Qoopz 9.8.0 v2 kernel - based on Voodoo

maya77

53 posts in this topic

Thanks. I tried osx86tools multiple times. It makes a backup of the kernel, but after reboot I go back to check and see which one it's using, it's still using 9.7.0.

Then I realized the iATKOS boot plist defines the kernel as "custom" - I renamed that to mach_kernel and now it work. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
No need to delete Dropbox. Go in to

/Applications/Dropbox/Contents/Resources/

and delete the file FinderLoadCM. If you can't do this on startup because Dropbox starts up before you can delete the file, you will have to delete it in single user mode (-s boot flag).

Thanks a lot boba899, you just saved my day...

• 4 weeks later...

Qoopz 9.8.0 get's crashing always until dual (only!) cores based AMD mobile processor get's hot enough (on single core ones it isn't happening ever).

maybe, before that happened it seems like frequency is floating and doesn't match sync between cores, so kernel panic on some miss-sync operations. and so we are having different tasks crashing during the boot, but only until that. and so when it get's hot enought it starts working fine for a while (during one session), and even after that it's fine to reboot and nothing will crash anymore.

please confirm anybody having same behavior.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
snokarver, install the Kernel with pcwiz osxtools.

http://code.google.com/p/osx86tools/

how to install with this program? several options

1 backup 2 restore from 3 (have to look later; at work)

I used the other method to copy and rename then edit ///Boot.plist and when installing pkg's or dmg's Kernel Panic's.

Using the method in the PDF, causes kernel panics when updating. Cannot change name to specified: mach_kernel_voodoo2 or .voodoo2, with a symlink: ln -s "no go at this station"

better to have the fix proper and use the name given: mach_kernel

switched back to 9.5, also the same problem when I tried to update to 10.5.8

thanks

i have installed this kernel on an iAtkos install, running on 10.5.8 on an medion MD8800.

All running fine except sleep is nor working anymore.

It goes in some kind of sleep..processor sleeps, fans still running. If you try to wake up it won't work

and you have to restart.

Anyway other than that it's fine.

Any idias on the sleep issue

k9fkw0.jpg

9.8.0 v2 kernel by Qoopz - based on Voodoo - for Intel/AMD/i7.

Download:

http://rapidshare.com/files/266666710/Vood....XNU.980.v2.zip

this kernel works for me :( though i have an issue with this. i CAN NOT boot without cpus=1 and busratio=20 :P and hence only one core of my system is running :wacko: any solution for it? if i skip cpus=1 i get a panic saying something like

"(CPU 7 Caller) Local Epic Error: ESR......... loapic.c " -_-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It works great!!

My CPU is Pentium 4 3.0GHz with HT enabled.

To lnerrrka:

Manually installing a kernel

You can manually install install a kernel by following the instructions below. In order for the system to work properly you will need to have a kernel & system.kext with matching versions. Hopefully you already know which kernel version you have downloaded and generally these packages include a matching system.kext. If you would like to

1. Make a backup copy of your existing kernel and name it mach_kernel.backup

cp -r /mach_kernel /mach_kernel.backup

</div>2. Copy the new kernel from your USB thumb drive to the root directory

cp -r /Volumes/usbdrive/mach_kernel /mach_kernel

3. Correct ownership for all kernels

chown root:wheel /mach_kernel*

4. Correct permissions for all kernels

chmod 644 /mach_kernel*

From here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...hp/t149406.html

I said it worked great yesterday, but then I encounter a problem.

I installed stock System.kext for 9.8.0 , when I rebooted, I got a kernel panic with this message "Unable to find driver for this platform: ACPI"

I read the voodoo documentation, it said it's because I didn't clear the kext caches. Later I cleared the caches, but I still got the same error message.

Then I thought maybe I should install the stock AppleACPIplatform.kext for 9.8.0 too, so I restored the Extensions folder, installed the System.kext and AppleACPIplatform.kext, cleared the caches and rebooted, but I still got the same error.

Can anyone running 10.5.8 with Qoopz 9.8.0 v2 kernel upload your System.kext and AppleACPIplatform.kext? or any other ideas?

Hi, my problem is solved.

The reason I wanted to install the new System.kext is because I read somewhere that this could fix the problem of not detecting USB hardwares.

But then I deleted AppleHPET.kext and everything worked perfectly.

Hope this would help someone with the same problem.

• 3 weeks later...
k9fkw0.jpg

9.8.0 v2 kernel by Qoopz - based on Voodoo - for Intel/AMD/i7.

Download:

http://rapidshare.com/files/266666710/Vood....XNU.980.v2.zip

Thank you for responding Maya... I am still a bit confused. I downloaded the Qoopz 9.8 kernel from the link provided on the page you sent. I unzipped the file and double clicked on the folder and there are 3 files and one PATCH folder. So I am assuming that I am to rename the mach-kernel file and drop that one in to my root folder? There are no other files other than that one that resembles anything like the actual mach_kernel.

Thank you for all your help.

• 2 months later...

Sorry, nevermind, I messed up. (And also deleted my previous post when I thought there where no replies. It said something like "why is there a 9.5.0 kernel in the 9.8.0 zip file?")

Let me explain (for all to learn).

I tried to install Qoopz 9.8.0 using osx86tools, but after reboot uname -a still gave 9.5.0. I tried again, same happened. Tried to update mach_kernel manually, still nothing. At this point, mach_kernel and mach_kernel.new where exactly the same size as mach_kernel.backup (already overwritten by osx86tools), which made me mistakingly think the file included here was the old one.

It turned out my kernel wasn't loaded from mach_kernel but from mach_kernel.voodoo by Chameleon. Doh!

• 2 weeks later...

Right so.. I'm new to the whole mac thing and i have no idea how to install a new kernel. I am currently running 10.5.8 on AMD Phenom II x2 550. I have got everything working except this new kernel. I'm running 9.5.0 i think and if i don't type 'busratio=20' at boot i get a kernel panic. Also when i try and install an application i get a panic so i guess i need to update to 9.8.0. I have no idea how too though.