Install Leopard on Sony Vaio FW Laptop?

BlackForest

24 posts in this topic

Goal: I want to use Final Cut Pro with a Sony Vaio FW Laptop.

Questions: Can I install Leopard on the Sony Vaio FW Laptop that I customized below on Sony's website?

Will this work?

Customized Sony Vaio FW 16.4" Laptop

-------------------------------------------------

$2499.99

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9900 (3.06GHz)

Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit

Black

8GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 4GBx2)

128GB Solid State Drive

Blu-ray Disc™ playback/burning

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD4650 graphics card with 1GB vRAM-great for games and movies

16.4" widescreen with XBRITE-FullHD™ LCD technology (1920x1080)

----------------------------------------------------

In this forum you can find any drivers for Mac, for my laptop i got all of them except the wireless drivers is the Intel pro 3945 abg, but they are working on that. the best is check out all your laptop specification and then search around the forum, if you got problem let me know.

In this forum you can find any drivers for Mac, for my laptop i got all of them except the wireless drivers is the Intel pro 3945 abg, but they are working on that. the best is check out all your laptop specification and then search around the forum, if you got problem let me know.

Hello

I'm new here and I just joined the forum today.

Question!

I just got this system and I was wondering if iPC OSX 10.5.6 will work?

I need all the help I can get.

Thank you for your support.

Customization Details

• 16.4" widescreen with XBRITE-FullHD™ LCD technology (1920x1080)
  • 320GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [7200 rpm]
  • WLAN (802.11a/b/g/n) with integrated Bluetooth® technology
  • ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD4650 graphics card with 1GB vRAM-great for games and movies
  • Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8800 (2.66GHz)
  • Blu-ray Disc™ playback/burning
  • Black
  • Microsoft® Windows Vista® Ultimate 64-bit
  • 4GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 2GBx2)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Sorry for the bump, but i've got a Sony Vaio FW (250GB Harddrive, 4GB Ram, etc). I want to run Leopard/Snow Leopard on it. Any help? I'm a complete noob.

Yep - I got OS X to work on my Vaio FW. Just noticed you cant post links to external sites (strange), but here is a copy I made for my blog (so I dont forget how I did it). If your hardware is different, tread carefully!

INSTALLING OS X ON A SONY VGN-FW11E SERIES LAPTOP

Ever since working for an Apple Dealer years ago (Newcastle Computer Services plc �" I heard they went out of business recently, however I digress), I have always had a passing interest in Macs. I had need to use OS X so thought I would have a go installing it on my Sony FW Series laptop, rather than coughing up for a Mac PC (apologies Apple).

It wasn’t as easy I thought, but not too difficult either. Listed below are the outline steps you need to take to get you up and running.

Please note that this is aimed at a very specific configuration, and is only really of use to people with Sony FW Series laptops. If you try this on any other laptop, you do so at your own risk.

Before I go any further here is the specification of my Sony VGN-FW11E laptop:

• Processor �" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz
  • Wifi �" Intel Wifi Link 5100 AGN
  • Network Interface �" Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
  • Graphics �" ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3470
  • Display �" 1600px x 900px Resolution
  • Sound �" Intel High Definition Audio

Out of the box OS X (I used OS X 10.5.4) will install and run on this system.

I didn’t want to dump my existing Vista installation so I configured my system for dual boot as per instructions here �" http://dailyapps.net/2008/03/hack-attack-d...-windows-vista/). If you do this, you will need to resize and repartition your hard drive. I can recommend GParted Live for this. You can find it here �" (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php).

Tip of the day �" backup your partition/HD before you attempt a partition resize!

Please don’t ask me where to get OS X from. Search for the various OSX86 distributions such as Kalyway, iATKOS and iDeneb.

Once OS X was installed I found out that Bluetooth, the USB ports, the integrated trackpad and my external wireless Logitech mouse all worked fine.

However the following hardware didn’t configure or work at all:-

• Internal Display �" Defaults to low resolution (haven’t tried external)
  • Wifi �" Not working
  • Network Interface �" Not working
  • Sound �" Not working (just shows digital-out in system prefs > sound)

I did some investigation, and found out that apart from the WiFi I could get the above issues resolved. I have listed below the steps to get these items working.

INSTALL DISPLAY DRIVERS

The first thing to do is get the LCD panel working at full resolution. The Sony FW11E has an ATI Mobility HD 3470, and this is not supported at full resolution (on my FW laptop this is 1600 x900) out of the box.

One of the insanelymac forum guys has done great work to get the ATI framebuffer driver working (RadeonHD) in OS X and although it doesn’t have the visual bells and whistles such as QE/CI (Quartz Extreme, Core Image Graphics) it does the job.

The (very) long thread that discusses this driver is located here:-

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190586

I installed OS X 10.5.4 (Leopard) so I needed the RadeonHD 10.5 driver, if you have OS X 10.6 onwards (Snow Leopard) you will need the RadeonHD 10.6 driver. These drivers can be downloaded from the first page of the above post.

As this is a driver (in OS X terms a .kext or Kernel Extension) you will need someway of installing it. You can either install it manually if you have experience of Linux, this is not difficult, just use terminal and copy the .kext file to /System/Library/Extensions, making sure permissions and ownership is set correctly, the kext cache is purged and then restart.

An easier way is to download kexthelper. This is a little utility that will automatically install any required .kext for you as well as setting appropriate permissions etc. You can download this utility from http://cheetha.net/. Instructions on its use are on the website.

INSTALL WIFI DRIVER

As of November 2009 OS X drivers for the WiFi card in the Sony FW11E are not yet available. The card is an Intel WiFi link 5100 AGN. If anybody knows any different, please let me know.

INSTALL NIC DRIVER

The NIC on the Sony FW11E is a Marvell Yukon 88E8055, it is a PCI-E device and is Gigabit capable. There is a modified driver for this device.

You can download it from here �" http://www.mediafire.com/?nrk9zoxe9ks or do a search on Insanelymac for it.

Tech Info �" The modified driver changes a string in the AppleYukon.kext plugin file within the IONetworkingFamily.kext from a Marvell 88E8033 to 88E8055 as well as changing the string “IOPCIPrimaryMatch” to 0×436311ab (This being the pci/vendor ID 4363:11ab for the Yukon 88E8055).

CONFIGURE SOUND DRIVER

The Sony FW11E has an Intel High Definition Audio Controller (8086:293e) and a Realtek ALC262 codec (10ec:0262).

1. Remove AppleHDA.kext from /system/library/extensions (you may want to make a copy of it).
  2. Copy the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext to your desktop.
  3. Open AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist file that is now on your desktop in an editor (i.e. sudo pico “filename”). Search for “IOHDAudioCodecVendorID”, below it you will see the value “0×10ec0880” change this to “0×10ec0262 and save the file.
  4. Open AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist that is on your desktop in an editor. Search for “IOPCIPrimaryMatch”. Below this will be some values, change the first one (if there is more than one) to “0×293e8086” and save the file.
  5. Open kexthelper application and reinstall the modified AppleAzaliaController.kext that is on your desktop.
  6. Restart OS X and your speakers should now work.

I have seen some references on insanelymac.com about VoodooHDA.kext, but haven’t had a chance to try this out yet, you might want to investigate this as it may be a better solution than the one listed above.

SUMMARY

For me the main part was getting used to Mac terminology and finding my way around OS X for the first time. Definitely worth doing if you want to explore OS X and see if it is for you.

If you get stuck I would recommend www.insanelymac.com for further advice. You do have to trawl through the forums, but advice is there is you look for it.

Finally, why not buy a copy of OS X to support Apple (hey I know they don’t need your money) but what the heck you can buy OS X Snow Leopard from Amazon at the moment for just over £20.00 including shipping.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey I am running a Sony FW 455j/b the only thing diffrent is the video card (ati 4650)

after install I get gray apple screen then blank gray screen with random small color dashes

and I cant get past that I have been looking online and some people say that if they remove

all ati kexts it boots fine, but I'm not sure how to get to them to remove them.

If someone would be so kind as to give info on commands to find and remove them or tell

me if there is an option on install, I would be very grateful. Thanks

Update: Fixed and working.

EDIT: sorry, for the post about ethernet,, i just saw that you have it already covered. i leave it anyway

I have a fw51zf and i replaced my internal wi fi card with a broadcom bcm4322.

it works nice, and i think it has better receptoin than the intel5100.

although you have to have the wireless switch ON when you power on the notebook, or else it won;t work,

also, it gave me problems with the bluetooth.

the only way i found to activate bluetooth is to have all paired devices removed and then choose "add device",

from there the bt switches on and works normally. but for some kind of reason it is always swithed off when booting to leopard, and you can't switch it on via preferences.

@ deanflyer: i have 2 issues, can you help me:

1.does your audio solution give a working mic? if you plug headphones does it switch automatickly to them?

2. what have you done to have a working trackpad?

i haven't got multitouch or scrolling to work.

as for the ethernet , i did the following:

First find the subsys of your Ethernet card.

If you already have windows,

Open up Device Manager,

expand network adapters,

right click “marvell 88e8055 pci-e”, choose properties,

in the newly opened box,

choose the details tab,

choose “hardware ids” from the drop down menu,

there is something like

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_4363&SUBSYS_9035104D&REV_14

The number and letters after “SUBSYS_” and before the & symbol is what you ll need. Write it down, mine was 9035104D as you can see

Go to

/System/Library/Extensions

find the

IONetworkingFamily.kext

and copy it somewhere in your desktop.

right click the desktop copy,

choose "show package contents"

it opens in a new window,

go to contents/plugins,

find apple2yukon.kext,

right click it, "show package contents",

again in the newly opened window navigate to contents and find info.plist

open it with (textedit is the default program) and edit it

find the paragraph where it says

88E8055

Carefull now, not the 88E8055-B0

There find the lines

<key>IOPCISecondaryMatch</key>

<string>0x????????</string>

Replace the ???????? with your subsystem id

for reference mine secondary match was 9035104D. i have a fw51zf but I don’t think it matters.

so i edited mine from

<string>0x00ba11ab</string>

to

<string>0x9035104D</string>

after you finish editing the info.plist,

just close and save everything.

Now you should have a modified ionetworking.kext file on your desktop. Use it to replace the original ionetworking. file (if you want you can keep a back up of the original).

it will ask you for your password to replace it, do it.

then open the kext utility, let it to its job, and when it finishes quit that utility

then open disk utility. (it is a program of the osx, you can find it in the spotlight, or in applications->utilities

choose the partition on which you have the osx installed,

and press the "repair permissions" button.

it will do its work for a couple of minutes. after it completes

and probably after some seconds, the system will give you a notice something like "ethernet

found" and you are ok.

A quick note here: If you have difficulties editing a system file, like the info.plist i.e. copy it somewhere else, edit it and then replace the original with the your desired one, it ll only asks your password once.

@joseph clark

when you see a countdown during boot, stop it by pressing any key,

then press "-x -f -v" (without the quotes) and you should be able to gen into leopard.

then press the finder (the first button on the left on the "taskbar"

navigate to your installation partition, /system/library/extensions

and deete all kext files starting with ati

• 3 weeks later...
ditto on the 4650, just got a fw-510f and wanted to get an osx/logic/protools situation going. if there was a way to get the 5100 wifi working, i'd really love that.

Hello from Greece :) i Have sony Vaio Vgn-fw41zj_h i tryed to put Leopard.. i have without Wi-fi

now i m in the step about snow leopard.. i dont know if to be in the end.. i have tryed more than 10 times is MORE than

Difficult.. i can Unterstan about Ati 4650 cards post.. if someone can explain me step by step i thanks a lot them..

Sorry about my bad English any help is very important for me becose i m 45 years old and i havend more time to try more thinks ! heheheh Thanks Gys.. :)

• 1 month later...

Hello,

i have http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-fw-series/vgn-fw51zf-h

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9600

8 GB DDR2 SDRAM (2x4GB)

500GB Serial ATA

Blu-ray Disc™ Drive (reader/writer): BD-R/-RE/-ROM/ DVD+-RW/+-R DL/RAM Drive

X-black LCD with multiple lamp with FULL HD

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4650 Graphics

Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

my question is can i install successfuly Snow Leopard (with all drivers) and can you give me some guid?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have a VAIO VGN-FW351J

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6400 2Ghz

4 GB DDR2 SDRAM

320Gb Serial ATA

Intel GMA 4500 MHD Graphics

Would it be compatible to install the Leopard OS? Which drivers should I choose from the installation?

• 2 months later...
I have a VAIO VGN-FW351J

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6400 2Ghz

4 GB DDR2 SDRAM

320Gb Serial ATA

Intel GMA 4500 MHD Graphics

Would it be compatible to install the Leopard OS? Which drivers should I choose from the installation?

I have an VGN-FW370j and Im having problems as well.

My keyboard is stuck, and the screen res is horrible. and I cant go into mac info.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi i have a vaio VGNFW455D laptop. i wanna try installing mac on it. I see that u were successful with installing mac on ur vaio, so i wanted to know which distribution did u use?

I had previously tried installing kalway but no success. Could you guide me into the right direction?

thanks

Yep - I got OS X to work on my Vaio FW. Just noticed you cant post links to external sites (strange), but here is a copy I made for my blog (so I dont forget how I did it). If your hardware is different, tread carefully!

INSTALLING OS X ON A SONY VGN-FW11E SERIES LAPTOP

Ever since working for an Apple Dealer years ago (Newcastle Computer Services plc �" I heard they went out of business recently, however I digress), I have always had a passing interest in Macs. I had need to use OS X so thought I would have a go installing it on my Sony FW Series laptop, rather than coughing up for a Mac PC (apologies Apple).

It wasn’t as easy I thought, but not too difficult either. Listed below are the outline steps you need to take to get you up and running.

Please note that this is aimed at a very specific configuration, and is only really of use to people with Sony FW Series laptops. If you try this on any other laptop, you do so at your own risk.

Before I go any further here is the specification of my Sony VGN-FW11E laptop:

• Processor �" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26GHz
  • Wifi �" Intel Wifi Link 5100 AGN
  • Network Interface �" Marvell Yukon 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet
  • Graphics �" ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3470
  • Display �" 1600px x 900px Resolution
  • Sound �" Intel High Definition Audio

Out of the box OS X (I used OS X 10.5.4) will install and run on this system.

I didn’t want to dump my existing Vista installation so I configured my system for dual boot as per instructions here �" http://dailyapps.net/2008/03/hack-attack-d...-windows-vista/). If you do this, you will need to resize and repartition your hard drive. I can recommend GParted Live for this. You can find it here �" (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php).

Tip of the day �" backup your partition/HD before you attempt a partition resize!

Please don’t ask me where to get OS X from. Search for the various OSX86 distributions such as Kalyway, iATKOS and iDeneb.

Once OS X was installed I found out that Bluetooth, the USB ports, the integrated trackpad and my external wireless Logitech mouse all worked fine.

However the following hardware didn’t configure or work at all:-

• Internal Display �" Defaults to low resolution (haven’t tried external)
  • Wifi �" Not working
  • Network Interface �" Not working
  • Sound �" Not working (just shows digital-out in system prefs > sound)

I did some investigation, and found out that apart from the WiFi I could get the above issues resolved. I have listed below the steps to get these items working.

INSTALL DISPLAY DRIVERS

The first thing to do is get the LCD panel working at full resolution. The Sony FW11E has an ATI Mobility HD 3470, and this is not supported at full resolution (on my FW laptop this is 1600 x900) out of the box.

One of the insanelymac forum guys has done great work to get the ATI framebuffer driver working (RadeonHD) in OS X and although it doesn’t have the visual bells and whistles such as QE/CI (Quartz Extreme, Core Image Graphics) it does the job.

The (very) long thread that discusses this driver is located here:-

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190586

I installed OS X 10.5.4 (Leopard) so I needed the RadeonHD 10.5 driver, if you have OS X 10.6 onwards (Snow Leopard) you will need the RadeonHD 10.6 driver. These drivers can be downloaded from the first page of the above post.

As this is a driver (in OS X terms a .kext or Kernel Extension) you will need someway of installing it. You can either install it manually if you have experience of Linux, this is not difficult, just use terminal and copy the .kext file to /System/Library/Extensions, making sure permissions and ownership is set correctly, the kext cache is purged and then restart.

An easier way is to download kexthelper. This is a little utility that will automatically install any required .kext for you as well as setting appropriate permissions etc. You can download this utility from http://cheetha.net/. Instructions on its use are on the website.

INSTALL WIFI DRIVER

As of November 2009 OS X drivers for the WiFi card in the Sony FW11E are not yet available. The card is an Intel WiFi link 5100 AGN. If anybody knows any different, please let me know.

INSTALL NIC DRIVER

The NIC on the Sony FW11E is a Marvell Yukon 88E8055, it is a PCI-E device and is Gigabit capable. There is a modified driver for this device.

You can download it from here �" http://www.mediafire.com/?nrk9zoxe9ks or do a search on Insanelymac for it.

Tech Info �" The modified driver changes a string in the AppleYukon.kext plugin file within the IONetworkingFamily.kext from a Marvell 88E8033 to 88E8055 as well as changing the string “IOPCIPrimaryMatch” to 0×436311ab (This being the pci/vendor ID 4363:11ab for the Yukon 88E8055).

CONFIGURE SOUND DRIVER

The Sony FW11E has an Intel High Definition Audio Controller (8086:293e) and a Realtek ALC262 codec (10ec:0262).

1. Remove AppleHDA.kext from /system/library/extensions (you may want to make a copy of it).
  2. Copy the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext to your desktop.
  3. Open AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/Info.plist file that is now on your desktop in an editor (i.e. sudo pico “filename”). Search for “IOHDAudioCodecVendorID”, below it you will see the value “0×10ec0880” change this to “0×10ec0262 and save the file.
  4. Open AppleAzaliaAudio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAzaliaController.kext/Contents/Info.plist that is on your desktop in an editor. Search for “IOPCIPrimaryMatch”. Below this will be some values, change the first one (if there is more than one) to “0×293e8086” and save the file.
  5. Open kexthelper application and reinstall the modified AppleAzaliaController.kext that is on your desktop.
  6. Restart OS X and your speakers should now work.

I have seen some references on insanelymac.com about VoodooHDA.kext, but haven’t had a chance to try this out yet, you might want to investigate this as it may be a better solution than the one listed above.

SUMMARY

For me the main part was getting used to Mac terminology and finding my way around OS X for the first time. Definitely worth doing if you want to explore OS X and see if it is for you.

If you get stuck I would recommend www.insanelymac.com for further advice. You do have to trawl through the forums, but advice is there is you look for it.

Finally, why not buy a copy of OS X to support Apple (hey I know they don’t need your money) but what the heck you can buy OS X Snow Leopard from Amazon at the moment for just over £20.00 including shipping.

• 2 months later...

Dear All,

I'm using a Vaio FW46GJ, but I having problem booting up after the installation.

I managed to patch the OSInstall.mpkg and the OSInstall in order to install on a MBR, but that's all I did. Did I miss any important steps?

After the installlation, I'm getting the missing DSDT.aml error when I attempt to boot using -x -v.

I have Restore the retail disc into my USB, but after the OS X is installed, the option isnt avaiable from the boot disc i downloaded here anymore. How do I go about patching the missing file? Is it posssible to do it without access to a Mac?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Zuff

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

I have a VAIO VPCF12

Intel Core i5

6Go RAM

Did anyone tried to instal MAC OS on that stuf ?

Thanks

Hi there,

Last night I managed to install, and reboot, 10.6.5. on my Sony Vaio VPCF12S1E/B laptop. This week I will try to finish the install by trying to get LAN, WLAN and Graphics to work properly.

IF it works I will post how I did it.

My Vaio specs are:

Sony Vaio VPC-F12S1E/B

Display: 16.4" Full HD (1920x1080) 16:9 VAIO Display Premium

Processor: Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73 GHz

Memory: 6 GB (2x3GB) DDR3-1333, max. 8 GB

HDD: 500 GB SATA 7200 rpm

Optical drive: Blu-ray Disc ROM and SuperMulti-DVD

Graphics: nVidia GeForce GT 330M 1 GB

LAN: Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/b/g/n WLAN, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

Ports: 2 x USB 2.0, 1 x eSATA/USB, HDMI, VGA, headphone, mic, RJ45, i.LINK (IEEE1394), optical audio, ExpressCard/34

Misc: Motion Eye webcamera, memerycard reader (MS/SD), multitouch-touchpad

Battery: Sony VGP-BPS21A Li-Ion

Hopefully this will help you a bit.

Cheers.

• 3 months later...
IF it works I will post how I did it.

How did that go? I'm trying to put 10.6.3 on my laptop, but I can't even boot into the retail disk. I tried [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], another method I found on the forums here and creating a flash drive version of the iinstall disk as well (I got the farthest using this last method, but then apparently got a kernel panic).

I'm looking for some advice...

• 3 years later...

BTW, anyone with an ATI Mobility Radeon 4650, you can get it to work by using the RadeonHD.kext available at Dong's thread.

Make sure that you are booting in 32bit mode (with the Chameleon boot loader, use the flag "arch=i386" without the quotes to boot in just 32bit), and remove any injectors (I didn't have any so idk). Next, dunk RadeonHD.kext into the /System/Library/Extensions directory and fix the everything with kext utility or something similar.

After a reboot, your mouse is going to look like somebody vomited pixels into the general area of your cursor. Fix this by opening RadeonHD.kext, going into Contents, then editing Info.plist and changing enableHWCursor to false. Re-copy to /S/L/E and re-kext-utility. You should be rippin' at this point.