-Archive- Macefix86 2006 -Archive-

bofors

443 posts in this topic

Does your board support Core2Duo processors? Listening to Intel it shouldnt...

It doesn't indeed. I bought it in April. At some stage next year I'll buy one which supports OS X and Core 2 (Duo or Quad). At the moment one of the best should be the Bad Axe 2 (D975XBX2)

Bofors is our in-house hardware expert :smoke:

It doesn't indeed. I bought it in April. At some stage next year I'll buy one which supports OS X and Core 2 (Duo or Quad). At the moment one of the best should be the Bad Axe 2 (D975XBX2)

Bofors is our in-house hardware expert :happymac:

the problem is that I need a micro-atx form factor. I use an original Apple G5 case for my machine.

Also, does the MaacEFI preclude the possibility to overclock-tweak?

In case, is it possible to have it as a software-only loader in order to preserve BIOS settings?

Also, does the MaacEFI preclude the possibility to overclock-tweak?

In case, is it possible to have it as a software-only loader in order to preserve BIOS settings?

I don't know the answers, to be honest, but this project is still highly experimental.

I expect that by the first stable release we'll know a lot more.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone who knows what this project, and the project to boot Apple's firmware on EFI boards propose is very excited and hopeful for releases. I wish I knew the current developments, but perhaps there's reason for discretion (?) regarding that. I don't know of any release projections, but I am hopeful for this spring :D

I'm sure people noticed, but-

https://www.tianocore.org/

January 11, 2007

A special thanks to Tristan Gingold for porting the Nt32 Simulator code to Unix! This exciting new Package in EDK II enables people on Linux and other Unix Operating Systems to compile and run an EFI simulator. Please get the latest EDK II code from the subversion repository to try it out for yourself! More information is in the BuildNotes.txt for the EDK II project.

Edited by frizbot

I'd assume that once Microsoft releases an EFI-compatible OS ("a subsequent Windows Vista release will support UEFI" - microsoft.com), the motherboard manufacturers will enable EFI as a feature, especially since they'd have had more time to develop their implementations. Other than that page tomtefar found, I can't find anything about ABIT and EFI. I'd assume that these companies would have to have some internal way of easily disabling the CSM for debugging purposes, but knowing how requires some access, and I'm sure its not an easy jumper setting.

Really difficult to buy motherboards without knowing which are EFI compatible. MacEFIx86 plans for EFI partitions etc, but a built-in fallback position is always comforting.

Yeah, when microsoft supports UEFi it will easy as efi should become accesible, if u want to buy a board, just get a intel made one. as long as its >945G chipset, it will be Framework based.

the problem is that I need a micro-atx form factor. I use an original Apple G5 case for my machine.

you have only one choice at the moment

Intel D945GCL.

it support conroe, but only 2 DDR slots =((

I didn't want to ask. I figured they could be waiting for 10.5, since Apple could do more to break compatibility if MacEFIx86 "shows it's cards first".

The motherboards are difficult, and I'll wait on them for now. IIRC there's only that micro-atx board that has conroe support and the 945 chipset.The 965 chipset boards work poorly with OS X currently. The current 975 chipset boards don't have integrated video, which can be invaluable for getting video in OS X86 when available PCIE cards aren't working. I believe I'll be waiting a short while for more choices from Intel, and I haven't checked 3rd party support (I'd like EFI support instead).