Mac Mini & SSDs

2 posts in this topic

Topic: Mac Mini & S.S.D, solid state drives.

My questions are Mac Mini's compatible with SSDs, and if so, which type of SSD can I install into Mini's? More specifically, i know there are different types of SSDs adapters, which is the preferred/necessary for Mini's to work properly?SATA/SATAII

Just if you're wondering I'm planning on buying a Mac Mini, that includes: 2.26ghz processor, 256mb-shared memory video, 4gb ram, and 320gb (forced to buy the largest hard drive, because the options are limited...)

One last question: are there any chances/rumors that Apple will be upgrading their products (mini's) with the upcoming major software updates (Snow Leopard)?

any help with be appreciated, lol and if you're eager to ask why I would prefer buying a mac mini rather than a self assembled computer, it's because of this 2.0 x 6.5 x 6.5 inches in DIMENSIONS. I can carry this sucker anywhere; upstairs, downstairs, friend's and/or cousin's place. And setup is under two minutes, I assume lol

Topic: Mac Mini & S.S.D, solid state drives.

My questions are Mac Mini's compatible with SSDs, and if so, which type of SSD can I install into Mini's? More specifically, i know there are different types of SSDs adapters, which is the preferred/necessary for Mini's to work properly?SATA/SATAII

Any 2.5" SATA SSD will be a drop in replacement. You'd actually have to go out of your way to buy the WRONG (Parallel ATA) interface since 95% of the SSD's made are all SATA.

If you're getting the latest 2009 model of Mac mini - they now support SATA II speeds so you'll get maximum benefit from the _current_ crop of solid-state drives. Make sure it uses an Indilinx or Samsung controller chip and quotes peak read speeds at 200+mpbs or more and Write speeds of 135+ or higher. You definitely don't want to buy one of last year's SSD models, they'd be significantly slower. Check out the blog page at www.mac-ssd-drives.com for the current state of the SSD market.