Time Machine won't configure.

3 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

This might be a weird question to post here considering this forum is more geared to using OSX with non-Apple hardware but I have a problem the users of this forum might have more experience in remedying than others.

I own a MBP that somewhere along the line the built-in NIC broke. I never noticed since I am always on wireless so who knows how long its been broken for. In any case it doesn't show up anymore, it is as if it doesn't exist in my system.

Recently I tried to setup Time Machine on this laptop and received this error message:

"time machine could not be configured. the built-in network interface could not be found."

I then realized my problem was the internal NIC is shot and Time Machine is looking for its MAC address in order to setup the backup volume.

The error reported in Console by Time Machine is:

"_CSBackupGetMachineMACAddress - IOServiceGetMatchingServices did not find an ethernet service with kIOPrimaryInterface true"

My assumption is that since the only NIC I have is the wireless Airport card and it is a removable mini type card that the key for "IOBuiltin" is false and as such isn't the primary interface. I tried changing the value manually in the NetworkInterfaces.plist to true but it doesn't work and when you restart it changes it back to false.

I read a lot on this forum about "kext" files and etc and some that would fix similar issues with different hardware but they were mostly prepackaged files, nothing that could steer me in the direction of correcting this on my own.

I'm guessing what I need to do is find a way to set the IOPrimaryInterface key to true for my Airport card so I can setup Time Machine and not have to replace the logic board in my MBP.

If anyone can help me out with this I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for your time.

justvisiting,

Thank you very much for your reply, I read up on your suggestion and it made sense however my Airport is already an IEEE80211 entry so the "IOBuiltin" is already bypassed, that's why I don't get the UUID host error. Regardless I went on faith and added the recommended code to the NetworkInterfaces.plist but after restart Time Machine reported the same error. ;)

I guess the problem is that no interface is currently taking ownership and saying "I am the Primary Interface!", that's why Time Machine craps out.

I really appreciate your help, please keep your suggestions coming.