Thinkpad T61 Leopard Installation Guide

Kanedo

36 posts in this topic

First, I'd like to thank everyone on this forum and other forums (infinitemac.com, thinkpads.com, msiwind.net) for their efforts. Without whom, I wouldn't have reached this far.

My Thinkpad is 15" T61 with Intel GMAX3100 video(1680x1050). This guide will also apply if you have a 14" T61 with Intel GMAX3100.

If you have one with Nvidia NVS140m, there isn't a current solution for your video chip yet.

First download the attached file and keep it handy to transfer to your Thinkpad after installation. You'll use most of the files in this zip file for this guide.

UPDATE:

Losing Ethernet after sleep has been resolved. I've repacked the zip file to include the new ethernet kext.

Installation

---

I used iPC 10.5.6 Universal Final.

Custom Options

- PS2 Keyboard Fix (choose only this one and not the PS2 mouse). This fix will enable your keyboard, touchpoint, and trackpad

- Intel 82566MM/DC Ethernet

- Applications (this will install many useful tools, some of which you'll need in this guide)

After installation is complete, you will want to boot with -s option to get to single user mode. You will need to do this because the default X3100 kexts will yield a black screen upon boot. We need to move them out of the Extension directory for now. Once you get to a prompt type in the following.

mount -uw /

this gives us write access to the OSX partition

mkdir /GMAX1056_backup

let's create a backup directory for the original X3100 kexts

mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX*.* /GMAX1056_backup

mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext /GMAX1056_backup

these two commands will backup your 10.5.6 X3100 + framebuffer kexts into our backup directory

exit

this will exit out of single user mode and continue booting without the video kexts

------

After exiting out of single user mode, you should have booted into OSX. From there on, you will want to create a username and password and possibly set your time zone and etc.

Now, you should in the OSX desktop at 1024x768 resolution. The first thing we want to do is install MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.8.pkg (you can get this from apple.com).

After installing 10.5.8 combo update, the system will reboot. Again we want to enter single user mode ( -s ) and move the 10.5.8 kexts to a backup directory. After you're at the prompt type in the following

mount -uw /

mkdir /GMAX1058_backup

mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMAX*.* /GMAX1058_backup

mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext /GMAX1058_backup

exit

Now you should be at OSX desktop with 1024x768 resolution again. If you've gotten this far, that means you've got 10.5.8 fully installed. Now it's time to apply kexts, EFI string, dsdt.aml, boot loader to get the rest of the components and features working.

---------

Custom DSDT + Hibernation(S4) fix

----

Install Chameleon 2.0RC2 with hibernation fix. Chameleon 2 allows us to use custom dsdt.aml (There's a bug in the default Chameleon 2.0RC2 that prevents hibernation image from loading. You can use the default one if you don't care about hibernation)

Brightness Control + Power Button

----

copy dsdt.aml to /

(this is a modified dsdt that enables brightness control and enables power button for sleep/reboot/shutdown menu)

In System Preferences->Keyboard & Mouse->Keyboard Shortcuts, assign brightness up and down to some function keys you desire. I used F1 and F2. At the moment, I haven't figured out how to get the Thinkpad Fn+Home and Fn+End hotkeys to control brightness yet.

CPU throttling and battery meter

---

Install VoodooPower.kext

Install VoodooBattery.kext

Sleep

----

Install sleepenabler.kext (this is needed for 10.5.8)

Audio (speakers+headphone)

----

Install AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and AppleHDA.kext

Using EFIStudio and AD1984-efi-string.plist, add the efistring to your com.apple.Boot.plist

If you don't want to mess with EFIStudio, you can do it the easy way and copy the com.apple.Boot.plist provided in the zip file to /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/

Video (QE+CI)

----

Install all the kexts from /GMAX1056_backup directory ( I couldn't get 10.5.8 X3100 kexts working, but the 10.5.6 ones work)

Install Natit.kext (this will enable the 10.5.6 kexts we just installed to work with your T61)

Ethernet

----

UPDATE: Use the Intel82566MM.kext found in the zip file. This fixes the sleep problem

SD Card reader

---

Install IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext

If your T61 LCD's native resolution is 1280x800 or 1440x900, then you're good to go. Reboot your system and skip the following section regarding 1680x1050 native resolution

------

If your T61 LCD's native resolution is 1680x1050, you got a few more things to do.

-Reboot and go into safe mode with (-x) boot option. The reason for this is that even though we've installed the X3100 + Natit kext, it actually won't work properly at that resolution (blue screen). The best I can get right now is 1600x1000.

- Once you're in safe mode, you'll be at 1680x1050 native resolution with a corrupted mouse pointer. With the corrupted mouse pointer, find your way into System Preferences->Display, and change your resolution to 1600x1000. You'll notice that your mouse pointer is no longer corrupted at this resolution. Now you can reboot normally and get QE+CI working at 1600x1000.

----

After the reboot, you'll have QE+CI working. Let's go and enable Quartz GL for additional performance enhancements.

- Open OSX86Tools, and click on Enable/Disable Quartz GL. This brings up a window that shows you the current Quartz GL status. Click Enable Quartz GL to enable this feature. Next time your reboot, you'll have this feature working.

There you go. That's everything I've gotten to work so far for 10.5.8. Here's a list of things that still doesn't work as I want and I'll be updating this thread when either myself or someone figures it out.

- 1680x1050 resolution with QE+CI ( I really would like to see this first )

- Working Thinkpad hotkeys ( Fn+whatever )

- Working middle Touchpoint button ( right now it doesn't do anything )

- Correct CPU speedstep frequencies (with VoodooPower, my 2.0GHZ Core 2 Duo only operates at a max of 1.8GHz)

--

Thinkpad_T61_files.zip

Kanedo,

Thank you VERY much for posting this info!. I had very good success using the iATKOS V7 Install and picked the same drivers you did.

The only thing was my Sleep function was not working and the one you provided in your zip file got it working, however as soon as it goes to sleep. A few seconds and it wakes right back up.

Can you tell me what you have in your Bios Settings? I know there are a number of triggers there that can be set on when to wake it from sleep.

Thanks again!

K,

I forgot to mention I did a system update and an running 10.5.8.

Just discovered another strange issue. My iATKOS allowed me to choice the VOODOO HDA driver for sound which works great.. but when the PC wakes from sleep any further sounds are garbled..

Just did and now the sound is working fine. The only issue I have and I assume you do as well is the Ethernet not working right after an attempt to sleep.

I reset my bios settings to default but anytime it tries to sleep it wakes right back up. Weird!

For ethernet after sleep, you can either manually execute the two following commands after sleep to bring the ethernet down and then up after sleep or use SleepWatcher and add those two commands into the wake script.

ifconfig en0 down
ifconfig en0 up

For sleep, I had the same problem as you did with 10.5.8, but sleepenabler.kext solved that problem for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents

I am a 100% MacOSX Noob! (lots of IT experience windows cisco etc... etc)
I have installed basic iATKOS v7 on a Lenovo t61 and have no network, wireless, keyboard, mouse, vid is poor...

You seem to have had success with your installs can I ask for suggestions on a different distribution or assistance in installing these kexts?

many thanks

Great Guide!

Let me start by saying I'm a total osx86 novice. I followed your guide and got everything setup but when I got to the point of installing the 10.5.6 backup kexts for the video I appear to have hit a snag. I installed both the backup kexts and the natit.kext, when I rebooted I got a black screen.

I installed these video kexts all at once, should I have install the 10.5.6 backups, rebooted and then installed the natit.kext? Like I said, I don't have much experience with this stuff and I don't know if I'm supposed to reboot between each kext install.

Also, I am not following what I'm supposed to do with your instructions on Brightness Control and Power button fix, it says: "copy dsdt.aml to /". Where should I be sending dsdt.aml to? Is "/" the root directory?

Finally, after I put the "com.apple.Boot.plist" systemconfiguration folder everything on my desktop disappered. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help you all can provide. Now I just need to go get an Atheros wireless card so I can actually use this OS without any restraints.

The T61 I've only has Intel PM965/GM965 graphics chipset. There is no nvidia or X3100 video chipset. Can I still the method listed by OP to install iPC 10.5.6 on the T61 ?

Never mind, I found my answer on intel site

Question: What is the difference between the GM965 and X3100?

Answer
The Mobile Intel® GM965 Express Chipset is the whole piece of silicon, including PCI Express, memory, and CPU interfaces along with the graphics accelerator. The Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 is just that part of the GM965 which is used for graphics.

Kanedo,
Thank you VERY much for posting this info!. I had very good success using the iATKOS V7 Install and picked the same drivers you did.

Unlike the iPC install done by Kanedo(great guide by the way, wish I had scene it sooner!), were you able to get the proper 1050 resolution working with your iAtkos installation on your T61?

I basically have this same laptop (Lenovo 6465-CTO x3100)

Any idea or explanation as to why the video would work perfectly when starting in safe mode, but when not in safe mode it get stuck at the blue screen? I read somewhere that there is a cache that could be provide corrupt information. I wonder if the cache that provides corrupt info could some how be automatically checked and then removed on every start up then that would be a work around. Perhaps the cache isn't accessed when in safe mode. Writing a script to do that is beyond my pay grade.

Thanks gnychis, I will check this out when I get home. I am installing this via the iPC 10.5.6 method. Not super comfortable with the method of 10.6

When you say 32 bit, are your referring to a 10.6 install method or does that apply to the iPC method. And if it does, how does one specify just 32 bit, and will that be a big perfomance dip from running win xp. My big tests that I am wanting to use this for is: PhotoShop After fx, and most importantly...final cut pro 6.

Thanks for you help.

I tried your package, it's a no go. But I don;t know how to specify 64 bit vs 32 bit drivers.

I also tried the method suggest here:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f36/intel-gma-x...x-10-5-6-t2527/

it was a no go too.

I think the trick is figuring out what glitch is between the safe mode and the normal startup. What's interesting is that the blue screen faded to black just now after about 5 min of not touching it. There is non-garbled pointer=curser towards the middle of screen, while the "garbled" pointer curser is also visible and responds to my touch pad movements. The black however remains and it looks like I will have to do a hard reset.

So close yet so far away.

Argg.

When booting with chameleon, hit tab and you will get something that looks like a command line. Type this on it: -legacy arch=i386

then hit enter... it will boot you in to 32-bit mode, otherwise it won't work.

however, a problem that I have is that if the screen blanks (whether I sleep the computer) or it blanks based on timing (without sleeping) ... when it comes back it is stretched with lines in it

- George

Been messing around some more and I am now getting the black screen too in 1600 x 1000 now that I am in 10.5.8 unless I am in safe mode and it is a blue screen in 1680x1050 unless I am in safemode.

I am using a lenovo t61 6465-CTO, perhaps anybody with a working t61 could post all the stuff in the extensions related to this x3100 and the frame buffer that is working? That would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

Is OSX 10.5.7 a bit more stable? Everything seems to work fine and then I apply the System Updates which brings me up to 10.5.8 and suddenly the VoodDoo Battery meter is working backwards. When it's 90% charged I get the warning about my battery being on reserve

macosx-reserve-power.png

Also the ethernet doesn't always seem to work after sleep but that may not be an exclusive 10.5.8 issue.

B.

Hello,

I have a T61. Successfully moved to 10.5.8 using Netkas method.

My sleep never worked till I upgraded and used sleepenabler.kext. However, now, I get a black screen whenever I Wake up from sleep.

I am using the stock GMAX3100.kext from the iATKOS7 disk.

Vikram

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Thinkpad T61with the NVidia NVS 140m.

I know I might not have the NVidia full support but I'll take what I can at this point. 1400x1050 resolution to begin with would be NICE.

Which would be the OSX / OSX86 Distro / Hack / Retail / Variant I should go for to install on this Thinkpad T61.

PATH OF LEAST EFFORT, LEAST RESISTANCE?