[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

10.6.4 Update is out (Thanks for the post Z4g0r) :)

I have just downloaded and updated to 10.6.4 using the Combo Updater (I have more than one system to update) from Apple.

SleepEnabler

If you're still using NUllCPUPowerManagement.kext and therefore SleepEnabler.kext you will need to remove SleepEnabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions before updating. I don't use it so updating is straightforward for me. As always, have a read about for any other info concerning video cards etc. but for my 8800GT, there are no issues whatsoever.

Audio

I have just amended the 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext for us and attached it here. All I have done with this is edited the AppleHDA binary inside the kext and changed the four occurences of 85 08 EC 10 with 88 08 EC 10 (as described in the previous 10.6.3 update post), then replaced the info.plist inside AppleHDAPlatformDriver from tmongkols 10.6.3 AppleHDA (which allows us to run without LegacyHDA.kext in E/E). You can install it in to /S/L/E as I described in the previously mentioned 10.6.3 update post. I don't know if this is the best solution but it works and I'll keep my eye on tmongkol's thread to see if he releases anything different.

EDIT: This is a revised AppleHDA.kext I have made and the headphones now work. (The first one I posted last night, didn't include the updates to the AppleHDAPlatformDriver.kext. Apologies for any confusion/hassle)

10.6.4_Amended_AppleHDA_for_ALC888_v2.zip

Bonjour

If you have used the RealtekR1000SL.kext method in /Extra/Extensions you will need to re-do that too (again see the previously posted link to the 10.6.3 update for details).

But it's late and I am going to bed. So I recommend reading and applying this update to your backup installs first to double check everything with your own hardware. But if anybody's unsure about anything then wait for everyone else to do it and see what gets reported. But otherwise, please report your success or issues that you find.

Good luck everybody and see you in the morning. :queen:

This how to works great on an GA P35-DS3L with a nVidia GeForce 8600GTS aswell. Just installed, but haven't upgraded

from 10.6 yet . . . working on it will let everyone know

Thanks!!

R

:(

. . . o.k. I've updated to 10.6.3 following the how to, and installed all software updates ( not including the 10.6.4 update ), and booted into 64bit kernel

It works awesome!!

Thanks for all your hard work guys!!

R

:)

Interesting.. What video card are you using? is it and ATI card?

Sleep & screen capture not working can be down to your video card not being correctly recognised. As for your logitech mouse, I guess you are going to have to go searching again (but you probably have by now) :(

The easy way around that issue is to not use SleepEnabler.

Most regular users have now ditched using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and therefore no longer require SleepEnabler.kext.

I got 8600GT video card. once I installed SL and boot into SL, I was able to get device property for my video card using osx86tool and put it in com.apple.boot.plist and turn on GraphicsEnabler. without this device property and GraphicsEnabler turned on, my screen went blank while booting into SL.

I got sleep and screencapture to work but I don't know exactly what fix it. I did chmod, chown on Extra folder, create cache using kextcache on the usb. but sleep and screencapture did not work right away until suddently later.

10.6.4 Update is out (Thanks for the post Z4g0r) :D

I have just downloaded and updated to 10.6.4 using the Combo Updater (I have more than one system to update) from Apple.

For updating I recommend everyone who is using NUllCPUPowerManagement.kext and therefore SleepEnabler.kext to snip

Good luck everybody and see you in the morning. :D

Dude, you are the best. I followed your steps, and I have a perfectly booting 10.6.4 install.

Wonderful

My desktop is like this:

GA-EP45_DS3LR F3a bios

Q6600

8G RAM

Leadtek 8800GT 512M

after days of work,it worked with 10.6.2 very nice, for months.

and I upgraded to 10.6.3

fixed some basic issues

It runs 24x7, so, I don't need any sleep. Restart is enough.

and I gave up the on-board ALC889, it's too hard to patch and the noise is too loud to bear.

I bought a PCM2704 USB Audio Adapter. Sound should be much better. I'm planning to replace the PCM2704 with PCM2702, it's the best USB Audio Codec IC from TI/BB.

I have another serious problem, the On-Board 1000Base-T RTL8111 now operates at 100Mbps.

and all the settings and ifconfig says it's 1000base-T <full-duplex>.

Someone have some patch or suggestion?

there's too few people using this mobo, i'm really tired to patch all things by my self.

blackosx, thanks for the quick response to the update. the edited AppleHDA is working for me, but is throwing these errors. anyone else seeing this?

Sound assertion "0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDAWidget.cpp" at line 3800 goto handler

Sound assertion "0 != widget->setUnsolicited ( true )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-187.4.1/AppleHDA/AppleHDACodecGeneric.cpp" at line 1130 goto handler

repeats about 6 times on boot up.

Updated to 10.6.4 and everything still working here ! ;)

Though i've an issue here.

For daily life i need some apps which need "en0 seen as builtin" by the system otherwise i can't get through the authorization process.

I know that can be fixed via efi-string but then my display is stuck in an annoying resolution

(1024x786 instead of 1680x1050). :mellow:

The other way is DSDT i guess, and that is like a secret book of magic for me although i started to play around with it.

I searched the forum for days now to find answers, but didn't have real success and t.b.h.

i'm still not familiar how all this works together, i could need some pro advice where to look and what i have to do to get this working.

If i have to provide more info about my system, please let me know !

I need these apps for work so any help is highly appreciated...

I'd like to learn how to fix this, could someone be so kind to help me ?

thanks

@ryjguy7 & bshagnasty - Well done ;)

@Nghia Developer - The front mic input not working has been an issue raised before. If the back works then just use that? But the front headphone I thought worked.. though you have a different mobo which might make a difference?

@Typh & bigpoppa206 - Has the 10.6.4 update sorted your Safari5 issue?

I was able to get device property for my video card using osx86tool and put it in com.apple.boot.plist and turn on GraphicsEnabler. without this device property and GraphicsEnabler turned on, my screen went blank while booting into SL.

Something's not right there. You'll only want to use one method not both, so device (EFI) strings, or Graphics Enabler.

My desktop is like this:

GA-EP45_DS3LR F3a bios

../snip/..

and I gave up the on-board ALC889, it's too hard to patch and the noise is too loud to bear.

Your GA-EP45_DS3LR uses ALC888 not ALC889.

I have another serious problem, the On-Board 1000Base-T RTL8111 now operates at 100Mbps.

and all the settings and ifconfig says it's 1000base-T <full-duplex>.

I haven't had to think about that issue before, has anybody else here come across it?

blackosx, thanks for the quick response to the update. the edited AppleHDA is working for me, but is throwing these errors. anyone else seeing this?

repeats about 6 times on boot up.

Hi agrafuese

Yeah, I get them too. I also got them with 10.6.3 with the older AppleHDA patch.

Unfortunately I don't have a fix for it but if anybody finds out about it then please share.

For daily life i need some apps which need "en0 seen as builtin" by the system otherwise i can't get through the authorization process.

I know that can be fixed via efi-string but then my display is stuck in an annoying resolution

(1024x786 instead of 1680x1050). :mellow:

Hi !Xabbu

Try setting the following in your com.apple.Boot.plist to enable your video and ethernet and make sure you remove any device properties (EFI) strings.

<key>GraphicsEnabler<key>

<string>yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltin<key>

<string>yes</string>

@Nghia Developer - The front mic input not working has been an issue raised before. If the back works then just use that? But the front headphone I thought worked.. though you have a different mobo which might make a difference?

Rear mic no longer works with the updated kernel extension. No idea about the front - not hooked up.

Thanks to blackosx!

u're right. I checked my photo, it's alc888

i decided to skip 10.6.3

updated 10.6.4 just now

the RTL8111C network:

manual 10baseT: 10M

manual 100baseT: no connection

manual 1000baseT: 1000M

auto select: 100baseT

don't know how and why, but it works now.

@ryjguy7 - Well done ;)

@Typh - Has the 10.6.4 update sorted your Safari5 issue?

Something's not right there. You'll only want to use one method not both, so device (EFI) strings, or Graphics Enabler.

Your GA-EP45_DS3LR uses ALC888 not ALC889.

I haven't had to think about that issue before, has anybody else here come across it?

Hi agrafuese

Yeah, I get them too. I also got them with 10.6.3 with the older AppleHDA patch.

Unfortunately I don't have a fix for it but if anybody finds out about it then please share.

Hi !Xabbu

Try setting the following in your com.apple.Boot.plist to enable your video and ethernet and make sure you remove any device properties (EFI) strings.

<string>yes</string>

<string>yes</string>

Hi !Xabbu

<string>yes</string>

<string>yes</string>

I didn't know about the EthernetBuiltin <key> ;)

I try that, but in the meantime i had found another solution that worked for me.

I copied a combined hex of graphics & ethernet to apple.boot.plist and voila...

en0 fixed and and i'm back to the perfect display.

I gave up too early, admited, but at least i've learned a little bit more !

I gonna undo the strings again and report back !

EDIT:

EthernetBuiltin=yes doesn't work for me. Sorry for this n00b question but to clarify.

We're talking about boot.plist in E/E , and not the one in L/Pref/DirSer ??

Yeah, the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, but if it doesn't work then stick with your combined device (EFI) string. Well done ;)

@kensenjiha - Good to hear your networking issue is solved. Thanks for reporting back :)

Rear mic no longer works with the updated kernel extension. No idea about the front - not hooked up.

Thanks for the post. I'll have a look in to it when I get some time.

Let me thank you so much for this guide that made me built the system in 45 mins. (approx.) As opposed to 2 weeks last August ;).

The only 2 things that I have a problem with are the Audio and Firewire (As long as I am concerned) I am using the the MoBo EP45-UD3R and the Audio device that comes with it is the ALC889a not 888. And for the firewire I have no idea. But they used to work fine on the older system that I had 10.6.1

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

10.6.4 Update is out (Thanks for the post Z4g0r) :D

SleepEnabler

If you're still using NUllCPUPowerManagement.kext and therefore SleepEnabler.kext you will need to remove SleepEnabler.kext from /Extra/Extensions before updating. I don't use it so updating is straightforward for me. As always, have a read about for any other info concerning video cards etc. but for my 8800GT, there are no issues whatsoever.

Thanks for the info. Quick question regarding the above NUllCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext removal.

Yes I use the above in the Cham/Extra/Extensions.

Do I remove NUllCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext from the Cham folder and reboot and then install the Combo Updater? Then re-install the NUllCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext and reboot?

Thanks!

Do I remove NUllCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext from the Cham folder and reboot and then install the Combo Updater? Then re-install the NUllCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext and reboot?

Thanks!

Hi Johnny V :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's right, as long as you remove the SleepEnabler.kext from /E/E before rebooting then you should be just fine. But you will want to replace SleepEnabler with the new version for 10.6.4 from here.

Have you tried running without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext? It will make you life so much easier when it comes to updates?... Yes your CPU will run hotter but you could go on and explore adding your CPU data in to DSDT for stepping... Since I did it, I've never looked back.. :D

Let me thank you so much for this guide that made me built the system in 45 mins. (approx.) As opposed to 2 weeks last August :D.

The only 2 things that I have a problem with are the Audio and Firewire (As long as I am concerned)

Thanks

Well done with your build bluesyblues. For specifics for your boards, the easiest option would be look at a guide for your board for specific details and apply them to your install.

@ Blackosx : Yep... i'll stay with my strings but will search for a dsdt solution if that's possible

somehow.

Thanks for helping me :rolleyes:

The only 2 things that I have a problem with are the Audio and Firewire (As long as I am concerned) I am using the the MoBo EP45-UD3R and the Audio device that comes with it is the ALC889a not 888. And for the firewire I have no idea. But they used to work fine on the older system that I had 10.6.1

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks

The dsdt.aml provided from Blackosx has no firewire on it. So for FW you have to search the internet for one that suits your board. And please don't forget to check for the necessary fixes to

be applied, like cmos & PWRB etc...

That's what i did !

My dsdt.aml is sure completely overloaded with unusefull stuff and not as clean as i it could be but i'm just starting to wipe out things i don't need. Means lot of reading the threads & try out , but that's the way i learn best!

For your ALC889a onboard audio i recommand you look out for Tomgkols thread here on the insanelymac forum. I digested his thread for 2 weeks, but finally i got it working.

The dsdt.aml provided from Blackosx has no firewire on it.

That's correct. The GA-EP45-DS3L doesn't have onboard firewire so that's why there's nothing about it in the DSDT. Though I have added an old PCI firewire 400 card in my hack and it's recognised by the system just fine allowing me to connect an external firewire HDD.

Hi Johnny V :)

Yeah, that's right, as long as you remove the SleepEnabler.kext from /E/E before rebooting then you should be just fine. But you will want to replace SleepEnabler with the new version for 10.6.4 from here.

Have you tried running without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext? It will make you life so much easier when it comes to updates?... Yes your CPU will run hotter but you could go on and explore adding your CPU data in to DSDT for stepping... Since I did it, I've never looked back.. :D

Thanks blackosx for remembering the issue I had with the last update regarding the two kexts! I'm up and running 10.6.4 now! Yippie!

I have to re-explore Stepping via the DSDT as I had issues with it in the past. But I think I now know where I messed up (voodomonitor in the wrong folder). Would rather not have to rely on a rewritten SleepEnabler.kext for each OS update so Stepping will be my next project.

Thanks again for your help!

John

I've got a question regarding DVD/CD-RWs and burning CDs/DVDs which I can't seem to find information about on the forum. Basically, I've got a Sony Optiarc DVD-RW S-ATA which I can't get to burn any CDs or DVDs. I've not currently got my hackintosh running but was wondering if anyone else had the same issue? I was thinking of buying a Pioneer drive as I'm sure the IDE Pioneer drive I had worked fine.

Any help greatly appreciated ;)

Please Note: Revised 10.6.4 AppleHDA.kext posted in post number 2928.

Sorry for any inconvenience but the first one I posted didn't include all the changes.. oops.

I've got a Sony Optiarc DVD-RW S-ATA which I can't get to burn any CDs or DVDs. I've not currently got my hackintosh running but was wondering if anyone else had the same issue? I was thinking of buying a Pioneer drive as I'm sure the IDE Pioneer drive I had worked fine.

Hi BeatMaster

I have a SATA PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D and it's been great for me. I haven't used any other with my hack so can't really comment, but I recommend using SATA.

I have Gigabyte GA-EP43T-UD3L and this guide work great for me.

The only thing is that I cannot make FRONT mic+headphone work ( ALC888 ) even I selected different output options. Only output audio at the end of the mobo works

As mentioned this is common NOT to have the Front mic/headphone working on many different model Gigabyte boards. My board has the same issue, front does not work but rear mic/headphones work fine. To make my life easy I'm using a USB mic/headphone set and it works great. I don't have to mess around with those silly plugs that are way in back of the computer case.

As mentioned this is common NOT to have the Front mic/headphone working on many different model Gigabyte boards. My board has the same issue, front does not work but rear mic/headphones work fine. To make my life easy I'm using a USB mic/headphone set and it works great. I don't have to mess around with those silly plugs that are way in back of the computer case.

Regarding USB headsets:

If anyone is interested NewEgg here in the USA is selling USB Plantronics GAMECOMPRO1 Circumaural Gaming Stereo Headset for $20.00 after promo code EMCYTZT22 is applied during checkout. I have a different model Plantronics and very, very happy with the performance of it.