10.5.8 deep sleep problem?

bolly

274 posts in this topic

Yessssss!!!!

Not only have I managed to revive my desktop (I had a great idea to turn HPET from 32-bit to 64-bit mode while testing SL, and it resulted in Leo being completely unusable ;), but sleep works for me now!!!!

For those interested, there was a small bug in the kext I posted previously - I didn't let the kernel know that PM has been "initialized", so it still didn't use the provided callbacks.

This version should work correctly (it works for me, I'm typing this on a freshly waked computer :hysterical:

The sources are also attached (all 5 lines of them :hysterical:)

Update: Since I forgot that non-IOKit kexts are not loaded automatically at startup, it won't help you to move this kext to an Extensions folder - I will fix this tomorrow (hopefully) - for the time being, simply start it manually and as long as sleep works, you should be fine :D Just remember to reload the kext after reboot (or use launchd or whatever)

Edit: downloads removed - the last version is here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1224830

What about installing VoodooPower and removing both AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement & IntelCPUPMDisabler and then reboot? ;)

I just got done trying that. I installed VoodooPower which resulted in a kernel panic.

I never made it to removing AICPUPM & ICPUPMD.

Yessssss!!!!

Not only have I managed to revive my desktop (I had a great idea to turn HPET from 32-bit to 64-bit mode while testing SL, and it resulted in Leo being completely unusable ;), but sleep works for me now!!!!

For those interested, there was a small bug in the kext I posted previously - I didn't let the kernel know that PM has been "initialized", so it still didn't use the provided callbacks.

This version should work correctly (it works for me, I'm typing this on a freshly waked computer ;)

The sources are also attached (all 5 lines of them :D)

Update: Since I forgot that non-IOKit kexts are not loaded automatically at startup, it won't help you to move this kext to an Extensions folder - I will fix this tomorrow (hopefully) - for the time being, simply start it manually and as long as sleep works, you should be fine :D Just remember to reload the kext after reboot (or use launchd or whatever)

Thank you, now it works like a charm, I have updated my package: Some fixes for your MacOS 10.5.8 install

Thanks for your great work :)

I'm still waiting for a kext that can work into the Extensions folder :)

this new version works for me too!

looking forward to installing the auto-loading version :)

Might be a noob question, but I get this error:

"System extension cannot be used"

"The system extension /Users/bobdamnit/Downloads/SleepEnabler.kext was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update."

Whats that about? Have I got the permissions wrong?

Might be a noob question, but I get this error:

"System extension cannot be used"

"The system extension /Users/bobdamnit/Downloads/SleepEnabler.kext was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it, or contact the product's vendor for an update."

Whats that about? Have I got the permissions wrong?

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Users/bobdamnit/Downloads/SleepEnabler.kext

Don't forget the path!

If you want sleep working follow my new instructions here (it now uses this kext :)): Some fixes for your MacOS 10.5.8 install

Or wait for a new update of this driver ;)

Ok, sleep works! Thanks @pista

I loose the ethernet connection after wake up.. I'm using an USB Ethernet Adapter (AX88772). Any idea what can I do? Thanks!

EP35-DS3L / Boot132 / PCEFI9

In System Preferences, enter your IP address manually. This will fix the R1000.kext that the ep35-ds3l uses after sleep.

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Users/bobdamnit/Downloads/SleepEnabler.kext

Don't forget the path!

If you want sleep working follow my new instructions here (it now uses this kext ;)): Some fixes for your MacOS 10.5.8 install

Or wait for a new update of this driver ;)

Thanks Thireus! I properly "chown"ed the kext and sleep works properly!

Major kudos to Pista7 and Thireus for this. Can't wait for the kext to be updated to allow for auto loading.

Yessssss!!!!

This version should work correctly (it works for me, I'm typing this on a freshly waked computer ;)

The sources are also attached (all 5 lines of them :D)

Great job, pista 7! You are genius!

I download this new kext and follow the instruction in your post at #97, and sleep works in charm.

The only problem is my airport (pccard-Atheros 5212) cannot load the preferred network after wake up, I have to pick it manually. But it is good enough now. Although it is a little bit inconvenient, still much better than nothing.

Really love this post, fast response just after couple of days since the release of 10.5.8.

Looking forward to your auto loading version. Really appreciate your hard working!

would this work on 10.5.7? since sleep dont work on my laptop i wonder if it would work if i used this fix?

No, it won't. It's built specifically for 10.5.8 (i.e. the 9.8.0 kernel), and it shouldn't even load on any other kernel version, as it would most likely KP immediately.

Guest Snowski

Working perfectly here Pista, thx a lot!

Restored 10.5.8 kernel and installed the kext and sleep works, easy fix.

Someone should sticky this when you have the kext working at boot.

Thx again

Yessssss!!!!

Not only have I managed to revive my desktop (I had a great idea to turn HPET from 32-bit to 64-bit mode while testing SL, and it resulted in Leo being completely unusable :), but sleep works for me now!!!!

This version should work correctly (it works for me, I'm typing this on a freshly waked computer :(

The sources are also attached (all 5 lines of them ;))

Update: Since I forgot that non-IOKit kexts are not loaded automatically at startup, it won't help you to move this kext to an Extensions folder - I will fix this tomorrow (hopefully) - for the time being, simply start it manually and as long as sleep works, you should be fine ;) Just remember to reload the kext after reboot (or use launchd or whatever)

it work,

thx

Great job, pista 7! You are genius!

I download this new kext and follow the instruction in your post at #97, and sleep works in charm.

The only problem is my airport (pccard-Atheros 5212) cannot load the preferred network after wake up, I have to pick it manually. But it is good enough now. Although it is a little bit inconvenient, still much better than nothing.

Really love this post, fast response just after couple of days since the release of 10.5.8.

Looking forward to your auto loading version. Really appreciate your hard working!

Have a look at this thread: http://forums.msiwind.net/osx-software/sol...ues-t11680.html

It is explained how to unload and then load back the airport card. I don't know if it can solve your problem. It uses sleepwatcher to unload before sleep and then load after sleep.

In System Preferences, enter your IP address manually. This will fix the R1000.kext that the ep35-ds3l uses after sleep.

Thanks but I'm not using R1000.kext. My onboard LAN is broken (disabled in BIOS). That's the reason because I bought the USB Adapter. LevelOne said the adapter is 100% OS X compatible, that's true! But as you see, there are some issues.

Ok, here's the autostarting version - hopefully I haven't broken anything (blind-coding again :thumbsup_anim:)

Make really really sure you test that it loads successfully before putting it to an Extensions directory, as it would most likely make your system unbootable if it panics or something (it gets loaded even before you get to the single-user prompt with -s, so in case it blows up, you'll have to boot from a DVD/different partition).

Also, I can't say what would happen if both AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and this on would be loaded at the same time - most likely nothing, but better avoid trying this at home :thumbsup_anim: Make sure you have disabler.kext or a similar kext up and running.

sleep.zip

source.zip

Ok, here's the autostarting version - hopefully I haven't broken anything (blind-coding again :thumbsup_anim:)

Make really really sure you test that it loads successfully before putting it to an Extensions directory, as it would most likely make your system unbootable if it panics or something (it gets loaded even before you get to the single-user prompt with -s, so in case it blows up, you'll have to boot from a DVD/different partition).

Also, I can't say what would happen if both AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and this on would be loaded at the same time - most likely nothing, but better avoid trying this at home :rolleyes: Make sure you have disabler.kext or a similar kext up and running.

Nice! Thanks, I'll give it a try :thumbsup_anim:

OK IT WORKS!

My little tutorial for all 10.5.8 fixes: Some fixes for your MacOS 10.5.8 install

Ok, here's the autostarting version - hopefully I haven't broken anything (blind-coding again :) )

Also, I can't say what would happen if both AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and this on would be loaded at the same time - most likely nothing, but better avoid trying this at home :D Make sure you have disabler.kext or a similar kext up and running.

sleep work very well whit your kext

in my asus p6t se whit 10.5.8

many thanks

Guest Snowski
Ok, here's the autostarting version - hopefully I haven't broken anything (blind-coding again :)

Fantastic work m8, working as expected!