10.5.8 deep sleep problem?

bolly

274 posts in this topic

Stig_dk's Hibernate fix for Chameleon ey? would that also fix the sleep issue (doesnt work) with Win 7?

No, this only applies if Chameleon 2 fails to wake from hibernation claiming that there isn't enough memory space available to resume OS X from hibernation.

Errrr... I can see no reason why you'd use the SleepEnabler.kext if you have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement running. The only thing SpeedEnabler.kext does is that it provides (empty) implementation for a callback required by the 9.8.0 kernel to sleep. If you have AppleIntelCPUPM running, it already provides a (probably correct) implementation of this callback (which is why it was used as a workaround for this issue in the first place). Running both causes them to fight for the callback registration, and since there is no check in the kernel preventing duplicate registration, the last kext to register wins - yielding an unstable system.

I want to try SleepEnabler because my computer can sleep only in case of battery power supply, with AC adapter I have no sleep. I can't understand this influence. May be AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement->ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin->AppleLPC->AC_adapter.

My situation

-SleepEnabler+ AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement= sleep working in battery case

+SleepEnabler+AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement=kernel_panic (I understand you)

+SleepEnabler-AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement=system freeze after few seconds

May be it is better to modify superhai's VoodooPower with the same implementation to not influence on AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement?

Yah, sorry, I'm on 10.5.8 now. I gotta update that.

And as for seeing any SleepEnabler in terminal... How would I go about that? I'm VERY new to OS X.

Open the Terminal and type

"sudo kextstat" (without the quotes)

and look for "SleepEnabler.kext" in the output.

If it doesnt show up, it wasn't loaded.

Nice, so now sleep might work...

If it doesn't don't know what we can do for you :angel:

Well thanks for all the help guys! I don't think Sleep is working, but I will have to try without the AC plugged in and see if that makes a difference at all. I just really want to get this working because of the 8-10 minute boot up time this OS X x86 takes. It would be really nice to get into the OS faster.

Have a look at: FIX: USB or SD Card reader that doesn't correctly unmount before going to sleep here:

Do you have problems when your computer wakes from sleep?

:angel:

Looks like a viable solution until a kext comes along. Thanks Thiereus!

By the way, I am not entirely sure about this, but I seem to recall that I was able to wake up my computer from S3 sleep with a mouse doubleclick (as set up in the BIOS of my EP35-DS3) in 10.5.7. Might just be my memory failing me though.

Cheers

Emil

Could someone please confirm that Voodoopower.kext works fine with Disabler.kext + SleepEnabler.kext?

I was getting x 6 Multiplier @ idle with & without Disabler.kext (both without SleepEnabler)

But since I've started using SleepEnabler.kext I'm getting x9 Multiplier @ idle

I've run kextstat and it shows both SleepEnabler & VoodooPower as being loaded.

Could someone please confirm that Voodoopower.kext works fine with Disabler.kext + SleepEnabler.kext?

I was getting x 6 Multiplier @ idle with & without Disabler.kext (both without SleepEnabler)

I confirm! ;)

For new users:

SleepEnabler is available to download into the third page, last post of this thread. Post #120

If you don't know what to do with it, you can follow my mini "How To Guide" here: Some fixes for your MacOS 10.5.8 install (All the latest 10.5.8 fixes are here into a big archive, but some fixes may not work for you, so fix what needs to be fixed :()

I confirm! ;)

For new users:

SleepEnabler is available to download into the third page, last post of this thread.

You can also follow my mini "How To Guide" here: Some fixes for your MacOS 10.5.8 install (All the latest 10.5.8 fixes are here into a big archive, but some fixes may not work for you, so fix what needs to be fixed :()

Hmmm...I wonder if it's just me then. Is there any other way to confirm speedstep is working?

Great news guys! I just installed Disabler.kext into /Extra/Extensions and installed VoodooPower.kext.

Speedstep works properly now, and I can still hibernate. VoodooPower.kext brought my temps down from 55*C to 45*C, and when running the Dell I8kfanGUI app to control my fan and setting the fan to "High", I'm now seeing temps at 36*C.

This now makes OS X run smoother, cooler, and generally better than even Windows XP!

could we take this idea and make it work in 10.5.7 now?

If you're talking about the SleepEnabler.kext, then definitely not - the kext only compensates for a modification in the 10.5.8 kernel.

If the 'this idea' is something else, let me know :P

One way SleepEnabler could affect power management is if you have AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext running and working (I'm not sure if it works for anyone - it doesn't for me, so I don't really care :)) - this is because if SleepEnabler.kext will replace AICPM.kext as the PM kext (there can be only one registered in the kernel) if it loads second. However, it would have a nasty side effect of crashing the system rather quickly, in most cases :D

The other case could be an older version of VoodooPower.kext that would hook itself as the PM kext - this is just my speculation, I didn't investigate. The last version (1.2.3) doesn't do this. However, there is a declaration of the pmKextRegister function that is used to register the kext for PM in VoodooPower sources, though it's unused in the last version. That's why I guess it might have been used previously.

Hi,

Is it working for deep sleep (hybernation) or only fast/safe sleep ?

In my case, i could sleep safe/fast w/o SleepEnabler but no deep sleep.

And of course i would like deep sleep to switch off my conputer (22w when off 8-( )

I'm using nullcpupowermanagement.kext, appleintelcpupowerpamangement.kext, sleepEnabler.kext.. I have no need for voodoopower as it cuts my cpu numbers in half in xbench... although autosleep still doesn't work since 10.5.7.

I have an odd situation that I have not seen discussed here.

I am using both AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and IntelCPUPMDisabler with SleepEnabler.

The system boots just fine, and it is running about 10C/18F cooler than without SleepEnabler.

But what is odd is that when I choose to make the computer sleep, it acts like it is going to sleep, but when I press the power button to wake up the computer, the computer boots from scratch. In other words, sleep actually makes the computer shut down.

Anyone else have this issue?

Guest Snowski
No, this only applies if Chameleon 2 fails to wake from hibernation claiming that there isn't enough memory space available to resume OS X from hibernation.

Ok thx for the info m8

@ MCcool, I remember having this issue once but can't remember how I fixed it. I suggest you check your BIOS sleep mode which should be S3 as far as I know. Try n post back.

Hi,

Is it working for deep sleep (hybernation) or only fast/safe sleep ?

In my case, i could sleep safe/fast w/o SleepEnabler but no deep sleep.

And of course i would like deep sleep to switch off my conputer (22w when off 8-( )

Hi,

if you could do a regular sleep without SleepEnabler, it means that you have either AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement running, or are not running 10.5.8 at all (your signature says 10.5.7) :)

SleepEnabler is only for 10.5.8, and only does a single thing normally done by AICPM.kext, required for a piece of kernel code (new in 10.5.8) to pass during the go-to-sleep procedure. It should have no direct effect on deep sleep/various wakeup problems/anything else sometimes mentioned in this thread. However, there are definitely other changes in 10.5.8 (new AppleACPIPlatform among others), which can be responsible for such problems. Since these components, unlike the kernel itself, are not open source, there is no feasible way to determine what has been changed and how to fix it.

@pista7

What do you think about this message?

Of get those messages too, dunno how they affect the system.

In general I can also report a great success: Deep sleep works with that kext. Now my system sleeps and wakes perfectly, even with the troublesome ATI Radeon 4850 (via editing Boot.plist with a certain hex string and now extra drivers or injectors). A troublesome Networkadapter, Realtek 8139D based, kept the system from sleeping as well, I discarded it and use the build in Realtek R1111b now, thanks to Drivers provided by Realtek themselves

After a quick check it appears that manual sleep works, auto sleep doesn't.

Have a look at this thread: http://forums.msiwind.net/osx-software/sol...ues-t11680.html

It is explained how to unload and then load back the airport card. I don't know if it can solve your problem. It uses sleepwatcher to unload before sleep and then load after sleep.

Thireus,

Just give you some updates. I tried the method you mentioned, but it does not work, my airport card can power on by itself after wake up. The problem is it can't pick the wireless network automatic, I have do it manually.

I tried the other command like "/usr/sbin/networksetup -setnetworkserviceenabled <mynetwork name> on", but it does not work. I tried this command both in Terminal and put it in .wakeup.

I am not sure if you know other sh can do the same thing or not. Thanks in advance.

Thireus,

Just give you some updates. I tried the method you mentioned, but it does not work, my airport card can power on by itself after wake up. The problem is it can't pick the wireless network automatic, I have do it manually.

I tried the other command like "/usr/sbin/networksetup -setnetworkserviceenabled <mynetwork name> on", but it does not work. I tried this command both in Terminal and put it in .wakeup.

I am not sure if you know other sh can do the same thing or not. Thanks in advance.

No sorry :/

I just gave you this link because I saw this solution 2days ago. But I don't have any Airport card :rolleyes:

I'm facing almost the same issue with my Ralink card, because after sleep I loose my ip, so I have to launch my Ralink Utility to connect my eeepc to the network.

I'll try to find a solution later for that. The most important fix that need to be done now is about the Battery Info issue. Not everyone have this problem, I heard this is due to smbios. But I don't know what I can do with it.