13 replies to this topic

xtraa

xtraa

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts
Hi,

I am just sitting here and playing with the thought of getting me a .mac account. They say it is about 99 bucks p.a. and if I understood it right, there is no way to simply order just an email account for 15$€, you have to be a full member, right?

So the thought of a short email adress with .mac and less spam plus 2 gigs sounds nice, although I am ok with my gmail acc. The iDisk and shared bookmark features also sounds good, but is it really woth th 9 $€ per month? Do you use it? An if so, would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance for your opinions :)

xtraa

xtraa

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,051 posts
Ok thanks,

it does not seem to be like that.

Shimms

Shimms

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
You can get a trial and see if you like it.

I found being able to photocast from iPhoto easily was very cool.

B612

B612

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Ok thanks,

it does not seem to be like that.

I have tried it for 60 days (afterwards it expired). It's useful, but I wouldn't spend 9 $ per month for something like that. It's comfortable to be able to synchronize your computer from time to time, especially having a hackintosh, but about the rest, you can do everything with gmail, for free ;)

Ouch

Ouch

Weee, what a predicament!

• Retired
  • 1,190 posts
If you join the trial and it expires your .mac id still seems to work for sign on to the apple forums and ichat etc.

MacSpaces

MacSpaces

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
i have a family pack if you want paypal me 30 bucks and you have a sub account
with idisk and all the utilitys .mac have to offer way cheaoer then waht i paid for
i have 4 sub accounts so if anybody is interested let me know....

xtraa

xtraa

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • 1,051 posts
Hey, thanks a lot for your infos :D I think I will give it a try then with a trial account to check how useful it is. Would be a nice option, if the .mac mail-addy will still work after the 60days. Also photocasting seems to be nice although flickr is not that system integrated like iphoto.

Ouch

Ouch

Weee, what a predicament!

• Retired
  • 1,190 posts
The mail address won't work.

John the Geek

John the Geek

When the going gets geeky...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Interests:Painting, animation, photography, Macs.
I have several Macs and the .Mac sync more than pays for it. I sync my address book, bookmarks, Yojimbo passwords and serial numbers, all across 3 or 4 Macs. My stuff is always on the machine I want it to be on... with no effort.

=)

Metrogirl

Metrogirl

Resistance is futile...

• Retired
  • 1,177 posts
I probably wouldn't have paid up for .mac if my company hadn't funded it (I persuaded them it was important for my work) - but now I have it, I'm hooked. I love the fact that it invisibly syncs everything across all my machines and also the ability to create and destroy the four 'extra' email addresses for short-term use. The storage is good too; I keep my specific customisation files and essential utilities on the iDisk so I can mess around with any of the machines, even temporary builds, without hunting CDs and so on. I don't even need to worry if an email was received last week on another machine when this one is offline, it will have synced up when it was online and the email is there. For me, it's definitely worth it now.

ozzie123

ozzie123

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Couldn't this be done using a BSD based box? I think I read it somewhere that you could make a "virtual" .mac from a BSD box. The email of course won't work, but the sync and all the bell will work (although it does seem buggy)

ampTK

ampTK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
You can get it for $75 at the (US) apple online store if you buy a mac.

v-linkz

v-linkz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Couldn't this be done using a BSD based box? I think I read it somewhere that you could make a "virtual" .mac from a BSD box. The email of course won't work, but the sync and all the bell will work (although it does seem buggy)

I bookmarked this a while ago, though I have never tried it.
http://www.tnpi.biz/...mac/tips/idisk/

Swad

Swad

Founder.

• Administrators
  • 3,709 posts
An easy free version of .mac for file storage:
http://forum.osx86pr...=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy