Macbook capable of Vista Aero and xgl/aixgl?

forbes

44 posts in this topic

Looks like I am going shopping to!!

Ok, you have more that 512, hbut what ram are you using? 1 GB stick or 2 512's? Did you upgrade yourself?

two 1gb sticks. Installed them myself. :angel: I bought them for only 170 from OmniTechnologies on ebay. That is super cheap. Look em up.

if you take 128 mb away from the ram to use as vram, then you will only have 384 MB of system RAM. that is below the minimum, so if you want to run aero on the macbook, youre gonna have to upgrade the ram to 2x512s or 2x1gbs.

two 1gb sticks. Installed them myself. :) I bought them for only 170 from OmniTechnologies on ebay. That is super cheap. Look em up.

Ok, have you tried just a 1 GB stick? I need to know if I have to jump to 2X1 GB sticks.

Ok, guys. Thanks for your help, it all works now :lol:

Just to sum it up:

I installed Vista Public Beta according to the "Macbook and Vista yes it works, and it's pretty easy" threat.

Then I installed the Bootcamp drivers taken from a previous xp setup (I burned the program files\mac... folder on a cd). I had to manually run the setup.exe for the sound drivers, sound is working fine...

At that point I had a Performance Rating of 1.

Then I changed the display driver within the device manager (update driver, don't go online, choose from list) to intel lakeport wddm. after that i did a reboot, still had a performance rating of 1, but after I hit the "refresh my rating now" button I had a rating of 3.

and guess what?

yeah, aero glass is working just fine :P

I should mention that I activated my Vista and that I'm running it on a MacBook with 2Ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD, with a 20GB Vista partition.

I also noticed that alt+tab switches windows in the old fashioned xp-way, but apple+tab (the key next to spacebar) shows you the open windows in a 3D view and switches them like a slideshow (how cool is that?)

Since I'm new to the mac scene, I will spend my time with learning how to use mac os x now, does anybody know where I can get some nice "gadgets", if thats what they're called...

since the gma is a shared card, you would be able to run vista but you would suffer from performance problems, id reco 1 gig. that being said, my friend has managed to run vista beta 2 (ultimate) with aero glass on his 1.73 pentium m with 512mb of ddr 333 and a gma 900. it doesnt exactly fly but he can run it.

+ nowhere in my post did i say that you should run vista with only 512mb of ram and a gma 950

Hey there. I have Windows Vista Beta 2 and I have the Intel 900 graphics chipset. I don't have any WDDM drivers for it, so I cannot get Aero to work at all!

However, I hear your friend has got it working. Please would you be able to tell me how to do this, if you honestly know how to do it I will be so happy, i've been trying to find a way to get aero working for days by looking all over the internet, however having no luck what so ever!

has anyone tried this simple hack, it is supposed to bypass hardware check

Microsoft Windows Vista, formally Codename longhorn has a new user interface system codenamed Avalon. This new user interface engine greatly enhances the look by utilizing several cool looking 3D effects. Of course, to be able to fully utilize the new engine you need a good 3D video card on top of special drivers, WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model).

To turn on this effect just execute c:\Windows\System32\UXSS.exe or enable and start the User Experience Session Management Service.

1. Open up Regedit.

2. Navigate through HKEY_local_machine, Software, and Microsoft.

3. Create a new KEY called DWM.

4. In the new DWM key you created, create a DWORD called EnableMachineCheck.

5. Make sure this value is set to 0 and hardware checking is now disabled.

Quick Note: Although you can get it to run on older hardware, with the lack of WDDM drivers available, it is going to run very slowly.

taken from www.tweakvista.com

First post! :)

Well I came across this while searching to find whether or not my MacBook would be able to fully support Windows Vista. According to Everything Apple (Actual Article Here)

"Intel has this to say about the chipset and Vista compatibility: "Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset family platforms using 512MB of system memory or greater (which the MacBook has I believe?) meet all current requirements for the Microsoft Windows Vista* Capable PC program."

Hopefully there shall be no problems and we will all be very happy. Let me know if I'm right or miserably wrong. Thanks.

I have since posted some videos confirming Vista Aero Glass works on my MacBook. (It's a blog post: One video is 2.5 minutes long and is a screen recording, but the frame rate is low. The other video at the bottom of the post is only 30 seconds long, but it has a high frame rate, so it illustrates how smooth Vista runs on the MacBook.)

Ok, guys. Thanks for your help, it all works now :D

Just to sum it up:

I installed Vista Public Beta according to the "Macbook and Vista yes it works, and it's pretty easy" threat.

Then I installed the Bootcamp drivers taken from a previous xp setup (I burned the program files\mac... folder on a cd). I had to manually run the setup.exe for the sound drivers, sound is working fine...

Which setup.exe? On my MacBook I have OS X and Vista, as well as XP running under Parallels in OS X.

I installed a Sigmatel driver downloaded off the Intel website, but it doesn't work. At first it worked with muffled staticky sound, but now it doesn't work at all.

i have it running on a 1.83GHz macbook, you just need to have more than 512MB ram and then you need to replace both video drivers with lakeport drivers from the device manager manually.

personally i cant stand glass, i played with it for a bit then disabled it.

Just to let everyone know, in case you are still searching for an answer to this, I installed AIGLX and compiz last night and it flies along quiet happily :star_smile:

Apparently XGL is real slow on the MacBook, but AIGLX certainly works for me. Either way you still get the great compiz effects :)

I followed the instructions on this blog and added it to my dual boot black MacBook (with 2GB RAM) last night on an Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 install. Fantastic.

Just find the section under “3D Accelerated Desktop/aiglx compiz:” over here:

http://bin-false.org/?p=17

Only took about 30 minutes.

everybody will laugh now, but how exactly do you take a screenshot on a mac keyboard?

Nah, we won't laugh at you. Check out the "Input Remapper" in the X Labs. It'll help ya out. :)

Has anyone been able to get the Vista Upgrade Advisor to work in Boot Camp? When I try to run it, it just says "Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor could not run Winsat. System compatibility status could not be evaluated."

• 2 weeks later...
Did anyone get glass to work on the mac mini?

I have a core duo, 1GB RAM

No, I believe nobody has. Check out other threads in the forum. To sum it up, the Lakeport WDDM drivers that work on MacBook do not work on the Mini, although the hardware is basically the same.

We probably will have to wait until Intel releases new WDDM drivers...

No, I believe nobody has. Check out other threads in the forum. To sum it up, the Lakeport WDDM drivers that work on MacBook do not work on the Mini, although the hardware is basically the same.

We probably will have to wait until Intel releases new WDDM drivers...

I was able to get glass for one boot as chronicled here:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=20203

It was totally geeked out and only worked once. Basically we need a new driver.