[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

@blackosx, I finally found the solution. Someone in the inspiron 530 thread told me to boot safe mode with -x and run kext utility to fix all the kernel panics. That did it for me. Now the OS loads without any Kernel panics.

@fragreaver, those are the kernel panics I was seeing. So it might be worth a shot to boot safe mode and run kext utility (google it).

Now I have the OS but its not recognizing SATA (no internal HDD or DVD), no sound, no ethernet, and no USB Network adapter. I am not sure but I tried putting a couple of kexts (that I know should work) in the Cham/Extra/Extensions folder. But that didn't do anything. So I installed them with kext helper. But I am not sure that is right way for a Vanilla install. Shouldn't the kexts be loaded from the Cham partition? In any case, installing with kext helper didn't help either. Any idea whats going on?

Sleep does work but it doesn't wake up. Shutdown completely shutdown my machine a couple of times but not always. Restart still shuts down my machine with a power light on. But I like the new Vanilla setup.

Thanks for the great guide. I have sort of bastardized it and did what shamansanchez did. Bootloader on usb and the install on a hd partition. Still working out a few kinks but it is getting there. I have sound and ethernet but my dsdt.aml graphics didn't seem to work so I am just adding a efi string to my boot plist. No kps yet. When I hit the sleep button from the apple menu it ejected my usb stick is this normal or is there a fix for that?

thanks again this is fantastic.

I had been booting from the usb stick each time but I loaded everything from it onto the EFI partition and now it boots on its own! Awesome, boots even faster than 10.5.8. with fewer kexts!

This is {censored} hot!

to see if your RealtekR1000.kext is loaded, you can load up Terminal and type

sudo kextstat

that will give you a list of all loaded extensions.

with regard to loading kexts manually, load up Terminal and type

man kextload

to read about options

You should be able to switch between 32 & 64bit fine. Although some users have reported one working better than the other, or one resulting in a KP.

Good news: Bonjour finally works! :D

Bad news: I had to move RealtekR1000.kext into S/L. :)

Thanks for all of your help! I will tinker more with this later, but are you aware of any instances when even a combined Extensions.mkext from /Volumes/Cham/Extra will not load?

Now I have the OS but its not recognizing SATA (no internal HDD or DVD), no sound, no ethernet, and no USB Network adapter. I am not sure but I tried putting a couple of kexts (that I know should work) in the Cham/Extra/Extensions folder. But that didn't do anything. So I installed them with kext helper. But I am not sure that is right way for a Vanilla install. Shouldn't the kexts be loaded from the Cham partition? In any case, installing with kext helper didn't help either. Any idea whats going on?

I was having the same issues with some kexts not properly loading from Cham. I'm not sure how to fix it but I will definitely be trolling the forum to find a solution :D

I have SL running in 64 bit mode - with the help of BlackOSx's excellent guide -

Cisco VPN Client is not able to load the required kexts in 64 bit mode -

If I boot chameleon by typing -x32 - I am able to boot 32 bit kernel and Cisco VPN client works fine -

I am trying to make it the default option -

I have tried putting -x32 and -v -x32 in kernel flags string in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist file on CHAM partition -

It still boots 64 bit kernel - (System Profiler - Software - 64 bit kernel and extension ) -

Please advise what am I missing -

My com.apple.Boot.plist file -

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1680x1050x32</string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v -x32</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,3)</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>EHCIacquire</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UHCIreset</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>USBBusFix</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Instant Menu</key>

<string>No</string>

Thanks a lot for this guide -- I haven't tried it yet but it seems like you spent a lot of time on it and everything seems pretty clear. One quick question though, I only have one physical hard drive (and a 8gb USB stick that I plan on using as the installer source). Is it absolutely necessary to have two physical hard drives (one currently running Leopard and then a second for the Snow Leopard installation) or can I just install Snow Leopard to an empty partition on my Leopard drive? Thanks!

A very well written guide, although i have MSI P35 motherboard but i guess basic part of the process would be fairly identical so i'll be sticking to your guide for any help.

In addition to boogi's query i'd also like to know if you had any problems with Leopard/SL install not reading the Win7 partition.

I particularly had this issue when a tried partitioning in GUID scheme.

I made partitions in Disk utility in this order:

• Windows 7 FAT

• Snow Leopard HFS+

• Leopard HFS+

• Data HFS+

After formatting these in GUID scheme, i performed a fresh Leo install on the 3'rd partition, after which i booted Win7 Setup and formatted the 1st Partition to NTFS within the setup and then installed windows on it, everything went smoothly without any hiccups until i booted back to my Leopard install only to find that Win7 partition shows as a blank FAT partition, which is surprising as windows runs without any issues.

I tried this atleast twice just to make sure but no luck. :(

Should i try partitioning with Leo and Snow partition above the windows partition, would it solve this?

Again, thanks a lot for this slick guide.

Great guide - success with p35-ds3l motherboard - created dsdt.aml all OK. Next machine ep35-ds3p same install created dsdt.aml boots and doesn't restart cmos so dsdt.aml is being loaded but the video will not work for 8800 gts 512mb defaults to basic video. tried a number of times to build new dsdt.aml but no go Help please!!

I started the stress test 0:50am, KP occured at 2:30...some video encoding, video running, cpu load with cpuTest.

Maybe I'll do a complete reinstall or fixing permissions with Kext Utility. I'm gonna get snow kitteh to work, even if it's the last thing do! :(

@fragreaver - Sorry fragreaver, I have never seen the KP before.. and I can't think what could be causing that.

@titan4 - Great news - Well done :(

The DSDT guide just shows what I did, but it is a bit of a dark art, and there will be differences with everyones system.

Yes, AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext does deal with HD. I haven't played with any video from iTunes. But all my HD movies are Matroksa (.mkv) files and they play great in an app called movist.

Bonjour has now been reported as working in64-bit using the latest drivers from Psystar and a little hack.. I haven't had a chance to try is yet as this morning my first priority is to reply on here..... :) But read down from here. There is also a bit about fixing Time Machine if anybody has problems with it.

Audio - I don't use any more than Stereo, so I haven't tested SPDIF passtrough but again there is a thread going about somewhere about digital audio.

Thanks for pointing out your method of installation. So for anybody without a USB drive have a look. :)

@shamansanchez - Again great news and well done :)

This is another variation of the install and good to hear you got that working as well. Again for anybody else, this could be the solution for you. Just using fakesmc.kext will get you loaded, but you will need the platformUUID.kext fix to sort your UUID Error 35. And for sound? well that's unfortunately gonna be down to you finding out what's needed for you mobo.

@EzEzE - As long as you have an install working then that's great. Well done EzEzE :)

@yelloguy - Fantastic! Again, well done for getting your system up and running without KP's.

But for your inspiron 530, you are going to have to search for what you now need to get everything else working. In the past I have found that not all kexts will load from E/E.

I always try to get my systems running by only adding extra kexts etc to E/E, and I don't touch /S/L/E. That's what make this install different from some of the others. The beauty of this is when you have worked out what's needed in your /E/E, you can install a new system from a retail DVD, boot from Chameleon and it will be 100% working.

@shmk - Again, well done :)

You are just going to need it apply any kexts ets... specific for your mobo.

@kreayshunist - Well done getting Bonjour working :) Not so good If you had to move RealtekR1000.kext into S/L/E

But, yes like I said to yelloguy above, In the past I have had instances when kext refuse to load from /E/E.

@dagdu - So you have 64-bit running - Fantastic.

But I don't know why your system won't boot using the kernel in 32-bit, as your com.apple.Boot.plist looks fine.

@boogi - If you have a USB memory stick and one Physical HD then you should be fine. see how titan4 and shamansanchez did it above :) But with Leopard and SnowLeopard on the same HD, you'll have to work out a way for Chameleon to load the correct kexts for each system when you boot?

@The Alchemist - Thanks, and yes the general principle of this guide will work with any setup. I haven't got a Windows install on my machine at the moment as I wiped that drive so I could start using SnowLeopard. When I did my Dual boot with 10.5.8 and Win7, I installed Chameleon to the EFI partition, then OS X to 1st partition, Win7 on 2nd. See my dual boot guide for more details.

@loisl - Thanks - I am happy it's worked for you too :D

@121fred - Well done to you too for a successful install:)

If you can't get your video working from DSDT.aml then leave that section blank and add an EFI string for video to your com.apple.Boot.plist.

@fragreaver - Just when you think you have it all perfect - it goes and does that?... bad kitty..

You'll have to nail it soon :P

@blackosx Thx for link regarding Bonjour in x64. I will try it when i get home from work. Regarding SPDIF...I am aware of threads about that however it requires AppleHDA.kext patching. What i was wondering is if it is possible to do that outside of /S/L/E so I can still have clean system, because I really like that concept.

Thanks for all your help blackosx.

I'm beginning to think that it's probably due to some inconspicuous BIOS setting that's causing the kernel to panic. I've posted the permissions and folder structure of my Snow Leopard partition. Same as before, the Install DVD or 10.6 would panic at the same place.

Snapshot_2009_08_31_19_42_27.tiff

Snapshot_2009_08_31_19_47_16.tiff

@blackosx Thx for link regarding Bonjour in x64. I will try it when i get home from work. Regarding SPDIF...I am aware of threads about that however it requires AppleHDA.kext patching. What i was wondering is if it is possible to do that outside of /S/L/E so I can still have clean system, because I really like that concept.

If you're using an HDMI cable to get audio which is connected to an internal SPDIF out, it never worked in Leopard for me with patching. They might've changed it for snow leopard.

@andycorleone

Okay, come back to it when you're ready.

@titan4

Good luck with the x64 Bonjour (I still haven't had a chance to look at it myself)

All I can tell you with SPDIF is on my hack, in System Prefs / Sound / Output - I have a Digital Output option to choose from. I haven't tested if it works, and I probably never will. Sorry not to be any more help on this. Tmongkol might be able to help you further with this.

@Simonia

If it helps I have attached two more screenshots of my system for reference.

@llblasi

Hope you don't mind, but hopefully fragreaver can help you with this.

post-331032-1251734600_thumb.png

post-331032-1251734607_thumb.png

Yes yes I have that too problem is it only plays stereo and passtrough doesnt work, however I am going to play with it a little. I already saw that thread you linked earlier today but since I am at work I can't test it. If I manage to make it work I will post some short guide here (incl. x64 bonjour). Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

楼主的配置跟我的电脑几乎一样! 哈哈~ 让我甚是开心呢!

@yird

Sorry - my knowledge doesn't stretch that far? :thumbsup_anim:

Okay, I repaired the permissions with Kext Helper and switched the SATA port of the system drive to SATA0. Let's see how long kittie lasts this time :)

Fingers crossed - let's see how kitty behaves now :thanks_speechbubble:

Yes yes I have that too problem is it only plays stereo and passtrough doesnt work, however I am going to play with it a little. I already saw that thread you linked earlier today but since I am at work I can't test it. If I manage to make it work I will post some short guide here (incl. x64 bonjour). Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

No problem. Good luck with the audio and if you do find out more about digital audio / SPDIF passthrough / AC3 etc, then I would like to know. I have a PC under my LCD TV for HDTV, Satellite TV, BluRay, AC3, DTS etc. So I do use it, just not on my hack. :)

Bonjour Networking is working with the kernel in both 32bit & 64bit mode without the need for RealtekR1000.kext See here.

This means you don't have to bother creating the 30MB Extensions.mkext which contained everything in /S/L/E and /E/E.

EDIT: I have updated the support files to include this.

just noticed something interesting on SL. when looking at the graphics/display section of the about this mac on SL quartz extreme no longer shows up, at all. on the previous 10.5 installs it always displayed quartz extreme supported followed by yes or no. has this piece of information been removed in SL?

anyone else notice this?

just noticed something interesting on SL. when looking at the graphics/display section of the about this mac on SL quartz extreme no longer shows up, at all. on the previous 10.5 installs it always displayed quartz extreme supported followed by yes or no. has this piece of information been removed in SL?

anyone else notice this?

Yes it's a known thing. Someone started a thread about it, but I don't think it's taken many responses. Generally we can tell if QE/CI is working without having to see it written ;)

PS. Well done creating a sig :)