Psystar Triple-Boot

1 post in this topic

Ok.....Here is my scenario.....

Awhile back I bought a Psystar Open PC with OSX as the primary and Ubuntu as the secondary. They are both serial ATA drives. You may already know this but, Psystar uses a slightly modified version of the GRUB boot loader and tucks this away in a special unmounted partition with no priveladges. I managed to get past this and modified the menu.lst by copying and pasting the Ubuntu entry so it shows up twice, I just changed the title of the entry to "Win XP"...Just to see if it worked...It did. Now I want to actually be able to boot into XP so I took a standard IDE drive with XP already installed on it and popped it in as the master IDE along with another blank NTFS IDE drive as the secondary. I changed the HD boot order in the bios to read those drives last so that the GRUB boot loader still came up since, by default, it try's to boot from the standard IDE channel first. So far so good....This is where I begin to run into trouble though. Below is all my drives as they show up in MountManager in Ubuntu:

-sda (WinXP Disk)
 -sda1 (WinXP partition)
-sdb (Empty disk)
-sdc (Mac Disk)
 -sdc1 (ext2 partition for GRUB)
 -sdc2 (hfsplus partition for OSX)
-sdd (Linux Disc)
 -sdd1 (ext3 partition for Ubuntu)
 -sdd5 (swap partition for Ubuntu)

And here is my menu.lst file

#
# Sample boot menu configuration file
#

# Boot automatically after 1 secs.
timeout 10

gfxmenu (hd0,0)/boot/bootlogo
color white/blue black/light-gray

# By default, boot the first entry.
default 0

# Fallback to the second entry.
#fallback 1

# Splash image to show behind grub.
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

## boot OSX
title OS X Leopard
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/osx.kernel
module /boot/osx.initrd
append biosdev=80

## boot Linux
title Ubuntu Linux
rootnoverify (hd1)
chainloader +1

## boot Win XP
title Windows
map (hd0) (hd3)
map (hd3) (hd0)
root (hd3)
chainloader +1

## target mode
#title Network Target Mode
#root (hd0,0)
#kernel /boot/target.kernel root=/dev/ram rw boot=casper showmounts init=/sbin/fastinit toram quiet splash vga=791
#initrd /boot/target.initrd

I can't see what I am doing wrong here but for some reason I can still boot into OSX and Ubuntu but I get a GRUB error when I attempt to boot into XP.

Am I missing something?