10.6.3 retail dvd (assuming I will have to update to 10.6.4 after install)? Also a couple posts up you mention the 4870 is supported without issues...is the 4850 also supported, or will I need PC-EFI?

Thanks again!

Hi, thanks for the great guide! Last time I did OSx86 was back in Kalyway and iAtkos 10.5 releases... I'm gonna be following this guide with an EP43-DS3L, E8400 and ATI HD4850...just have a quick question. My Win7 HDD is almost full so I'm gonna be getting a second SATA drive...Can I install OS X onto this drive and then choose between the two to select which OS I want to boot? Does this guide also work with a 10.6.3 retail dvd (assuming I will have to update to 10.6.4 after install)? Also a couple posts up you mention the 4870 is supported without issues...is the 4850 also supported, or will I need PC-EFI?

Thanks again!

Hey Bob, I just used the guide last week and followed all the instructions and it worked pretty much flawlessly. I had Win7 installed and when I went to follow this guide, I disconnected the windows drive and put it to the side. After I finished installing Mac OSX (following this guide), I hooked up the windows drive again, told Bios to boot from the mac drive and when it gets to the chameleon bootloader screen, my windows drive appears as a choice. All I had to do was choose it and windows booted back up. So, I guess all I am saying is, after youre done installing OSX, just hook windows backup and choose it from the bootloader screen.. There are no special additional steps you have to take.

To ANYONE ELSE:

Anyone have any clue about my DVD troubles as noted in my post above?

Can't we just use chameleon from boot CD to select the DVD drive and then swap the retail DVD in?

Hi bob78h - Yes, you can do just that. Though some users have problems booting from the BootCD so that's why the other methods exist.

Also a couple posts up you mention the 4870 is supported without issues...is the 4850 also supported, or will I need PC-EFI?

As I haven't used an ATI card with my hack, I am not 100% sure exactly what cards are supported by which booter - but there are plenty of topics at InsanelyMac about ATI cards and I am sure you can get the answer bv searching. But if in doubt, maybe try Kabyl's modified Chameleon booter which I linked to here. To use it, you will need to install Chameleon as described in the PDF guides here, then just replace the 'boot' file on the root of your Cham partition with Kabyl's version.

Anyone have any clue about my DVD troubles as noted in my post above?

Hi maltice - All I know is that some DVD drives have caused users problems in the past. It has been noted that there are a couple of problem brands, but that's mainly when it comes to behaving with OS X with regard to sleep etc. But as for your issue - I don't really have a solution other than maybe to try another bootCD from a different topic, just to allow you to boot and swap in the retail DVD, then once you have OS X installed you can go back to using the BootCD from here.

Hi

I have used your guide to do a vanilla 10.6.5 install on my Ga-EP35-DS3L motherboard. Is getting fairly old now but still runs really well.

../snip/..

Does anyone know if i need to do anything extra to get sleep to work on this board?

I recommend you check MaLd0n's thread as it's specific for the GA-EP35-DS3.

This guide is great, but I have a problem. When I get to the dd command for boot1h (I'm doing dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2 according to the identifier) it says "Invalid argument". And if I try "disk1s2" instead of "rdisk1s2" (I have no idea what the difference is) I get "Resource busy" (and it's not...).

This is what I get when I do diskutil list:

bash-3.2# diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE

IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *465.8 Gi disk0

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS DISCO DURO 465.4 Gi disk0s2

/dev/disk1

IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *7.4 Gi disk1

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS OSX 7.1 Gi disk1s2

I believe I'm doing everything right, I've checked 100 times and everything is done according to the guide. So what's wrong? Please, someone help!!

I would like to add a second GTX 260- found a deal on the interweb but have not purchased yet... should there be any problems simply plugging this in and booting up like the existing GTX 260?

Well, assuming the motherboard you have has more than one slot, and you can physically fit two graphics cards in side by side (sometimes those big fans and coolers prevent that), I don't see why not. But afaik osx doesn't support any SLI style stuff, so it'd just be for extra monitors?

ymmv though, I have no experience of this. :)

This guide is great, but I have a problem. When I get to the dd command for boot1h (I'm doing dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2 according to the identifier) it says "Invalid argument". And if I try "disk1s2" instead of "rdisk1s2" (I have no idea what the difference is) I get "Resource busy" (and it's not...).

This is what I get when I do diskutil list:

bash-3.2# diskutil list

/dev/disk0

IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *465.8 Gi disk0

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS DISCO DURO 465.4 Gi disk0s2

/dev/disk1

IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *7.4 Gi disk1

1: EFI 200.0 Mi disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS OSX 7.1 Gi disk1s2

I believe I'm doing everything right, I've checked 100 times and everything is done according to the guide. So what's wrong? Please, someone help!!

Bump for HELP!!! :)

Hi maltice - All I know is that some DVD drives have caused users problems in the past. It has been noted that there are a couple of problem brands, but that's mainly when it comes to behaving with OS X with regard to sleep etc. But as for your issue - I don't really have a solution other than maybe to try another bootCD from a different topic, just to allow you to boot and swap in the retail DVD, then once you have OS X installed you can go back to using the BootCD from here.

Thanks again for the response.. Since then, I haven't had any troubles with the drive. For the first week I had it up and running I couldn't use the DVD drive, it would fail when reading the discs. I wasn't even able to make disk images with disk utility and had to do it with my laptop instead. Then, recently, I went to work on this again to see if I could figure it out and whaddya know.. It just works now. So, not sure what it was, but it seems fixed. I can happily report that my hackintosh is up to date with all the latest everything and running very well. Thanks again.

-maltice

Maltice, that would appear to fall under 'a problem shared is a problem solved' category.

A little bit more on the booting issue I had.

I did an experiment to see if my laptop's SSD would have a beneficial effect on the performance levels.

I made the 2 partitions, installed OS10.6 from the usb stick, then a Cham install package install of the boot files to the Cham partition.

Deja vu with not booting, just get as far as 'veryfying DMI pool data'

I then made the Cham partition active with fdisk commands, but this made no difference to the booting.

I started again, installed the boot files from the support files via the terminal and then it booted and functioned normally.

Later I deleted just this boot file from the Cham Volume and installed the boot file from Cham package installer and that boots normally.

At the very least, the mental pain involved, over the last year, learning how to use the terminal through Blackosx's tutorials paid off, but some mystery remains as I don't know yet what I am doing different to be getting this booting issue. A previous cloning of a Snow Leopard Volume with CCloner was thought to be a suspect, but this can be disregarded.

Anyway happy new year to you Blackosx, thanks for all the hard hours you have put in so far to express, simply and clearly, procedures which had once appeared so convoluted.

Anyway happy new year to you Blackosx, thanks for all the hard hours you have put in so far to express, simply and clearly, procedures which had once appeared so convoluted.

Sorry that I haven't been around much lately, but thanks geithals - Happy new year to you and everyone else here :rolleyes:

@72U11 - I know you said you've tried it 100 times but the command works and I've used it many times. It's strange you get the "Invalid argument" message? The steps in the PDF are correct and if you've followed then exactly as you say then I'm not sure what the problem is. How about you try iFabio's RC5 installer to your USB?

@72U11 - I know you said you've tried it 100 times but the command works and I've used it many times. It's strange you get the "Invalid argument" message? The steps in the PDF are correct and if you've followed then exactly as you say then I'm not sure what the problem is. How about you try iFabio's RC5 installer to your USB?

Hey, thanks for your reply. I can't try this right now, but I'll be sure to post back when I'm able to try again. :)

I'm pretty sure I've done everything according to the PDF, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try once more, and there's this iFabio thing too, so wish me luck and thanks again. :)

perfecto, i'm using only 1 drive, when i boot i press f12 the choose the harddisk. it got 3 partition like you sugested. cham, andy, backup.

when i boot from bootcd, i only got 2 choice, the boot cd and andy. should i reformat the cham and redo step 3 from your guide?

Check to see if the cham partition is flagged active. To set it active, boot in to your OS X installation from the bootCD, then load up Terminal and type diskutil list to see a list of drives and partitions. You'll see something like this (but obviously not this as this is from my real Macintosh)

/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*1.0 TB	 disk0
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk0s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD			999.9 GB   disk0s2

Find the identifier for your Cham partition, probably, disk0s2.

(Important - if your Cham partition is not disk0s2 then change the below commands to match the values for your Cham partition)

type type sudo -s followed by return

then enter your password followed by return

then type fdisk -e /dev/disk0 followed by return

press p followed by return to print your disk layout

type f 2 followed by return to flag partition 2 active

type w followed by return to write it

type y followed by return to accept

type q followed by return to quit

type exit to close

10.6.6 is released - for more info check netkas' page as usual.

I won't be able to try it until tonight but for more info see iRipper's topic

It's available via software update or as a combo update from Apple's downloads section

EDIT: returned home and downloaded the combo update for my backup system, as I only had that at 10.6.0 on it. Applied that and rebooted without any issues other than the audio not working. I then replaced the AppleHDA in /System/Library/Extensions with the one from Tmongkol's thread as pointed to by smilenkovski above (Thanks for that).

I then booted up my 10.6.5 system, ran system update and applied the 10.6.6 update. Rebooted just fine but this time I didn't need to replace AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E as this file wasn't touched by the update and my previously added patched 10.6.5 AppleHDA.kext (which was the same one from Tmongkol's thread I had used previously) continued to work fine.

So both systems have been updated and work fine with no reported problems. App Store looks fine and works without problem though I haven't purchased anything yet.

Hopefully by now all of you are running as per the most recent PDF guides with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement loaded, and without the need for any SleepEnabler.kext. And also using the latest Chameleon RC5 along with the automatic generation for P and C-States for dynamic power management. If so then you should have no issues with updating.

For those who haven't been keeping up to date with recent developments and still use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext, I suggest you read the latest PDF's and revise your systems to take advantage of the latest files etc.. Otherwise you'll have to remove your version on SleepEnabler.kext from /E/E before updating then add it back after a successful update (see methods described in this topic for previous updates). But as I am out of touch with this older method of running ours hacks, I would recommend doing some reading of iRippers thread (posted a link earlier) to read the chat from other users who have had to deal with the SleepEnabler kext issues.

Hi Blackosx!

10.6.5 updated to 10.6.6 with no problems

All works fine!

AppStore the news and minus things

PS: Happy New Year!!!

hi blackosx,

I added a pic with the status of my cham partition.

now my system is 10.6.4 and I want it to be 10.6.6.

I haven't updated my osx86 files because it's just worked perfect.

I noticed that there are some new tweaks

what are the steps i should take to have those new tweaks?

post-313262-1294335470_thumb.png

Hi blackosx,

I just updated my backup drive and actually went through with the AppleHDA.kext install that was posted after the 10.6.5 update. Everything worked great on that drive so I went and installed on my main drive using software update. Just restarted and decided to try and skip the update to the AppleHDA.kext. I have sound working just fine out of my speakers so not sure if I still need this or not.

Just did a repair permissions as well and sound is still working great! I'm hoping I won't have to do that step anymore but to be honest, I wasn't sure what all the problems were to begin with.

Thanks for all your hardwork! I have fallen in love with my hackintosh...as much as I would want to upgrade my hardware someday, I see no need yet!

10.6.6 is released - for more info check netkas' page as usual.

I won't be able to try it until tonight but for more info see iRipper's topic

It's available via software update or as a combo update from Apple's downloads section

What about audio?

I've updated but no audio. (EP45 UD3LR with cartri bios)

Patched AppleHDA somebody?

EDIT

Patched AppleHDA here

Nothing to do, audio works great with no changes!

hi blackosx,

I added a pic with the status of my cham partition.

now my system is 10.6.4 and I want it to be 10.6.6.

I haven't updated my osx86 files because it's just worked perfect.

I noticed that there are some new tweaks

what are the steps i should take to have those new tweaks?

Hi itorra

You have an old setup! For simplicities sake, I suggest reading the latest PDF's on the front page and working through what files are recommended now as looking at your Cham partition, in /Extra/Extensions we no longer use

CPUInjector.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

leaving you with just

fakesmc.kext

OrangeIconFix.kext (A kext from The KiNG to just cosmetically change the icons for external devices)

FakeSMC.kext now has plugins for monitoring your hardware which work fine now from /Extra/Extensions (well, at least the plugins that I need do).

And since Lnx2Mac created his Network Driver we no longer need to use ipconfig for Bonjour.

Hi Blackosx!

10.6.5 updated to 10.6.6 with no problems

All works fine!

AppStore the news and minus things

Hi Z4g0r :unsure:

Happy new year to you and thanks for reporting your success.

Hi blackosx,

I just updated my backup drive and actually went through with the AppleHDA.kext install that was posted after the 10.6.5 update. Everything worked great on that drive so I went and installed on my main drive using software update. Just restarted and decided to try and skip the update to the AppleHDA.kext. I have sound working just fine out of my speakers so not sure if I still need this or not.

Hi jp9219

Well done with your update :)

I was wondering if there is a mirror for the downloads. I am unable to download them from China.

Thanks for all of the hard work. I can't wait to try your guide. Was using 10.5.7 and Tried using the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] plus [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] path, but I think your guide sounds much better.