[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

The Support Files includes a pre-release version of Chameleon RC5 - Build number 112.

The offical Chameleon release is still RC4 r684. The reason I included a pre-release version of RC5 was to try and stop the confusion from the different bootloaders that were appearing, as that pre-release version includes most, if not all, the features of the other bootloaders.

But to answer your question, the current build of the trunk of RC5 is at v139

Thanks again BlackOSX...now to figure out how to compile it :blink:

Prior to that screen I get the following messages:

Boot0: GPT

Boot0: testing

Boot0: testing

Boot0: done

Does this mean that the Cham partition is not correct on the external drive

or do I have to change something on the Cham partition so that it boots.

Does CCC copy everything from the Cham partition?

snifferpro - CCC won't copy the all the installed Chameleon files.

When it stops at Boot0:done, I think it means it can't find the stage 1 boot file: boot1h.

Try re-installing it boot1h as shown in 'Part 3' PDF.

Also, the only times I see the memory allocation error is when I have been messing around with themes.

I am wanting to remove the the onboard audio from dsdt, and also removing the LegacyHDA kext (Don't use onboard at all anymore). Kinda hoping to speed up my boot time in the process, but mainly doing it so as to not have to deal with onboard audio anymore.

Hi EnzoFX - It would be simpler to just disable the on-board Audio in BIOS.

Thanks again BlackOSX...now to figure out how to compile it :blink:

Well for that, you will need to install Apple's XCode developer tools. Then you can use the 'make' command to compile the downloaded files.

Thanks for this incredible guide!!

2 questions for you..

1 - Where can I found how to make a backup installation. Can I just make a disk image or something like that or do I have to install SL the long way ?

2 - In few words, can you tell me what I'd have to do if I would like to use chameleon (on my CHAM 1GB partition) to boot OSX and WIN7 on separated hard drives?

I use "superDuper" to make a disk copy from one partition to the other. When finished. Reinstall Chamleon on the new copy. Thats it. (2) is very well explained in the pdf guide of this forum.

My Sleep first broke after updating to 10.6.2, after that I installed the custom BIOS hoping it would fix my sleep. So now I tried a new clean install of 10.6.... still no good.

Okay, so I'm running

EP45-DS3L (Cartri's custom BIOS)

C2D E8400

4GB RAM

500GB SATA HDD

Cham RC3

I just installed a fresh 10.6. In my E/E i have kexts from your tutorial

LegacyHDA.kext

SleepEnabler.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

fakesmc.kext

OrangeIconFix.kext

and even still, Sleep and Restart do not work. I tried removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext but no difference. I tried with and without the DSDT.aml from your tutorial.

Any ideas why sleep doesn't work?

I also tried Cham RC5, but when I try booting it says "can't find mach_kernel", even though kernel is there and is in fact called mach_kernel, and RC3 boots it with no problem.

I just now updated the new 10.6 install to 10.6.3 via combo install, and still the same. Everything works perfectly except Sleep and Restart.

I'm loosing my hair here :/

Any help?

Hi QuadMachine

Generally, sleep not working can probably be related to some hardware/peripheral. Though as you said it was already working before the update, then unless you have added/changed hardware, it must be software based. The only reason I can think of for sleep to stop working after an update to 10.6.2, if you haven't changed any hardware, would be to check you updated to the 10.6.2 version of SleepEnabler if you were using it?

But changing the BIOS to fix a sleep issue does seem a bit drastic and using Cartri's BIOS changes things as this thread and the PDF guide's here are meant for using an original Gigabyte BIOS.

When using Cartri's BIOS 0.7m for GA-EP45-DS3L, restart should work just great and out of interest, press the power button on the case and see if it sleeps as that was implemented also. (though it could be stopped by mis-behaving hardware as described above)

Also, when using Cartri's BIOS I recommend running without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext, and adding Superhai's VoodooPowerMini.kext in to /S/L/E. You do not want to use a separate DSDT.aml and it is also recommended to use Chameleon v2 RC4.

Hi QuadMachine

Generally, sleep not working can probably be related to some hardware/peripheral. Though as you said it was already working before the update, then unless you have added/changed hardware, it must be software based. The only reason I can think of for sleep to stop working after an update to 10.6.2, if you haven't changed any hardware, would be to check you updated to the 10.6.2 version of SleepEnabler if you were using it?

But changing the BIOS to fix a sleep issue does seem a bit drastic and using Cartri's BIOS changes things as this thread and the PDF guide's here are meant for using an original Gigabyte BIOS.

When using Cartri's BIOS 0.7m for GA-EP45-DS3L, restart should work just great and out of interest, press the power button on the case and see if it sleeps as that was implemented also. (though it could be stopped by mis-behaving hardware as described above)

Also, when using Cartri's BIOS I recommend running without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext, and adding Superhai's VoodooPowerMini.kext in to /S/L/E. You do not want to use a separate DSDT.aml and it is also recommended to use Chameleon v2 RC4.

There were no hardware changes, but just in any case I tried different mouse/keyboard set just now, no good. I also unplugged all other USB peripherals...

I tried removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and SleepEnabler.kext now also the DSDT, and have addedd VoodooPowerMini.kext in to /S/L/E. Still not working...

I will attempt to update Cham to RC4, and see if it makes a difference. But the last time I tried Cham newer than RC3 I got "can't find mach_kernel" error. RC4 and RC5 show me tha same error.

If that also fails (and I have a good feeling it will) I will restore my original Gigabyte BIOS and then try again from the top.

Thanks for your advice so far.

Cheers.

PS

I updated to 10.6.2 following the guide from Netkas, including the 10.6.2 version of SleepEnabler.kext, but since that update Sleep and Restart are broken.

Okay, I'm making progress. I just connected my OSX hard drive to a different channel (cable) on the MBO and now Cham RC4 works. It seems to access higher numbered disks first (I have SATA2_0 to SATA2_6).

So now that works, and Sleep works, but only once! I put the computer to Sleep, wake it up and after that if I try to Sleep again it halts... Restart is still broken completely....

Hi all. I've followed this guide and have a 10.6.2 Mac using DSDT on the GA-EP45-DS3L. I used to have my firewire card work under 10.5.7 but haven't tried it since updating to 10.6 a while ago. It is not working now and system profiler says No Firewire ports were found. Is there a kext I need or is there a BIOS setting to change to allow for it. The two PCI slots are filled. The farthest one from the CPU has a network card. The closer one to the CPU is the firewire card. The card I am using is: hxxp://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-VIA-FW1E1H-FireWire-9-pin-Header/dp/B00076QVM8 and again this exact computer had firewire working under 10.5.7. I would greatly appreciate any advice as I want to capture the school musical video. Chameleon Extra folder is com.apple.Boot.plist, dsdt.aml, SMBIOS.plist. The Extensions folder has fakesmc.kext, LegacyHDA.kext, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext, OrangeIconFix.kext, OSXRestart.kext, SleepEnabler.kext.

Thank you very much in advance for any and all assistance.

So adobe released 10.1 flash with hardware acceleration for mac.

Thanks for the post keypox. I will have a look when I get some time.

Okay, I'm making progress. I just connected my OSX hard drive to a different channel (cable) on the MBO and now Cham RC4 works. It seems to access higher numbered disks first (I have SATA2_0 to SATA2_6).

So now that works, and Sleep works, but only once! I put the computer to Sleep, wake it up and after that if I try to Sleep again it halts... Restart is still broken completely....

I see progress but why you can't get sleep to work more than once is very stange, and for restart too. You're definitely using Cartri's BIOS v0.7m and not v0.7h?

I used to have my firewire card work under 10.5.7 but haven't tried it since updating to 10.6 a while ago. It is not working now and system profiler says No Firewire ports were found. Is there a kext I need or is there a BIOS setting to change to allow for it. The two PCI slots are filled. The farthest one from the CPU has a network card. The closer one to the CPU is the firewire card.

Maybe just try your firewire card in the slot that your Network card is in?

I have an old Adaptec Firewire card in my hack and it works just great.

post-331032-1272611785_thumb.png

Thanks Black, didn't think simply disabling onboard sound in BIOS would be enough, but I immediately noticed a difference in boot up time. It got up to 28ish throbber spins? =P, now it's down to 21.

You're welcome :(

I'm having problems with my SATA DVD burner: essentially, I cannot burn to DVDs. It always hangs early (2%-10%) at the verification part. After that, checking the Disc Burning section in System Profiler, no burner is found.

My system is running 10.6.2 using this guide (DSDT), initially with the F8 bios but I upgraded to F11c to see if that would help (no joy)

What's puzzling is that I can successfully burn CDs, and I've tried with 2 different DVD burners (a Samsung and an LG)... I've also only tried a few times, but I can play DVDs successfully as well.

Any ideas where to look ?

I'm having problems with my SATA DVD burner: essentially, I cannot burn to DVDs. It always hangs early (2%-10%) at the verification part. After that, checking the Disc Burning section in System Profiler, no burner is found.

My system is running 10.6.2 using this guide (DSDT), initially with the F8 bios but I upgraded to F11c to see if that would help (no joy)

What's puzzling is that I can successfully burn CDs, and I've tried with 2 different DVD burners (a Samsung and an LG)... I've also only tried a few times, but I can play DVDs successfully as well.

Any ideas where to look ?

Could it be the media? Have you tried a different maker of DVD disks? What was the burn speed? Try a slower burn speed?

Could it be the media? Have you tried a different maker of DVD disks? What was the burn speed? Try a slower burn speed?

Thanks Johnny - I've tried 2 different media brands, but have not tried slower speed. However, if it was media or speed, it seems to me it would not hang - the verification window stays on until I reboot, and the burner would not disappear from the Disc burning section of Profiler.

Thanks Johnny - I've tried 2 different media brands, but have not tried slower speed. However, if it was media or speed, it seems to me it would not hang - the verification window stays on until I reboot, and the burner would not disappear from the Disc burning section of Profiler.

True about burner not showing in Profiler. Well it's worth a shot to burn at slower speed... try x4.

I see progress but why you can't get sleep to work more than once is very stange, and for restart too. You're definitely using Cartri's BIOS v0.7m and not v0.7h?

I have abandoned Cartri's BIOS, I'm back on the original Gigabyte F10 (like the one you use in your tutorial). I did a clean install once again, and updated to 10.6.3 immediately.

Now I have Restart working OK, only Sleep remains broken.

I followed your tutorial STEP BY STEP, and have used your DSDT.aml... I will try to make my own now and see if it makes any difference.

Thanks for your patience so far ;)

Cheers!

Before I switched to using Cartri's BIOS, I was using the Gigabyte BIOS F11c with the DSDT.aml posted in the Support Files in this thread. You shouldn't need to make your own DSDT as this one works just fine.

I still think you have some hardware that is stopping sleep from functioning, especially as you now have a fresh installation. But unfortunately I can't tell you what, as every hack is different, even if built with almost identical hardware.

As Blackosx mentioned "@Tanya bl - EP45T-DS3 uses ALC889a - You need to read another thread."

Here's my ALC889a DSDT code:

Your board might need a little different code... but it could be a good start.

Also attached is my DSDT. Might want to install it and give it a shot.

Also attached are the LegecyHDA889a. Pick one and see if it works.

This is exactly what I did. Really at this point I am hoping everyone has taken the time to learn how to do their own DSDT files. It took me a week to get it down but now I can create my own in no time flat. BlackOSX has already given all of you the link to his own thread (first post) that has all the tools you need as well as to other useful threads for our Gigabyte boards. Start with the CMOS fix, then builtin USB as well as this audio code. Hell I even have the orange icon fix in there now since my ultimate goal is to use the least number of kexts that I need.

Here's the situation. I have a working SL 10.6.3 on a 500gb hard drive that has been working since SL was released. I have partitioned my hard drive as follows;

Cham - 1gb

SnowLeopard - 166gb

Data - 166gb

Backup - The remaining

I can boot using Cham and press a key to get a selection screen to see all my boot partitions and I can select and boot from my Backup partition.

However, should my hard drive fail, how can I boot to my backup partition? The backup partiton is good for testing updatesand such, but on drive failure, the backup partition is useless.

So I thought I'd get a second hard drive and make it look exactly like my working drive. I formatted it the exact same way using this guide and then created the Cham partition using this guide. I omitted the mkdir step as I figured I could copy my working Extra folder to the new Cham partition.

I then used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my working SL partition to my new drive. So now I have a Cham partition and SL partition on my new drive. I figured now I'm set I have a true backup of my working hard drive.

I reboot my machine and all I get is a flashing cursor. I never see the few short boot messsages before Cham starts - just the flashing cursor. I have attempted to rebuild the Cham partition on my second drive at least 5 times and I always get the same result. I can however boot to the SL partition on my second drive if I use my first drives Cham.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

OK, after having a stable install for months, I'v finally borked it good.

Started messing around with different audio kexts and got into such a mess of kernel panics that I decided to save everything and start fresh ... no big deal right?

Problem is, none of the boot132 CDs or USB drive backup chameleon will load.

They start, then end at "No ramdisk config. Mounting: Done"

For the life of me I can't figure out what's up. I didn't change any BIOS settings.

So now, I can't even get to chameleon to load the SL DVD.

P35-DS3L

E8400

9800 GT

Jubal81 and others.

After trying many different things to get my Cham partition on my backup drive to boot I went back to the Support Files For SL Instalk V1.6 and ran Chameleon-2.0-rc2-r640 against my backup drives Cham partition.

I then followed the read me in the Chameleon RC3 boot file folder and in essence copied the boot file from there to my backup drives Cham partition using terminal as per instructions.

Rebooted my machine, selected my backup drive to boot from and Cham started and booted into my backup SL.

Hope this helps others who are having a problem with the support files in V1.3.3

I now have 2 SL hard drives so that if 1 fails I can pop in my backup and be back up and running within minutes. I don't have to go through the process to build a new hack if my primary hard drive fails, I still have the backup partitions on each drive also so that I can do testing without gumming up my primary install.

Jubal81 and others.

After trying many different things to get my Cham partition on my backup drive to boot I went back to the Support Files For SL Instalk V1.6 and ran Chameleon-2.0-rc2-r640 against my backup drives Cham partition.

I then followed the read me in the Chameleon RC3 boot file folder and in essence copied the boot file from there to my backup drives Cham partition using terminal as per instructions.

Rebooted my machine, selected my backup drive to boot from and Cham started and booted into my backup SL.

Tried it and no go ...

I've been running OSX for 3 years and I've never been this stumped before. I CANNOT get any form of chameleon (bootCD/USB drive) to load. Same with Empire EFI.

No ramdisk config ...

Mounting: done

then nothing. just hangs

Short of buying a new motherboard, I can't think of anything else to try.

P35-DS3L

E8400

9800 GT

Jubal81.

Are these the files you used to create your Cham partition?

You also try the ones in the second attachment.

Thanks for the response. do you think instead of trying the boot cd, I should create a chameleon partition on the hard drive and try to use that to boot the SL install DVD?

Never heard of anyone doing it that way.