[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

• Please log in to reply
3675 replies to this topic

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,054 posts

How can I help me with your work done to install SL on my EP45-DS4?

@MILAN0 - You should find lots of information for your board here:
http://tinyurl.com/36bkcqb

Having held off from posting for too long, I want to say a big thanks to blackosx for this guide and all the hard work you have put in developing your PDF series and Support materials all with such eye for detail and with an extremely professional presentation. They are a pleasure to use.
The comments and discussions on this thread have helped so much and been very informative. It guided me through all the setting up and tweaking of my OSX86 machine that now runs so beautifully. Please forgive my ebullience :D

Hi silverfir
Well done with your installation, thanks for your kind words and for reporting back your success. I fully understand your ebullience. :o

The final icing on the cake was the recent Cartri's BIOS flash and the addition of the new FakeSMC+plugins, thanks to the Guys developing these! referenced in your (Part 7 - What's New v1.4.1.pdf) many thanks for that information.

You might be interested in this new topic by mozodojo where he has managed to re-work the FakeSMC.kext and plugin's to load from /Extra/Extensions allowing us to leave the /S/L/E untouched again (apart from those of us, me included, using the ALC888 onboard audio). I have it installed and can say everything is working well except for an issue with the GPU FAN sensor but as it's still in development I won't add it to the guide/support files just yet.

silverfir

silverfir

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Hi blackosx

Thanks for the heads up on mozodojo's FakeSMC thread. Have removed FakeSMC+plugins from S/L/E and put contents of
HWSensors_latest/Release 10.6/ into my Boot E/E minus Winbond [W836x.kext].

Using iStat Pro widget & atMonitor atMonitor

I too have lost GPU Temp and Fan output.
Hard Drives - CPU - Northbridge - temperatures are showing and 3 x Fans speeds showing up.

atMonitor is showing % GPU throughput but no temp. Noticed as screen saver fired up and atMonitor was still showing.

So pretty good, will see how things sit for a while.

So I only have [AppleHDA.kext] & [JMicronATA.kext] added to S/L/E not including S/L/E additions from APP installations.

Cheers! :D

Edit: Above files used were mozodojo's (HWSensors_latest/Release 10.6 modified date 16-Oct-2010)

snifferpro

snifferpro

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Just got this info on OS X Lion

http://www.zdnet.com...130?tag=nl.e589

Get ready to do it all over again.

Z4g0r

Z4g0r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Unix, Macintosh, Networks, Open source
FaceTime works fine!!!

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,054 posts

Get ready to do it all over again.

Yes - it's always exciting when a new release is announced. We'll know more in time....

FaceTime works fine!!!

Hi Z4g0r :(
Thanks for letting us know.. I haven't got round to that yet, but then again I don't have a webcam so not much use to me ;)

-iCE!HACKER-

-iCE!HACKER-

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
hey blackosx its been long... hope you are doing good...

just updated my bios to cartri 0.8 my network is gone on the on board lan. plugged the cable to my pci 8139 and gave me this error

22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	   50 643a6169} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  6dc 3b0057f9} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  6dc 3b0057f9} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  12c 652e6964} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - error detected
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  12c 652e6964} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  15c 6e657265} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - error detected
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  15c 6e647265} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  150 d0455040} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - error detected
22/10/10 11:26:32 PM	kernel	{	  150 d0445040} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:33 PM	kernel	{	  6dc 3b0057f9} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:33 PM	kernel	{	  6dc 3b0057f9} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart
22/10/10 11:26:33 PM	kernel	{	   50 312e3220} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - error detected
22/10/10 11:26:33 PM	kernel	{	   50 312e3220} RTL8139::receiverInterrupt - Rx restart

tried this

To solve this I've replaced /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext with PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext,
repaired permissions with Kext Utility and after reboot got 100% working card.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=57215

didnt work

will try to update it to 10.6.4

Update 1: okay whatever i do i still get the same errors. and i did update to 10.6.4

Update 2: followed ur guide . awesome fixed the ethernet issue. altho using onboard lan if i plug the cable in to my pci lan card gives me same errors

Update 3: followed ur guide . Sound card not working. dled ur "10.6.4 Amended AppleHDA for ALC888 v2" guess its LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E or AppleHDA.kext /S/L/E can u post urs here

Update 4: Fixed audio 10.6.4 used this for /E/E and this for /S/L/E everything working perfectly. did not try this

cheapo

cheapo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Hello guys!

I installed SL on my GA-P35-DS3 following blackosx's guide, and it's been running smoothly for quite a while now (several months). I only have one issue: it doesn't power off (OSX shuts down, I get a black screen but the machine keeps running). I know it's related to the DSDT (sleep and restart work) but I didn't want to mess with mine (without knowing what I was doing) because of such a small detail. I even heard that there's a kext that could fix that, but I haven't found it yet (any tips?)

Anyway, I was catching up on this topic and read about Chameleon RC5 and its ability to automatically set P/C states for speedstep. I tried to manually set these in the DSDT a while later with no luck, so after some tries I gave up. Question is: what are the benefits of doing that? Should I risk my stable system because of this, or is it only some kind of cosmetic feature? Will my computer consume less power, maybe?

Oh, and where can I find the binaries for the latest Chameleon? I found the source and a packaged installer, but not the binaries in case I want to install it manually (like the guide).

Thanks!

MaLd0n

MaLd0n

...filling veins with juice of chaos...

• Moderators
  • 11,137 posts

GA-P35-DS3

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=232678
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=235523

Chameleon

svn co http://forge.voodoop...g/svn/chameleon
cd chameleon/trunk
make

/Users/MaLd0n/chameleon/trunk/sym/i386

*make clean

cheapo

cheapo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=232678
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=235523

Chameleon

svn co http://forge.voodoop...g/svn/chameleon
cd chameleon/trunk
make

/Users/MaLd0n/chameleon/trunk/sym/i386

*make clean

Thanks! I'll dig into those topics and try to complile chameleon here.

cheapo

cheapo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Hi again!

Thanks to MaLd0n, I'm now running Chameleon RC5 r619 with SpeedStep enabled. I temporarily installed VoodooMonitor.kext and ran VoodooMonitor, it detected 3 P-States and was switching between them. So I guess now SpeedStep is working correctly here!

MaLd0n

MaLd0n

...filling veins with juice of chaos...

• Moderators
  • 11,137 posts

Hi again!

Thanks to MaLd0n, I'm now running Chameleon RC5 r619 with SpeedStep enabled. I temporarily installed VoodooMonitor.kext and ran VoodooMonitor, it detected 3 P-States and was switching between them. So I guess now SpeedStep is working correctly here!

WoW
Great News

Lpc+Hpet+Chameleon RC5(GeneratePStates/GenerateCStates)
Bingo
Native Power Management
:)

Solow

Solow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi blackosx,

I have been using your method on my EP45DS3L for over a year running vanilla 10.6 perfectly. I used your method of a separate partition for Chameleon and the Extra folder with appropriate kexts etc. I also used efi strings for my XFX 8500GT video card successfully in com.apple.boot.plist in my Extra folder. All was working fine until I accidentally hit my reset button while the system was trying to boot up into 10.6 which caused it to reboot in the middle of loading up the system. I am now unable to completely boot into 10.6 since I get a blue screen loop after the gray screen with the Apple logo. I do get a few seconds of mouse cursor action until it flickers and shows the spinning wheel on the blue screen. This just loops and loops forever. I ran Applejack in single user mode on 10.6 and repaired permissions on both Snow Leo partitions via my backup 10.5 installation but that did not help. I am hoping someone else has done this and found a fix. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,054 posts
Hi Solow

If you've damaged your install and fsck in single user mode can't fix it then you can always boot from the retail DVD and install OSX over your damaged version. This will perform an 'archive install' where it will lay down a fresh system but still retain all your apps, data and files. You will then just need to run all the updates again. I did this not so long ago and it worked just fine.. though I had to re-install the MYSQL package and re-enable PHP for my MAMP server.

Solow

Solow

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
blackosx,

Thanks for the advice and your quick reply. That should work of course. I was hoping for an easy fix but this will get the job done.

Happy Halloween!

EDIT:
I just did the archive install and it worked perfectly! All I have to do is update back to 10.6.4 from 10.6.0 and I'll be good to go. Thanks blackosx for your help!

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,054 posts
Hi Solow

Good to hear you're back up and running.
(Happy 'belated' Halloween to you too) :(

bigpoppa206

bigpoppa206

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
As this thread is slowing down (this to me is a GOOD thing, it means that the majority of questions has been asked and answered) I am watching for progress from Stellarolla on that MSI X58 Big Bang X-Power motherboard. He lists the following pluses:

* Native Speedstep (Chameleon RC5+)
* Dual Gigabit Ethernet
* 6 Full-sized PCI-e slots
* Up to 24GB DDR3 Memory
* Native ICH10 Sata detection (No orange icons or legacy KEXT needed)
* Native J-Micron E-Sata controller on I/O panel (Working, Hot-swappable)
* Native Marvell RAID controller (Working RAID 0 and RAID 1, no driver needed!)
* USB 3.0 (Working)
* AppleHDA or VoodooHDA working
* Sleep, Restart, Shutdown working
* Serious overclocker
* Military grade components

WOW! Just not a great fan of MSI though.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,054 posts
10.6.5 is available in software update.
I'm just updating now... and will report back soon :(

Note: As always, it's wise to apply the update first to your backup OS X installation first to double check everything works.

That was straightforward..
I used software update from my 10.6.4 backup installation to download the 10.6.5 update, let it run and reboot. I then patched the AppleHDA.kext as I have previously to accommodate ALC888, whilst adding Tmongkol's info.plist into the AppleHDAPlatformDriver. Finally adding the patched AppleHDA in to /S/L/E as described for previous updates as well as removing the /System/Library/com.apple.kext.caches folder. (Previous links for 10.6.3 update and 10.6.4 update)

Attached File  ALC888_Patched_10.6.5_AppleHDA_Kext.zip   1.29MB   644 downloads

Rebooted again and voila, audio is back and everything seems to be working just fine. Time will tell if there's anything else I haven't seen just yet.

Note: I am not running SleepEnabler.kext and to be honest neither should any of you by now... but if you are then you will have to remove your current version from /Extra/Extensions and reboot, before attempting this update.

Also, if anybody has added lnx2mac's RealtekRTL81xx.kext to IONetworkingFamily.kext and put it in /E/E then you will want to re-do it with the one from 10.6.5 (although I am not sure if it's changed at all, as my system happily re-booted with the 10.6.4 version in /E/E).

bigpoppa206

bigpoppa206

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
10.6.5 updated just fine on a GA-EP45C-UD3R. As my sound is ALC889a, no updates are needed. Hope it fixes the Flash problems I've had.

rednous

rednous

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Interests:graphic design, mac, progressive and house
blackosx,

I updated to 10.6.5 successfully. Everything till now seems OK. Also, I replaced the original 10.6.5 AppleHDA.kext with the patched one you've posted above. The audio is working but I'm getting some sound assertion errors while booting with the -v option (kernel.log audio errors). Will post the errors later. Also I noticed the original 10.6.5 audio kext is almost two times larger than the patched.

EDIT (kernel.log audio errors):
kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 3824 goto handler
kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != widget->setUnsolicited ( true )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 1156 goto handler
kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 3824 goto handler
kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != widget->setUnsolicited ( true )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 1156 goto handler

Andrea3000

Andrea3000

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
AppleHDA in 10.6.5 is changed..front mic does not work anymore (I'm using a legacyhda made by me).
Does someone know how to fix it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy