iPC 10.5.6

a1exus

23 posts in this topic

It looks like you should be fine to run all the updates except the 10.5.8 update - since you are not running the Vanilla kernel, that will require some work on your part.

There's a quick guide on Netkas' blog, it's the usual procedure for updating a non-vanilla hackintosh. You'll find other guides here by searching.

Make sure that you are ready before doing the system update, you will probably lose LAN, Sound and SATA patches, and don't forget to keep backups of your system and seatbelt.kext so that you can restore them after updating.

If you want to update the kernel as well, you can replace Voodoo 9.5.0 with this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=179562

Of course you'll then need to restore seatbelt and system.kext from 10.5.8.

I don't know if updating will render your system unbootable because of the required modifications to AppleAHCIPort.kext - you would probably have to repeat the steps to modify it again after updating.

Also make sure that the voodoo kernel is named mach_kernel.voodoo and loaded appropriately from com.apple.Boot.plist so that it doesn't get replaced with the vanilla kernel.

It looks like you should be fine to run all the updates except the 10.5.8 update - since you are not running the Vanilla kernel, that will require some work on your part.

There's a quick guide on Netkas' blog, it's the usual procedure for updating a non-vanilla hackintosh. You'll find other guides here by searching.

Make sure that you are ready before doing the system update, you will probably lose LAN, Sound and SATA patches, and don't forget to keep backups of your system and seatbelt.kext so that you can restore them after updating.

how do I do backup and what exactly do I need to backup?

If you want to update the kernel as well, you can replace Voodoo 9.5.0 with this:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=179562

Of course you'll then need to restore seatbelt and system.kext from 10.5.8.

why is this one better vs voodoo 9.5.0?

just for my information, what seatbelt does? does it prevent me from doing something bad?

I don't know if updating will render your system unbootable because of the required modifications to AppleAHCIPort.kext - you would probably have to repeat the steps to modify it again after updating.

okay, I can follow that using other directions

Also make sure that the voodoo kernel is named mach_kernel.voodoo and loaded appropriately from com.apple.Boot.plist so that it doesn't get replaced with the vanilla kernel.

where do I check that?

If you need help with elementary things like backing up a file and how to check which kernel you are running and what its filename is, I suggest you search and read more about running OS X on a PC before doing anything else.

About the kernel, you can see the kernel version in System Profiler by clicking 'Software', or you can open Terminal and type uname -a.

Backing up a file, that's a weird thing to ask, I think you already know that backing up a file means copying the file to somewhere safe, like another hard drive, burn it to CD or DVD. In your case you would copy the extensions that you have patched to the desktop or to a folder at root so you can easily restore them from Terminal.

There is no guarantee that your old patched extensions will work with 10.5.8 though, but chances are good that you can find updated, patched extensions by searching the forum.

I cannot see into your computer so I don't know what you need to back up. You have to find that out for yourself.

Seatbelt and System.kext need to match the kernel version you are running, otherwise you will have problems mounting USB devices and kernel panics when opening .dmg images. You can stay with an older kernel, but upgrading to 10.5.8 will update Seatbelt and System.kext, so you will need to make backups of those so that you can restore them after updating, if you want to stay with your old kernel.

The kernel is a hidden file at the root of your system drive, normally it's named mach_kernel but when using non-vanilla kernel such as Voodoo it's a good idea to give it another name so that it doesn't get overwritten when doing a system update.

You can specify which kernel the system loads in com.apple.Boot.plist, or type the kernel name at the Darwin boot prompt.

Use google to find out how to view hidden files in the Finder - or you can use Terminal, the filenames are visible there.

• 2 weeks later...

di92k:Extensions alexus$ pwd
/System/Library/Extensions
di92k:Extensions alexus$ sudo cp -r System.kext System.kext-
di92k:Extensions alexus$ sudo cp -r seatbelt.kext seatbelt.kext-
di92k:Extensions alexus$ sudo cp -r AppleAHCIPort.kext AppleAHCIPort.kext-
di92k:Extensions alexus$ uname -a
Darwin di92k.local 9.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.5.0: Sat Dec  6 19:39:54 IST 2008; Voodoo; Release 1.0 :xnu-1228.7.58/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386
di92k:Extensions alexus$ grep mach_kernel /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist 
<string>mach_kernel</string>
di92k:Extensions alexus$ cd /
di92k:/ alexus$ sudo cp mach_kernel mach_kernel-
Password:
di92k:/ alexus$ sudo cp mach_kernel mach_kernel-
di92k:/ alexus$ sudo cp mach_kernel.orig mach_kernel.orig-
di92k:/ alexus$

this is all I need to backup right?

i did all that and reboot it my system, obviously it didn't came back up...

i tried booting mach_kernel- instead of new kernel, that didn't help

when i boot with -v i see it still waiting for root device

i'm too beat right now to try to revert all these files that i made backup off, so i'll give a shot tomorrow...

okay, I revert all these files that I made backup and booted using my old kernel /mach_kernel- however system still won't boot and last message I received whenever I do -v through bootloader is that it's "Still waiting for root device". I ever went to http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...200_.2F_XPS_410 and made appropriate changes to AppleAHCIPort.kext and did -v -f after that, still no go :P

can anyone help me?

Download the Chameleon 2.0 binary package and copy the AHCI and ATA kernel extensions from it to a flash drive.

Boot with your install DVD, run terminal and copy them to your extensions folder. Remember to fix permissions and boot with -f.

Let me know if it works.

Download the Chameleon 2.0 binary package and copy the AHCI and ATA kernel extensions from it to a flash drive.

Boot with your install DVD, run terminal and copy them to your extensions folder. Remember to fix permissions and boot with -f.

Let me know if it works.

i download Chameleon 2.0rc2 binary as you suggest, i copy AHCIPortInjector.kext and ATAPortInjector.kext into flash drive, boot it from DVD, run terminal

but i cant copy those extensions from my flash drive as it doesn't seem like I'm able to access my flash drive at that moment :wacko: I can't run network either, so I'm kind of stuck here...

any ideas?

What, you can't mount it from Terminal? Does it appear in Disk Utility? If it doesn't, then the only thing you can do is try changing USB settings in the BIOS.

Or you can use MacDrive or Transmac to access the drive from Windows and copy the files that way.

What, you can't mount it from Terminal? Does it appear in Disk Utility? If it doesn't, then the only thing you can do is try changing USB settings in the BIOS.

Or you can use MacDrive or Transmac to access the drive from Windows and copy the files that way.

my flash drive isn't visible from install, when i go to terminal, i type mount its not there... when i go to disk utility it's not there....

what do i need to change my bios settings too? because as far as my bios concerns it sees usb just fine, it offered me to boot from my it

I don't know specifically, I just said it because it's the only thing you can do at this point if the flash drive doesn't appear in Terminal.

Take the hard drive to another Hackintosh or a Windows PC with Transmac or MacDrive installed (Trial versions will work).

I don't know specifically, I just said it because it's the only thing you can do at this point if the flash drive doesn't appear in Terminal.

Take the hard drive to another Hackintosh or a Windows PC with Transmac or MacDrive installed (Trial versions will work).

i'm in process of installing Windows 7 on same computer (just another hard drive) and i'll be able to do it through there i guess (hopefully)...

i'm in process of installing Windows 7 on same computer (just another hard drive) and i'll be able to do it through there i guess (hopefully)...

I actually got these files by connecting that hard drive to my MAC, so I was able to boot that with 10.5.8, but new updates popped up and I thought it's ok for me to update them as well.... I was wrong... my system is screw up now.. so now I'm reinstalling and going get it to 10.5.8 and then i'll list all updates here maybe you can guide me through them.. thanks in advance and thanks for all your help :(

I actually got these files by connecting that hard drive to my MAC, so I was able to boot that with 10.5.8, but new updates popped up and I thought it's ok for me to update them as well.... I was wrong... my system is screw up now.. so now I'm reinstalling and going get it to 10.5.8 and then i'll list all updates here maybe you can guide me through them.. thanks in advance and thanks for all your help -_-

Remote Desktop Client Update 3.3.1

Front Row Update 2.1.7

Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 4 1.0

Safari 4.0.3

Security Update 2009-004 1.0

Front Row Update 2.1.7

Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 4 1.0

Safari 4.0.3

I just tried all updates other then security update, it failed...

I get....

"Still waiting for root device"

and I copy those files that you suggest me

so what I can and I can't do and how do I do it "alternative" way

once again I have:

Front Row Update 2.1.7

Safari 4.0.3

Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 5 1.0

actually i just noticed after upgrade to 10.5.8 my sounds is no longer working

as i mention before i used following settings