Did I found a bug of OS X?

forrestsun

4 posts in this topic

Say you have two partition, Mac1 and Mac2, Mac1 has the installed system but you redirect the user folder to Mac2 in system preference\Account\Advanced Options. In there you have to define the new user location to be:

/Volumes/Mac2/Users/yourname

Then restart. Very simple.

But, what if after this, you created a folder named "Volumes" under the root of Mac1 partition, then logout and back in? Well, you will find yourself loosing all the desktop setting, folder preference, app setting, etc. everything, and is welcomed by a new, fresh desktop environment just like when you first boot into the system. Why?

The system is apparently confused between the folder "volumes" under mac1, and the Mac2 volume. Not a big deal but I consider this a bug.

=========

(I was installing an app, which at the end ask me to log out, then all of a sudden my desktop is gone and a new fresh desktop appeared. Somehow, either the OS itself, or the app, created a "Volumes" folder in my OS partition, and the user account setting of "\Volumes\Mac2\User.." confused the system.

========

Well, it's not a new problem, as described here (a self created "fake drive").

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=200602101655424

However I am not using a BT download. But it could be other type of software that triggered the same thing but I haven't found which software did that. Unfortunately my personal folder is on Mac2 so each time the "fake Mac2" was created, a new user folder was created too and let me in a whole new place.

Oh yeah? well if i copy my home folder to my parents windows computer, then create a folder called who cares, then inside that folder make a shortcut to my home folder, then connect to that computer remotely from my mac, THEN if the time is exactly 11:23:45 PM, then my desktop settings will be reset. Crazy I know, but someone should fix this, it's a crazy bug.

1.- You simply cannot create a folder "Volumes" on Mac1 because it is already there...

2.- After you define your new users folder location you need to copy/move all your stuff there, if not, obviously this will result in a "new" account because there are nothing in that location.

3.- The crazy bug happened to me around 1:15 not 11:23 :)

1.- You simply cannot create a folder "Volumes" on Mac1 because it is already there...

2.- After you define your new users folder location you need to copy/move all your stuff there, if not, obviously this will result in a "new" account because there are nothing in that location.

3.- The crazy bug happened to me around 1:15 not 11:23 :P

WE GOTTA REPORT THIS WHAT IF IT'S A VIRUS Z O M G!!!!! SWINE FLU!!!!!!!!! :)