[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Sorry didn't notice you were reporting no audio :D

Are you also using Cartri's BIOS flash? I flashed my CMOS with...

Cartri Bios v08 G1-EP45-DS3L

I'm using no DSDT file in E/E

Fixed my sound on the latest 10.6.5 from SW download.

Put AppleHDA to the Trash, Just HDAEnabler in /Extra,

and "ALC-UniFix for 10.6.4+ Unmodified AppleHDA (ALC888 & ALC889)" from cartri.net

Full cartri BIOS. All works like a charm :)

WOW I'm really not up-to-date

My system is installed since 10.5.0 was out and I installed it from the first ver. of this guide.

Since then I had no problem and as the phrase says 'if it works don't fix it'.

Right now I have the oldest versions of files in my Cham VOL

I'd like to upgrade my Cham with the new files but what should i do?

Hi itorra

Build yourself a bootable USB memory stick and use that for testing. Then once you're happy you can transfer your /Extra folder to your HDD.

To do that, load up disk utility, insert a USB stick, and erase it using Mac OS Extended format selecting the use of a GUID partition scheme. Then install Chameleon to it as shown on page 3 of PDF part 2. You can then add an /Extra folder with the needed files for your system.

Then reboot your machine and select to boot from the USB in BIOS.

Hi BlackOSX,

I currently have a 10.5 setup with the UD3L board and the original guide I used was never kept that up to date. I am looking to try the Snow Leopard install on a new drive and of what I can tell in all the responses and notes in your thread, it should work fine for the EP45-UD3L. Yeah? I mean I will obviously have a couple issues throughout (my video card is an ATI 4870) but the board itself should be OK following your guide I hope.

I'll be starting on it today so any comments from anyone on a UD3L install would be helpful.

Thanks.

-Maltice

Hi BlackOSX,

I currently have a 10.5 setup with the UD3L board and the original guide I used was never kept that up to date. I am looking to try the Snow Leopard install on a new drive and of what I can tell in all the responses and notes in your thread, it should work fine for the EP45-UD3L. Yeah? I mean I will obviously have a couple issues throughout (my video card is an ATI 4870) but the board itself should be OK following your guide I hope.

I'll be starting on it today so any comments from anyone on a UD3L install would be helpful.

Thanks.

-Maltice

Hi Maltice,

Yes, I've followed Blackos'x guide on my Ep45 UD3L and i've never had a single issue appart from my video card which is ATI4850. To solve that issue i've booted the installation from my usb key using the -x flag then after the installation finished. I rebooted and used the -xflag again then updated to 10.6.5 then followed this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181405 and so far everything is working perfectly since then

UPDATE:

Been going through threads all night and haven't had any luck yet loading up SL. I've several different boot CDs to no avail. I assume I am missing something... My system is as follow:

EP45-UD3L <--Latest F9 Bios

4GB Kingston DDR2 (Bios settings are on Auto)

Sata DVD HP 1260

Sata HDD WD 1TB Black

HD 4870 ATI card

I have succesfully run 10.5.8 on this system for the past 2 years and just recently decided to get SL working. Originally I used this guide:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessag...p;currentpage=5

I am running into difficulty with the boot cd... When I boot from it boots quickly to the chameleon loader page and I get a message referrring to ramdisk and loading: done. It seems like an error but I'm not sure what it is..

Also, when I get the chameleon screen, I can only see my HDD if its in FAT.. If I format it with my macbook into journaled etc... It won't show up in the chameleon screen..

Once I boot the SL disc, it just spins.. I let it load for a good hour before I figrued it wasn't going to work.

I've set all my bios settings carefully, AHCI, etc...

Anyway, my 10.5.8 installation is still fine, but I would love to get SL on this other drive if possible... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Maltice

Hi Maltice,

Yes, I've followed Blackos'x guide on my Ep45 UD3L and i've never had a single issue appart from my video card which is ATI4850. To solve that issue i've booted the installation from my usb key using the -x flag then after the installation finished. I rebooted and used the -xflag again then updated to 10.6.5 then followed this guide http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181405 and so far everything is working perfectly since then

Hey Thanks or the tip... Question though... Did you use his bootCD or did you have to go the USB route? I don't know what my issue is at this early stage... I can't seem to get past the chameleon boot screen... When I run the SL retail disc it just spins forever....

Thanks again,

Maltice

i just did a fresh install using the updated guide for my new system -- wow this guide has come a long way, such a smooth run now :)

but i had 2 questions

1) how do i hide the cham partition from showing up on the desktop? assuming there is a way to do this without hiding all drives from showing on the desktop

2) how do i safely backup my install to the backup volume (created using the pdf guide)? all this time i've just been using time machine.

ignore question 1, found the answer:

chflags hidden /Volumes/Cham

ignore question 2, found that too :)

superduper or carbon copy clone works

if anyone (including blackosx) has other apps they recommend for backup/restore please post.

UPDATE: Snip...

May be unrelated.

Wondering if your SATA HDD is on the MBs first SATA port/header, problems can occur if trying to install otherwise.

diskutil list in term to find out if case is closed.

example... mine

mac:~ silverfir$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
  #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
  0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.1 GB   disk0
  1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
  2:                  Apple_HFS Boot                    2.0 GB     disk0s2
  3:                  Apple_HFS Snow                    300.0 GB   disk0s3
  4:                  Apple_HFS iTunes                  149.9 GB   disk0s4
  5:                  Apple_HFS Snow_Test               37.5 GB    disk0s5
  6:                  Apple_HFS Mac OS X Install DVD 

@hetman

xbench - see sig

Results	166.51	
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.3
	System Version		10.6.5 (10H574)
	Physical RAM		2048 MB
	Model		MacPro3,1
	Drive Type		SAMSUNG HD502HI
CPU Test	163.27	
	GCD Loop	284.18	14.98 Mops/sec
	Floating Point Basic	125.79	2.99 Gflop/sec
	vecLib FFT	108.79	3.59 Gflop/sec
	Floating Point Library	260.51	45.36 Mops/sec
Thread Test	475.16	
	Computation	435.95	8.83 Mops/sec, 4 threads
	Lock Contention	522.12	22.46 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test	199.81	
	System	213.89	
		Allocate	471.85	1.73 Malloc/sec
		Fill	151.33	7357.82 MB/sec
		Copy	188.75	3898.48 MB/sec
	Stream	187.46	
		Copy	173.22	3577.80 MB/sec
		Scale	173.08	3575.80 MB/sec
		Add	204.66	4359.70 MB/sec
		Triad	204.03	4364.80 MB/sec
Quartz Graphics Test	225.87	
	Line	173.16	11.53 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
	Rectangle	224.05	66.89 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
	Circle	189.08	15.41 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
	Bezier	204.92	5.17 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
	Text	578.25	36.17 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test	136.67	
	Spinning Squares	136.67	173.37 frames/sec
User Interface Test	334.37	
	Elements	334.37	1.53 Krefresh/sec
Disk Test	71.07	
	Sequential	147.60	
		Uncached Write	192.45	118.16 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	188.56	106.69 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	84.47	24.72 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	209.91	105.50 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Random	46.80	
		Uncached Write	16.74	1.77 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	169.68	54.32 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	77.24	0.55 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	145.11	26.93 MB/sec [256K blocks]

I am running into difficulty with the boot cd... When I boot from it boots quickly to the chameleon loader page and I get a message referrring to ramdisk and loading: done. It seems like an error but I'm not sure what it is..

Hi Maltice

So what happens after the Chameleon message 'loading: done' ?

Also, when I get the chameleon screen, I can only see my HDD if its in FAT.. If I format it with my macbook into journaled etc... It won't show up in the chameleon screen..

So you can successfully get to the Chameleon GUI - Great.

Chameleon hides HFS volumes that don't contain a valid OS X system so that might explain why you can't see your HDD in the GUI. You'll see your HDD after you've installed OS X.

Once I boot the SL disc, it just spins.. I let it load for a good hour before I figrued it wasn't going to work.

Is it an original retail DVD? is it corrupt? Try Silverfir's tip of connecting your DVD to the first SATA port, or even try connecting to the last SATA port (ie. 6) as I read only recently somewhere that the optical drive is supposed to be connected to that? But I guess as you can already boot from the bootCD that it might not help.

@hetman - well done with your install and for finding answers to your own questions :)

As for backup - I also use Carbon Copy Cloner.

Xbench scores? - I haven't used that for ages as it's an old app now, but for reference I've just run it on my iMac 27" i7 and here's the result (Note: not sure how much difference it makes but the system was running other apps at the time)..

Results	402.80	
System Info		
	Xbench Version		1.3
	System Version		10.6.5 (10H574)
	Physical RAM		8192 MB
	Model		iMac11,3
	Drive Type		ST31000528AS
CPU Test	235.76	
	GCD Loop	361.89	19.08 Mops/sec
	Floating Point Basic	211.87	5.03 Gflop/sec
	vecLib FFT	137.83	4.55 Gflop/sec
	Floating Point Library	448.88	78.16 Mops/sec
Thread Test	1016.44	
	Computation	1035.08	20.97 Mops/sec, 4 threads
	Lock Contention	998.45	42.95 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test	449.96	
	System	493.20	
		Allocate	526.86	1.93 Malloc/sec
		Fill	397.29	19317.01 MB/sec
		Copy	599.66	12385.73 MB/sec
	Stream	413.69	
		Copy	393.52	8128.00 MB/sec
		Scale	377.69	7802.90 MB/sec
		Add	448.96	9563.75 MB/sec
		Triad	443.88	9495.64 MB/sec
Quartz Graphics Test	304.56	
	Line	263.52	17.54 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
	Rectangle	361.47	107.92 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
	Circle	294.36	23.99 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
	Bezier	302.44	7.63 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
	Text	317.25	19.85 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test	308.04	
	Spinning Squares	308.04	390.76 frames/sec
User Interface Test	444.63	
	Elements	444.63	2.04 Krefresh/sec
Disk Test	65.46	
	Sequential	200.13	
		Uncached Write	230.93	141.79 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	198.42	112.27 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	153.18	44.83 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	244.59	122.93 MB/sec [256K blocks]
	Random	39.13	
		Uncached Write	12.42	1.31 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Write	315.80	101.10 MB/sec [256K blocks]
		Uncached Read	72.97	0.52 MB/sec [4K blocks]
		Uncached Read	206.42	38.30 MB/sec [256K blocks]

So you can successfully get to the Chameleon GUI - Great.

Chameleon hides HFS volumes that don't contain a valid OS X system so that might explain why you can't see your HDD in the GUI. You'll see your HDD after you've installed OS X.

Is it an original retail DVD? is it corrupt? Try Silverfir's tip of connecting your DVD to the first SATA port, or even try connecting to the last SATA port (ie. 6) as I read only recently somewhere that the optical drive is supposed to be connected to that? But I guess as you can already boot from the bootCD that it might not help.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll try putting the DVD drive in port 0. Right now I have the HDD in port 0 and the DVD in port 1. As for the disc, I have a family pack retail Snow Leopard upgrade disc (I've only used one license so far). I read that I can use the upgrade disc as a retail full install disc... Could that be the issue?

When the chameleon loader screen comes on screen, I eject the boot loader CD and replace it with the Snow Leopard disc, hit f5 (which seems fine) and then I hit enter when it says "Mac OSX Installation". The Apple pops up and it just thinks forever.... Also, it is not a Chameleon version of the apple, its just the regular apple.

One last question, is the Cartri bios worth trying or should I stay away until later on?

-Maltice

As for the disc, I have a family pack retail Snow Leopard upgrade disc (I've only used one license so far). I read that I can use the upgrade disc as a retail full install disc... Could that be the issue?

I know you can't use the re-install disc that comes with say an iMac, but I'm not sure about using an upgrade disc. I've only ever used the retail DVD.

Also, it is not a Chameleon version of the apple, its just the regular apple.

hmmm.. I haven't booted from the bootCD for a while but I think you should be seeing the boot.png from Chameleon's theme and not the normal Apple.. I'll double check.

One last question, is the Cartri bios worth trying or should I stay away until later on?

Give it a shot if you want. You can use the same setup procedure here but you just don't need to use the DSDT.aml in the support files. But be aware that flashing your motherboard should be approached with caution and there is always a possibility, however slim, that you could damage your board. If you choose to do it, then follow Cartri's instructions to the letter.

I know you can't use the re-install disc that comes with say an iMac, but I'm not sure about using an upgrade disc. I've only ever used the retail DVD.

hmmm.. I haven't booted from the bootCD for a while but I think you should be seeing the boot.png from Chameleon's theme and not the normal Apple.. I'll double check.

Give it a shot if you want. You can use the same setup procedure here but you just don't need to use the DSDT.aml in the support files. But be aware that flashing your motherboard should be approached with caution and there is always a possibility, however slim, that you could damage your board. If you choose to do it, then follow Cartri's instructions to the letter.

Well, for 29 bux maybe I wil pick up another copy of the retail disc and see if that is the issue. In the meantime I'll stick with the f9 bios until I get to the install screen. I'll update once I get to the install screen for those who have the same issue I got. Thanks for the replies.

-Maltice

Hi TYNMDYS

Uplaod your DSDT and kextstat

run on terminal

Alright, well, I typed kextstat into terminal and here's a PDF of the result. Here's the DSDT from Chameleon/Extra.

Also, how do I check if speedstep is working with my q6600 G0?

EDIT: It says I'm not permitted to upload the DSDT. It's the one from the latest support files, though.

Kextstat.pdf

Sleep: Apple menu vs key-combination:

Hi - I brought up my EP45-DS3L to the latest SW-level (Charm RC5; 10.6.5) works fine but this observation is odd:

When I put the system to sleep via Apple-menu-->sleep - I can wake up the thing with a stroke on the USB-keyboard.

When I put it into sleep with alt+cmd+eject - it goes into sleep, but cannot be woken up by a keystroke - I have to give the power button a hit --> which leads to a reset & reboot.

any idea ??

thanks

Gerhard

can anyone boot up with 64bit kernel and extensions?

mine is a raid setup, chameleon is supposed to boot with 64bit by default, don't know why it's not working.

adding arch=x86_64 didn't help either..

Hi muitommy - Sorry for my absence, but I've been busy as normal :)

I've tried rebooting without my arch=i386 ket/string in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and I see

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes

So it works for me.

Sleep: Apple menu vs key-combination:

Hi - I brought up my EP45-DS3L to the latest SW-level (Charm RC5; 10.6.5) works fine but this observation is odd:

When I put the system to sleep via Apple-menu-->sleep - I can wake up the thing with a stroke on the USB-keyboard.

When I put it into sleep with alt+cmd+eject - it goes into sleep, but cannot be woken up by a keystroke - I have to give the power button a hit --> which leads to a reset & reboot.

Hi Gerhard

Interesting.. I have just tried sleeping with alt+cmd+eject which gives the same result as you; machine goes to sleep, keystroke/mouse click does nothing, hit power button on case and it resets & reboots.

I think that's the first time I've tried sleeping that way!.. I always use either Apple Menu->Sleep or press the power button on my keyboard which brings up a dialog box with options to restart, sleep, cancel or shutdown.

If I get time, I'll have a look in to it, but it's got to be DSDT related.

Alright, well, I typed kextstat into terminal and here's a PDF of the result. Here's the DSDT from Chameleon/Extra.

Hi TYNMDYS

I see you're running the EP35-DS3L in which case you will be wanting to use a DSDT for you board and not this one. I see MaLd0n has offered to help you in which case I would accept his help as he know's a lot regarding DSDT. So the simplest and quickest option for you will be to check MaLd0n's guide and build a patched DSDT as he shows in his thread. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=232678

Updated to 10.6.5 from 10.6.4 last night, everything works but gfx. It's stuck at bluescreen, but I hear growl starting up (*pling*). I always used EFI string, but now some kext seems to block / interfere with it. Bootloader is Cham RC4 with GraphicsEnabler set to "y"...

It's a 9500GT with 1024MB. Clue, anyone? :excl:

Hi fragreaver

I don't have any definite answer for you but maybe you could try the latest Chameleon RC5 to see if it makes a difference? If you don't want to mess up your current cham partition then you can always install it to a USB memory stick. The PDF guides will help you install if you're not sure.

Chameleon_RC5_r651.zip

Hello blackosx

Appreciate your great work done on hp6720s.

Can I use your guides to install your distro on EP45-DS4P mobo?

It is almost the same, some details are different only.

And I have QUAD Q8200 can you please advice as I am expereinced

in hack building but to make process faster need your advice.

Cheers mate.

I'm at a loss trying to get this to work. I've been over the guide a dozen times and I'm totally stumped. At some point, I loaded up the Cartri Gigabyte BIOS thinking it may simplify matters, but it hasn't helped at all.

First, my specs:

GA-EP45-DS3L

Intel Q6600

8GB DD2 800 Crucial Ballistix

Asus 9800GT 512mb

WD Velociraptor 150GB

LG SATA DVD±R

I'm trying to do a very simple single-OS install. My HDD has two partitions, Cham and Macintosh. I've been able to install the OS just fine, but installing Chameleon per the guide's instructions doesn't work at all. Since I have the Cartri BIOS, I've followed this guide to letter, except I don't install DSTL.aml.

The first issue is that after rebooting, I seem to lose my DVD drive. It doesn't show up during post and really hinders my ability to troubleshoot. I pretty much have to load the fail-safe defaults in BIOS to get it back, and start all over from the beginning.

After completing Step 7, Part 4, I reboot. I'm then met with this, which is frozen, and doesn't rotate:

5233231721_56f8ae6d8d_z.jpg

After a few minutes, I'm met with this. This hangs around for about 10 minutes, repeating a few times.

5233231763_6fc2742b3d_z.jpg

Eventually Chameleon loads. But during boot, it hangs up waiting for DSMOS:

5233231839_df67456b50_z.jpg

Even in safe mode, it hangs up:

5233231803_71b4c53401_z.jpg

Not sure where to go with this, any help?

dpoole,

The ebios error means that you don't have the CMOS-reset bug fix for Snow Leopard in your DSDT.aml. Of course, like you said,

you don't need the DSDT.aml (or at least that's what I think you mean since you spelled it DSTL.aml) because you are using Cartri Gigabyte Bios which has the CMOS-reset bug fix already built in.

I think the most logical thing is that the Cartri bios flash either didn't take or wasn't successful. You may want to try flashing your motherboard again.

BlackOSX guide is the most clearly written guide I have ever came across in the hackintosh community. Either completely follow his guide, and chime in here with the part you are stuck with so we can specifically help you through it. Or go to the Cartri thread and figure out the issue there. Right now, it seems like there are too many variables to fully help and I am not certain how familiar you are with all this hackintosh stuff.

I have followed BlackOSX guide from it's early editions and I also currently use Cartri Bios. So I speak with experience getting OSX installed using each method. Hopefully we can get you up and running. It shouldn't be difficult at all.

Question: After Snow Leopard is installed to the HD, are you able to boot into it at all with the BlackOSX BootCD inserted?