[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

As this thread is slowing down (this to me is a GOOD thing, it means that the majority of questions has been asked and answered) I am watching for progress from Stellarolla on that MSI X58 Big Bang X-Power motherboard. He lists the following pluses:

* Native Speedstep (Chameleon RC5+)

* Dual Gigabit Ethernet

* 6 Full-sized PCI-e slots

* Up to 24GB DDR3 Memory

* Native ICH10 Sata detection (No orange icons or legacy KEXT needed)

* Native J-Micron E-Sata controller on I/O panel (Working, Hot-swappable)

* Native Marvell RAID controller (Working RAID 0 and RAID 1, no driver needed!)

* USB 3.0 (Working)

* AppleHDA or VoodooHDA working

* Sleep, Restart, Shutdown working

* Serious overclocker

* Military grade components

WOW! Just not a great fan of MSI though.

10.6.5 is available in software update.

I'm just updating now... and will report back soon :(

Note: As always, it's wise to apply the update first to your backup OS X installation first to double check everything works.

That was straightforward..

I used software update from my 10.6.4 backup installation to download the 10.6.5 update, let it run and reboot. I then patched the AppleHDA.kext as I have previously to accommodate ALC888, whilst adding Tmongkol's info.plist into the AppleHDAPlatformDriver. Finally adding the patched AppleHDA in to /S/L/E as described for previous updates as well as removing the /System/Library/com.apple.kext.caches folder. (Previous links for 10.6.3 update and 10.6.4 update)

ALC888_Patched_10.6.5_AppleHDA_Kext.zip

Rebooted again and voila, audio is back and everything seems to be working just fine. Time will tell if there's anything else I haven't seen just yet.

Note: I am not running SleepEnabler.kext and to be honest neither should any of you by now... but if you are then you will have to remove your current version from /Extra/Extensions and reboot, before attempting this update.

Also, if anybody has added lnx2mac's RealtekRTL81xx.kext to IONetworkingFamily.kext and put it in /E/E then you will want to re-do it with the one from 10.6.5 (although I am not sure if it's changed at all, as my system happily re-booted with the 10.6.4 version in /E/E).

blackosx,

I updated to 10.6.5 successfully. Everything till now seems OK. Also, I replaced the original 10.6.5 AppleHDA.kext with the patched one you've posted above. The audio is working but I'm getting some sound assertion errors while booting with the -v option (kernel.log audio errors). Will post the errors later. Also I noticed the original 10.6.5 audio kext is almost two times larger than the patched.

EDIT (kernel.log audio errors):

kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 3824 goto handler
kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != widget->setUnsolicited ( true )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 1156 goto handler
kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 3824 goto handler
kernel[0]: Sound assertion "0 != widget->setUnsolicited ( true )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-199.4.12/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 1156 goto handler

thx man it s a very good assistance, Sleepenabler not working for 10.6.5 so i have to shut it down manually now waiting for another way, sound working very well with the patched ALC888 kext but graphic performance is not at 100% i have an nvidia 9600GT 1go but when i benchmarked it not good scores to show , any idea or solution?

As this thread is slowing down (this to me is a GOOD thing, it means that the majority of questions has been asked and answered) I am watching for progress from Stellarolla on that MSI X58 Big Bang X-Power motherboard.

../snip/..

WOW! Just not a great fan of MSI though.

Hi bigpoppa206 :P

Sorry to not respond to your post the other day but things are very busy here.

Thanks for the pointer to Stell's post. And yes, the new mobos are looking exciting at what they can offer. My mobo here is pretty old now and I do often wonder about a new rig... As for MSI? well I have built a system with their components before and have been very happy and IIRC their ACPI tables are more complete / accruate especially when comapred to Gigabyte's.

I replaced the original 10.6.5 AppleHDA.kext with the patched one you've posted above. The audio is working but I'm getting some sound assertion errors while booting with the -v option (kernel.log audio errors). Will post the errors later. Also I noticed the original 10.6.5 audio kext is almost two times larger than the patched.

Hi rednous

The patched AppleHDA I posted is something I threw together to enable audio with 10.6.5. It wasn't thoroughly tested by any means, but it worked. Maybe you could try the patched AppleHDA by Bansaku which AlexSkool posted here? I might hopefully get time to look at it this weekend, but if you try it first then please post feedback.

As for the file size of the one I posted, that was because the info.plist which I used to replace the original one has a lot of extra code removed which doesn't apply for our use here. It was the same info.plist (I think) that Tmongkol used for the 10.6.3 patch allowing us to run without the need for LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E.

thx man it s a very good assistance, Sleepenabler not working for 10.6.5 so i have to shut it down manually now waiting for another way, sound working very well with the patched ALC888 kext but graphic performance is not at 100% i have an nvidia 9600GT 1go but when i benchmarked it not good scores to show , any idea or solution?

Look for a specific 10.6.5 version of SleepEnabler. But there's no need to be using it these days as we no longer disable vanilla powermanagement.

I found fixed driver to solve this problem here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7730

Thanks for the post AlexSkool.

@Andrea3000 - maybe there's your solution.

Where I can download the "Vanilla 10.6.4 Retail Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L".????

I have a version of Snow Leopard 10.6.4, but not the same as the guide.

@daniel89 - There's no need to spam this thread with two requests when you've also sent me a PM!

I have replied to your PM and awaiting your response.

If You Lost your Sound after 10.6.5 …. [like myself, will try this hint and report..]

Posted by Cartri on Nov 12, 2010 in Fast News / ReTweets

For anyone who lost sound on ALC-888:

1- Go to the site download area and download tmongkol alc 888 “10.6.3+” patched kext

2- Manually put it over /System/Library/Extensions

3- USE DISK UTILITY TO REPAIR PERMISSIONS

4- Open terminal and type: sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

5- Reboot

6- Enjoy.

PS: Do not use mkext based tools such as kext helper or other automatic kext installer: they use generic permissions, Disk Utility is the best way to keep your Mac OS X clean.

Still no sound after following cartri instructions, EP43-DS3L, ALC888. continue investigations:

Finally fixed sound! There is no AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions, just HDAEnabler in /Extra/Extensions

and "ALC-UniFix for 10.6.4+ Unmodified AppleHDA (ALC888 & ALC889)" from cartri.net :)

Hi rednous

The patched AppleHDA I posted is something I threw together to enable audio with 10.6.5. It wasn't thoroughly tested by any means, but it worked. Maybe you could try the patched AppleHDA by Bansaku which AlexSkool posted here? I might hopefully get time to look at it this weekend, but if you try it first then please post feedback.

As for the file size of the one I posted, that was because the info.plist which I used to replace the original one has a lot of extra code removed which doesn't apply for our use here. It was the same info.plist (I think) that Tmongkol used for the 10.6.3 patch allowing us to run without the need for LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E.

blackosx, thanx a lot for the answer :) I'll test the AppleHDA.kext posted here by AlexSkool and will report back.

@AlexSkool, thanx for the AppleHDA.kext link :D

EDIT:

There are no errors with the patched AppleHDA posted by AlexSkool. Sound is OK :)

Thanx again :)

If You Lost your Sound after 10.6.5 …. [like myself, will try this hint and report..]

1- Go to the site download area and download tmongkol alc 888 “10.6.3+” patched kext

5- Reboot

6- Enjoy.

PS: Do not use mkext based tools such as kext helper or other automatic kext installer: they use generic permissions, Disk Utility is the best way to keep your Mac OS X clean.

Thanks 'sjpapa' for the heads up!

Just reporting.

Using a fresh install 10.6 retail updated through - 2 - 3 - 4 to 10.6.5 everything working fine except sound. [tmogkol's] kext as above worked for me.

I only really need basic output from rear GREEN socket so no idea if front and S/PDif are functional.

:D

Thanks 'sjpapa' for the heads up!

Just reporting.

Using a fresh install 10.6 retail updated through - 2 - 3 - 4 to 10.6.5 everything working fine except sound. [tmogkol's] kext as above worked for me.

I only really need basic output from rear GREEN socket so no idea if front and S/PDif are functional.

Sound was fixed by moving AppleHDA from /System/Library/Extensions to the trash! AND

use "ALC-UniFix for 10.6.4+ Unmodified AppleHDA (ALC888 & ALC889)" from cartri.net

I have only HDAEnabler in the Extra folder. [10.6.5 of 17NOV2010] Works like a charm. :(

post-307057-1290070166_thumb.jpg

Still no sound, have GA-EP43-DS3L, ALC888 confirmed, followed cartri instructions to the dot.

Sorry didn't notice you were reporting no audio :(

Are you also using Cartri's BIOS flash? I flashed my CMOS with...

Cartri Bios v08 G1-EP45-DS3L

I'm using no DSDT file in E/E

after i boot with chameleon and insert mac os retail dvd to i got this

post-198193-1289655681_thumb.jpg

and nothing happen

how should i resolve this issue ????

sorry for my post problem here

ps : i use chameleon rc5 and i get the language screen .. after i select it ... it takes a time to preparing and screen goes of then it suddenly turned off .... (sorry for my English)

can someone help me a bit?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=237117

I have no way finding the sleep enabler kext, it's neither in S/L/E or E/E (EFI Partition), but it's still loaded. *impossible*

rebuilding the kextcache doesn't help either.

p.s. i can boot up with pmversion=0

p.s. i fixed the prob by putting the newest enabler into S/L/E, still dunno what is the cause.

Boot in verbose mode so that you can see WHERE OSX is hanging up and report back.

here is the error

post-198193-1289754129_thumb.jpg

thanks for any help ... i searched alot .. and i cant find anything useful

my device is :

gigabyte ep45-ud3r

Intel E5200 dual core

4 gigabyte ddr2 800 patriot

geforce 9600 gt

500 gb Seagate sata2

5- Reboot

6- Enjoy.

Still no sound after following cartri instructions, EP43-DS3L, ALC888. continue investigations...

I had my sound kext in my separate Chameleon boot partition and as such it was unaffected by the update to 10.6.5 which made it easy. I simply used Software Update and it just worked! Thanks for the link to Cartri as I am sure it will help some folks out.

here is the error

post-198193-1289754129_thumb.jpg

thanks for any help ... i searched alot .. and i cant find anything useful

my device is :

gigabyte ep45-ud3r

Intel E5200 dual core

4 gigabyte ddr2 800 patriot

geforce 9600 gt

500 gb Seagate sata2

did you turn on ACHI in your bios? and make sure your sata2 is connected to the first sata port, see if this helps =]

good luck!

10.6.5 after sys update works fine like a Mac :P (thanks forever Blackosx)

(after my 2nd KP in my hackintosh's life: i'had forgot to delete sleepenabler and NullCPUPowerManagemnet in E/E :rolleyes:

now my mac shutdown naturally apple made :hysterical: )

For ALC888 kext i use AplleHDA patched posted by AlexSkool (thanks!)

I'd like to start off by thanking you for such a wonderful and detailed guide. The rapidity of your updates is unprecedented, and it's obvious that you pour your heart and soul into this project.

That being said, I've followed your guide to the T, and my sleep doesn't work. Everything else is golden. I'm using an EP35-DS3L. I just reinstalled last week because I got an SSD, but sleep didn't work before either. Any ideas?

I'd like to start off by thanking you for such a wonderful and detailed guide. The rapidity of your updates is unprecedented, and it's obvious that you pour your heart and soul into this project.

That being said, I've followed your guide to the T, and my sleep doesn't work. Everything else is golden. I'm using an EP35-DS3L. I just reinstalled last week because I got an SSD, but sleep didn't work before either. Any ideas?

Hi TYNMDYS

Uplaod your DSDT and kextstat

run on terminal

WOW I'm really not up-to-date

My system is installed since 10.5.0 was out and I installed it from the first ver. of this guide.

Since then I had no problem and as the phrase says 'if it works don't fix it'.

Right now I have the oldest versions of files in my Cham VOL

I'd like to upgrade my Cham with the new files but what should i do?