[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

^^^ oh god yes, great advice. Every time I install Windows, I unplug my Mac OS HDD, good practice if you have 2 separate drives =P

So I'm reading all about the new developments, and glad to see some great stuff! I was thinking about tweaking my setup.

I currently have Cham 2 RC3, and still running along fine with these kexts: NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID, and SleepEnabler. I think these are the main kexts that people are cutting down on, I was wondering if I should just go for it.

From all your updated news, it seems like Asere's Cham mod is the way to go. I understand it removes the need for the PlatformUUID.kext and grab the UUID from the BIOS. I assume it will grab a different one than from what I am using, and that I'd have to agree to the iTunes license agreement again haha, not an issue, but what about TimeMachine? It won't affect that will it? Will it not associate my TM backup with this sytem, because of a diff UUID? Or will it all be fine because it all just depends on the on-board Ethernet that's enabled though dsdt. I'm half thinking I've answered my own question here =P.

Secondly, Asere's mod also includes a RestartFix, so do I have to handle Shutdown separately if I want to remove OpenHaltRestart.kext? I also don't know how SleepEnabler.kext fits into this, can I too get rid of it via another dsdt hack or cham mod?

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, for me to remove it, I need to setup C and P states in dsdt right? So that I may have speedstep. Do temps still go up with enabling speedstep? Or is there now a work around for that? I've never used SpeedStep, last time I tried it, I would notice the delay when the cpu would clock up, it was a bit annoying so I disabled it. This was on Win7, is Mac OS X better about this?

This leads me to my last point, with all these improvements, are people seeing a noticeable difference in boot times, shutdown/restart times? or any other kind of performance increases? heh. Curious as there is a significant cut down in kexts, and Asere's Cham mod looks very well tweaked.

Thanks for gathering all this news and info and keeping this thread rich with content, and thanks for reading all this haha, here's a preview of my theme I'm tweaking to upload to the Cham forums:

screenshot20100204at343.png

^^^ oh god yes, great advice. Every time I install Windows, I unplug my Mac OS HDD, good practice if you have 2 separate drives =P

So I'm reading all about the new developments, and glad to see some great stuff! I was thinking about tweaking my setup.

I currently have Cham 2 RC3, and still running along fine with these kexts: NullCPUPowerManagement, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID, and SleepEnabler. I think these are the main kexts that people are cutting down on, I was wondering if I should just go for it.

From all your updated news, it seems like Asere's Cham mod is the way to go. I understand it removes the need for the PlatformUUID.kext and grab the UUID from the BIOS. I assume it will grab a different one than from what I am using, and that I'd have to agree to the iTunes license agreement again haha, not an issue, but what about TimeMachine? It won't affect that will it? Will it not associate my TM backup with this sytem, because of a diff UUID? Or will it all be fine because it all just depends on the on-board Ethernet that's enabled though dsdt. I'm half thinking I've answered my own question here =P.

Secondly, Asere's mod also includes a RestartFix, so do I have to handle Shutdown separately if I want to remove OpenHaltRestart.kext? I also don't know how SleepEnabler.kext fits into this, can I too get rid of it via another dsdt hack or cham mod?

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, for me to remove it, I need to setup C and P states in dsdt right? So that I may have speedstep. Do temps still go up with enabling speedstep? Or is there now a work around for that? I've never used SpeedStep, last time I tried it, I would notice the delay when the cpu would clock up, it was a bit annoying so I disabled it. This was on Win7, is Mac OS X better about this?

This leads me to my last point, with all these improvements, are people seeing a noticeable difference in boot times, shutdown/restart times? or any other kind of performance increases? heh. Curious as there is a significant cut down in kexts, and Asere's Cham mod looks very well tweaked.

Thanks for gathering all this news and info and keeping this thread rich with content, and thanks for reading all this haha, here's a preview of my theme I'm tweaking to upload to the Cham forums:

Hi EnzoFX

Yes, there have been many changes in the last month and I have hopefully put most of the info in the revised PDF guides, apart from the very latest stuff. You might want to try out the latest version of Chameleon as a team of coders has been working on it at the Chameleon repo and it's currently at RC5 prerelease v8. If you decide to try it out then when you uncompress the download, you'll find a 'sym' folder, and inside that will be the boot0, boot1h and boot files you need. I recommend using the fdisk from inside the i386 folder in the original Chameleon RC4 r684 download from the chameleon website. Then follow the install instructions I put in section A of 'Part 3 - Install Chameleon' PDF.

It has everything that Asere's modified RC4 file gives plus more, except the SMBIOS memory injection code. And for shutdown you will need the latest DSDT for the GA-EP45-DS3L on the front page of this thread, which includes mm67's fix.

The new bootloaders will give you a different UUID so yes iTunes will be affected, though I don't know about Time Machine as I don't use it.

I have been using the vanilla speedstep for a while now and it's great. You shouldn't notice any delay while stepping as it's all down to the latency values you give it.

Boot times might be slightly faster but it all depends on what you're using no your system. Try it out and see how you get on.

I like your theme, good work :)

Yes EnzoFX, I really like your theme as well. Only to be honest I would like it more just extra simple without that big text on top. Just those nice colored logos and progress bar would be absolutely awesome :)

You did say before that Windows7 booted straightaway and now it won't boot because you have changed only the drive order in BIOS?

I have had that before when messing with installing Windows7 on a different partition the same HDD, and I solved that by making sure there was only one HDD plugged in to the motherboard and re-installed Windows7 on the remaining single drive. Having more than one HDD connected confused the Windows installer and it created the bootBCD of the wrong disk, so only having a single HDD will sort it.

There's probably a straightforward method to fix that but it's Windows specifc and I don't know what it could be. Best best is to google an answer or re-install using a single drive connected as above.

Fixed the booting issue. Not sure how.

Is there a way to change the resolution of my 9800GT 1G. I tried using Ox86Tools and it caused another problem...I get the blue screen after boot, when I press the power button it looks like the system is turning off. I press it again and OSX opens up with the new resolution. Every time I start the system I have to do this. What should I have done? I've done a lot of reading, but once again I don't understand what I'm looking at. Can it be fixed, or do I have to reinstall (again).

Is there a way to change the resolution of my 9800GT 1G. I tried using Ox86Tools and it caused another problem...I get the blue screen after boot, when I press the power button it looks like the system is turning off. I press it again and OSX opens up with the new resolution. Every time I start the system I have to do this. What should I have done? I've done a lot of reading, but once again I don't understand what I'm looking at. Can it be fixed, or do I have to reinstall (again).

Are you using OSX86Tools to try and create a device (EFI) string to add to your com.apple.Boot.plist?

What happened when you first installed your system using my guide and added the com.apple.Boot.plist from my Support Files? I ask because that has the GraphicsEnabler boot option which should work for your card. You shouldn't have to re-install your retail Snow Leopard system as you wouldn't have touched it.

What happens to your video when you boot from the BootCD?

Are you using OSX86Tools to try and create a device (EFI) string to add to your com.apple.Boot.plist?

What happened when you first installed your system using my guide and added the com.apple.Boot.plist from my Support Files? I ask because that has the GraphicsEnabler boot option which should work for your card. You shouldn't have to re-install your retail Snow Leopard system as you wouldn't have touched it.

What happens to your video when you boot from the BootCD?

When I installed and looked at preferences, there was only one choice for resolution. I looked online for a solution (which seems to be many) and decided to try OSX86Tools. I selected "Enable/Disable Quartz GL", now I can select resolution in preferences. When I do, the system jumps to the blue screen. Then I press the power button, the system looks like it turned off. Pressed the power button again and the resolution I selected is displayed. Also, I have to go through this now on every reboot.

When I installed and looked at preferences, there was only one choice for resolution

In that case, I guess the GraphicsEnabler option didn't work for you and Quartz Extreme and Core Image (QE and CI) weren't activated. Did you try changing the pciroot option?

I looked online for a solution (which seems to be many) and decided to try OSX86Tools.

If you want to follow this guide, then I recommend sticking with it and learning from here. If you go off and find an answer from another thread without understanding exactly what you're doing you will get yourself in a mess. OSX86Tools hasn't been updated for a long time now and I haven't used it since 10.5.x and I don't recommend using it on Snow Leopard.

I selected "Enable/Disable Quartz GL", now I can select resolution in preferences. When I do, the system jumps to the blue screen. Then I press the power button, the system looks like it turned off. Pressed the power button again and the resolution I selected is displayed. Also, I have to go through this now on every reboot.

I don't know what you changed on your system by selecting that option, but it seems to have confused it somehow. See if you can find out what changed then try and undo it. Then we'll have a look at a different option.

In that case, I guess the GraphicsEnabler option didn't work for you and Quartz Extreme and Core Image (QE and CI) weren't activated. Did you try changing the pciroot option?

If you want to follow this guide, then I recommend sticking with it and learning from here. If you go off and find an answer from another thread without understanding exactly what you're doing you will get yourself in a mess. OSX86Tools hasn't been updated for a long time now and I haven't used it since 10.5.x and I don't recommend using it on Snow Leopard.

I don't know what you changed on your system by selecting that option, but it seems to have confused it somehow. See if you can find out what changed then try and undo it. Then we'll have a look at a different option.

<key>PciRoot</key> <string>1</string> Should I try 0 ?

I have no idea what OSX86Tools changed. It was a selectable icon. I tried using it again, this time I get an applescript error. I want QE and CI working somehow. Should I have been able to change the resolution on my system from the files provided on BootCD or updated files? If need be, I'll reinstall everything.

I'll stay away from installing things I don't understand.

<key>PciRoot</key> <string>1</string> Should I try 0 ?

Changing the PCiRoot might help you, but if not you can try using a device (EFI) string or injecting your video card details in to DSDT.

I have no idea what OSX86Tools changed. It was a selectable icon. I tried using it again, this time I get an applescript error.

I have done a quick search for you and I found this post from pcwiz what might throw some light on what's happened?

I want QE and CI working somehow. Should I have been able to change the resolution on my system from the files provided on BootCD or updated files? If need be, I'll reinstall everything.

You should be able to have QE/CI but by using one of the two methods I mentioned in reply #1. If your video card wasn't recognised properly to start with then maybe you would only see one resolution available without the option to select a different resolution. The BootCD I supply isn't a fix all solution, it is a tool to get you up an running. From there you can then build on and tweak your system for your hardware.

I'll stay away from installing things I don't understand.

Yes, that's a very good rule to stick to. Always read and try to understand anything you do before doing it, as until you have a knowledge of how everything works on your hack, you can easily break it with a wrong move!

A couple of people have asked about firewire cards. I use the Startech PEX1394B3 (2 400 and 1 800 ports) and there is also the SIIG LP-N21011-S8 which has 3 Firewire 400 ports, 2 external and 1 internal.

My Startech card works flawlessly. I disabled firewire in my bios and use the external connection for my iSight webcam.

A couple of people have asked about firewire cards. I use the Startech PEX1394B3 (2 400 and 1 800 ports) and there is also the SIIG LP-N21011-S8 which has 3 Firewire 400 ports, 2 external and 1 internal.

Thanks for the useful post bigpoppa206.

If anybody wants to try out the latest developments with Chameleon then there is a new installer out today by Dr. Hurt which will install the latest Chameleon RC5 pre-release v8, and the Chameleon RC4 pref pane on to your system. This latest installer will also not destroy any existing Windows code in the MBR which is great for dual booting on a single HDD and allow Windows7 to remain on the active partition, allowing it to enter sleep.

I haven't run it myself yet but it should allow you to select your Cham partition to install to.

You can get it from here.

This is a pre-release and so, likely to change, so only use it at your own risk and are comfortable with what you're doing.

EDIT: I have now had a chance to trial the installer and I can confirm it works great. See my post here.

Hi, Blackosx.

It's a long time since I last modified my system. I think my last 'innovation' was Asere's modified RC4 boot loader.

I've been busy lately. Actualy, I haven't found time to read your posts and threads in the last two weeks.

You've said you haven't tested RC5 yet and that it includes Asere's fixes except SMBIOS memory data injection. Is that right? So if I decide to use RC5 I'll have to switch back to my previous SMBIOS.plist.

By the way, is there any other thing you discovered or read recently (since your last DSDT v5) that you can recommend?

Best regards,

Jamonda

You've said you haven't tested RC5 yet and that it includes Asere's fixes except SMBIOS memory data injection. Is that right?

I have been trialling every pre-lease of Chameleon RC5, what I meant was I haven't actually tried Dr. Hurt's latest installer. Yes, it includes what was included in Asere's (except the SMBIOS memory injection), plus revised code and new features. I don't have a list of everything included and if anybody wants to find out then they can read through this thread, especially the most recent posts in the last two weeks or so.

So if I decide to use RC5 I'll have to switch back to my previous SMBIOS.plist.

Good question and yes, with this current preview of RC5, if you want your memory to be properly reported then you will have to go back to having your memory details in the SMBIOS.plist.

I won't include RC5 in my guides until it's officially released, this is just a preview which works very well and I thought I would make everyone aware of what's going on in the scene. Chameleon RC5 might well go through a few more revisions before it's released officially.

By the way, is there any other thing you discovered or read recently (since your last DSDT v5) that you can recommend?

No. I haven't looked in to DSDT for a while now.

Changing the PCiRoot might help you, but if not you can try using a device (EFI) string or injecting your video card details in to DSDT.

I have done a quick search for you and I found this post from pcwiz what might throw some light on what's happened?

You should be able to have QE/CI but by using one of the two methods I mentioned in reply #1. If your video card wasn't recognised properly to start with then maybe you would only see one resolution available without the option to select a different resolution. The BootCD I supply isn't a fix all solution, it is a tool to get you up an running. From there you can then build on and tweak your system for your hardware.

Yes, that's a very good rule to stick to. Always read and try to understand anything you do before doing it, as until you have a knowledge of how everything works on your hack, you can easily break it with a wrong move!

I changed PCiRoot and nothing happened. Checked your link - no longer supported or developed. System began acting funny (probably because of all the stuff I was doing) so I did a fresh install.

This time there was more resolution choices, so I changed the resolution. I get the blue screen still. When I press the power button it looks like the system has turned off. If I press the power button or hit enter on the keyboard OSX opens up (it didn't reboot) I'm presented with the new resolution. System info shows my video card with the correct ram size. I rebooted the system and OSX came to the blue screen, so I hit the power button and the return key. OSX is there with the previously selected resolution. I did a few tests and QE/CI seems to be functioning.

If I do video injection, will that correct the power button/keyboard issue?

I changed PCiRoot and nothing happened. Checked your link - no longer supported or developed. System began acting funny (probably because of all the stuff I was doing) so I did a fresh install.

This time there was more resolution choices, so I changed the resolution. I get the blue screen still. When I press the power button it looks like the system has turned off. If I press the power button or hit enter on the keyboard OSX opens up (it didn't reboot) I'm presented with the new resolution. System info shows my video card with the correct ram size. I rebooted the system and OSX came to the blue screen, so I hit the power button and the return key. OSX is there with the previously selected resolution. I did a few tests and QE/CI seems to be functioning.

I did some research, and this site seems to be having a lot of success with string injection. Will I have to make any changes to my current installation before exploring this option?

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?boa...&thread=509

....so I did a fresh install.

This time there was more resolution choices,

Great

so I changed the resolution. I get the blue screen still

I don't know why that is...

If I press the power button or hit enter on the keyboard OSX opens up (it didn't reboot) I'm presented with the new resolution. System info shows my video card with the correct ram size.

Power button on the PC? or the screen?

I rebooted the system and OSX came to the blue screen, so I hit the power button and the return key. OSX is there with the previously selected resolution.

I don't know why.

I did a few tests and QE/CI seems to be functioning.

That's good.

If QE/CI is functioning then you already have video injection.

Are you using the GraphicsEnabler=Y boot option?

Great

I don't know why that is...

Power button on the PC? or the screen?

I don't know why.

That's good.

If QE/CI is functioning then you already have video injection.

Are you using the GraphicsEnabler=Y boot option?

Yes. power button on the PC.

If you mean: com.apple.boot.plist, then yes it is enabled.

I also set the PCiRoot to "0"...nothing changed, so I set it back to "1".

Yes. power button on the PC.

If you mean: com.apple.boot.plist, then yes it is enabled.

I also set the PCiRoot to "0"...nothing changed, so I set it back to "1".

Pressing the power button on your system case will put the computer to sleep.

What tests have to done to confirm QE/CI is working? as one test is to go to dashboard, click the + symbol and drag a gadget on to the desktop, if you see water effect ripples then it's working.

Does this problem with the blue screen happen will all resolutions you select, or just one particular one?

EDIT: I am off out this evening, so I won't be around for a few hours.

Pressing the power button on your system case will put the computer to sleep.

What tests have to done to confirm QE/CI is working? as one test is to go to dashboard, click the + symbol and drag a gadget on to the desktop, if you see water effect ripples then it's working.

Does this problem with the blue screen happen will all resolutions you select, or just one particular one?

EDIT: I am off out this evening, so I won't be around for a few hours.

Did the ripple test, chess test and front row test...all worked.

blue screen occurs with all resolutions.

^^ about the Win7 sleep fix, does the pre-release RC5 completely fix the issue? or do I have to still apply your linked fix blackosx, even after updating Chameleon?

ZoZat, I haven't been following the issue, but do you get a blue screen only when changing res or bootup? I had a similar issue, and I've traced it to the fact that the computer is using a DVI->HDMI cable. The monitor only has HDMI/VGA so I have yet to find a better fix for it. I am in the slow process of trying different graphics enablers, but it could be an issue as to how Snow handles TV output, I don't know =P. When it boots up, there are times when the screen stays on the blue bootup screen, and all I have to do is turn the monitor off and on, and the desktop is there.

Hi blackosx,

I like your sig and would like to use it for mine.

Do you mind if I make a copy of it (sig_graphic.png) and make the necessary changes to reflect mine for my sig..

What app do I have to use to edit the png file and make a change to the background color?

TQ & have a nice day.

^^ about the Win7 sleep fix, does the pre-release RC5 completely fix the issue? or do I have to still apply your linked fix blackosx, even after updating Chameleon?

Hi EnzoFX

The sleep fix for Windows7 is all about allowing Windows7 to be on the Active partition. The current pre-release RC5 of Chameleon doesn't support it at the moment but it will soon, that's why you need the modified boot0 file which just allows it to search for Chameleon when it's not installed on the active partition.

ZoZat, I haven't been following the issue, but do you get a blue screen only when changing res or bootup? I had a similar issue, and I've traced it to the fact that the computer is using a DVI->HDMI cable. The monitor only has HDMI/VGA so I have yet to find a better fix for it. I am in the slow process of trying different graphics enablers, but it could be an issue as to how Snow handles TV output, I don't know =P. When it boots up, there are times when the screen stays on the blue bootup screen, and all I have to do is turn the monitor off and on, and the desktop is there.

Good thinking EnzoFX, or maybe ZoZat can try plugging the video cable in to the other DVI output on the video card?

Hi blackosx,

I like your sig and would like to use it for mine.

Do you mind if I make a copy of it (sig_graphic.png) and make the necessary changes to reflect mine for my sig..

What app do I have to use to edit the png file and make a change to the background color?

TQ & have a nice day.

I use Photoshop for mine and yes you can change it for yourself as long as you do as you say and change the colour so it looks different. I can supply you the PSD file of you want?