[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

So thanks for all the support I've received here from you guys and everywhere else I've visited. And thanks to all the wiser, knowledgeable users and coders creating all the fixes, tools and methods necessary that allow us to run our machines. So although I'm leaving this topic, I'll still be around lurking. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for supporting us for the last two plus years. I am going back to real macs ( I already have a couple ), although the hacking was fun, it is ultimately a pain avery time there is an update.

Cheers!

Thanks to Blackosx for all your help advice and the great guides. Best of luck with your new hardware and journeys with Lion.

I have enjoyed my EP45-DS3L for ages and it is still such a stable system @ 10.6.8, I am also now considering new hardware or pulling the trigger on a real Mac but this has been fun :thumbsup_anim:

The last two years have been fun, though it's taken a lot of my time so I am going to enjoy taking more of a back seat for a while.

A big thank you from me too, you're been far more helpful than anyone could reasonably expect. Good luck with your new board!

Blackosx I wonna thank you, once more, for all your efforts in this project and for helping us make it all works.

I'm going to reinstall my 10.6 (updating to .8 i wish) 'cause after some months that I was not using OSx (i used winxp partition), i tryed to boot os and it wasn't working (looks like it loosed the guid table on disk and was seeing it as MBR) because wasn't finding the root device.

(under win, using macdrive, i was able to see the mac partitions and to edit the files on them)

I'm pretty sure i'll make a better setup now, thanks to the previous experiences and all your help, tips and suggestions.

Maybe i'll come to ask you something more when I'll plan to install Leo. ;)

So once more... Thank you very much. And I wish to meet you asap.

My best wishes for your new hw and your Leo explorations!!

Sincerely,

Dan

EDIT:

My Lion is installed and almost fully workin, as I reported here

Edited by komodo_1

Hi Guys. First off thanks for everything Black! You did a great job with all your guides! Helped me a lot.

I just wanted to post that I had success upgrading my Vanilla 10.6.8 install to 10.7 using tonymacx86's guide here http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmo...x-107-lion.html

First snag I hit was that the Lion install told me i couldn't install Lion. This was quickly fixed by updating my Chameleon bootloader to Chimera, http://www.tonymacx86.com/1010110101/Chimera-1.4.1.zip

After that I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], http://www.tonymacx86.com/1010110101/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-3.8.0.zip and updated my smbios.plist to be just a stock MacPro 3,1. I did those two things and the install was up and running.

Another little snag i hit was in Xmove i got an installation failure but I quickly figured out that you need to have the Lion InstallESD.dmg mounted. I did that and it continued just fine. After I rebooted to the Lion install partition and it installed without a hitch.

I just installed my AppleHDA that I used in 10.6.8 and my sound was back up and everything back to normal!

Lion is running well so far. Good luck to everyone else.

seeking Lion advise..

Whats the best way to upgrade to Lion?

- I saw a fresh install might be the only way

- reinstall all apps or pull them over from Timemachine ?

- any experience/advise

thanks

Gerhard

Here's what I did (Link)

Wish could help.

Soon

seeking Lion advise..

- any experience/advise

thanks

Gerhard

seeking Lion advise..

- any experience/advise

thanks

Gerhard

Just look one post above you. Link

Hi, Blackosx

has been a pleasure to read your post and learn a lot about it. Congratulations for these 2 great years, and I hope you get so fun with your new hardware as you get with our dear DS3L.

Thank you very much for your work!!!!

Just look one post above you. Link

YES you are right - I saw the link but NOW I did read it more carefully.....

One question remains:

- Is an upgrade (without too many hassels) OK

(I want to keep my installed apps & settings)

regards

Gerhard

YES you are right - I saw the link but NOW I did read it more carefully.....

One question remains:

- Is an upgrade (without too many hassels) OK

(I want to keep my installed apps & settings)

regards

Gerhard

Using the method that I posted, i upgraded from 10.6.8 with all settings and apps intact!

Having a problem with my snow Leo. I just upgraded from a very stable 10.5 system to 10.6.8.

I'm having issues with graphics freezing & installation failed errors when installing programs.

I have a nvidia 9400 gt graphics cards.

The graphics worked out of the box but no qe/ci. I have only 3 kexts in my extension folder. ( Same three kexts from support files)

The computer boots fine. After using it for awhile the graphics just freezes up( can still move mouse but no response from os)

How many kext do u guys have in your extensions folder?

Tried to install office/vmware fusion both failed. (Not sure why) some programs install but some don't

@-iCE!HACKER-

The instructions I posted back in April are old now and could do with being refined by a few things like removing the text about the XPC bootloader as although that can still be used, Chameleon will more than likely be the bootloader of choice for most here. And updating the procedure to now mention the requirement to also copy the mach_kernel to the root of the base installer which wasn't required with older developer previews.

So it will be wise to have a look at these topics for up to date info for now:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=259068

thanks a million Blackosx

Good Morning to all.

As lensboard noted, yesterday I added a secondary footer in my signature as I was in the process of changing my hardware. Today the signature shows I no longer have my Gigabyte EP45-DS3L up and running as I have now moved to using an Asus board. This wasn't something I was planning but after being offered dgsga's board/cpu for a very tempting price I wasn't going to turn it down.

So where does it leave this topic?

The simple fact is that now Lion is out in the wild this two year long topic on how to install Snow Leopard has served it's purpose and naturally reached the end of it's life. It had to happen one day and I feel that day is now. But at least I can leave this topic in the knowledge that the PDF guides and Support Files here are up to date for installing 10.6.0 thru 10.6.8 on the GA-EP45-DS3L.

Will I be creating a 10.7 installation guide?

In a word No.

There are a couple of installations guides on this forum already (here and here) without the need for another, and I also have to realise that I've had less and less time in the last year to keep this topic up to date, let alone a new one. There are some links in the news section on the front page of this topic to help with installation, audio, network and the CMOS reset issue. The installation steps were added for the 10.7 developer preview 2, but I've tried to quickly patch it to make it current, though the two other installation guides link to earlier are well worth a look.

What's my new hardware compared to the good 'ol EP45-DS3L?

Well it's pretty much two years old so it's not cutting edge but then it's newer than my previous system. I've only had the machine up and running since Friday evening so I've got plenty to learn about it but already I see a geekench score or 9500 compared to a previous 4500. The Asus board takes longer to POST, though once done so there's no wait for the BIOS to present the AHCI devices and selecting restart from OS X takes longer for that to happen compared to the Gigabyte.

So where does this leave all the followers of this topic?

Hopefully I've explained enough in the PDF guides and in my replies here to have given you all the basic knowledge to carry on using your systems. I've only learned what I know by reading, and testing ideas, solutions and suggestions from other users. If you have a question about your Snow Leopard install then your first stop will be to search this topic, then other topics either at Insanely using the built in search or other forums with the help of the ever useful Google.

The last two years have been fun, though it's taken a lot of my time so I am going to enjoy taking more of a back seat for a while. If somebody else wants to pick up from here and carry on then feel free, but just try to keep the ideas and info simple, together with some explanations rather than just point to using a tonymac or kakewalk install where new users don't really understand what gets installed, how, where and why.

So thanks for all the support I've received here from you guys and everywhere else I've visited. And thanks to all the wiser, knowledgeable users and coders creating all the fixes, tools and methods necessary that allow us to run our machines. So although I'm leaving this topic, I'll still be around lurking. :)

Proud to collaborate (a very few) in this two years to u.This mobo i think is a more affordable for "hackintoshes"

and i think it work for other time. Only limit was speed of ram by low voltage (only 1.8) that cannot permit to

install more speed ram but it is strong like a bull and work hard like an ass. But a very important add-on to mobo and project OSx86 is you, dear Blackosx. O strong manual and a big experience for all.

Thank' a lot for all.

Now technology run and its time to update the hardware. Another page is opened

Thanks a lot my dear

Z4g0r

• 3 weeks later...
I have a nvidia 9400 gt graphics cards.

The graphics worked out of the box but no qe/ci.

Sounds like your graphics card isn't working out of the box. I don't know anything specific about the 9400gt, but you might want to try generating an efi string for it, to put in your com.apple.boot.plist – read around you'll find info on how to do that.

Insomniac hack!

Recently, possibly and probably after the SL 10.6.8 update, my hack has developed insomnia. I put it to sleep but at some time later it wakes itself up. This just keeps on happening. Wondering if anyone else has seen the behaviour.

On the plust side I've noticed I can now trigger sleep with the power button, I swear that didn't work before :wacko:

Insomniac hack!

Recently, possibly and probably after the SL 10.6.8 update, my hack has developed insomnia. I put it to sleep but at some time later it wakes itself up. This just keeps on happening. Wondering if anyone else has seen the behaviour.

On the plust side I've noticed I can now trigger sleep with the power button, I swear that didn't work before :(

• 1 month later...

Hey.

Last year I followed this guide with no problems and got OSX 10.6 up and running along side windows.

However after a huge format and such I can't seem to get it to work now, the only difference in hardware between then and now is that I've upgraded from a GTS 250 to a GTX 460.

I get a kernel panic while attempting to boot my SL install USB.

Specs:

Q6600

GA-EP43-DS3L

8 GB of RAM

GTX 460

3 SATA drives

1 IDE Drive

Not too sure what's set it off, because like I said, the -only- thing that's changed is the graphics card.

• 2 months later...

Hello Blackosx,

I have a number of successful installs on GA-xxx with your guide, howver I still have a problem:

Cannot print on the hp deskjet 7350.

Printer status seems to hang on "Waiting for printer to become available".

Any ideas or workarounds? Has anybody seen the issue? any other usb kexts needed? The rest (sound,.. works fine!)

Is there another forum segment to post this?

many thanks in advance!

Hello Blackosx,

I have a number of successful installs on GA-xxx with your guide, howver I still have a problem:

Cannot print on the hp deskjet 7350.

Printer status seems to hang on "Waiting for printer to become available".

Any ideas or workarounds? Has anybody seen the issue? any other usb kexts needed? The rest (sound,.. works fine!)

Is there another forum segment to post this?

many thanks in advance!

Sounds like a driver issue, go to HP and see if they have updated drivers for your printer.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all thank you all for your support!! This thread is a great peace of work and great help for everyone

using the superb ep45 ds3l board:)

Now my question: I have 10.6.8 running perfectly on my system and now I want to upgrade to Lion. I am a bit confused

that all installation guides here use a USB Drive or a similar way to do a fresh installation..........What was all the rest for

then?? :D

I would actually prefer simply to upgrade my 10.6.8 to Lion and I also found a post of someone who did that. However before

he updated he created a boot USB - Drive and I do not understand why? Does Lion Remove the Chameleon files already installed

on the Mac partition ?

I installed Chameleon to the hidden EFI partition so will Lion touch this ?

I am planning to upgrade my Chameleon to match 10.7 and then simply upgrade my OS X installation and reboot.

Will this work or is Lion gonna kill my EFI - Chameleon ?

Sry, long post but help is very appreciated, thanks in advance:D

Thanks for the note about this Paper Tiger.

To anybody else who still wants to read these old guides, this issue is now sorted and the links are again live.

p.s. I wasn't planning on posting here again as, for me, the topic was closed last year, but while I'm here can I just say a quick thank you to everyone who posted their kind thoughts and words at the time.

Over and out.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Good news for all owners of this mobo.

Tonymacx86 procedure works fine On Lion

I'm running 10.7.3 better and also boot cham 1772 in blackosx layout

I use an old 30gb sata hd of a broken portables pc in a USB box because usbstick doesnt boot

I put in the hd the #unib... tonymacx86 soft and it works great

Is important to get the dsdt.aml of tonymacx86 database that is of the DS3R but it works fine

That dsdt Is important for the upgrade from 10.7.0 to 10.7.3

A trick is to use #######... tool in second time putting dsdt again...

Its all clear ?

I think so...... Good updates