[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Yes, remember I asked the same question, somewhere in the last 10 pages (fairly recent.) You posted a link with instructions from someone else, I just never got it to work for me. Well, the second drive was bootable, not the first. But then the transfer speeds were slow compared to SCSI so I gave up.

Here is the link to landmark's directions.

Thanks BlackOSX and BigPoppa206,

I recommend the High-Point Tech RocketRAID cards highly for anyone looking for a RAID card that you can actually boot from because High-point provides OS X drivers! Drivers aren't provided for ALL of their cards, so make sure to get one that does.

Using these cards, no tricky commands or setup is required at all. You install the card, configure your arrays, then follow BlackOSX's guides to a "T" to get setup. Mac OS X actually comes with some default RR drivers, so you don't even need them for the install (but I update to the newest drivers after the install).

For Windows 7, the drivers are required in order to install.

@BlackOSX: I solved my strange MBR / booting issue with Chameleon, but unfortunately am not sure exactly what the issue was. : ( I tried for days and more installs attempts than I can count, but it's working now so...

I have some other issues I need help with now, but I will list them later in a separate post.

THANKS YOU GUYS AGAIN! This is the best place for people serious about getting OS X up and running and the help here is the BEST!

:D

Hi Mammoth.

Your description of your issue has been first class, I am just sorry I couldn't identify an answer for you.

As for the BootCD, can you show me a picture of what you mean by the text is ''all messed up"?. I have just booted from the v1.07 BootCD and this is what I see.

post-331032-1271870829_thumb.jpg

Welcome aboard Stealth Dave. Thanks for the report ;)

Hi BlackOSX,

Next time I see it do it, I will snap a pic to send to you.

Thanks.

try Quick boot=disabled

Please explain! Where is this command?

Is this Chameleon boot option? com.apple.Boot.plist?

many thanks

try Quick boot=disabled

The board is ok. RAM passes test. I need to find a way around kext caches, repairpermission, or run kext utility.

The last thing I ded was repair the CMOS bug in the dsdt. But the system does not boot not even with the old dsdt, playes with all combinations of known kexts [even the presound fix]...

Please explain! Where is this command?

Is this Chameleon boot option? com.apple.Boot.plist?

many thanks

The board is ok. RAM passes test. I need to find a way around kext caches, repairpermission, or run kext utility.

The last thing I ded was repair the CMOS bug in the dsdt. But the system does not boot not even with the old dsdt, playes with all combinations of known kexts [even the presound fix]...

sjpapa, forgot to tell you this option is in the MB boot menu.

Disk lockups - Since moving over to 10.6 I've been getting regular disk lockups in all situations. I've stripped back the OS and cut my apps down to the minimum but I can't get the machine to behave. However it's really inconsistent and I can have some heavy video sessions (live mixing) where everything works fine or the app (VDMX) keeps on going and everything else freezes for 20/30 seconds?

Well it turned out I had a big problem with my SATA drives and not just one in fact I had four go down from the same batch in a period of three weeks. However when I think about it they were a number of years old and had done their time as RAID drives and as standalone. The fix was to move to SSD and now my rig is rock solid :-) Not gone to 10.6.3 yet but will try that soon.

Need help troubleshooting something here, would appreciate any help.

I've developed this problem over time, as I did not always have it. Still on 10.6.2 here, and that was a smooth update, it didn't develop up until a couple of months ago. The problem is that the desktop goes a little unresponsive. The system as a whole is half-unresponsive. If I act quickly enough, I can manage to restart via the login window.

What I immediately notice is Firefox crashes/ or is unresponsive. I quit the app, and try restarting. However Firefox tells me that there is already an instance of the program open. Though ActivityMonitor.app says otherwise. Eventually every app is unresponsive, I cannot force quit them. A lot of UI elements seem responsive, buttons, etc. In the menubar as well. Sometimes opening an app works. Spotlight too, but the quitting/logging out/restarting/shutdown via the apple menu doesn't. Hence a lot of half-unresponsiveness. Again, going to the login window works, and I can restart there, but it takes a good while. A few times I've done a force restart because it was taking too long.

Lastly, it seems to happen about every other week or so. I also believe that when it happens that the system has been put to sleep at least once since last restarted.

I'm not even sure what this could be. Any tips can help.

Hello everyone!

First of all, I want to thank blackosx for this wonderful guide, it was very useful and it was the first time when I make my HackOS working :)

But I have one little problem...

My HDA 888 doesnt work. Absolutely. I did everything that was written in the guide, but sound doesnt turn on :(

I have EP45T-DS3 & running Mac OS X 10.6 without comboupdates.

But now I'm going to update my system and will try to make HDA888 work like this written in the guide.

So, if I will not be able to turn on my sound, I'll return here and tell you more about it. Ask me please about additional info, 'cause I really dont know what information you need to solve this problem. :rolleyes:

PS Sorry for my poor English :blush:

But I have one little problem...

My HDA 888 doesnt work. Absolutely. I did everything that was written in the guide, but sound doesnt turn on :thumbsup_anim:

I have EP45T-DS3 & running Mac OS X 10.6 without comboupdates.

But now I'm going to update my system and will try to make HDA888 work like this written in the guide.

Are you sure? I looked up for specifications for that board and it came back as 889a.

Are you sure? I looked up for specifications for that board and it came back as 889a.

I'm not really sure. But System info tells me that i have HDA888 (see attach):

PS So now I'm rebooting with 10.6.3 combo. Crossing fingers!

post-608989-1272257382_thumb.png

Thanks BlackOSX and BigPoppa206,

I recommend the High-Point Tech RocketRAID cards highly for anyone looking for a RAID card that you can actually boot from because High-point provides OS X drivers! Drivers aren't provided for ALL of their cards, so make sure to get one that does.

Ditto some of the older LSI cards for those of you with SCSI drives. Apple still has builtin support for those.

I'm not really sure. But System info tells me that i have HDA888 (see attach):

PS So now I'm rebooting with 10.6.3 combo. Crossing fingers!

But if that kext is loading then it might just be the system saying that's what it thinks you have. TRY THIS LINK and see if the specs match up for you. If so, you have the same motherboard sound as me and it only takes a certain legacyhda.kext to get it running, nothing else. My EP45C-UD3R uses the same audio AND works flawlessly with 10.6.3. If you want to test this theory, GO TO THIS POST and download the guy's SL_Pack and use his LegacyHDA.kext instead and see what happens. Don't forget to run Kext Utility after you install it, reboot and then go to System Preferences, Sound, Output and select Internal Speakers. Then your green port in the back should have stereo sound coming out. Also, make sure your BIOS is set properly.

Hi, Blackosx.

Is dual boot with Win 7 possible with Chameleon RC4? I mean the way you teach in your guide, with the win partition on the same HDD.

Thanks.

Hello Jamonda,

Yes, I am running 2.0-RC4-r684 and is working great with dual boot Win7 x64, Cham, OSX, an additional OSX Repair install, plus a 400MB partition for Time Machine.

But if that kext is loading then it might just be the system saying that's what it thinks you have. TRY THIS LINK and see if the specs match up for you.

Yep, this is my motherboard.

If so, you have the same motherboard sound as me and it only takes a certain legacyhda.kext to get it running, nothing else. My EP45C-UD3R uses the same audio AND works flawlessly with 10.6.3. If you want to test this theory, GO TO THIS POST and download the guy's SL_Pack and use his LegacyHDA.kext instead and see what happens. Don't forget to run Kext Utility after you install it, reboot and then go to System Preferences, Sound, Output and select Internal Speakers. Then your green port in the back should have stereo sound coming out. Also, make sure your BIOS is set properly.

I downloaded this pack and replaced LegasyHDA.kext in /E/E/, runned kext utility, but i received no result :D Maybe I use Kext Utility wrong way?

I also replaced my dsdt.aml with DSDT.aml from SL_Pack but nothing was changed.

There's my System Prefs (Sound) panel:

(translation of inscription in window: "Output devices not found")

So, about BIOS' settings... Have you the most important settings that can make a point of work of sound system? I check my BIOS and there's Azaila codec = "Auto" :)

post-608989-1272290293_thumb.png

:PSuccess with GA-EP43-UD3L BIOS=F9 SL=10.6.3 ;)

The only difference are the slightly different kexts as in this guide, and the AppleHDA.kext in the zip file needs to be moved according to page 5 of part 4 of this fabulous guide to /System/Library/Extensions from the Extra/Extensions folder.

Maybe my BIOS= F5 was creating the problems. The attached DSDT is exactly the one from the Wiki on 10.6.2 of this board, I did not adapt any VGA...[yet].

See my kexts below...oops the zip is 5.3MB and cannot be uploaded...need a way around??

have fun!

Thanks for this incredible guide!!

2 questions for you..

1 - Where can I found how to make a backup installation. Can I just make a disk image or something like that or do I have to install SL the long way ?

2 - In few words, can you tell me what I'd have to do if I would like to use chameleon (on my CHAM 1GB partition) to boot OSX and WIN7 on separated hard drives?

I downloaded this pack and replaced LegasyHDA.kext in /E/E/, runned kext utility, but i received no result :P Maybe I use Kext Utility wrong way?

So, about BIOS' settings... Have you the most important settings that can make a point of work of sound system? I check my BIOS and there's Azaila codec = "Auto" :blink:

Wait until BlackOSX gets back on, maybe he has a way to ID your sound from your motherboard. Sounds like something is wonkie. PS, you should build your own DSDT file, not use someone else's. Remember the DSDT file is based on the BIOS for YOUR motherboard and using one made for another board can have weird effects.

A lot of the forums I am searching are pointing here. And so, I'm wading through this highly advanced topic next to my first hackintosh.

It's an i7 930 ex58 ud5 build. I used kakewalk restoring a 10.6 disk. I would like to optimize my build, but first Airport is not working and neither is my internal sound. I thought it was going to work oob. I'm new to kexts, but it looks like other bootloaders have them conveniently attached. Should I use another bootloader or should I start figuring out what kexts I need for the latest update, whenever i can get there?

I am running gigabyte ga-p35-ds3l and have everything working. I did the update to 10.6.3 and fixed the audio. Not sure if it works, when it boots it doesnt allow me to use mouse. It moves but is either in a different color or shape and does click. Any idea or has this been experienced?

Hi everyone, Sorry for not being around but I am very busy at the moment. So I will pop my head in here every now and then to catch up.

Thanks for your help here bigpoppa206 :)

I have just had a quick peruse of the posts since I left and here are some quick answers...

@QuadMachine - What hardware are you running?

@mitko17 - What video card have you got?

I don't know why your time machine starts after wakeup.

I have read before somewhere about auto sleep not happening at the exact time wanted, but 1 few hours seems drastic. But I can only comment on my board and not your EP43-DS3.

@sjpapa - Well done with your upgrade, and now I read you are up to 10.6.3.. Good work ;)

@Mammoth - I am happy to read that you have solved your RAID issue, but it's a shame you can remember the exact steps you took to fix it.

@2bitpunk - Good to read you have sorted your issue with the SATA drives, but sorry to hear that they were knackered. But you've now moved to SSD?.. wow. Do you notice much of an improvement with boot times and general usage?

@Enzo - The problems you describe sound strange and I have never come across anything like that. I wouldn't know what to suggest there... Have you another 10.6 installation on your hack? and if so, does it behave the same way?

@Tanya bl - EP45T-DS3 uses ALC889a - You need to read another thread.

@Jamonda - Yes dual boot is possible with Chameleon RC4, I am using it it right now. So for a dual boot on the same HDD, you just have to use the fdisk440 to install the boot0hfs from my support files, whilst still using the other files from Chameleon RC4.

@Cyberderf - As installing OS X is now relatively simple and once you have done it once, it's easy to just add another installation from the retail DVD on to another partition and doesn't take long. But if you want to make a duplicate of an existing install the google CarbonCopyCloner.

@D-an-W - Thanks for your report. Good to hear my guides are still helping people.

@cinemalone - Your hardware setup looks exciting and is probably needs more advanced help than what this thread can offer though the overall philosophy of this guide should still work for you. For specifics, I recommend you search some of the over fantastic threads dedicated to X58 boards.

@harshvfx - 10.6.3 did have some USB issues. But I never experienced it. Have a search for another thread dedicated for your P35-DS3L where you'll most likely get better help from others with the same hardware as you.

I downloaded this pack and replaced LegasyHDA.kext in /E/E/, runned kext utility, but i received no result :( Maybe I use Kext Utility wrong way?

So, about BIOS' settings... Have you the most important settings that can make a point of work of sound system? I check my BIOS and there's Azaila codec = "Auto" ;)

As Blackosx mentioned "@Tanya bl - EP45T-DS3 uses ALC889a - You need to read another thread."

You'll need to modify your DSDT as the SL_Pack DSDT is for ALC888.

Here's my ALC889a DSDT code:

}

Device (HDEF)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Store (Package (0x08)
                       {
                           "codec-id", 
                           Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x89, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
                           }, 

"layout-id", 
                           /**** Is ResourceTemplate, but EndTag not at buffer end ****/ Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

"device-type", 
                           Buffer (0x10)
                           {
                               "Realtek ALC889a"
                           }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
                           Buffer (0x18)
                           {
                               /* 0000 */    0x10, 0x44, 0x11, 0x01, 0x20, 0x14, 0x01, 0x01, 
                               /* 0008 */    0x40, 0x4C, 0x21, 0x02, 0x50, 0x34, 0x81, 0x01, 
                               /* 0010 */    0x60, 0x9C, 0xA1, 0x02, 0xF0, 0x61, 0x4B, 0x01
                           }
                       }, Local0)
                   DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                   Return (Local0)
               }
           }
       }

Device (SBUS)

Your board might need a little different code... but it could be a good start.

Also attached is my DSDT. Might want to install it and give it a shot.

Also attached are the LegecyHDA889a. Pick one and see if it works.

dsdt.aml_3.zip

LegacyHDA_889__ALC889a__chamel_extra_extensions.zip

Your welcome B, can I ask if the RC5 you included is using the most current source?

The Support Files includes a pre-release version of Chameleon RC5 - Build number 112.

The offical Chameleon release is still RC4 r684. The reason I included a pre-release version of RC5 was to try and stop the confusion from the different bootloaders that were appearing, as that pre-release version includes most, if not all, the features of the other bootloaders.

But to answer your question, the current build of the trunk of RC5 is at v139

I have a minor issue I'm trying to resolve.

I purchased an external enclosure for a spare hard drive I had and

used Carbon Copy Cloner to copy my working SL 10.6.3 with 4 partitions

to the spare hard drive attached to USB. Everythihng copied fine according

to CCC.

To verify that in fact everything is copied I tried to boot drom the USB

attached hard drive and get the following screen.

Prior to that screen I get the following messages:

Boot0: GPT

Boot0: testing

Boot0: testing

Boot0: done

Does this mean that the Cham partition is not correct on the external drive

or do I have to change something on the Cham partition so that it boots.

Does CCC copy everything from the Cham partition?

post-398704-1272491599_thumb.jpg

I am wanting to remove the the onboard audio from dsdt, and also removing the LegacyHDA kext (Don't use onboard at all anymore). Kinda hoping to speed up my boot time in the process, but mainly doing it so as to not have to deal with onboard audio anymore.

Anyone know how I can do this easily? Just unsure about the code to remove here.

Or should I just rebuild the dsdt again (w/ACPI Patcher) without it?