MACBOOK BENCHMARKS! Will Black pricing LAST?

retroz

14 posts in this topic

Here is the link

http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/firstlooks...bench/index.php

I'm wondering, I have a friend that has a G4 1.67 and uses it for final cut, motion, etc, the Macbook smokes it..however, wondering without the dedicated GPU, would it still run these programs??

Also, am wondering if the pricing for the BLACK Macbook will last - there are already reports of flaking from the paint.

Thoughts?

Oh dear Apple...

They are having so many problems with their new line of laptops... What have/i] they done wrong? Perhaps they are buying from cheap manufacturers = less quality goods...

Call me an ass, but how is "oh dear apple" relevant to the original poster's question? So far, I've only seen one report of flaking paint -- so it could be an isolated incident. This early in the game, I'd be hesitant to say that it is a widespread problem. It will still run Final Cut -- with plenty of RAM (say 2gb or so) it should run very, very well. Perhaps not as well as on a macbook pro, but exponentially better than on a G4 PowerBook. (for the price you're saving versus the MBP, the slight (if any?) performance hit should be negligible)

This was expected and people flocking to buy macs at intial realease day are only beta testing for the rest of us...

never never buy a mac the same day it comes out as a matter of fact

buy a mac after several revisions are realeased.

is like people complain about windows being so slowly upgraded and mac like linus being upgraded constantly-but macs fail at having a fully working computer off the bat is like microsoft lacks in software and mac in hardware they should just join is like day and night between them.

and i have heard 5 cases where the paint is already flaking bad in apples part to charge a premium for black yet dont provide high quality material if this would have been windows-image the reviews

this is pissing me off.. a month after signing up for the ipower service and still havent got credit for it!!!
Call me an ass, but how is "oh dear apple" relevant to the original poster's question? So far, I've only seen one report of flaking paint -- so it could be an isolated incident. This early in the game, I'd be hesitant to say that it is a widespread problem. It will still run Final Cut -- with plenty of RAM (say 2gb or so) it should run very, very well. Perhaps not as well as on a macbook pro, but exponentially better than on a G4 PowerBook. (for the price you're saving versus the MBP, the slight (if any?) performance hit should be negligible)

So true, pianoman. And after seeing how easy it is to swap out Ram and harddrives, it's easily possible for it to handle tasks like that.

First, $200 from 1.83 to 2.00 ghz, silly, this is what Intel used to do BEFORE AMD stepped into the picture...so a white 2.0 is $1299.

For black and a little larger HD, it's another $200, and with flaking too, to boot.

Do you really think the black will stay at those prices?

Also, no USB on right side, a little HEAVY, not nearly as light as you would expect.....was hoping for something like the coorprate DELL machines (about 3lbs.)

Again, how long do you think the pricing will stay? Especially the $200 for black seeing how you could use the extra $400 to buy a 7200 RPM drive and 2 GB of dual channel memory....

First, $200 from 1.83 to 2.00 ghz, silly, this is what Intel used to do BEFORE AMD stepped into the picture...so a white 2.0 is $1299.

For black and a little larger HD, it's another $200, and with flaking too, to boot.

Do you really think the black will stay at those prices?

Also, no USB on right side, a little HEAVY, not nearly as light as you would expect.....was hoping for something like the coorprate DELL machines (about 3lbs.)

Again, how long do you think the pricing will stay? Especially the $200 for black seeing how you could use the extra $400 to buy a 7200 RPM drive and 2 GB of dual channel memory....

You do get dual layer burn support with that $200.00 but it's still too much

I agree the prices for the black macbook won't last. Black ipods are of no price difference with the white ones...do you think it costs more to make the macbook black, yellow, green or blue? if it does it's a couple cents. Personally i'm waiting for the newer intel cores in the second half of the year and possibly the release of leopard before i buy my macbook. for the time being, my blackbox mactel and my dell laptop mactel will have to hold me until that day comes. Hopefully when it does roll around the prices remain stable and we have more options to pick what we want alittle more.

I'm wondering, I have a friend that has a G4 1.67 and uses it for final cut, motion, etc, the Macbook smokes it..however, wondering without the dedicated GPU, would it still run these programs??

It would run them....

I dunno, if he doesn't need to edit 720p in real time he should be fine, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try before you buy; he ought to get a feel for it.

Dedicated GPU is mostly useful for when you need the video results RIGHT NOW (and that mostly helps the games department because of the 3D acceleration the GPU's provide these days). If I'm not mistaken (I could be), it's the CPU throughput that matters for the most part in the video editing programs.

A price drop somewhere down the production line doesn't necessarily equate to a price drop for the final product, unfortunately. Sales tend to drive that more than anything else... but I think there's a possibility they might try to sneak the price back down on the low end of MacBooks (because 3 digits is cooler than 4 to low-end buyers).

A price drop somewhere down the production line doesn't necessarily equate to a price drop for the final product, unfortunately. Sales tend to drive that more than anything else... but I think there's a possibility they might try to sneak the price back down on the low end of MacBooks (because 3 digits is cooler than 4 to low-end buyers).

Agree.

I think the memron will become the MBP, OSX should gain ground on PC's, especially with Vista Delay, and I think the MB as Black should be 999 with 2.0 and GMA and DVD Burner and Dedicated GPU 1200....

This is more in line with current trends and Apple would indeed grow.

They can push the dual dual cores as MBP and quad core memrons, which will be cheaper than the quad G5, will run circles around the G5.

The MB should be able to game and edit.

The MBP should do the above but basically a workstation portable.

The G6 should be the workhorse.

The should all link together.

By the way, does the MB and all the intelMACS work with NODE concept, (in Steinberg and PC worlds, this is what we call either FX Teleport or Steinbergs VST Link), linking several computers to say farm out Orchestral Scores, and LARGE MIDI SAMPLE instruments.

Thanks.

The only thing holding many musicians back right now (many moved to PC due to AMD and Gigastudio) is the lack of programs for the MAC. This should be solved soon enough. If gigastudio where to say go MAC OS X and Digidesign where to open up tracks, support native VST instruments, and OSX ran .exe programs withing MAC OS, my GOODNESS. This would be HUGE!