[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

• Please log in to reply
3675 replies to this topic

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,053 posts

@blackosx, I am officially giving up.......
.... mine is a hacked install, not vanilla.....
I am tired of all the searching and reading.

Okay yelloguy. Well at least you have a good go at it.
I do think performing a SL install is easier if you are used to using a retail install. As you know what's changed in your system to get it working. With the 'hacked' installs it's hard to know exactly what files have been used to get your system running, which kexts have been hacked, what versions those are etc.

Have another go when you feel ready.

Had KP a few second after star But Find a solution Change the SATA Cable position in the Motherboard :)

Can I switch between 32-64bits changing the Apropiate without problem? or is better stick with one?

BTW what is the advantage of use 64 bit over 32 for examaple using Final Cut Studio 3?

Thanks

So have you got it up and running? if so then well done :)
I have chosen to stick with 32-bit, but I can happily switch to 64-bit with out any problems apart from Bonjour.
As for the advantage of using 64-bit over 32-bit in Final Cut Studio 3? - I couldn't tell you as I don't use it.

I'm also getting a KP when it tries to run the fsck.
....this is on a GA-EP35-DS3R which also uses the 889a audio codec.
.....I'll try what you recommeded above in the reinstall as well, blackosx.

Thanks desau13.
Someone else here had a KP at fsck before, but I don't know if they ever got it sorted. But I couldn't help ;)
Hopefully you can get it to work.

@blackosx
Your guide works splendidly. I now have SL running very well with everything working except Bonjour. When you mention to build an Extensions.mkext, which kexts do you have in the E/E folder? I tried various combinations and nothing lets me have Bonjour with the built-in network card. I read somewhere that IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext are necessary along with the RealtekR1000.kext but it seems that the first two are already in the System/Library. Should I use an older version of those kexts? If so, do I remove the newer ones from S/L?

Hi kreayshunist

Thanks and well done, Good to hear about another successful install :D
I looks like you have done everything correctly for trying to get Bonjour working. The only kext I have differently to you is Disabler.kext for my QT Mouse fix. (I know SleepEnabler now includes this but I haven't had time to test it yet :))

You are using 32-bit? as 64-bit Bonjour doesn't work. I used IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext for my 10.5.7 install you don't need to touch them this time as the Extensions.mkext includes all the extensions.

kreayshunist

kreayshunist

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Hi kreayshunist

Thanks and well done, Good to hear about another successful install :)
I looks like you have done everything correctly for trying to get Bonjour working. The only kext I have differently to you is Disabler.kext for my QT Mouse fix. (I know SleepEnabler now includes this but I haven't had time to test it yet ;))

You are using 32-bit? as 64-bit Bonjour doesn't work. I used IONetworkingFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext for my 10.5.7 install you don't need to touch them this time as the Extensions.mkext includes all the extensions.

It seems that the SleepEnabler is working then because I get absolutely no mouse lag ;)

Yes, I am using 32-bit. I haven't really had time to try 64-bit yet.

One other thing I noticed: IORegistryExplorer reports the network card as AppleRTL8169Ethernet with model RTL8168C. Is your computer the same?

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,053 posts

It seems that the SleepEnabler is working then because I get absolutely no mouse lag ;)

Yes, I am using 32-bit. I haven't really had time to try 64-bit yet.

One other thing I noticed: IORegistryExplorer reports the network card as AppleRTL8169Ethernet with model RTL8168C. Is your computer the same?

Thanks, I will have to get round to adding the new SleepEnabler
For IORegistryExplorer, as I have got RealtekR1000 loaded I get this (see attached). I have also attached a screengrab of NetworkUtility. They both show mine as RTL8169.

Attached Files

kreayshunist

kreayshunist

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Thanks, I will have to get round to adding the new SleepEnabler
For IORegistryExplorer, as I have got RealtekR1000 loaded I get this (see attached). I have also attached a screengrab of NetworkUtility. They both show mine as RTL8169.

That may be the reason Bonjour isn't working for me. Is there a way to force load a driver? Other than possibly installing RealtekR1000.kext in S/L I have no other ideas. Shouldn't Chameleon load it from E/E? Sorry if I seem a little clueless as the bulk of my experience is on Apple machines.

andycorleone

andycorleone

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Can I switch between 32-64bits changing the Apropiate without problem? or is better stick with one?

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,053 posts

That may be the reason Bonjour isn't working for me. Is there a way to force load a driver? Other than possibly installing RealtekR1000.kext in S/L I have no other ideas. Shouldn't Chameleon load it from E/E? Sorry if I seem a little clueless as the bulk of my experience is on Apple machines.

to see if your RealtekR1000.kext is loaded, you can load up Terminal and type
sudo kextstat
that will give you a list of all loaded extensions.

with regard to loading kexts manually, load up Terminal and type
man kextload
to read about options

You should be able to switch between 32 & 64bit fine. Although some users have reported one working better than the other, or one resulting in a KP.

fragreaver

fragreaver

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Here's the actual kernel panic I'm getting while installing from USB / HDD and actually in my working Installation, randomly. Getting really annoying. Already completely removed IOATAFamily.kext, but there's more to it..

Maybe anyone can help out...

Attached Files

titan4

titan4

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
So ... I wanted to play with SL and i saw cheap used EP45-DS3L you are using so i bought it :-)

First of all thanks for amazing guide and your hard work. I managed to have almost fully functional SL. I just have few notes.

• There is actually little mistake in DSDT tutorial. I have 8800 GTX card and there was no PEGP anywhere, however i needed to add it to make graphic driver work properly. No complain just detail.
  • I had to delete AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext for HD video from itunes to play on my display, but i guess that is older problem not related to SL or your tutorial. Just adding it in case somebody runs into same problem.
  • So I have only 2 little problems. Bonjour is not working because I am using x64 version and afaik there is no known fix for that. What worries me more is that SPDIF passtrough is not working for me. I found similar cases but it was always needed to patch AppleHDA.kext somehow. Is there any way to make it work only via DSDT ?

And 1 thing to add. Since i don't have 8GB usb drive at disposal and no place to backup external HDDs, I partitioned one internal drive with 2 partitions Install and Leopard installed iPC Leopard and from there i did same steps only instead USB drive I used Install partition on that drive. So actually you don't really need USB drive to make it work it can be replaced by internal drive.

shamansanchez

shamansanchez

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a GA-G31M-S2L, and these directions worked fine. I restored the DVD to a partition on my hard drive (I don't have an 8GB flash drive), and installed pcefi 10.2 onto a USB stick and used that to boot the Installer partition. Somehow, I was actually able to boot the installer, install, and boot into my new install with only one kext in /E/E on the USB stick, fakesmc.kext. I have graphics with EFI strings, but no sound yet, and I still get the UUID Error 35 in the console. (This is all with the 32 bit kernel though. Not sure if I want to go for 64, considering how nice this is working)

Attached Files

• Attached File  snow.png   854.17KB   228 downloads

EzEzE

EzEzE

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I wasn't able to get Snow Leopard to successfully install from a USB drive, it would KP after a minute or two of installation. I'm not sure what was causing that: I tried installing it several time, all with the same options selected, and it would halt at different positions through the install -- bizarre.

I was able to get a working setup by using the method in which you install from 10.5.8. I repaired permissions by using the Kext Utility Tool in Snow Leopard after an initial KP. If anyone else is having trouble with the USB install method, maybe this is the way to go.

By the way, I'm using a tested DDST file, and running BIOS revision F8 on my EP45-DS3L with a EXGA 9800 GTX+ video card.

Thanks for the awesome guides! Without them my system would never have been possible.

yelloguy

yelloguy

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
@blackosx, I finally found the solution. Someone in the inspiron 530 thread told me to boot safe mode with -x and run kext utility to fix all the kernel panics. That did it for me. Now the OS loads without any Kernel panics.

@fragreaver, those are the kernel panics I was seeing. So it might be worth a shot to boot safe mode and run kext utility (google it).

Now I have the OS but its not recognizing SATA (no internal HDD or DVD), no sound, no ethernet, and no USB Network adapter. I am not sure but I tried putting a couple of kexts (that I know should work) in the Cham/Extra/Extensions folder. But that didn't do anything. So I installed them with kext helper. But I am not sure that is right way for a Vanilla install. Shouldn't the kexts be loaded from the Cham partition? In any case, installing with kext helper didn't help either. Any idea whats going on?

Sleep does work but it doesn't wake up. Shutdown completely shutdown my machine a couple of times but not always. Restart still shuts down my machine with a power light on. But I like the new Vanilla setup.

shmk

shmk

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks for the great guide. I have sort of bastardized it and did what shamansanchez did. Bootloader on usb and the install on a hd partition. Still working out a few kinks but it is getting there. I have sound and ethernet but my dsdt.aml graphics didn't seem to work so I am just adding a efi string to my boot plist. No kps yet. When I hit the sleep button from the apple menu it ejected my usb stick is this normal or is there a fix for that?

thanks again this is fantastic.

I had been booting from the usb stick each time but I loaded everything from it onto the EFI partition and now it boots on its own! Awesome, boots even faster than 10.5.8. with fewer kexts!

This is {censored} hot!

kreayshunist

kreayshunist

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

to see if your RealtekR1000.kext is loaded, you can load up Terminal and type
sudo kextstat
that will give you a list of all loaded extensions.

with regard to loading kexts manually, load up Terminal and type
man kextload
to read about options

You should be able to switch between 32 & 64bit fine. Although some users have reported one working better than the other, or one resulting in a KP.

Good news: Bonjour finally works! :D
Bad news: I had to move RealtekR1000.kext into S/L. :)

Thanks for all of your help! I will tinker more with this later, but are you aware of any instances when even a combined Extensions.mkext from /Volumes/Cham/Extra will not load?

Now I have the OS but its not recognizing SATA (no internal HDD or DVD), no sound, no ethernet, and no USB Network adapter. I am not sure but I tried putting a couple of kexts (that I know should work) in the Cham/Extra/Extensions folder. But that didn't do anything. So I installed them with kext helper. But I am not sure that is right way for a Vanilla install. Shouldn't the kexts be loaded from the Cham partition? In any case, installing with kext helper didn't help either. Any idea whats going on?

I was having the same issues with some kexts not properly loading from Cham. I'm not sure how to fix it but I will definitely be trolling the forum to find a solution :D

dagdu

dagdu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I have SL running in 64 bit mode - with the help of BlackOSx's excellent guide -

Cisco VPN Client is not able to load the required kexts in 64 bit mode -

If I boot chameleon by typing -x32 - I am able to boot 32 bit kernel and Cisco VPN client works fine -

I am trying to make it the default option -
I have tried putting -x32 and -v -x32 in kernel flags string in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist file on CHAM partition -

It still boots 64 bit kernel - (System Profiler - Software - 64 bit kernel and extension ) -

Please advise what am I missing -

My com.apple.Boot.plist file -

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1680x1050x32</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-v -x32</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,3)</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>EHCIacquire</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UHCIreset</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>USBBusFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Instant Menu</key>
<string>No</string>

boogi

boogi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanks a lot for this guide -- I haven't tried it yet but it seems like you spent a lot of time on it and everything seems pretty clear. One quick question though, I only have one physical hard drive (and a 8gb USB stick that I plan on using as the installer source). Is it absolutely necessary to have two physical hard drives (one currently running Leopard and then a second for the Snow Leopard installation) or can I just install Snow Leopard to an empty partition on my Leopard drive? Thanks!

The Alchemist

The Alchemist

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
A very well written guide, although i have MSI P35 motherboard but i guess basic part of the process would be fairly identical so i'll be sticking to your guide for any help.
In addition to boogi's query i'd also like to know if you had any problems with Leopard/SL install not reading the Win7 partition.

I particularly had this issue when a tried partitioning in GUID scheme.

I made partitions in Disk utility in this order:

• Windows 7 FAT
  • Snow Leopard HFS+
  • Leopard HFS+
  • Data HFS+

After formatting these in GUID scheme, i performed a fresh Leo install on the 3'rd partition, after which i booted Win7 Setup and formatted the 1st Partition to NTFS within the setup and then installed windows on it, everything went smoothly without any hiccups until i booted back to my Leopard install only to find that Win7 partition shows as a blank FAT partition, which is surprising as windows runs without any issues.

I tried this atleast twice just to make sure but no luck. :(

Should i try partitioning with Leo and Snow partition above the windows partition, would it solve this?

Again, thanks a lot for this slick guide.

loisl

loisl

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
thanks for the howto
absolutely perfect
After about 20 kernel panic, it's nice to get a perfectly functioning Instructions

best regards
loisl

121fred

121fred

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Great guide - success with p35-ds3l motherboard - created dsdt.aml all OK. Next machine ep35-ds3p same install created dsdt.aml boots and doesn't restart cmos so dsdt.aml is being loaded but the video will not work for 8800 gts 512mb defaults to basic video. tried a number of times to build new dsdt.aml but no go Help please!!

fragreaver

fragreaver

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
I started the stress test 0:50am, KP occured at 2:30...some video encoding, video running, cpu load with cpuTest.

Maybe I'll do a complete reinstall or fixing permissions with Kext Utility. I'm gonna get snow kitteh to work, even if it's the last thing do! :(

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,053 posts
@fragreaver - Sorry fragreaver, I have never seen the KP before.. and I can't think what could be causing that.

@titan4 - Great news - Well done :(

The DSDT guide just shows what I did, but it is a bit of a dark art, and there will be differences with everyones system.

Yes, AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext does deal with HD. I haven't played with any video from iTunes. But all my HD movies are Matroksa (.mkv) files and they play great in an app called movist.

Bonjour has now been reported as working in64-bit using the latest drivers from Psystar and a little hack.. I haven't had a chance to try is yet as this morning my first priority is to reply on here..... :) But read down from here. There is also a bit about fixing Time Machine if anybody has problems with it.

Audio - I don't use any more than Stereo, so I haven't tested SPDIF passtrough but again there is a thread going about somewhere about digital audio.

Thanks for pointing out your method of installation. So for anybody without a USB drive have a look. :)

@shamansanchez - Again great news and well done :)
This is another variation of the install and good to hear you got that working as well. Again for anybody else, this could be the solution for you. Just using fakesmc.kext will get you loaded, but you will need the platformUUID.kext fix to sort your UUID Error 35. And for sound? well that's unfortunately gonna be down to you finding out what's needed for you mobo.

@EzEzE - As long as you have an install working then that's great. Well done EzEzE :)

@yelloguy - Fantastic! Again, well done for getting your system up and running without KP's.

But for your inspiron 530, you are going to have to search for what you now need to get everything else working. In the past I have found that not all kexts will load from E/E.
I always try to get my systems running by only adding extra kexts etc to E/E, and I don't touch /S/L/E. That's what make this install different from some of the others. The beauty of this is when you have worked out what's needed in your /E/E, you can install a new system from a retail DVD, boot from Chameleon and it will be 100% working.

@shmk - Again, well done :)
You are just going to need it apply any kexts ets... specific for your mobo.

@kreayshunist - Well done getting Bonjour working :) Not so good If you had to move RealtekR1000.kext into S/L/E
But, yes like I said to yelloguy above, In the past I have had instances when kext refuse to load from /E/E.

@dagdu - So you have 64-bit running - Fantastic.
But I don't know why your system won't boot using the kernel in 32-bit, as your com.apple.Boot.plist looks fine.

@boogi - If you have a USB memory stick and one Physical HD then you should be fine. see how titan4 and shamansanchez did it above :) But with Leopard and SnowLeopard on the same HD, you'll have to work out a way for Chameleon to load the correct kexts for each system when you boot?

@The Alchemist - Thanks, and yes the general principle of this guide will work with any setup. I haven't got a Windows install on my machine at the moment as I wiped that drive so I could start using SnowLeopard. When I did my Dual boot with 10.5.8 and Win7, I installed Chameleon to the EFI partition, then OS X to 1st partition, Win7 on 2nd. See my dual boot guide for more details.

@loisl - Thanks - I am happy it's worked for you too :D

@121fred - Well done to you too for a successful install:)
If you can't get your video working from DSDT.aml then leave that section blank and add an EFI string for video to your com.apple.Boot.plist.

@fragreaver - Just when you think you have it all perfect - it goes and does that?... bad kitty..
You'll have to nail it soon :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy