[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

My folder structure only looked like that when the SL installation failed at the last minute. After a successful installation I could only see the standard four folders.

i just did a fresh install to see if this was the issue, and after wiping the drive and reinstalling SL, i have the same folder structure.

I'm pretty sure you're viewing hidden/system files in your finder. Turn that off and you should have a more normal folder structure:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Viewing_hidden_files_on_a_Mac

i tried this and it was not the issue either.

thank you for the input, i appreciate the help. i hope i can get this figured out, it is annoying having all of those folders in the root of the drive!

any more suggestions?

@blackosx, have you experienced any slight "crackling" noises when system notification sounds come up (e.g. the default "funk" or "glass" sounds). It usually only occurs for me when there hasn't been any other sound output for a while and it only happens the first time (e.g. if I repeat the sound, there is no crackling noise).

I have the same motherboard EP45-DS3L so I'm using an ALC888 and your LegacyHDA.kext from the Snow Leopard package. Just curious if you've experienced this. Perhaps I should try compiling a new DSDT with the ALC888-2 option instead? Thanks!

@Blackosx,

Do I still need to add netkas boot to chams root if i'm using kernal flag -x32 in boot.plist?

And if I'm using DSDT then I would use V10.0 correct?

Please, pretty please, can you give noob instructions for the new Bonjour installation/fix?

I'm lost in space on this one :D

@The Alchemist - Thanks, and yes the general principle of this guide will work with any setup. I haven't got a Windows install on my machine at the moment as I wiped that drive so I could start using SnowLeopard. When I did my Dual boot with 10.5.8 and Win7, I installed Chameleon to the EFI partition, then OS X to 1st partition, Win7 on 2nd. See my dual boot guide for more details.

Thanks for the quick response blackosx.

Thanks fragreaver, got past that point. Now it KPs and it says 64 bit mode is enabled even though I put -x32. I also tried arch=i386 but that still didn't force 32 bit.

You can tell which system Chameleon is going to boot by the white text in the top left hand corner that appears just after your select to load SnowLeopard. Something like 'Darwin x32' (Might not be exact)

Hey BlackOSx the epitome of guides!! I'm getting KP with my mobo P5K Pro. Any suggestions? Thanks

2gxhgr5.jpg

-PB

Hi Prettyby7

Chameleon with EFI will boot with 64-bit kernel by default. which is known to cause problems. Boot into 32bit first.

boot with flag -x32

Just type -x32 when chameleon come up after you select the boot partition.

or add it to com.apple.boot.plist

should look like this

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-x32</string>

does anyone else's SL folder structure look like this? a lot different than the leopard and tiger structure. weird, or am i crazy?

Hi robotfactory.. I have had this, but I don't know.. Try clicking 'Repair Disk Permissions' in Disk Utility.

@boogi - No problem, thanks and well done :D

Thanks for the note about PEGP in DSDT. a few peoeple have mentioned this so I have now added a note to the front page of the DSDT thread about this.

@EzEzE - Thanks for reporting you variation of the install. Well done :)

I have noted the PEGP setting in DSDT. Thanks

@lukeyb. thanks for posting the tip.. I think someone else (fragreaver) had this problem that it was the video card / driver causing this KP. I might have to put together a common Kernel Panic guide to help identify workarounds?

And thanks for helping out Prettyby7.

Thanks Again :)

@prettyby7 - Your KP is common with not using Netkas' PC EFI boot v10

@banini_jeque

It's a shame you can't use your Radeon 3870 - but at least you have found out why.. Keep your eye on Netkas' site for any updates etc.

@boogi

Yes, My audio is as you have described. The very first sound has a tiny crackle, faint, numbed, sound but after that everything is sweet.

@flyguyjake - Yes, you will still need Netkas' PC EFI V10 boot file. I choose to use v10.1 but v10 should work fine as long as you have a DSDT.aml. SnowLeopard won't to boot with it.

As for the Bonjour installation/fix - Download my v1.3 support files from the front page, I have included that in there with a ReadMe. It's not an automatic options yet, you have to apply it manually at the moment but this doesn't worry me at the moment as I generally leave my machine on and just put it to sleep. (I only need to reboot at the moment when I am doing some testing)

@The Alchemist - No Problem - hope the dual boot guide helped you :)

@Icanos - Great - Thanks for letting me know - well done :)

Sleep works OK for you blackosx ? Because I tried it only on x64 and it does not work it just shutdowns. I will try at evening on x32 to see if it is x64 problem only.

Sleep is great for me. I can guarantee now that 32-bit works. I will double-check this evening with 64-bit too, but I am sure that works too.

EDIT - If it helps, I am using the SleepEnabler that is in my support files , I haven't tried the new one (with the included disabler / QT mouse fix)

EDIT - If it helps, I am using the SleepEnabler that is in my support files , I haven't tried the new one (with the included disabler / QT mouse fix)

I have that one too. As I mentioned before I have same board as you on my kitty-machine so I used same kexts. I will investigate further at evening when I get home.

I give up. I have the same error as prettyby7 bar the 'kext submap' line which is caused by loading Leopard's kext on top of Snow Leopard.

I've checked and double checked permissions. Loaded fail-safe BIOS defaults countless of times. Even repatched my DSDT.aml with various configurations. Guess I'll have to wait until a more fool-proof method is available...

I give up. I have the same error as prettyby7 bar the 'kext submap' line which is caused by loading Leopard's kext on top of Snow Leopard.

I've checked and double checked permissions. Loaded fail-safe BIOS defaults countless of times. Even repatched my DSDT.aml with various configurations. Guess I'll have to wait until a more fool-proof method is available...

Okay Simonia. Hopefully you'll find a way sometime soon.

I got mines (ep45-ds3) working with this guide, i had to add the sound fix and the bonjour fix. The only think that i can't make to run is sleep, it just turn off the disks.

Any ideas to make sleep work?

llblasi

Well done with getting your system installed :(

As for your sleep? - I don't know.. Did it work fine for you in 10.5.8?

but as soon as i booted through it i got this kernel panic

Where did this happen? Have you managed to run the installer? has it installed and now you're booting 10.6 and this happens? Are you using kexts for your mobo?

It happens just after i boot into chameleon when booting through the USB stick, the installer just fails to start.

No it hasn't installed at all, i'm just booting through the bootable USB install disk which i made precisely following the instructions in your guide.

Here's the folder structure on my USB stick.

post-250590-1251811056_thumb.png

Edit: I came across a screenshot of your "Install" disk permissions,owners etc. few pages back, mine seems to be messed up.:(

This could be a reason perhaps? how do i set these right?

post-250590-1251811789_thumb.jpg

In 10.5.8 it goes to sleep but it doesn't wake, but in my 10.5.8 installation i don't us a dsdt.aml file only installed ls8 driver pack.

It's posible to be a bios config problem?

I don't know. But in the past when I was using 10.5.6 from lensboards guide I used to have a problem with sleep and I searched for a long time to find the answer. I tried everything and in the end it was my cheap mouse, not letting the system sleep. In the console I would see a message like 'Entering Sleep' then 'Wake, reason USB'. Anyway, since I fixed it and I had sleep working in 10.5.7 and 10.5.8... it also works in 10.6.

DSDT.aml doesn't have anything to do with sleep, so I would try and get sleep working with your 10.5.8 and then you'll probably work with 10.6.

It happens just after i boot into chameleon when booting through the USB stick, the installer just fails to start.

No it hasn't installed at all, i'm just booting through the bootable USB install disk which i made precisely following the instructions in your guide.

Here's the folder structure on my USB stick.

Okay. Well your USB looks good from that screenshot.

Maybe just try it with fakesmc.kext? just to see it that allows the 10.6 DVD to boot?

I got my first batch of kernel panics late last night/early this morning (I guess they were bound to happen at some point). I haven't had time to really troubleshoot the problem yet, but it seems to have started ever since I setup Time Machine to backup my system. I'm using the same external USB hard drive that I used for Time Machine in Leopard and I didn't format it, so it should be combining backups.

For the first few hours in Snow Leopard, I disabled Time Machine and my system was running fine. Then I turned it on and it seems to kernel panic within 30 mins (always while the backup process is running). I've since disabled Time Machine again and might keep it that way for a few days to see if my system is stable again. Is anyone else experiencing this?

BlackOSX,

I have the same MB and I am currently using retail install of 10.5.7 with BOOT-132 method. I use modified AppleHDA.kext for sound. That gives me only 2ch stereo, but it is clear and has no noise what so ever. With your method, can I still use my existing AppleHDA.kext on 64bit Kernel? Or will it cause KP?

Thanks.

Hi undo_undo, Now that's a question... :mellow:

I can't possibly tell you if AppleHDA.kext with the kernel in 64-bit mode will cause a KP?. Lots of things cause a KP..

My installs are based around the idea of the installed system remains untouched and anything else required to get your system working all goes in /Extra. All I can tell you about audio for this mobo is the method I use, and personally I think it's the best method, and that's using the HDEF option in DSDT and add a LegacyHDA.kext to /E/E.

I think you should first attempt to install 10.6 and get it running, then once it's stable, look into achieving the best audio option for you.