Why steal from Apple?

99 posts in this topic

Maybe it's not right to grab something we shouldn't have, but we aren't causing them harm in any way. (Other than their pride, maybe.) None of the people that download the leaked OSX86 would have paid money for it if it weren't pirate-able. Apple isn't losing a cent. If anything, they're gaining a bunch of new fans in Windows users that can now try out OSX. I know I'm more interested in buying a Mac (or at least hoping they release OSX for white boxes) because of the leak.

As soon as I get some spare cash, I'm ordering a Mac Mini.

If everyone is as "not cool" as me, Apple sees to make quite a bit of cash off of this leak.

I don't remember Robin Hood suing anyone over release rumors either.... :P

But seriously, we aren't the apple demographic anyways, it's not like we could pay them to get a real OSX x86 cd. This should show them the legnths many pc users will go to get OSX, or at least get away from windows :(

Why are people pirating from an already struggling company? It's very not cool. Especially, since it means helping out the Windows world. Picking on the little 3% computer margin is not cool.

Apple is hardly a 'robin hood'. last fiscal quarter Apples revenue increased 30% mostly because of ipod sales and OS X tiger sales not from the sale of PPC macs. getting compatibility information on a 'beta' or a program that is not available for retail is not an infringement on copyright because no potential purchase price is lost and it is not redistributed for profit and the sharing of the information does not keep anyone from buying Apple software because there is no retail alternative. If any 'hobbyist' faces legal retribution i would say apple is more of a King Richard rather than a robin hood.

just because they are not microsoft or IBM does not mean they are jesus christ.

Maybe it's not right to grab something we shouldn't have, but we aren't causing them harm in any way.  (Other than their pride, maybe.)  None of the people that download the leaked OSX86 would have paid money for it if it weren't pirate-able.  Apple isn't losing a cent.  If anything, they're gaining a bunch of new fans in Windows users that can now try out OSX.  I know I'm more interested in buying a Mac (or at least hoping they release OSX for white boxes) because of the leak.

As soon as I get some spare cash, I'm ordering a Mac Mini.

If everyone is as "not cool" as me, Apple sees to make quite a bit of cash off of this leak.

acually .. i'd buy the OS if i could run it on my PC without having to patch it. Its worth buying :rolleyes:

Why are people pirating from an already struggling company? It's very not cool. Especially, since it means helping out the Windows world. Picking on the little 3% computer margin is not cool.

If I would pay to HAVE Apple working on the WinTel and get stop using Window any time. I don't think Apple is having a hard time with the Ipod markets help out. How could having OS x86 help out Wintel? I would think if people could and would switch over then Wintel would have less user......

BOOK THEM DANNY.. :D

If I would pay to HAVE Apple working on the WinTel and get stop using Window any time. I don't think Apple is having a hard time with the Ipod markets help out. How could having OS x86 help out Wintel? I would think if people could and would switch over then Wintel would have less user......

BOOK THEM DANNY.. :P

If apple put it in a dvd with more support for hardware and dual booting with windows. I would buy it for $99

But i cant buy it and i dont have the room (and money) for 2 fully dressed computers. And this way i can have a preview what is possibe with the osx before buying it.

getting compatibility information on a 'beta' or a program that is not available for retail is not an infringement on copyright because no potential purchase price is lost and it is not redistributed for profit and the sharing of the information does not keep anyone from buying Apple software because there is no retail alternative.

Yes, it is a copyright infringement. MacOS is Apple's intellectual property. If they are selling it or leave it sitting on the shelves forever doesn't change that. If it's Apple's, they can specify who may do what with it. That is just the legal fact. However, I don't think Apple is so afraid of a few afficionados who have fun hacking OS X to run on their Dell boxes, they are more afraid of those kind of people who want to make this a business and sell copies of MacOS X x86 on the streets of Hong-Kong and Moscow. It is true that the whole MacOS X x86 hacking project made a lot of people interested in Apple's OS - I myself am damn sure my next computer will be an Intel Powerbook - but it holds true that the kind of know-how disseminated in forums like this can be easily used by malicious people to harm Apple. So, from a corporate viewpoint I can well understand Apple that they try to protect their business model and don't want me to install MacOS x86, even if I don't see myself causing Apple any harm - they even found a prospective customer in me.

Apple? Poor?

That's a good one.

They sit on several billion dollars cash.

It's 2.96 billion dollar to be precise (MSN Money)

Believe it or not, I actually went to Fry's and bought a copy of Tiger when I installed this on my laptop. I still had to use the accepted method here, but I paid for a copy just to balance karma.

A lot of us will do that, even if we can't get a commercially available Tiger DVD - we'll just go out and buy the Mac disc instead.

Agreed. I for one, have been a Mac user since the beginning (128k Mac). My primary machine is a PowerBook G4, Apple isn't losing business from me. They make a damn fine product and I plan to keep buying them. Hardware and Software. Right now, Apple isn't losing anything from this "Hacking". OSx86 isn't even a marketable OS yet. What it is doing, is getting more developer hands on Intel hardware, and generating alot of interest for the Mac platform. Even as sketchy as it is, I'd rather run OS X on my PC than Windows. A hacked pre-release over a weathered comercial release. When the pre-release is having this effect on people, you know the final product is gonna be good.

sparquay, you are not 100% right. In fact, i am a Linux fan, but looking on OSX. I try it in pearpc, now i try it on my notebook. I can test it. I can play with it, and now i really want buy PowerBook (btw now i decide that it will be PPC, not x86 box). So, i just see, that migration will not be difficult to me. Thanx to osx86. P.S. Sorry for my english.

BTW. I really WANT to buy the butiful OS and butiful machine. When i will got the money, i will do it.

Hi,

well in my opinion the provided OSX86 copies you can get are just for testing OSX. People who heard about "Apple" and "Macintosh" can try the "holy" OS X.

Just to see how it is, how it behaves, how it is to run programms, how fast it is, just to get a taste for it.

I don´t think that many will make those OS X copies their primary OS, no updates, no support, ...

It´s just for playing a little with a new toy

Hi,

well in my opinion the provided OSX86 copies you can get are just for testing OSX. People who heard about "Apple" and "Macintosh" can try the "holy" OS X.

Just to see how it is, how it behaves, how it is to run programm, just to get a taste for it.

I don´t think that many will make those OS X copies their primary OS, no updates, no support, ...

It´s just for playing a little with a new toy

Exactly. And it has made me wanting a real Mactel when time comes.

Hey as soon as Apple releases this as a buyable version I'll be all over it.

They have all readly gotten my Money from OSX 10.1 threw 10.4 and I Own a 17" PowerBook, a G4 Cube, a iPod Photo, iLife '03 & '04 and iWorks.

I think they owe me this one untill the Offical version comes out.

Apple is a hardware company with 3% market share. I will boycott them forever the same way I boycott other big computer makers such as Dell. I always make my computers myself (I just ordered a new Asus barebone laptop and a separeted hard drive, wifi, RAM, DVD, CPU so it can be done with laptops too)

You may say M$ is evil but immagine how it would be if Apple has the monopoly. We would have to buy all our computers AND OS from one unique company. Even to run Linux we would have to buy OS X. That would suck a lot.

I have nothing against OS X. I think it has it's advantages (windows and linux also have theirs and that's why I will triple-boot on my new laptop) but I am 100% against a company that locks you to specific hardware.

That's why I think pirating Apple's software isn't worst, isn't better than pirating other softwares. If you don't feel guilty for pirating Windows, Photoshop, music and movies you should not feel guilty of pirating OS X and final cut pro.

I must also add that making OS X run on normal PCs will not make Apple loose 1 cent. People will try OS X on their PC and they will be able to run no apps and get no software updates, not counting limited hardware support. You can see it as a demo. When Apple will release the real OSX86 10.5 the version we are using now will be oudated and some of us will buy macs.

Oddly enough, this is the first time I've even considered that anybody was "stealing" anything.

In my mind,

we're helping Apple if anything. We're like a legion of free developers. If apple ever releases osx for generic pc's (which i believe they will), we're building their open source tech base. We did it here, we did it first, and we led the way.

We're not pirates, we're programmers.

When this thing retails, there are going to be so many damn wikis, lessons, and compiled programs that have been made that its going to be a wonderful thing to switch to mac.

The thing that everyone is playing with right is a Dev Kit that was released by Apple. The people that downloaded it did not pay for it, but they are still doing similar things that the actual developers are, and that benefits everyone IMO.

If we were taking the retail copy and hacking it for x86, I would feel its a theft.

However it landed in the laps of the people that are using it, it was released to be used, to be tinkered with, and to be adapted.

And that's exactly what the "pirates" are doing.

The only difference between everyone here and the developers is that they are RENTING it for 1000 dollars, and we're not.