[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi -iCE-

When using Cartri's modified BIOS, for wake from sleep, you will need to tick the 'Startup Automatically after Power Failure' checkbox in System Prefs / Energy saver. Yeah, you will have to use a kext for restart for now, until his next revision of the BIOS is released :(, , and Cartri recommends either EVOreboot or OSXRestart. Shutdown should work without any kext. You should also be able to run without NullCPU.... and SleepEnabler.kext.

The Realtek Bonjour Enabler just sets up ifconfig, so it's strange you are receiving errors about IONetworkingFamily.kext

Sorry about asking about checking the BIOS settings but I had to ask.

So those errors where only when running with the kernel in 64-bit mode?.. I will need to double check on my system when I get home to give you an accurate report from my system to see if I also get those when running in 64-bit mode. When I do so , I will also post my Extra folder for you too.. (But it won't be for 5 and a bit hours yet) ;)

1 - When booting from a different drive to the one your Cham partition is on normally, either a BootCD or a second HDD, OS X will show different disk identifier numbers for the drives.

2 - In the Finder, Get info on your 'Data' volume and looking at the bottom of the window, see if you have permissions for it. You should be able to change the ownership to you.

3 - I think your fseventsd errors are generated by Spotlight, a quick search should tell you more about them. I will have a look at my system this evening to see if I have any of the other messages.

Hopefully that might be of some help to you.

check ur ram do a memtest and see if u are getting any disk i/o errors

i'll be honest, i thought the suggestion was crazy but i did it anyway... and you were right!

one of the sticks barfed errors all over memtest ;)

strange, it worked fine for all this time and now all of a sudden it fails. any guesses what can cause this to happen? first time in my life i've had a dimm go bad.

updated to 10.6.3, working well. thank you

question about cartris bios, i installed it, tried the DSDT=cartri but when i boot up i dont have proper video (cant change resolution -- only one is available under display) . nvidia 8800 gts 640mb

Well done with sorting your update issue ;)(Good call -iCE-)

Cartri recommends using an device (EFI) string in the com.apple.Boot.plist for configuring your video card. This is how we used to do it when using Leopard, before the fancy GraphicsEnabler came about in Chameleon. You can use EFIStudio to create one or there are lots of pre-made strings on Aquamac's forum.

Once you have a string for your video card, you then need to create a 'device-properties' key/string in your com.apple.boot.plist which will look like this:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>........ lots of hex......</string>

And you will want to remove the GraphicsEnabler boot option from the com.apple.Boot.plist if you have it in there.

@-iCE!HACKER-

Just a quick post to show I also have some of the messages that your posted about in my system.log.

I am running the kernel in 64-bit mode.

Apr  6 22:53:12 BlackSnow com.apple.kextd[10]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/InternalModemSupport.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.

Apr  6 22:53:12 BlackSnow com.apple.kextd[10]: Failed to load /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/InternalModemSupport.kext - (libkern/kext) requested architecture/executable not found.

Apr  7 18:20:55 BlackSnow fseventsd[35]: check_vol_last_mod_time:XXX failed to get mount time (25; &mount_time == 0x10043f8b8)
Apr  7 18:20:55 BlackSnow fseventsd[35]: log dir: /Volumes/DISK1S4/.fseventsd getting new uuid: E872DDBC-99DE-4423-ABAC-504B7AF7DB79

Apr  7 18:21:06 BlackSnow WindowServer[97]: kCGErrorFailure: Set a breakpoint @ CGErrorBreakpoint() to catch errors as they are logged.

@blackosx

For this

Apr  6 22:53:12 BlackSnow com.apple.kextd[10]: Can't load /System/Library/Extensions/IOSerialFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/InternalModemSupport.kext - no code for running kernel's architecture.

ok if i am not mistaken please try disabling serial/parallel ports in bios to avoid this error.

the rest of the errors can be corrected by adding

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>DSDT=cartri arch=i386</string>

HTH

Thanks for the tip -iCE!HACKER- :wacko:

I'll switch back to using 32-bit mode, though I haven't noticed any issues in actually using my system. As discussed earlier, here's my current Extra folder for running with Cartri's 0.7h BIOS and booting with Chameleon v2 RC4 r684.

Extra.zip

Note to everybody else, the Extra folder posted above is only for the current trials with Cartri's BIOS and really any further discussions about Cartri's modified Gigabyte BIOS for the EP45-DS3L should take place at his thread. Please don't confuse that with this guide and my recommendations set out in the PDF's here, Thanks.

I'll switch back to using 32-bit mode, though I haven't noticed any issues in actually using my system. As discussed earlier, here's my current Extra folder for running with Cartri's 0.7h BIOS and booting with Chameleon v2 RC4 r684.

Extra.zip

Note to everybody else, the Extra folder posted above is only for the current trials with Cartri's BIOS and really any further discussions about Cartri's modified Gigabyte BIOS for the EP45-DS3L should take place at his thread. Please don't confuse that with this guide and my recommendations set out in the PDF's here, Thanks.

thanks for sharing. :) btw i removed "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext" and "SleepEnabler.kext" sleep works just fine, shutdown works too but reboot takes about 2 sec extra(can live with that). just have to sort out the rest of errors. it would be nice if you could let me know if arch=i386 ie 32bit gets rid of the .kext errors.

thanks again

-iCE-

NB:- fix for

Apr  7 23:30:21 ICEHACKERs-Mac-Pro com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[101] (com.apple.ReportCrash): Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=192563

thanks for sharing. :) btw i removed "NullCPUPowerManagement.kext" and "SleepEnabler.kext" sleep works just fine, shutdown works too but reboot takes about 2 sec extra(can live with that)...

When I removed the above kexts the CPU temps increased about 5-7 degrees. Install iSat Menus (freeware) and note the temps with and without the above files

...it would be nice if you could let me know if arch=i386 ie 32bit gets rid of the .kext errors.

I no longer have the 'IOSerialFamily.kext .......InternalModemSupport.kext' error in System.log.

But I still have the two fseventsd[35] errors and the WindowServer[]: kCGErrorFailure error.

However, I am fine with those.

And thanks for the 'ReportCrash.Self' post, I will have a look at that a bit later.

Regards

:)

When I removed the above kexts the CPU temps increased about 5-7 degrees.

Hi Johnny V, Yes that's what happens, Though if you don't use stepping data in your DSDT.aml then you can always have a look at installing Superhai's VoodooPowerMini.kext in to /S/L/E. That's what I currently do when using Cartri's modified BIOS as I no longer use the DSDT.aml posted here.

Hi Johnny V, Yes that's what happens, Though if you don't use stepping data in your DSDT.aml then you can always have a look at installing Superhai's VoodooPowerMini.kext in to /S/L/E. That's what I currently do when using Cartri's modified BIOS as I no longer use the DSDT.aml posted here.

Yep I'm not using stepping data in my DSDT... though I proably should give it another try.

Cool! What's the benefits using Superhai's kext? Would I take out both kexts ( SleepEnabler.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext ) and replace with Superhai's or just replace NullCPUPowerManagement.kext?

Thanks!

Cool! What's the benefits using Superhai's kext? Would I take out both kexts ( SleepEnabler.kext and NullCPUPowerManagement.kext ) and replace with Superhai's or just replace NullCPUPowerManagement.kext?

I don't know if this is the exact definition but:

Superhai's VoodooPowerMini.kext works out what P-States (performance states) your CPU has and adjusts the power it receives, therefore utilising Intel's Speedstep technology. And with lower power, you get lower temps. But what ot doesn't do it C-States (idle states) which are great for when your machine is idling or doing very little as with those, one or more cores can enter deep sleep saving even more power and heat.

You use it when you are are not using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. And when not using NullCPU.... you don't need SleepEnabler.kext as SleepEnabler works in conjunction with NullCPU...

But VoodooPowerMini.kext has to be installed in to /System/Library/Extensions, not in /Extra/Extensions. And you install it the same way as I showed for the patched AppleHDA.kext when updating to 10.6.3.

Then, if you like, you can use VoodooMonitor.kext in /Extra/Extensions with the VoodooMonitor app to view the stepping and show what's happening with the CPU.

Hi Sibicle

Are you using this motherboard? and have you followed this install guide? as I have updated 3 x Snow Leopard installs with the patched AppleHDA.kext in the Support Files without problem.

Thanks for the reply,

Yes I am using your exact steps from your guide, with your exact board, and everything was 100% working in 10.6.2.

Yes I am using your exact steps from your guide, with your exact board, and everything was 100% working in 10.6.2.

Okay. Thanks for confirming your hardware :(

When you have installed the patched AppleHDA.kext and rebooted, can you see the AppleHDA.kext loaded in the system? you can check by either typing sudo kextstat in to the Terminal or loading up System Profiler and clicking 'Extensions' under the 'Software' section in the left hand panel.

But note, if the original one is still in /S/L/E then that too will show in the above search too.

So I hate to ask the obvious, but can you double check you are using the one from the latest v1.3.2 of the Support Files? (it was also the same version as in v1.3.1)

EDIT: Right, I have just updated a 10.6.3 installation with the patched AppleHDA.kext from the Support Files v1.3.2 and audio is working great. So that's without touching the DSDT or LegacyHDA.kext.

Thanks

I'm on 10.6.3

It's all ok after changes in /E/E and /S/L/E for audio

All is done and works fine

Hi Z4g0r

Good to hear from you :D

Hope things are well for you?

Yeah, you will have to use a kext for restart for now, until his next revision of the BIOS is released ;), , and Cartri recommends either EVOreboot or OSXRestart. Shutdown should work without any kext.

@-iCE!HACKER- Just to let you know, 0.7m is now released and the includes a restart implementation in the BIOS.

Is anybody else getting these console messages when they login?

4/7/10 8:58:42 PM com.apple.notifyd[12] EV_DELETE failed for file watcher 108

4/7/10 8:58:42 PM com.apple.notifyd[12] EV_DELETE failed for file watcher 107

4/7/10 8:58:42 PM com.apple.notifyd[12] EV_DELETE failed for file watcher 104

4/7/10 8:58:42 PM com.apple.notifyd[12] EV_DELETE failed for file watcher 103

4/7/10 8:58:42 PM com.apple.notifyd[12] EV_DELETE failed for file watcher 102

4/7/10 8:58:42 PM com.apple.notifyd[12] EV_DELETE failed for file watcher 100

4/7/10 8:58:42 PM com.apple.notifyd[12] EV_DELETE failed for file watcher 101

4/7/10 8:58:42 PM com.apple.notifyd[12] EV_DELETE failed for file watcher 106

I've tried the steps mentioned here but still no luck.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1332476

am wondering if it has anything to do with the Chameleon partition.

blackosx let me know if this is not the place for this question and I will start a new thread in a different forum.

Is anybody else getting these console messages when they login?

4/7/10 8:58:42 PM com.apple.notifyd[12] EV_DELETE failed for file watcher 108

Hi d'animal

I also have the messages in my log. I don't mind you posting it here as I guess it's relevant to all our installations here.

And thanks for posting the link which I will get round to reading hopefully soon (along with the other fix that -iCE!HACKER- posted yesterday).

@-iCE!HACKER- Just to let you know, 0.7m is now released and the includes a restart implementation in the BIOS.

@blackosx thanks for the update will check it out as soon as i reach home. still getting perm errors with AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E folder. havnt much idea on how to fix it. will keep trying. can u please try doing a repair perms on ur SL install if u dont get any erros i would like to have a copy of your AppleHDA.kext from /S/L/E folder too :wacko:

-iCE-

Hi -iCE-

I have only just read about this so I haven't yet tried it but see if Conti's pfix helps your permissions issue as it looks like it might be a useful thing to have around. He has a page here on permissions, then a link to his pfix script.

EDIT: As for your request of me doing a repair permissions of my system and sending you my AppleHDA.kext, I will have a look at that later this evening if I get a chance and report back here. But if you get a chance to play with Conti's pfix and sort your issue before I get back later then please post. Thanks

EDIT2: I have run Disk Utility/Repair Permissions and I get errors about AppleHDA.kext with messages like

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/.........blah

Then I installed and ran Conti's pfix script which successfully completed asking me to reboot. After doing so, my audio was no longer working, even though the patched AppleHDA.kext was loading. But when running Disk Utility/Repair Permissions again, it still reported the same errors about 'Permissions differ..... blah' for AppleHDA.kext.

So I have since put the patched AppleHDA.kext back in /S/L/E as I did originally and left it alone as it works. So to answer your question, yes, Disk Utility generates 'Permission differs' errors for when using and installing the patched AppleHDA.kext the way I have shown (but it works). :wacko:

Hi blackosx,

I've almost successfully installed 10.6.3, but I seem to be having issues with my audio. I've followed the guides and am using the AppleHDA.kext from the support files, and all *seems* well. I have volume control and it appears like all is working, but no audio is produced. I don't get any errors, and if I don't use your AppleHDA.kext then my audio device doesn't appear, so it seems like i'm patching it correctly. Very strange... Any thoughts?

I don't know if this is the exact definition but:

Superhai's VoodooPowerMini.kext works out what P-States (performance states) your CPU has and adjusts the power it receives, therefore utilising Intel's Speedstep technology. And with lower power, you get lower temps. But what ot doesn't do it C-States (idle states) which are great for when your machine is idling or doing very little as with those, one or more cores can enter deep sleep saving even more power and heat.

You use it when you are are not using NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. And when not using NullCPU.... you don't need SleepEnabler.kext as SleepEnabler works in conjunction with NullCPU...

But VoodooPowerMini.kext has to be installed in to /System/Library/Extensions, not in /Extra/Extensions. And you install it the same way as I showed for the patched AppleHDA.kext when updating to 10.6.3.

Then, if you like, you can use VoodooMonitor.kext in /Extra/Extensions with the VoodooMonitor app to view the stepping and show what's happening with the CPU.

Thanks for the info blackosx!

OK I tried VoodooPowerMini.kext in the /System/Library/Extensions and removed NullCPUPowerManagement.kext/SleepEnabler.kext. But no luck as temps went about 10+ degrees higher. Not sure what the problem is. When I tried using Speedstep in my DSDT, a few months ago, I had the same results with high temps. I might give Speedstep one more shot just for the heck of it.

hi !

thanks for reply. but it is still not working.

i downloaded the supported files 1.3.1 once again and copied the legacyhda.kext and applehda.kext on right place and repaired permissions. but still no luck.

apple hda is loading, but on osx i dont have any sound in system preferences ( EP 45 DS3L-R )

is on the DS3L-R board maybe another hardware id nessessary ?

here is my log :

thx

bart

ive solved it . i dont know why, but i had an HDAEnabler.kext in my extentions folder that conflicts with the new stuff...

Anyone have any experience with the video signal dropping out after the display is powered off and then back on (while computer is running continously)? I've got a GEForce 8400 and the display is fine when I boot with the monitor on, but I find that if i power up the monitor after the computer has been running (and it's running fine, as I've been using screen sharing the entire time), I get a "No Signal" message and OS X doesn't seem to see the monitor connected. I'm using a DVI out of my vid card to HDMI in on my HDTV. Thoughts? If it's problematic then I just need to reboot and the problem is solved, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Thanks

Another minor bug... Seems that my USB thumbdrive doesn't mount automatically upon restart/wake from sleep. I need to remove it and reinsert for it to appear. Is this a known issue and is there a fix for it?

This sounds like you have not done the fix to your DSDT to make the USB ports appear as builtin to your system. That's what affected my system and once fixed, everything works fine, including wake from sleep and thumbdrives operating as they should. YMMV!

hi, do anyone have the solution for the 7300GT video card ? I have to go back to NVInject without GeForce kext in order to boot to my system.

PS : I can't boot in 32 mode without panic-ing (I don't know why, this happends since 10.6.0 setup)