[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Now I need to remember how to compile DSDT stuff again (Been a while!)...

Get iaslMe from here

Bed time for me now. Good luck with the update everyone..

As always, apply to a backup installation first to check everything is working for your hardware.

The morning after the update.... :D

10.6.8 looks fine here this morning though I still need to give it some time to test everything out with my secondary installation. I haven't updated my main SL system yet.

For more info, check Netkas' pages for latest findings.

@D-an-W - I sent you a PM.

10.6.8 looks fine here this morning though I still need to give it some time to test everything out with my secondary installation.

Tried the App Store yet?

I get "No GUID is available. Contact Support for assistance".

Either I have some work to do faking the GUID in my hack. Or this is the start of more strenuous checking by Apple. I'm under the impression they would be checking this for this Lion installation, but it seems that will be via the app store as a whole.

Might well be the end of the line of the hackintosh. It'll still run fine on SL for a couple of years though :)

If you're dependent on app store installed apps I'd hold off on 10.6.8 for now.

If you're dependent on app store installed apps I'd hold off on 10.6.8 for now.

Scratch that. It seems the GUID error is to do with network interfaces. Have a pci network card causes issues apparently. Even in real macs.

No I haven't tried the App Store yet, since I know there are problems with it when using Lion so I guess that will also apply with 10.6.8 too. Thanks for the verification that it doesn't work.

And yes, there are plenty of topics/posts here at InsanelyMac about this problem. Some say it's down to configuration issues at our end, some say it's down to Apple tracking all who use it and maybe blocking hack users? All I can suggest is watch this space and don't use the App Store for now.

No I haven't tried the App Store yet, since I know there are problems with it when using Lion so I guess that will also apply with 10.6.8 too. Thanks for the verification that it doesn't work.

And yes, there are plenty of topics/posts here at InsanelyMac about this problem. Some say it's down to configuration issues at our end, some say it's down to Apple tracking all who use it and maybe blocking hack users? All I can suggest is watch this space and don't use the App Store for now.

I haven't tried to install an application but I am able to sign into App Store on Asus P5K SE, which has AtherosL1E. As far as I know, this is not officially supported by Apple. I am using a driver that I found at the forum. I don't remember where I got this but I also have the following in DSDT.

Device (LAN0)
               {
                   Name (_ADR, Zero)
                   Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0B, 
                       0x04
                   })
                   Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                   {
                       Store (Package (0x04)
                           {
                               "built-in", 
                               Buffer (One)
                               {
                                   0x01
                               }, 
                               "location", 
                               Buffer (0x02)
                               {
                                   "1"
                               }
                           }, Local0)
                       DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                       Return (Local0)
                   }
               }

Hope this helps,

The post here fixed the Apps store for me.

I added the following lines to my com.apple.Boot.plist that were created using EFI Studio.

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>4b00000001000000010000003f0000000100000002010c00d041030a0100000001010600041c0101060000007fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>

Honestly, I have no idea what it does and how it enables access so would welcome an explanation?

Been playing and although it fixes the App Store, it stops my 2nd monitor from working and graphics seem very "glitchy" when moving the mouse cursor quickly (Noticed most in App Store).

I removed the lines from the plist and everything is ok again, I am still logged into the App Store too (Going to download some more free Apps to test)... the GUID error is back however.

@JBraddock - Thanks for the information.

I already have Device (LAN0) in my DSDT and have just tried the App Store. It loaded fine and I was able to login I and download an app just fine. I've only tried it once before when playing with Lion and never bothered since. So I now know it works.

For ref: the DSDT posted in the support files v1.4.4 here had the Device (LAN0) commented so it's not in there. I posted my current DSDT (without my specific CPU data) to here a couple of weeks ago. I've made a few changes since the one that was in the Support Files v1.4.4.

Honestly, I have no idea what it does and how it enables access so would welcome an explanation?

The device properties can be decoded by pasting that hex string in to EFI studio. This is what it shows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1c,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
	<key>built-in</key>
	<string>0x01</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Which is pretty much identical to what I see here with the Device (LAN0) in DSDT, except I have that device added under PEX5, where the above is under PEX4.

I am lost atm =/

I am using an ATI card that requires editing in the device id into an ATI kext's info.plist. I took the precaution of updating via combo update (with the intention of editing the kext before the required restart). The update was running when I left for a bit. When I came back to the computer, the screen was black, monitor was on, but it was just black. I did a force restart, and now it won't boot properly. I suspected it was said kext that requires editing.

I quickly took the drive out, plugged it via usb to another computer, and patched the kext, did chown and chmod on the Extensions folder. I also tried to create a new kextcache, but Terminal said all the kexts were invalid? and were omitted. No cache was created. I attempted a boot using the -F flag, no go.

Could the update not have installed properly or did I skip a step or two in trying to repair permissions?

Hey EnzoFX

Did you either rebuild the kextcache or trash the /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/* ?

Then I guess booting with -f would have ignored caches so maybe that's not it.

What happens exactly when you say it won't boot properly? what's does -v show you?

Hey EnzoFX

Did you either rebuild the kextcache or trash the /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/* ?

Then I guess booting with -f would have ignored caches so maybe that's not it.

What happens exactly when you say it won't boot properly? what's does -v show you?

With -V, it just hangs. All of the visible lines start with "vmnet: ...." I think they pertain to vmware fusion. Other than that there are no particular kp's or error codes that I can see.

I'm beginning to think that maybe it's not the ATI kext anymore. I managed to spot the line saying fakesmc found ATI device id... or whatever (fakesmc ati sensor detecting the correct device id/card). So the kext must be correctly edited now right? hmm. The only other thing I know I can try is booting the usb OS X installer to load up terminal or disk utility to try and repair the disk?

Running disk utility is your first post of call. If that doesn't work can you run the combo-updater again from another partition to your non-booting one?

I will try that now, thanks.

However, my usb installer isn't working, and I no longer have a backup partition. It's all good if I use another hack right? (via usb->sata adapter) Disk utility, running the combo updater, etc.

@JBraddock - Thanks for the information.

I already have Device (LAN0) in my DSDT and have just tried the App Store. It loaded fine and I was able to login I and download an app just fine. I've only tried it once before when playing with Lion and never bothered since. So I now know it works.

For ref: the DSDT posted in the support files v1.4.4 here had the Device (LAN0) commented so it's not in there. I posted my current DSDT (without my specific CPU data) to here a couple of weeks ago. I've made a few changes since the one that was in the Support Files v1.4.4.

The device properties can be decoded by pasting that hex string in to EFI studio. This is what it shows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1c,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
<dict>
	<key>built-in</key>
	<string>0x01</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Which is pretty much identical to what I see here with the Device (LAN0) in DSDT, except I have that device added under PEX5, where the above is under PEX4.

Ok, trying to add this to my DSDT.dsl as I didn't have a Device (LAN0) in there at all...

Device (LAN0)									   // thiagom - Device added with DTGP Method - Updated 
			{
				Name (_ADR, Zero)
				Name (_PRW, Package (0x02){0x09,0x03})
				Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
				{
					Store (Package (0x06)
					{
						"built-in" ,Buffer (One){One},
						"location" ,Buffer (0x02){"1"},
						"device_type" ,Buffer (0x09){"ethernet"} 
					}, Local0)
					DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
					Return (Local0)
				}
			}
		}

EDIT: Haha! That didn't go so well, immediate Panic!

Hi all

10.6.8 Update worked but I can't boot unless I use -f (ignore caches). Only chanfge is Replaced applehda.kext to restore sound alc889a. Funny thing is on first reboot after update rebooted without -f switch. Also boot time is very long

Help anyone

Ok, trying to add this to my DSDT.dsl as I didn't have a Device (LAN0) in there at all...

../snip/..

EDIT: Haha! That didn't go so well, immediate Panic!

Hi D-an-W

You're not using the EP45-DS3L that this topic is about are you as you have some elements in your DSDT that I don't recognise. Your best bet is to head over to Mald0n's DSDT patched topic as he'll be able to help you a lot faster than me.

EDIT:

Just seen in your signature that you have the GA-EP45-UD3P which definitely uses a different DSDT table to the one that mines board uses.

Do you by chance have EthernetBuiltIn=Yes in your com.apple.boot.plist?

I didn't, MaLd0n told me to add it, now the App Store works!

I am now trying to find out exactly what it changed (Visually) in OS X that made it work?

Do you by chance have EthernetBuiltIn=Yes in your com.apple.boot.plist?

No I don't have it as I don't need it.

To see differences to your system you will need to look in ioreg.

The Chameleon boot option EthernetBuiltIn, sets the 'Built-In' device property in your network device in ioreg.

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleo...ootHelp.txt#L82

Followed blackosx 10.7 steps to patch dsdt.aml and applehda but nothing changed, my system preference won't show any audio output.

Hi philippebezoteaux

Try it again as it does work for ALC888 on our mobo. :)