[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

I got the Device (TIMR) info from this post by MasterChief. Your DSDT looks to already have the fix.

Thanks for the support guys, but the files I use / put in the Support Files are all available in these forums. It's just from reading and testing that I get to know what works and what doesn't.

and what about these? ;) I just want to check my DSDT is Lion tweaked & ready :D

• Removed Name (_S1… as OS X doesn't seem to support it  and change package to three to suit ACPI spec (Thanks DHP).
• Fixed a length discrepancy in BUF0 in Method _CRS

Can I suggest you wait a bit longer as I am updating the Support Files further still and in the middle of revising the PDF guides. ;)

...yes of course I'll wait until you give us the go-ahead. Thanks again, you work is really invaluable for the osx86 community!!

...yes of course I'll wait until you give us the go-ahead. Thanks again, you work is really invaluable for the osx86 community!!

I've updated Part 4 - Configure for GA-EP45-DS3L pdf to bring it up to date.(blimey, that needed a thorough going over!!). I've also revised Support Files to v1.4.5. Both are on the front page. There's more work to do yet on the other PDF's but I'll post when I'm happy with them. Off to work now.

EDIT: Anybody looking at the latest Part 4 - Configure for GA-EP45-DS3L pdf will see just how easy it is now to update the ALC888 audio from 10.6.0 -> 10.6.7 when using the combination of the ALC888.kext from tmongkol's topic (Thanks to MaLd0n, toleda and others) with Mald0n's terminal command to bin-patch the AppleHDA binary with ALC888.kext. Brilliant :thumbsup_anim:

and what about these?

Hi rednous. I'll have a quick look a bit later and let you know.

Hi rednous. I'll have a quick look a bit later and let you know.

Thanx a lot in advance for your time & help. Take your time, don't be in a hurry :thumbsup_anim:

Thanx a lot in advance for your time & help. Take your time, don't be in a hurry ;)

I'm not the best with DSDT files so to all, please don't send me your DSDT files to look at. For that, I suggest visiting Mald0n's topic. But rednous, I have looked at yours as done as requested.

I've removed:

Name (_S1, Package (0x04)
{
	One, 
	Zero, 
	Zero, 
	Zero
})

as I did with mine.

and changed:

CreateDWordField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0._CRS._Y00._MIN, TCMM)
			CreateDWordField (BUF0, \_SB.PCI0._CRS._Y00._LEN, TOMM)

to

CreateDWordField (BUF0, _Y00._MIN, TCMM)
			CreateDWordField (BUF0, _Y00._LEN, TOMM)

to clear the 2 optimisations.

There was no need to change one of the length fields in BUF0 as yours is correct. I've attached the revised file.

DSDT_rednous.zip

Blackosx, thanx a bunch! :P

I really wasn't expecting from you to revise or edit my DSDT -- I just needed to point me to these :D

Thank you again for your help :D

I've updated Part 4 - Configure for GA-EP45-DS3L pdf to bring it up to date.(blimey, that needed a thorough going over!!). I've also revised Support Files to v1.4.5. Both are on the front page. There's more work to do yet on the other PDF's but I'll post when I'm happy with them. Off to work now.

Wow that was damned fast! Well done blackosx, thanks a lot!! :)

If you want you can add an additional section in the PDFs for users who also want to run a SSD drive with TRIM ENABLED.

You can find the necessary information here: TRIM Enabler for 10.6.8 (Credit goes to Oskar Groth who made this possible also for Non Apple SSDs).

I'm successfully running a Crucial RealSSD 128 GB in one of my Hacks w/o any issues for several months now. Thank you Oskar! :)

Wow that was damned fast! Well done blackosx, thanks a lot!! :)

Just updated Part 4 PDF to v1.5.2 as I forgot to add enabling audio for 10.6.8. doh!

If you want you can add an additional section in the PDFs for users who also want to run a SSD drive with TRIM ENABLED.

You can find the necessary information here: TRIM Enabler for 10.6.8 (Credit goes to Oskar Groth who made this possible also for Non Apple SSDs).

I'm successfully running a Crucial RealSSD 128 GB in one of my Hacks w/o any issues for several months now. Thank you Oskar! :)

Thanks for the link to cindori's updated blog. I haven't read his stuff for a while :)

However, I don't have an SSD yet (I know, I'm behind the rest of you.. lol) so I won't be including that in the PDF's here. I am sure however that OS X users with SSD's will find the required info they need regardless of what's in the guide here. :P

Anybody knows how to check whether Bonjour Networking is working properly.

The only test I use is with using the 'Remote' app on my iPhone to control iTunes.

I've updated the BootCD to use the latest Chameleon and the kexts, DSDT etc. from the Support Files v1.4.5. I've tested booting from it and using it to boot the Snow Leopard DVD and it works here so fingers crossed it works for you all too. The download link has been updated on the front page.

Blackosx, thanx a bunch! :thanks_speechbubble:

I really wasn't expecting from you to revise or edit my DSDT -- I just needed to point me to these :wacko:

Thank you again for your help :)

Lol.. I guess I was just feeling in a helpful mood :)

You're welcome.

Thanks for the link to cindori's updated blog. I haven't read his stuff for a while :)

However, I don't have an SSD yet (I know, I'm behind the rest of you.. lol) so I won't be including that in the PDF's here. I am sure however that OS X users with SSD's will find the required info they need regardless of what's in the guide here. :P

You're welcome. I agree with you. Surely on day you will also have an SSD in your Hack. It makes really fun to work with it cause it's so damned fast... :D

The only test I use is with using the 'Remote' app on my iPhone to control iTunes.

Good idea. I'll give it a try. :wacko:

It didn't take long but the new PDF's are outdated already.. Lol. :)

One new change is that Chameleon's boot0hfs has now been superceded by boot0md.

This new version (thanks to dmazar) now does everything boot0hfs did buts adds support for loading Chameleon from a separate HDD. This is especially useful when Windows 7 is installed on a second HDD and the user want to use Chameleon as the default bootloader. More info

So just to re-cap the boot0 situation:

Chameleon had two versions of it's stage 0 boot code:

1) boot0: looks for the stage 1 boot code on the first active partition.

2) boot0hfs: looks for the stage 1 boot code on the first hfs partition.

boot0hfs has now been replaced with revised code and now known as boot0md (for multi disk).

In the PDF guides and Support Files here, I only included one boot0 file and that was the boot0hfs version with the filename boot0. I will update them in due course.

EDIT: Parts 2&3 PDF's and Support Files have been updated to reflect this change.

Is it just a case of repeating the original commands and letting the new files overwrite the old ones (I do that with updated "boot" files now)?

What I do now (As you know!)...

fdisk440 -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

cp boot /Volumes/Chameleon

What I need to do?

fdisk440 -f boot0md -u -y /dev/rdisk0

dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

cp boot /Volumes/Chameleon

Yes that's right, providing of course that disk0 and partition 2 of disk 0 are the intended targets.

Though there's no real need to update to using boot0md right now if not needed. I was just sharing the information.

blackosx -

As the Lion officially out, any chance for new thread with all info you have about Lion on DS3L?

For either those who want upgrade straight from their 10.6.8 installation or for those who wants fresh install..

Thanks for everything you do for us, it's highly appreciated.

I dunno if I can wait, I may take the plunge and purchase it from the app store, see if it installs on my backup. i wonder if I install it on my backup if I could then re-download it on my real osx partition free of charge, or if its a once and done.

Blackosx, I've followed your guides and my install went very smoothy, running 10.6.8 without a hitch. THANK YOU for your efforts, it allows us n00bs to participate. Love my hackintosh!

So looking to upgrade my install to Lion. Question is, can I upgrade? I really don't want to start from scratch.

Mate, I am sure BlackOSX is now busy to create a new guide for Lion...

Be patient