OS X Server 10.6 on a MacBook Pro?

techydude

4 posts in this topic

hey,

i'd like to test Snow Leopard Server 10.6 (10A380) on a spare MacBook Pro first, but of course Apple says 'no, XServers & desktop systems only'. bahumbug

i've googled until my fingers bled but can't find anyone talking about this.

can someone point me in the right direction, please?

thanks,

hey,

i'd like to test Snow Leopard Server 10.6 (10A380) on a spare MacBook Pro first, but of course Apple says 'no, XServers & desktop systems only'. bahumbug

i've googled until my fingers bled but can't find anyone talking about this.

can someone point me in the right direction, please?

thanks,

I have tricked installers int he past by SHOW PACKAGE CONTENTS..... inside you might find a file called INSTALLATION CHECK....delete it...

You might first need to make a r/w disk image of the disk.

other times I have edited the INSTALLATION check file to allow install up to MAC OSX 9, where I changed the 9 to 10.

This may not be an exact answer,but I hope it can shove you in the right direction. (one other option could be to install it on a desktop, take an image of the partition, then restore it to you macbook's partition.) You can save some hassle by booting your macbook up as a FIREWIRE drive.

Is it really the case that they actually check what hardware you're installing on? I installed 10.4 server on my ibook at one point, it didn't complain. Of course, things could have changed.

i'm still not sure yet. i haven't tried mikecwest's 'Edit Package Contents' technique yet, but when i tried to install onto bare metal again, the wording was pretty clear that it didn't want to install onto a laptop, but that xserve or desktop machines are OK.

but i *was* able to install it in VMware Fusion 2.0.5, which has "experimental" support for Snow Leopard (32 & 64bit) & Snow Leopard Server (32 & 64bit) - at this stage doing it in a VM is perfectly adequate for evaluating it.

the Model Identifier (in System Profiler) says "MacBookPro3,1" on the host, but in the VM it's "VMware Virtual Platform". so i'm guessing Snow Leopard Server explicitly allows installation in a VM where it has a 'VMware Virtual Platform' Model Identifier (which i've been told is consistent with the LServer & SLServer EULA terms) (or other Identifiers for other VM vendors), and that running it in a VM on a laptop is an unavoidable loophole in the EULA. maybe.

i've had a few replies in another forum that "it should install on a laptop, it's just not officially supported", but that's obviously not been my experience so far...