• Please log in to reply
3675 replies to this topic

geithals

geithals

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Maltice, that would appear to fall under 'a problem shared is a problem solved' category.

A little bit more on the booting issue I had.
I did an experiment to see if my laptop's SSD would have a beneficial effect on the performance levels.
I made the 2 partitions, installed OS10.6 from the usb stick, then a Cham install package install of the boot files to the Cham partition.
Deja vu with not booting, just get as far as 'veryfying DMI pool data'
I then made the Cham partition active with fdisk commands, but this made no difference to the booting.
I started again, installed the boot files from the support files via the terminal and then it booted and functioned normally.
Later I deleted just this boot file from the Cham Volume and installed the boot file from Cham package installer and that boots normally.
At the very least, the mental pain involved, over the last year, learning how to use the terminal through Blackosx's tutorials paid off, but some mystery remains as I don't know yet what I am doing different to be getting this booting issue. A previous cloning of a Snow Leopard Volume with CCloner was thought to be a suspect, but this can be disregarded.

Anyway happy new year to you Blackosx, thanks for all the hard hours you have put in so far to express, simply and clearly, procedures which had once appeared so convoluted.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,160 posts

Anyway happy new year to you Blackosx, thanks for all the hard hours you have put in so far to express, simply and clearly, procedures which had once appeared so convoluted.

Sorry that I haven't been around much lately, but thanks geithals - Happy new year to you and everyone else here :rolleyes:

@72U11 - I know you said you've tried it 100 times but the command works and I've used it many times. It's strange you get the "Invalid argument" message? The steps in the PDF are correct and if you've followed then exactly as you say then I'm not sure what the problem is. How about you try iFabio's RC5 installer to your USB?

72U11

72U11

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

@72U11 - I know you said you've tried it 100 times but the command works and I've used it many times. It's strange you get the "Invalid argument" message? The steps in the PDF are correct and if you've followed then exactly as you say then I'm not sure what the problem is. How about you try iFabio's RC5 installer to your USB?

Hey, thanks for your reply. I can't try this right now, but I'll be sure to post back when I'm able to try again. :)

I'm pretty sure I've done everything according to the PDF, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try once more, and there's this iFabio thing too, so wish me luck and thanks again. :)

andy12

andy12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i cant boot, stop at "verifying DMI pool data......" cant load chameleon. is it i did it wrong at the Cham partition? what can i do?

thanks
Andy

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,160 posts
Hi Andy

Have you selected the correct default drive in BIOS?

andy12

andy12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
perfecto, i'm using only 1 drive, when i boot i press f12 the choose the harddisk. it got 3 partition like you sugested. cham, andy, backup.

when i boot from bootcd, i only got 2 choice, the boot cd and andy. should i reformat the cham and redo step 3 from your guide?

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,160 posts
Check to see if the cham partition is flagged active. To set it active, boot in to your OS X installation from the bootCD, then load up Terminal and type diskutil list to see a list of drives and partitions. You'll see something like this (but obviously not this as this is from my real Macintosh)
/dev/disk0
   #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
   0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*1.0 TB	 disk0
   1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:				  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD			999.9 GB   disk0s2
Find the identifier for your Cham partition, probably, disk0s2.
(Important - if your Cham partition is not disk0s2 then change the below commands to match the values for your Cham partition)

type type sudo -s followed by return
then enter your password followed by return
then type fdisk -e /dev/disk0 followed by return
press p followed by return to print your disk layout
type f 2 followed by return to flag partition 2 active
type w followed by return to write it
type y followed by return to accept
type q followed by return to quit
type exit to close

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,160 posts
10.6.6 is released - for more info check netkas' page as usual.
I won't be able to try it until tonight but for more info see iRipper's topic

It's available via software update or as a combo update from Apple's downloads section

EDIT: returned home and downloaded the combo update for my backup system, as I only had that at 10.6.0 on it. Applied that and rebooted without any issues other than the audio not working. I then replaced the AppleHDA in /System/Library/Extensions with the one from Tmongkol's thread as pointed to by smilenkovski above (Thanks for that).

I then booted up my 10.6.5 system, ran system update and applied the 10.6.6 update. Rebooted just fine but this time I didn't need to replace AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E as this file wasn't touched by the update and my previously added patched 10.6.5 AppleHDA.kext (which was the same one from Tmongkol's thread I had used previously) continued to work fine.

So both systems have been updated and work fine with no reported problems. App Store looks fine and works without problem though I haven't purchased anything yet.

Hopefully by now all of you are running as per the most recent PDF guides with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement loaded, and without the need for any SleepEnabler.kext. And also using the latest Chameleon RC5 along with the automatic generation for P and C-States for dynamic power management. If so then you should have no issues with updating.

For those who haven't been keeping up to date with recent developments and still use NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext, I suggest you read the latest PDF's and revise your systems to take advantage of the latest files etc.. Otherwise you'll have to remove your version on SleepEnabler.kext from /E/E before updating then add it back after a successful update (see methods described in this topic for previous updates). But as I am out of touch with this older method of running ours hacks, I would recommend doing some reading of iRippers thread (posted a link earlier) to read the chat from other users who have had to deal with the SleepEnabler kext issues.

Z4g0r

Z4g0r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Unix, Macintosh, Networks, Open source
Hi Blackosx!

10.6.5 updated to 10.6.6 with no problems

All works fine!

AppStore the news and minus things

PS: Happy New Year!!!

smilenkovski

smilenkovski

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Hi Blackosx!

All works fine!

What about audio?
I've updated but no audio. (EP45 UD3LR with cartri bios)
Patched AppleHDA somebody?
EDIT
Patched AppleHDA here

itorra

itorra

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
hi blackosx,

I added a pic with the status of my cham partition.
now my system is 10.6.4 and I want it to be 10.6.6.
I haven't updated my osx86 files because it's just worked perfect.
I noticed that there are some new tweaks

what are the steps i should take to have those new tweaks?

Attached File  Screen_shot_2011_01_06_at_19.30.35.png   205.35KB   69 downloads

jp9219

jp9219

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Hi blackosx,
I just updated my backup drive and actually went through with the AppleHDA.kext install that was posted after the 10.6.5 update. Everything worked great on that drive so I went and installed on my main drive using software update. Just restarted and decided to try and skip the update to the AppleHDA.kext. I have sound working just fine out of my speakers so not sure if I still need this or not.

Just did a repair permissions as well and sound is still working great! I'm hoping I won't have to do that step anymore but to be honest, I wasn't sure what all the problems were to begin with.

Thanks for all your hardwork! I have fallen in love with my hackintosh...as much as I would want to upgrade my hardware someday, I see no need yet!

10.6.6 is released - for more info check netkas' page as usual.
I won't be able to try it until tonight but for more info see iRipper's topic

It's available via software update or as a combo update from Apple's downloads section

Z4g0r

Z4g0r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Unix, Macintosh, Networks, Open source

What about audio?
I've updated but no audio. (EP45 UD3LR with cartri bios)
Patched AppleHDA somebody?
EDIT
Patched AppleHDA here

Nothing to do, audio works great with no changes!

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,160 posts

hi blackosx,

I added a pic with the status of my cham partition.
now my system is 10.6.4 and I want it to be 10.6.6.
I haven't updated my osx86 files because it's just worked perfect.
I noticed that there are some new tweaks

what are the steps i should take to have those new tweaks?

Hi itorra

You have an old setup! For simplicities sake, I suggest reading the latest PDF's on the front page and working through what files are recommended now as looking at your Cham partition, in /Extra/Extensions we no longer use
CPUInjector.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext
SleepEnabler.kext

leaving you with just
fakesmc.kext
OrangeIconFix.kext
(A kext from The KiNG to just cosmetically change the icons for external devices)

FakeSMC.kext now has plugins for monitoring your hardware which work fine now from /Extra/Extensions (well, at least the plugins that I need do).

And since Lnx2Mac created his Network Driver we no longer need to use ipconfig for Bonjour.

Hi Blackosx!

All works fine!

Hi Z4g0r :unsure:
Happy new year to you and thanks for reporting your success.

Hi blackosx,
I just updated my backup drive and actually went through with the AppleHDA.kext install that was posted after the 10.6.5 update. Everything worked great on that drive so I went and installed on my main drive using software update. Just restarted and decided to try and skip the update to the AppleHDA.kext. I have sound working just fine out of my speakers so not sure if I still need this or not.

Hi jp9219
Well done with your update :)

joshuawas

joshuawas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I was wondering if there is a mirror for the downloads. I am unable to download them from China.
Thanks for all of the hard work. I can't wait to try your guide. Was using 10.5.7 and Tried using the ##### plus ##### path, but I think your guide sounds much better.

itorra

itorra

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Hi itorra

You have an old setup! For simplicities sake, I suggest reading the latest PDF's on the front page and working through what files are recommended now as looking at your Cham partition, in /Extra/Extensions we no longer use
CPUInjector.kext
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext
SleepEnabler.kext

leaving you with just
fakesmc.kext
OrangeIconFix.kext
(A kext from The KiNG to just cosmetically change the icons for external devices)

FakeSMC.kext now has plugins for monitoring your hardware which work fine now from /Extra/Extensions (well, at least the plugins that I need do).

And since Lnx2Mac created his Network Driver we no longer need to use ipconfig for Bonjour.

wow it's so different from the way i installed it over 1 year ago. no problem at all.
is that so necessary to update my cham files?
what should i do just to have 10.6.6 w/o all these changes cause i lost myself inside the latest guide.

sly9

sly9

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, Blackosx,
I'm using Gigabyte EP45-DS3L, and installed a perfect hackintosh according to your guide. and everything seems so nice until... 3 month ago, at that time I'm still using 10.6.4. One day my audio began to "sleep" if there's no sound playing for a while(30s?), and when I start play back some audio again(itunes, beeps in system, etc), I would hear a loud noise, a glitch? or a bomb? sorry for my english, I just don't know the exact word for describe that..

Any ideas for this "sleep" "feature"? I tried upgrade to 10.6.5 and now 10.6.6, nothing changed...

Thanks!

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,160 posts

I was wondering if there is a mirror for the downloads. I am unable to download them from China.
Thanks for all of the hard work. I can't wait to try your guide. Was using 10.5.7 and Tried using the ##### plus ##### path, but I think your guide sounds much better.

Hi joshuawas

I used to use a couple of different hosts for the attached files but then one day somebody told me they couldn't access them so I switched to hosting them in my dropbox. So China block you from downloading from dropbox too?

PS. ##### / ##### is the Chameleon bootloader and a collection of files which you can install at a click of a button. The method shown in this topic also uses Chameleon and a collection for files but the difference is it attempts to help you learn about what you're installing, where and why.

wow it's so different from the way i installed it over 1 year ago. no problem at all.
is that so necessary to update my cham files?
what should i do just to have 10.6.6 w/o all these changes cause i lost myself inside the latest guide.

Techniques and developments happen all the time and so do the methods we can use to run our hacks. If it wasn't for all the dev's out there continuing this work then we would still be back in the dark ages (Thanks to all the devs). I'm afraid you have to keep abreast of all this is you want to run a successful hackintosh.

If you want to carry on using your setup but update to 10.6.6 then I think you can get away with it by removing your SleepEnabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions, rebooting, then running the update. Once successful, and rebooted back in to 10.6.6 then you can add a new version of SleepEnabler.kext specifically for 10.6.6.

But note, this is only what I think - I don't know for sure - it's up to you to read and find out what you need and I take no responsibility for you messing up your system. Best method is to have a secondary backup OS X installation on a separate HDD partition for you to test these things before applying to your main system.

One day my audio began to "sleep" if there's no sound playing for a while(30s?), and when I start play back some audio again(itunes, beeps in system, etc), I would hear a loud noise, a glitch? or a bomb?

Hi sly9

Setting your mac model in smbios to a macpro gets around this issue. It's recommended you use MacPro3,1 as it also deals with powermanagement in the best way for this board.

extract from my smbios.plist
MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
_linenums:0'><key>SMmanufacter</key> <string>Apple Computer, Inc.</string> <key>SMproductname</key> <string>MacPro3,1</string> <key>SMsystemversion</key> <string>1.0</string>

itorra

itorra

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Techniques and developments happen all the time and so do the methods we can use to run our hacks. If it wasn't for all the dev's out there continuing this work then we would still be back in the dark ages (Thanks to all the devs). I'm afraid you have to keep abreast of all this is you want to run a successful hackintosh.

If you want to carry on using your setup but update to 10.6.6 then I think you can get away with it by removing your SleepEnabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions, rebooting, then running the update. Once successful, and rebooted back in to 10.6.6 then you can add a new version of SleepEnabler.kext specifically for 10.6.6.

But note, this is only what I think - I don't know for sure - it's up to you to read and find out what you need and I take no responsibility for you messing up your system. Best method is to have a secondary backup OS X installation on a separate HDD partition for you to test these things before applying to your main system.

hi,
sorry for being such an annoying.
1. when you say that i need to get rid of those red files (in your prev. reply), i get it. but what files are functioning instead of them?
2. i can see that there is f11c, is your dsdt (in latest support files pkg) matches to f11c or what do i miss here?

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,160 posts
Hi itorra

You're not being annoying but most if not all the information you ask about is, or has previously been, in the PDF guides and is more than likely to be in this very topic. But to quickly answer:

Question 1:
• The things that CPUInjector.kext & PlatformUUID.kext do are now handled by the laetst Chameleon bootloader.
• Restart is now enabled by the Chameleon bootloader, shutdown is enabled by a DSDT fix so you no longer require OpenHaltRestart.kext
• IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext is replaced by OrangeIconFix.kext
• A patched DSDT in combination with the Chameleon bootloader with enabled process performance and idle states you no longer need to run with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext,
• SleepEnabler.kext was a only required when using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, so as we're not using it any more then we don't need SleepEnabler.kext

Question 2:
Good question and to be honest I can't remember now, but the original Gigabyte DSDT's for GA-EP45-DS3L BIOS f11b and f11c are pretty much identical, although I do remember being told that there was a checksum error with their DSDT from BIOIS f11c. But the DSDT posted here has so much stripped out from the original Gigabyte DSDT's that any differences are probably no longer there.

But the simple answer here is I have used the same DSDT from the support pages with both BIOS f11b and f11c without problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy