Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 driver

aroman

149 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm working on a driver for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 controller. I've run into a problem. I'm trying to call attachInterface() to create a network interface, but that is failing (returns false). Is there any way to get more detailed information? ie. something like a getLastError()?

If anyone wishes to help CODING (not testing) he/she would be welcome.

Thanks,

Alex.

I'm a little inexperienced with drivers but decent enough with code that I might be able to help. Send me a pm with files and I'll take a look.

James

Hello all,

I'm working on a driver for the Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 controller. I've run into a problem. I'm trying to call attachInterface() to create a network interface, but that is failing (returns false). Is there any way to get more detailed information? ie. something like a getLastError()?

If anyone wishes to help CODING (not testing) he/she would be welcome.

Thanks,

Alex.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I've gotten it to work, though. What I forgot to do was have a getHardwareAddress(). However, after I added a dummy one, the system preferences see it as an "airport" card, though it doesn't do anything yet!

Next, I'll be working on firmware loading, getting it to work basically :)

Please PM me if you wish to help code on this thing. Testing WILL come on later, though! When I'll need testing, I'll say so. Until then, keep watching this topic and http://osx-ipw2200.blogspot.com/ for updates!

Alex.

Hi,

Glad to see that someone is back on this driver.

If you achieves this, due to the number of persons here with 2200BG on their laptop, you will certainly be thrown directly in the Pantheon of Hackintosh half-gods.

Best regards

amen, brother.

Thank you all for the replies. I'll try to answer some questions...

I tried getting in touch with tuxx. I messaged him saying I'd like to help, but his reply was "die". Simply that. I don't know why, but since he hasn't posted any updates about what he's been doing and because I have a little spare time, I've decided to work on this myself.

About the interfaces... In the latest version of Xcode came a Kernel.Framework which contains an apple80211 directory with headers for an IO80211Interface and IO80211Controller :hysterical: They subclass IOEthernetInterface and IOEthernetController, respectively.

So far 1 person has contacted me to help me, and I've filled him in on the situation and we're working on it. Any more help would be welcome: please PM me.

The current step is to get the latest firmware code loaded.

Yes, I'm using the ipw2200 drivers as a reference. They have a lot of comments which is always helpful.

Cheers

Alex.

lol, aroman..

sorry for my reply.. but i get like 5 such pms daily. And pretty much none of them are meant seriously.

If you need help feel free to pm me.. and we could maybe meetup on irc or icq or something. btw my driver attached an interface, loaded the firmware and everything. The card is basically fully initialized..

good luck :weight_lift:

tuxx

Can you insert support for intel 3945?

How can I do to insert this support?

Can you explain some things about linux driver?how can I do to write any driver for 3945?

I know something of programming in C++.Thx

Because I do not have such a card, I cannot work on a driver for it. However, once I release any sources (and I will release sources, maybe set up a repository sometime soon), other developers which do have this card can follow the driver's model and see how they can adapt it to the 3945.

Because I do not have such a card, I cannot work on a driver for it. However, once I release any sources (and I will release sources, maybe set up a repository sometime soon), other developers which do have this card can follow the driver's model and see how they can adapt it to the 3945.

I'll be happy to give it a go. My understanding of OSX doesn't go so far as to write a complete new driver, but considering the chipsets are likely very similar, I could try and adapt it to fit the card. If its required.

Glad to see people taking this seriously :whistle: This is a key step in getting the 3945abg supported, which will allow me to use my laptop with OSX. Liking that idea...

im glad to see that this is being worked on again, i have the ipw3945 in my acer core duo, no wireless has been the only thing that has kept me from using osx. good luck guys, and i would be happy to beta test for yall if someone starts on the 3945 bit.

i dont have an intel wireless solution but its good to see this thing revisited and i feel that this driver will make the community very happy (due to the sheer number of intel wireless users). haha if we waited for dlbogdan to finish his driver, we'd never get one! boy was he full of {censored}