[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Already did it 3 times with manually patching the applehda but still no audio device detected !

I really don't get it ...

It does work as I've used it quite a few times myself.

I've sent you a PM.

Double check your Device (HDEF) in your DSDT, and make sure you trash the cache files before rebooting.

And for 10.6 you'll also need http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1698409

It does work as I've used it quite a few times myself.

I've sent you a PM.

Double check your Device (HDEF) in your DSDT, and make sure you trash the cache files before rebooting.

And for 10.6 you'll also need http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1698409

Now I have in S/L/E: patched applehda.kext, legacyhda.kext and alc888.kext

And a patched dsdt.aml

But still no audio device ...

Now I have in S/L/E: patched applehda.kext, legacyhda.kext and alc888.kext

And a patched dsdt.aml

But still no audio device ...

oh., my mistake. You only want one of LegacyHDA.kext or ALC888.kext.

To test this, I have just applied the 10.6.8 update to my main 10.6.7 system as I hadn't done it yet. After reboot, audio was not working. So here's what i did:

• added the patched AppleHDA.kext that I did from the instructions here to /S/L/E.

• I already had ALC888.kext in /S/L/E.

• my DSDT is already patched and is the one from here

• trashed the caches and rebooted.

Audio is now working :D

oh., my mistake. You only want one of LegacyHDA.kext or ALC888.kext.

To test this, I have just applied the 10.6.8 update to my main 10.6.7 system as I hadn't done it yet. After reboot, audio was not working. So here's what i did:

• added the patched AppleHDA.kext that I did from the instructions here to /S/L/E.

• I already had ALC888.kext in /S/L/E.

• my DSDT is already patched and is the one from here

• trashed the caches and rebooted.

Audio is now working :D

This is driving me nuts !!

Just removed legacyhda as you mentioned but nothing yet ...

I'm not sure what else to say as the procedure works here. hmmmm.. :help:

EDIT:

As the audio fix posted here strangely doesn't work for you, then I'm thinking you could always try going to where I started looking for enabling Lion's audio for ALC888. And as 10.6.8's audio is setup the same way then hopefully a solution from here will help you. Link

I'm not sure what else to say as the procedure works here. hmmmm.. ;)

EDIT:

As the audio fix posted here strangely doesn't work for you, then I'm thinking you could always try going to where I started looking for enabling Lion's audio for ALC888. And as 10.6.8's audio is setup the same way then hopefully a solution from here will help you. Link

This morning I went for a fresh install so I went all over it again with retail dvd ...

Updated to 10.6.8 and then moved on with you patched applehda.kext, adding ALC888.kext and finally patching your dsdt.aml file but I'm back where I started...

I think I'm gonna go back to 10.6.7 for now and maybe wait or Lion in a few weeks ...

This morning I went for a fresh install so I went all over it again with retail dvd ...

Updated to 10.6.8 and then moved on with you patched applehda.kext, adding ALC888.kext and finally patching your dsdt.aml file but I'm back where I started...

I think I'm gonna go back to 10.6.7 for now and maybe wait or Lion in a few weeks ...

Hi philippebezoteaux

Well done for trying the audio patch to a freshly installed system, but I',m still puzzled why it doesn't work for you...

and finally patching your dsdt.aml file

Can you clarify what you mean?

Were you amending the Device (HDEF) section of your DSDT to match the patch in this post?

What happens when you just use the supplied DSDT? Can you test doing that?

Hi philippebezoteaux

Well done for trying the audio patch to a freshly installed system, but I',m still puzzled why it doesn't work for you...

Can you clarify what you mean?

Were you amending the Device (HDEF) section of your DSDT to match the patch in this post?

What happens when you just use the supplied DSDT? Can you test doing that?

Sorry I didn't try the different dsdt files.

Now it finally works after a full and fresh install, still can't understand why it didn't work before ;) but now it's working 10.6.8 like a charm ...

Thanks for the help

I now have a much more svelte dsdt after copying over most of blackosx's recent changes, thank you. It also now has Lan0 defined. I can confirm that Chameleon's EthernetBuiltIn key needs to be set to yes in your com.apple.boot.plist.

With Lan0 in dsdt and the plist tweaked I was able to access the app store again. yay!

(and I now have two network cables attached…possibilities :(

Tried update to 10.6.8 from 10.6.7.

Everything fine except sound!

The ALC888 sound card is not working on the 10.6.8 update.

Any ideas how to restore sound? [GA-EP43-DS3L, very similar to this board] with cartri BIOS no DSDT.

:) Found it :(

the solution is in: http://www.kexts.com/view/1379-alc888_patched.html

use the three kexts: Apple8xxHDA.kext, AppleHDA.kext, and HDAEnabler.kext as described.

Tried update to 10.6.8 from 10.6.7.

Everything fine except sound!

The ALC888 sound card is not working on the 10.6.8 update.

Any ideas how to restore sound? [GA-EP43-DS3L, very similar to this board] with cartri BIOS no DSDT.

:rolleyes: Found it :dev:

the solution is in: http://www.kexts.com/view/1379-alc888_patched.html

use the three kexts: Apple8xxHDA.kext, AppleHDA.kext, and HDAEnabler.kext as described.

@sjpapa - Why are you posting that here?

There is already a solution here that doesn't involve using HDAEnabler.kext. The audio for 10.6.8 is the same as for the Lion developer previews. See here

I updated. My atheros card was causing very slow response times on the system. Once I disconnected the card, the system seemed to be running perfect. I got 889 sound working and all.

My main issue now is that I can't mount usb drives. Whatever I plug in is recognized in the system profiler, but it won't mount and I can't access the files. This kind of sucks because I need to transfer the files for the Atheros Fix from the 10.6.7 bundle.

Can anyone help me getting my USB drives mounting? My keyboard and mouse have worked fine from the very first boot.

I tried disabling usb2.0 in the bios because I read somewhere that it was a temp fix for someone, but it didn't work for me. I also tried some older iousbfamily kext that I had laying around. I also changed iopcifamily and appleacpiplatform kexts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated it.

p.s. my motherboard is a ds3r, i realize it's slightly different but i thought there may be a possibility you can help due to it's similarities.

Thanks in advance.

@pane2k

You say you see the USB Drive in System Profiler so is it just the finder doesn't show the mounted USB?

What do you see in Disk Utility?

Does typing diskutil list in Terminal show the device? If so, can you type sudo mount /dev/diskXsX (replacing the X's with the correct values for the device) and see if it mounts then?

ALC888 audio for 10.7 on our EP45-DS3L

Boogi PM'd me about what he needed to do to enable the onboard sound so I thought I'd post here for reference.

I use the solution which was posted by cparm here but unfortunately he removed the files from mediafire. So I will post here what he showed and therefore what's needed to be done. I've successfully used this method for each developer preview of 10.7 currently up to DP4 (11A480b).

1) Edit Device (HDEF) in your DSDT to match cparm's post. Here's a copy of his posted patch:

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x0E)
                       {
                           "subsystem-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0xA0, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"subsystem-vendor-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x6B, 0x10, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x88, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x78, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x07)
                           {
                               "ALC888"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x28)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x40, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x90, 0x50, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x02, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x60, 0x30, 0x81, 0x01, 0x70, 0x40, 0x21, 0x02, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x10, 0x40, 0x11, 0x01, 0x20, 0x10, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0018 */    0x30, 0x60, 0x01, 0x01, 0x80, 0x20, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0020 */    0x90, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01, 0xA0, 0x01, 0xCB, 0x01
                           }, 

"platformFamily", 
                           Buffer (One)
                           {
                               0x00
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }

I've attached my current DSDT.dsl to the bottom of this post for reference. I've removed my specific CPU information from it so it should be compatible with whatever CPU any of you have. Please note that I haven't booted with this actual file since removing my CPU info but it should work.

2) Bin-Patch 10.7's AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA by opening it in a hex editor and replacing the four occurrences of 85 08 EC 10 with 88 08 EC 10 as we did before back when 10.6.3 was released.

You can do it by hand (as above) or alternatively you can do it in Terminal with the following command which is from Mald0n's DSDT topic.

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x88\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

3) Add layout888.xml and the Platforms.xml from the attached archive here, in to 10.7's AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources. Note: you'll replace the Platforms.xml already there.

4) Add the LegacyHDA.kext from the attached archive here, in to 10.7's /System/Library/Extensions

5) Trash /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/*

6) Reboot and enjoy

Dear BlackOSX thank you for this great mini-guide for ALC888 audio, the method worked for the 10.6.8 update on my mobo, too (which is not Gigabyte but a XPC Shuttle barebone). Could you possibly reply to a couple of questions, so I can learn some more?

(1) why does one need the subsystem injection in DSDT? I have never seen them around, before... Do you know what their 4 bytes represent?

(2) I guess we inject PinConfiguration so it's compatible with layout888.xml and Platforms.xml files, right? All previous methods (up to 10.6.7) pointed to an empty PinConfigurations buffer...

(3) I tied to do a text comparison of the original 10.6.8 Platforms.xml file and the one you are attaching but I see a lot of changes/shift of code/additions. Do you know if a device was replaced for ALC888 or was this device/layout added on top?

I am quite interested to know the mechanics behind it... any post that sheds more light on this, will be welcome :D

(4) Finally--when the mobo boots the desktop, I get to see the speaker icon (top right) but it takes 2-3 seconds for the volume semi-circles to appear... this may indicate a lag or delay in detecting the hardware? Do you also get this, on the Gigabyte motherboard?

Thanks to everyone!

blackosx, I've successfully installed by booting with -x -v flags. But upon restart after the install completes, I can't boot into SL. Booting -v only gives me a garbled screen and booting -x -v causes the computer to hang at the message "using PCI-Root-UID value 1" (right after a message about the DSDT being found). What could be the cause of this? Its a little weird because I had no issues booting the install DVD using the same flags.

EDIT:

Solved. Seems like there was a problem with the Chameleon I had on the USB drive...Booted with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD which had some ATI support and installed Chameleon RC4, replaced with PC-EFI latest boot file, updated to 10.6.7, installed Netkas' QE/CI package for 10.6.7 (before reboot), used patched AppleHDA.kext. All works, need SwitchResX to get native 1680x1050 resolution but otherwise have QE/CI, full recognition of graphics card, etc. Thanks for the guide!

Only problem, it seems that at the Chameleon GUI all the drives have a red dot on them, and none can be selected graphically. However pressing tab to the text menu works just fine and I can select from there. Might be a problem with the Chameleon version mix that I installed (RC4+PC EFI boot), I'll mess with it some more.

Could you possibly reply to a couple of questions, so I can learn some more?

Hi MacKonsti

To be honest, all I did was read cparm's instructions, use his files, thank him and confirm it works. Rightly or wrongly, I've not looked too deeply at what the content of the changes are and have only scoured over them when I first used the solution. And as long the solution continues to work then I probably won't be spending my time dissecting it. So I can't really answer your questions with any detail and will point you to THe KiNG's topic over at projectosx for more info.

I only re-posted the instructions and files here after receiving a few PM's asking how to enable audio as cparm removed the files from mediafire when he retired.

@bob78h - Wow that sounded complicated and I'm still confused as to what your problem was and why.. At least you found yourself a solution.

Only problem, it seems that at the Chameleon GUI all the drives have a red dot on them, and none can be selected graphically.

Only a version of Chameleon RC5 can render that default theme correctly. If you must use a version of Chameleon lower than RC5 then you will have to use a theme that uses the device_selection.png graphic.

@bob78h - Wow that sounded complicated and I'm still confused as to what your problem was and why.. At least you found yourself a solution.

Only a version of Chameleon RC5 can render that default theme correctly. If you must use a version of Chameleon lower than RC5 then you will have to use a theme that uses the device_selection.png graphic.

I think it had to do with the chameleon version you included not supporting ATI cards? It seems strange that I was able to boot the install DVD with it but not the installed SL. To get into the system I had to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] which has minimal ATI support, at least enough to get past the PCI-Root-UID error (don't know why this is related to the gfx, thought it was usually from mobo/DSDT). Then updating and installing netkas' ATI fix and PC-EFI solved my problems.

Thanks, I'll look into the theme issue, not a big deal at all though, at least my SL install is working!

EDIT: One more issue I'm having: when I reboot, if I it hangs at the end of the shutdown process with the message "MACH reboot", and I have to manually reset the computer. Is there a cause and fix for this?

I think it had to do with the chameleon version you included not supporting ATI cards?

More than likely as the Support Files here were last updated on 1st October 2010. (Note to self, to update 'em).

I had 'kind of' left this topic alone as it had done the rounds and served it's purpose. That and I've also been working on other projects and hadn't really had the time to donate here. I guess getting ready for Lion got me back posting a few helpful notes here for reference for when it's released, so maybe I'll update some of the files here? (we'll see.....).

But for now, here's the latest version of Chameleon trunk taken from here at the voodooproject's forum.

Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r1078_bin.zip

As you have your machine running now, maybe build yourself a bootable USB flash drive to test this latest version of Chameleon before updating the version you have on your HDD? And for you for this, you'll have to update boot0/boot0hfs, boot1h and boot, not just the boot file.

EDIT: One more issue I'm having: when I reboot, if I it hangs at the end of the shutdown process with the message "MACH reboot", and I have to manually reset the computer. Is there a cause and fix for this?

I don't know. What hardware are you running? Can you create a signature so I/we all know to try to offer help?

I hope I can use iTunes vouchers to buy it from the App store!

I hope you can too.

I'll be buying it as soon as I can for my iMac, though I'm a bit gutted about the dropped Rosetta support simply for the reason that I love using FreeHand, the app that Adobe bought and shelved to allow the over bloated Illustrator to dominate. But that's another story...

More than likely as the Support Files here were last updated on 1st October 2010. (Note to self, to update 'em).

I had 'kind of' left this topic alone as it had done the rounds and served it's purpose. That and I've also been working on other projects and hadn't really had the time to donate here. I guess getting ready for Lion got me back posting a few helpful notes here for reference for when it's released, so maybe I'll update some of the files here? (we'll see.....).

But for now, here's the latest version of Chameleon trunk taken from here at the voodooproject's forum.

Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r1078_bin.zip

As you have your machine running now, maybe build yourself a bootable USB flash drive to test this latest version of Chameleon before updating the version you have on your HDD? And for you for this, you'll have to update boot0/boot0hfs, boot1h and boot, not just the boot file.

I don't know. What hardware are you running? Can you create a signature so I/we all know to try to offer help?

I'm quite happy with resolution and QE/CI on PC-EFI 10.6 (Chameleon RC3 based) w/ graphicsenabler and netkas' package, is there a reason to update to Chameleon RC5? Would it break netkas' QE/CI package? I know you don't have much experience with ATI cards, sorry about bugging you with so many ATI questions :P

My hardware is now posted in my sig.

No need to rush to do it. Take your time and look at it when you're ready. But when you'll do, you will benefit from automatically generated P & C-States for native power management, far better support for ATI video than RC4, support for booting Lion, bug fixes and much more. See here for a list of changes since RC4.

And thanks for creating a sig.

p.s. to any kind sole who is not using Dropbox yet. I am reaching my 2GB limit and need some more space, so if anyone signs up using this link I'll get an extra 250MB. Thanks if you do :P