Asus Rampage II Extreme (i7+X58): Questions, answers and sollutions to Retail install!

Felix_ro

41 posts in this topic

Succeeded with vanilla snow leopard install.

First of all, my bios version is 1639.

Rampage ii extreme. i7 920. 12gb main memory. Radeon 5770.

LG blueray ODD (connected to 6th sata port)

sata 1 -> 500gb seagate (macos)

sata 2 -> 500gb seagate (windows 7)

sata 3 -> 1.5tb seagate

3rd pci express slot (set as 8x8) -> highpoint rocketraid 2320 (has mac driver) connected to 6 hard drives

What I did.

* restore retail snow leopard (10.6) image to 8gb flash

* Install chameleon v2 rc4 on this flash

* Install some kext under /extra/extensions. (mostly from rampage ii gene guide, but used fakeSMC)

Here be careful not to install extensions for 10.6.2

* Do not put any dsdt, plist files. I tried with dsdt but it always gave me kernel panic. Without these, no problem to install 10.6. You can deal with them after installation finishes.

* Boot from usb, it gave me installer screen.

* After installer, choose language and disk uitlity. In my case, because of raid card, disk utility hangs (later solved, after installation, driver issue) So I formatted hard drive using diskuitl under terminal JHFS+.

* After installation finishes, before reboot, bring terminal and install chameleon v2 rc4 to target volume.

* Now reboot, you should have mac desktop. Little tweaking here. drivers and kext. I've made dsdt and plist files as well. If you want to have this. (bios 1639). I will upload it.

* update to 10.6.2. (be careful with sleepenabler, search forum. used fakeSMC)

Everything works except my graphic card is working in vesa mode.

After I installed brother scanner driver, I am having shutdown issue. (need to investigate).

When you boot from flash, try -v or -v -x.

If it is not working, I am glad to help you. Show me the message from -v. And sorry for my poor english.

I am going to try this out. I am having a pain installing MAC OS X on this mother board.

My configuration:

ASUS RAMPGE II EXTREME

12GB DDR3 RAM

1TB hard drive

NVidia GTX 275

I am restoring the original Snow Leopard Install DVD to my 16gb USB flash drive now..... if I come across a problem, I hope you or someone else is here to help me !

I am going to try this out. I am having a pain installing MAC OS X on this mother board.

My configuration:

ASUS RAMPGE II EXTREME

12GB DDR3 RAM

1TB hard drive

NVidia GTX 275

I am restoring the original Snow Leopard Install DVD to my 16gb USB flash drive now..... if I come across a problem, I hope you or someone else is here to help me !

@netgo

What kexts are you using??

I restored Snow Leopard to my USB Flash Drive and installed Chameleon RC4 but I can't get passed -v flag. It stops one line after "dsmos has arrived" Also it says systemshutdown false or did not start. I will see what it says next time i boot up with -v

@netgo

I restored Snow Leopard to my USB Flash Drive and installed Chameleon RC4 but I can't get passed -v flag. It stops one line after "dsmos has arrived" Also it says systemshutdown false or did not start. I will see what it says next time i boot up with -v

I do -v -x and this is where it starts to slow down

Bug: launchctl.c:2325 (23930):30: (dbfd = open(g_job_overrides_db_path, O_RDONLY | O_EXLOCK | O_CREAT, S_IRUSR | S_IWUSR)) != -1

systemShutdown false

NVDANV50HAL loaded and registered.

Previous Shutdown Cause: 3

DSMOS has arrived

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

When I boot with -x, it goes to apple logo screen (white screen with apple sign) and a spinning wheel on bottom (which never stops spinning)

@netgo

I do -v -x and this is where it starts to slow down

When I boot with -x, it goes to apple logo screen (white screen with apple sign) and a spinning wheel on bottom (which never stops spinning)

any luck yet , install with a breeze all working.

any luck yet , install with a breeze all working.

I just got it to install. I'm not sure what kexts I'm using but what did the trick was changing my GTX 275 to GeForce 6600 LE using NVinject.kext.

The thing I need to figure out is how to get my GTX 275 Working / My Ethernet / Audio problems.

But I'm glad I got it to install.

What kexts did you use?

• 4 months later...

It's a pain for me to install OS X on this board...

I'm stuck on:

** AppleSMBusPCI::start failed to get acpi path for provider
Previous Shutdown Causes: 0
DSMOS has arrived
ACPI_SNC_PlatformPlugin::pushCPU_CSTData - _CST evaluation failed

AppleTyMCEDriver::start coreVIDPID = 0xffffffff Number of packages = 1 Number of cpus = 1

And then it crashes.

I've tried to edit DSDT to give the ID to the LPC device...

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x02)
					{
						"device-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				MCDP (Arg2, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}

Nothing... Maybe a different number?

Help please.

Any suggestions?

Here you go. :)

Working DSDT (by The_King), Kexts collected by me and created by their relevant authors.

http://hotfile.com/dl/49672461/6dc1667/R2E_Files.zip.html

This was used on my R2E with Netkas' PC-EFI 10.6 but if you use AnVAL or AsereBLN booter you can remove a few kexts and rebuild the mkext. :)

OMG... Thank you very much!

Sooo... This won't work with Chameleon 2.0 RC4?

I'll install PC-EFI 10.6 now. Arrgh, I've been at this for 3 days now. I hope I'll get it to work now.

Use AsereBLN v1.1.9 as the bootloader. :) Then you can remove the PlatformUUID Kext and a few others. :)

Do you maybe have a guide to do that? I'm not familiar with AsereBLN. Actually, I'm not familiar with anything.

Should I first install AsereBLN to the disk and then restore a retail OS X on it or?

EDIT:

Found it...

http://aserebln.blogspot.com/search/label/10.6

Use AsereBLN v1.1.9 as the bootloader. :unsure: Then you can remove the PlatformUUID Kext and a few others. ;)

With your files (and AsereBLN v1.1.9 with Chameleon 2.0 RC4) I'm getting this:

** AppleSMBusPCI::start failed to get acpi path for provider
Previous Shutdown Cause: 0
DSMOS has arrived
ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
AppleTyMCEDriver::start coreVIDPID = 0xffffffff Number of packages = 1 Number of cpus = 1 memory monitor trough MCA

And then the screen goes blank.

It seems it's waiting for the GPU kext, but I can't seem to solve this. I've got nVidia GTX295.

I've tried turning GraphicsEnable On and Off, with On I get this error:

post-368674-1277130025_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...