[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

@blackosx

When you speak of your separate pc i realize that i don't use my desktop to play movies on my tv anymore so i am starting to wonder if it is worth it. I guess not :-)

However i still have problems with Bonjour. It works when using that modified ifconfig, but only for a while. After few minutes it just stops working :-(

EDIT: And after few another minutes it works again it is just strange :-(

First of All!

Your guide is how most of the guides SHOULD be!

Outstanding work!

Back to my Retail Hackintosh.

I have succeeded to install SL on my x86 tower, running on a Gigabyte P35-DS3R.

Everything works fine except for the LAN part.

Somehow SL is not able to load the R1000.kext, so instead it loads the default RTL8169, I think.

So, no 1Gb for me, and sometimes that's a pain in...

I do not use the built-in audio, because my Hackintosh serves as DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) with Logic Studio 9.

Another issue I bumped into was that I could not boot my 10.5.8 Hackintosh anymore.

Using the Chameleon Boot Manager it just would not start.

So I just followed step 8 (on page 11 & 12 of the PDF version) of the "Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Retail Tutorial" by CaptainNemo (on InsanelyMac Forums).

And now I can boot both Leopards.

So, many thanks for your efforts (and CaptainNemo also many thanks).

Greg

@blackosx

When you speak of your separate pc i realize that i don't use my desktop to play movies on my tv anymore so i am starting to wonder if it is worth it. I guess not :-)

However i still have problems with Bonjour. It works when using that modified ifconfig, but only for a while. After few minutes it just stops working :-(

EDIT: And after few another minutes it works again it is just strange :-(

Lol.. fair enough - But it's still an unanswered question...

I haven't given the Bonjour a major test other than to discover it works. It's not good if it stops and starts, I will have to do some testing. Thanks for the heads up :P

Kittie plays well for about 3h now with some stress (encodes some videos [12 of 45 videos done]), CPUTest in the background, iTunes running, Safari browsing) in the background. Didn't even last over 90 minutes last time...it's a good kitteh :)

Good kitty... he he... (Well done for keeping us posted regarding your stress testing.. )

Hopefully this time it'll be fine? (I haven't seen a KP for a week now) :D

First of All!

Your guide is how most of the guides SHOULD be!

Outstanding work!

Back to my Retail Hackintosh.

I have succeeded to install SL on my x86 tower, running on a Gigabyte P35-DS3R.

Everything works fine except for the LAN part.

Somehow SL is not able to load the R1000.kext, so instead it loads the default RTL8169, I think.

So, no 1Gb for me, and sometimes that's a pain in...

I do not use the built-in audio, because my Hackintosh serves as DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) with Logic Studio 9.

Another issue I bumped into was that I could not boot my 10.5.8 Hackintosh anymore.

Using the Chameleon Boot Manager it just would not start.

So I just followed step 8 (on page 11 & 12 of the PDF version) of the "Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 Retail Tutorial" by CaptainNemo (on InsanelyMac Forums).

And now I can boot both Leopards.

So, many thanks for your efforts (and CaptainNemo also many thanks).

Greg

Thank you g_MAC :D

You should be able to get the RealtekR1000.kext to load. Did you get Gigabit networking in 10.5.8?

Chameleon requires a different set of kexts to boot 10.5.8 to 10.6. What's CaptainNemo say about this?

Thing is I have only one use for bonjour and that is iPhone Remote app for iTunes playback controlling.

1) When I start iTunes and then Remote app on iPhone it works just fine

2) Then I lose wifi connection on iPhone (let's say it gone to sleep)

3) When i gain it again it doesn't connect until I quit iTunes and start it again then it works again

Problem is I don't know if this is problem of iPhone, iTunes or Bonjour, but I can test it with my Windows notebook and it works OK there so I just don't know what is going on :-(

Thing is I have only one use for bonjour and that is iPhone Remote app for iTunes playback controlling.

1) When I start iTunes and then Remote app on iPhone it works just fine

2) Then I lose wifi connection on iPhone (let's say it gone to sleep)

3) When i gain it again it doesn't connect until I quit iTunes and start it again then it works again

Problem is I don't know if this is problem of iPhone, iTunes or Bonjour, but I can test it with my Windows notebook and it works OK there so I just don't know what is going on :-(

Okay. Well sharing my itunes library from Vista PC works fine. I have an iPhone too (3G not 3GS). I am just testing the Remote app and I will let you know how I get on.

EDIT: All working fine here.. On the iPhone, don't forget to have the 'Stay Connected' slider set to ON, so when the phone sleeps it stays connected.

Yes it works when i have "Stay Connected" ON however with windows machine it automatically connect fine without it. On kitty it just doesn't until I restart iTunes. What if I just need to walk away with phone for a while (translation = take it with me to toilet to play some more wolf3d) and it looses wifi signal in process - after that I am forced to restart iTunes. This may be generic SL iTunes issue and not be related to our little bonjour hack.

EDIT: Ok there is something wrong. I have one more bonjour app on iPhone - Writeroom, which is capable of sharing notes from it via bonjour. When I restart kitty it shows on Safari OK. I can restart it how many times I want it always shows, but when I start iTunes it stops working until i restart whole kitty.

EDIT2: After another restart it stopped working completely. I am calling it off today because it is driving me crazy and I want to enjoy my new kitty as much as i can.

EDIT3: After some quick searches on Apple support forums apparently I am not the only one with similar problem and it may be caused by router.

EDIT4: I think I have isolated the problem. There seems to be bonjour related problem when connecting devices which one of them is connected via WiFi and other one via LAN. Both of them are on same router. Now I have no idea what to do with that :-)

EDIT4: I think I have isolated the problem. There seems to be bonjour related problem when connecting devices which one of them is connected via WiFi and other one via LAN. Both of them are on same router. Now I have no idea what to do with that :-)

I have been doing some testing with 'Stay Connected' set to OFF on the iPhone.

I have iPhone connected by WiFi (Obviously) and my Hack and Vista Machine connected by ethernet.

Using the iPhone's remote app on both Vista and Snow Leopard work the same with the following...

After waking iPhone from sleep, the remote app reads 'Cannot not find Library XXXX' then searches and after a second or two automatically reconnects with a new message reading 'Connecting to Library XXXX'.

I have SL running in 64 bit mode - with the help of BlackOSx's excellent guide -

Cisco VPN Client is not able to load the required kexts in 64 bit mode -

If I boot chameleon by typing -x32 - I am able to boot 32 bit kernel and Cisco VPN client works fine -

I am trying to make it the default option -

I have tried putting -x32 and -v -x32 in kernel flags string in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist file on CHAM partition -

It still boots 64 bit kernel - (System Profiler - Software - 64 bit kernel and extension ) -

Please advise what am I missing -

My com.apple.Boot.plist file -

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v -x32</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>EHCIacquire</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UHCIreset</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>No</string>

anybody else having problem booting into 32 bit mode ... ?

Do I need to copy the /Extra folder to Snow leopard as well ... ? {it is current on the chameleon partition } -

I have been doing some testing with 'Stay Connected' set to OFF.

I have iPhone connected by WiFi (Obviously) and my Hack and Vista Machine connected by ethernet.

Both Vista and Snow Leopard work the same with the following...

After waking iPhone from sleep, the remote app reads 'Cannot not find Library XXXX' then searches and after a second or two automatically reconnects with a new message reading 'Connecting to Library XXXX'.

Yes that is because after waking iPhone is only in 3G Mode and after a while it connects to WiFi it does the same thing for me. Problem is that it can't reconnect until I restart iTunes.

What I figured by testing on my XP notebook is that when i connect it by ethernet it does not find remote on network but when i connect it by wifi it works flawlessly so there is a problem.

anybody else having problem booting into 32 bit mode ... ?

Do I need to copy the /Extra folder to Snow leopard as well ... ? {it is current on the chameleon partition } -

Hi dagdu

Like you I have everyting I need set in Cham partition.

To boot in to 32-bit I use the following in my com.apple.Boot.plist....

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-x32</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>No</string>

</dict>

</plist>

If I want to boot in to 64-bit I just change

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

Yes that is because after waking iPhone is only in 3G Mode and after a while it connects to WiFi it does the same thing for me. Problem is that it can't reconnect until I restart iTunes.

What I figured by testing on my XP notebook is that when i connect it by ethernet it does not find remote on network but when i connect it by wifi it works flawlessly so there is a problem.

Do you have your Wireless and LAN in the same IP range? I am using DHCP, with my iPhone using 192.168.0.2, then 3 x machines using 192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.4 and 192.168.0.5 respectively.

I followed the directions to a T three times, and each time I try to boot from the USB drive, it hangs on the dmi pool table thing, which I would assume means chameleon isn't installing correctly.

I have read this before, but I am now too sure what it can be.. hopefully someone else can help you here... Sorry

Do you have your Wireless and LAN in the same IP range? I am using DHCP, with my iPhone using 192.168.0.2, then 3 x machines using 192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.4 and 192.168.0.5 respectively.

Of course I do :-) But actually I solved it. I enabled Multicast support in LAN settings on my Router and it works perfectly now. Thanks for trying to help, after all it was really problem only in my home network infrastructure.

EDIT: It works absolutely flawlessly now. I am so happy for my kitty :-)

Of course I do :-) But actually I solved it. I enabled Multicast support in LAN settings on my Router and it works perfectly now. Thanks for trying to help, after all it was really problem only in my home network infrastructure.

Okay lol - well done for sorting it :unsure:

I hereby declare my kittie tamed. Stress-tested it now for 5 hours (with the above tests...cputest, videoencoding, hdd tests) and no kernel panic at all.

Even 64Bit works now; while it crashed before I did "it" about a minute after login, it now runs flawlessly, too.

Wanna know, what it was? Switching the SATA ports. When all those KPs occured, the system hdd was plugged into port 3. Now, in Port 0 (in other words: the first port) everything just runs fine. I also used Kext Utility, just to make sure.

I guess that this was also what caused the errors during install.

Blackosx, maybe you should add this to your guide, just to make sure :)

Behold of da mighty snow kitteh!

I hereby declare my kittie tamed. Stress-tested it now for 5 hours (with the above tests...cputest, videoencoding, hdd tests) and no kernel panic at all.

Even 64Bit works now; while it crashed before I did "it" about a minute after login, it now runs flawlessly, too.

Wanna know, what it was? Switching the SATA ports. When all those KPs occured, the system hdd was plugged into port 3. Now, in Port 0 (in other words: the first port) everything just runs fine. I also used Kext Utility, just to make sure.

I guess that this was also what caused the errors during install.

Blackosx, maybe you should add this to your guide, just to make sure :)

Behold of da mighty snow kitteh!

Yes...the almighty kitty shall be tamed!... :)

Thanks for the tip about SATA ports - I'll add it to the front page for starters :)

does anyone else's SL folder structure look like this? a lot different than the leopard and tiger structure. weird, or am i crazy?

My folder structure only looked like that when the SL installation failed at the last minute. After a successful installation I could only see the standard four folders.

does anyone else's SL folder structure look like this? a lot different than the leopard and tiger structure. weird, or am i crazy?

I'm pretty sure you're viewing hidden/system files in your finder. Turn that off and you should have a more normal folder structure:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Viewing_hidden_files_on_a_Mac

@blackosx -- thanks a ton for your guide, I got a very stable installation of SL (at least no problems so far after a few hours)

I actually only used one physical hard drive and a USB stick for installation, so it's definitely possible. Unfortunately for me, I had my partition setup as follows:

640GB HD

Partition 1 - EFI (hidden and unused)

Partition 2 - Leopard (100gb -- *Chameleon installed on this drive)

Partition 3 - Windows 7 (30gb but unused)

Partition 4 - Data (530gb)

Since I needed to use Leopard, I obviously couldn't format/install Snow Leopard onto Partition 2, so I had to install it on Partition 3 following your guide to setup a USB stick install. I then booted into Leopard and created a Chameleon partition and set it up according to your guide. The next step was to use the USB stick to boot and I manually selected to boot into the Snow Leopard partition. This worked fine, and once in Snow Leopard, I formatted my Leopard partition (I had a Time Machine backup just in case though) and then reinstalled Snow Leopard onto Partition 2 (my main OS partition since 30gb seems a bit on the small side). Since the only version of Chameleon was now on the Chameleon drive, it recognized both installations of Snow Leopard. I booted into my main OS partition and formatted my first Snow Leopard partition. It was kind of a roundabout way of doing things, but it worked fine and from all I can tell it's stable.

Another note, my graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB and I can confirm that when creating my DSDT.aml file, I needed to check the PEGP box even though I never saw PEGP when using IORegistryExplorer. My first DSDT.aml file didn't have that box checked and when I installed Snow Leopard for the first time my graphics were not accelerated. My second installation used a DSDT.aml file compiled with the PEGP box checked and I instantly had perfect graphics.

Once again, thanks for all your help blackosx!

For people who are getting a KP during a USB installation, maybe you should try what I just did, or try another USB drive.

After the migration assistant messed all my hard work up, I gave the USB installation method another try. I plugged my destination drive into SATA Port 0 as fragreaver suggested. I tried to install from my USB drive and got the same KP I had been getting before.

I booted back into my 10.5.7 installation, and reformatted my destination drive using the same partitioning scheme suggested in the guide. I then restored my Snow Leopard Installation image to the Storage partition on that drive. After that, I skipped ahead in the guide and setup the Cham partition. I rebooted, booting from the newly partitioned drive, and intervened so as to boot from the Storage partition in Chameleon. I was then able to install SL without any errors!

After installation I booted straight into SL, and have been using it for about an hour, error free. I think the USB drive I had been using was incompatible.

I'm pretty sure you're viewing hidden/system files in your finder. Turn that off and you should have a more normal folder structure:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Viewing_hidden_files_on_a_Mac

@blackosx -- thanks a ton for your guide, I got a very stable installation of SL (at least no problems so far after a few hours)

I actually only used one physical hard drive and a USB stick for installation, so it's definitely possible. Unfortunately for me, I had my partition setup as follows:

640GB HD

Partition 1 - EFI (hidden and unused)

Partition 2 - Leopard (100gb -- *Chameleon installed on this drive)

Partition 3 - Windows 7 (30gb but unused)

Partition 4 - Data (530gb)

Since I needed to use Leopard, I obviously couldn't format/install Snow Leopard onto Partition 2, so I had to install it on Partition 3 following your guide to setup a USB stick install. I then booted into Leopard and created a Chameleon partition and set it up according to your guide. The next step was to use the USB stick to boot and I manually selected to boot into the Snow Leopard partition. This worked fine, and once in Snow Leopard, I formatted my Leopard partition (I had a Time Machine backup just in case though) and then reinstalled Snow Leopard onto Partition 2 (my main OS partition since 30gb seems a bit on the small side). Since the only version of Chameleon was now on the Chameleon drive, it recognized both installations of Snow Leopard. I booted into my main OS partition and formatted my first Snow Leopard partition. It was kind of a roundabout way of doing things, but it worked fine and from all I can tell it's stable.

Another note, my graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX+ 512MB and I can confirm that when creating my DSDT.aml file, I needed to check the PEGP box even though I never saw PEGP when using IORegistryExplorer. My first DSDT.aml file didn't have that box checked and when I installed Snow Leopard for the first time my graphics were not accelerated. My second installation used a DSDT.aml file compiled with the PEGP box checked and I instantly had perfect graphics.

Once again, thanks for all your help blackosx!

I also had to check the PEGP box to get DSDT working with my 9800GTX+ even though there was no mention of it in the IORegistry Explorer.