[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

You say BIOS - that's what I meant when I said CMOS. Glad it works. Were you able to get parallels working right?

For 10.5.x. - RC2 is fine for these machines. I don't see any need to go to RC3 until we go to 10.6.x.

Sleep is a known bug that I don't have a suitable solution for.

Sleep - I wish.

If you enable a system password in CMOS, sleep will work :rolleyes:

It works on my D820, but you have to type your password when resuming.

Regards

heikland

First thing first. Great, and I mean great, job on this guide. If it wasn't for this guide I wouldn't be where I am today.

I followed your guide and it worked great! I have 10.5.7 installed and everything working! Now, the problem B)

I changed the permissions and installed the nVidia drivers, rebooted, and then no wireless :/ I believe someone else is having the same problem. If I run 10.5.7 pre upgrade script and reinstalled 10.5.7 the wireless starts working again but the graphics are back to pre nVidia shape.

Any ideas?

Just an update. I installed a fresh copy of 10.5.6 and then the nVidia driver and it worked! Previously I had been installing 10.5.6, updating to 10.5.7 then installing the nVidia drivers.

I will try to upgrade to 10.5.7 tonight and hopefully it works ;)

Ok, so that did not go so well. Once I rebooted after the 10.5.7 upgrade the video went back to 1024x768. So 10.5.7 is blowing up the video drivers but I have no idea why?!

lspci lists the nvidia. What else can I try?

Oh, the wireless stopped working too!?!?!

Ok, so that did not go so well. Once I rebooted after the 10.5.7 upgrade the video went back to 1024x768. So 10.5.7 is blowing up the video drivers but I have no idea why?!

What wireless card do you have and what nvidia drivers are you using?

If you enable a system password in CMOS, sleep will work :P

It works on my D820, but you have to type your password when resuming.

Regards

heikland

I've tried that with limited success. Often, the video comes back all fouled up so I disable sleep.

What wireless card do you have and what nvidia drivers are you using?

I have a Dell wireless card (1390?) and am using the nVidia 620 drivers you posted earlier in this thread.

I have access to a lot of 620's so I got one with the Dell wireless and Intel graphics and have it running at 10.5.8 without a single problem thanks to your work. I really do appreciate everything you have done!!!!

I have a Dell wireless card (1390?) and am using the nVidia 620 drivers you posted earlier in this thread.

I have access to a lot of 620's so I got one with the Dell wireless and Intel graphics and have it running at 10.5.8 without a single problem thanks to your work. I really do appreciate everything you have done!!!!

First, what I posted for the Nvidia machines does not contain a driver for Nvidia. It's just a change in the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist that enables autodetection for Nvidia chipsets with stock drivers, and I removed kexts necessary to make Intel graphics work from /Extra/extensions.mkext , since they aren't needed for Nvidia machines.

I don't do ANYTHING with wifi kexts. I included some in the 10.8 update directory in case the 10.5.8 update messed up wifi (like mine do half of the time) you guys could add them into your /Extra/extensions.mkext. Since yours is messing up a step early, you could try adding those kexts into /Extra/extensions.mkext a step early and see what happens. If you still have issues, I'd try a different wifi card. I recommmend a 1490 or 1510 card from Ebay - mine work fine. If you have a problem with your Dell wireless card after the 10.5.7 update, then I don't think the wirelss card is working right - at least not like the 1490 DW cards that were supplied in my D620s when I got them.

My CD was originally meant for D620s with Intel graphics, since that's what I was using. That it will install Leo on so many lattitudes with Nvidia graphics was an accidental bonus, but the pre/post install requires the Nvidia fix after every update. Since the 10.5.8 kernel patch isn't on the CD, you'll need to download and install that yourself. The links are posted earlier in the thread. Basically, if you have Nvidia you can skip my update patches altogether and just install the updated patched kernels from the link.

When I have some free time, I plan to update the CD so that both Intel and Nvidia graphics are cared for and patched kernels are installed through 10.5.8 updates.

Update: D620 Nvidia replaced with Post Installer D620 D820

New post installer handles INTELGMA950 or NVIDIA graphics and includes an automated install for Chameleon 2 RC3

This will be going on a new CD if you guys approve, so please test and comment. You can run this over an existing install using my previous method.

• Download, unzip and click on post_install.command, enter password and follow 4 simple prompts. Zip-Zap-Done.

• Menu option to install Chameleon 2.0 RC3 to default primary partition (first partition ONLY)

• Should work on any Dell Lattitude with GMA950 or Nvidia graphics

• Simple menu inquires about your hardware (Just enter numbers at simple prompts)

• Builds custom /Extra/Extensions.mkext based on your hardware

• Uses appropriate .plist and patched kernel based on graphics hardware and OS level

• Now includes patched kernel for 10.5.8 update

• Includes menu option to do post install on earlier version than 10.5.6. (Single core mode)

• Includes option to fix wifi issue that commonly arises after 10.5.8 update

• Easier to customize & experiment - just add test kexts to the kx/base directory before starting post_install

• No terminal commands. Just click on post_install.command. Follow menu prompts. Simpler. Faster. Better. Easier.

• Did I say menu driven? Did I say simpler and faster and better and easier?

If you have any issues, please try this. If Leopard is on your first partition and you just want to update the Chameleon installed from my cd, please try this out.

Disclaimer: Not tested on anything other than D620/D820 (Intel or Nvidia) or D630 (Nvidia Only). Please, PLEASE post results. Your feedback led to this.

Once again, D620 Nvidia fix has been replaced with Post Installer D620 D820

VERY MUCH!! :)

Alright then. I am typing this reply on a D620 (Nvidia) with SL 10.6.1 with everything working except sleep.

Ethernet, bluetooth, airport, sound, battery meter, vid - all devices are working in 32 bit mode, and seems to be stable in dual core mode.

I can recompile the kextcache for 64 bit mode. Running in 64 bit mode, I lose ethernet and the system is less stable. The working ethernet kext I have evidently needs an update. Without that kext, I think the system may be more stable in 64 bit mode.

I installed from a flash drive with my SL copied to it. I have installed nothing in s/l/e. I still need to test on the Intel GMA950 machine and on my D630 nvidia before I am ready to release an update. I also need to build a boot CD for SL and update the post installer I posted last night with the Snow Leo project. There's still a lot to do, but the good news is that SL runs good on a D620 with Nvidia.

Other news: there's a new voodoo kext that eliminates the need for patched kernels. There's an SL version and a Leo version. This means most apple updates should not require patching for Nvidia machines, and just the pre-10.5.7 patch for IntelGMA950 machines. If I can get a dsdt.aml working for the GMA950 crowd, then all of the patches for updates may be unnecessary. Worst case, We'll have a patch for GMA950 before the 10.5.7 update or 10.5.8 combo update, and the patch for the airport fix for those who need it after 10.5.8. After the post install, a max total of two - that's it.

I experimented with two fingered scrolling, but I am so used to the Intel way I ripped it back out again. I think I like it better without.

If you have a minute, back up your /Extra folder and give my new post install a try. It's really fast and easy, and it takes any fuss out of how to post-install, add your own kexts, and patch for OS updates. It's also a preview of how the SL post installer will work. Easier. Faster. Better. Simpler.

You really need to download and try the new post installer.

32 bit mode testing:

Update 1: I just slipped my Snow Leopard hard drive out of the D620 Nvidia and into the D630 Nvidia and everything still works - and the D630 Firewire port works, too. I am posting this update on that machine. Same issue with Leo remains - shutdown/restart hang.

Update 2: I added GMA950 kexts, and I am posting this on a D620 with GMA950 graphics - everything works. I am still using the ancient appleintelintegratedframbuffer.kext that produces minor artifacts, but everything works.

I have a boot CD for Snow Leopard of sorts working. I plan to post a new SL compatible boot CD Saturday evening (EST). That will give me time to put a document in and polish up the post install scripts.

There is one issue I am still working on: I don't like the speed of the install from CD - it's slow. But hey - it works. If I can speed it up between now and Sat evening, I'll do that too.

On my machines, the screen doesn't like to wake once it's turned off, so in order to keep tabs on the install I kept wiggling the cursor once every minute or so. Once I forgot, the screen went blank and I got a garbled screen and I couldn't see a thing. I just let it lay seemingly dead for about 40 minutes and lo and behold, it rebooted with Snow successfully installed.

If anyone would like to test what I have, speak up.

I have a boot CD for Snow Leopard of sorts working. I plan to post a new SL compatible boot CD Saturday evening (EST). That will give me time to put a document in and polish up the post install scripts.

There is one issue I am still working on: I don't like the speed of the install from CD - it's slow. But hey - it works. If I can speed it up between now and Sat evening, I'll do that too.

On my machines, the screen doesn't like to wake once it's turned off, so in order to keep tabs on the install I kept wiggling the cursor once every minute or so. Once I forgot, the screen went blank and I got a garbled screen and I couldn't see a thing. I just let it lay seemingly dead for about 40 minutes and lo and behold, it rebooted with Snow successfully installed.

My D820 is eagerly awaiting your SL boot CD!! I'll definitely give it a go!

I've tried umpteen times to install SL on my D820 using just as many suggested methods. I can always achieve a nominally successful installation, but a reboot always generates a kernel panic. Leo 5.8 performs flawlessly, but I had about given up hope that I could run 10.6 on the Latitude. If you come up with an install CD that gets me past that KP I'll be over the moon.

I've tried umpteen times to install SL on my D820 using just as many suggested methods. I can always achieve a nominally successful installation, but a reboot always generates a kernel panic. Leo 5.8 performs flawlessly, but I had about given up hope that I could run 10.6 on the Latitude. If you come up with an install CD that gets me past that KP I'll be over the moon.

PM Sent, but you didn't say if you had Nvidia or Intel graphics. If you get a kernel panic on the first reboot, try a couple more times before giving up. At least that's what I did back when I ran IPC.

Dude, how am I supposed to get amped at the boneyard when I don't know if you maxed out or got nailed? Report please!

LOL - I'm up and running with SL on my D820 with nvidia graphics. The installer took about an hour to run and I was constantly moving the mouse to make sure the display wasn't going to sleep (it did the first time I tried the installer and the display never came back on).

I'll spend today playing around with SL and see if anything unusual happens, but so far it's rock solid (except for it not being able to go to sleep correctly).

AWESOME Installer - much easier than the 10.5 installer!

LOL - I'm up and running with SL on my D820 with nvidia graphics. The installer took about an hour to run and I was constantly moving the mouse to make sure the display wasn't going to sleep (it did the first time I tried the installer and the display never came back on).

I'll spend today playing around with SL and see if anything unusual happens, but so far it's rock solid (except for it not being able to go to sleep correctly).

AWESOME Installer - much easier than the 10.5 installer!

Perfect. I'll make the tweak in the DOC based on your PM while I am finishing up, and we'll release the CD very soon. Please keep us posted.

I did find that I was able to cut install time considerably by not installing the print drivers and language translations. Also, I added a couple of kexts that are supposd to be for I/O. I don't know if they really have any impact speeding things up, but my last test install went perfectly and took a total of about 40 - 45 minutes. I have a network printer, and was easily able to install it by letting SL download and install the most recent drivers. Seems pretty silly to install a huge print driver package that for the most part will never be used.

Then I'd say based on StevoDevo's results, prepare to be over the moon.

Leppy - I tried in launch Aperture on the SL install (with nVidia graphics) and got an error "The installed graphics card does not meet the minimum requirements for Aperture". This worked fine on the Leo install (same hardware).

Any ideas how to get around this? Need my Aperture!! :)

Leppy - I tried in launch Aperture on the SL install (with nVidia graphics) and got an error "The installed graphics card does not meet the minimum requirements for Aperture". This worked fine on the Leo install (same hardware).

Any ideas how to get around this? Need my Aperture!! :)

Whoops. Since system profiler doesn't report on hardware acceleration in Snow, I am not sure we really have hardware accelerated graphics now.

By the way, what's Aperture?

Edit: I just checked my D620/nvidia, and it has QE/QI enabled as far as I can tell. Chess works. DVD player works. Front row works. I see stars through the menu bar.

I just checked on Aperture, and it seems earlier versions are not compatible with Snow Leopard. Check your version against the current one.

If that doesn't work and other QE apps are working, then I can't explain it.

Whoops. Since system profiler doesn't report on hardware acceleration in Snow, I am not sure we really have hardware accelerated graphics now.

By the way, what's Aperture?

Edit: I just checked my D620/nvidia, and it has QE/QI enabled as far as I can tell. Chess works. DVD player works. Front row works. I see stars through the menu bar.

I just checked on Aperture, and it seems earlier versions are not compatible with Snow Leopard. Check your version against the current one.

If that doesn't work and other QE apps are working, then I can't explain it.

Here's what System Profiler says about my graphics card:

nVidia Graphics Card:

Chipset Model: nVidia Graphics Card

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x01d8

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: Silent Natit x86_64 v1.0.2

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Display Connector:

Here's what System Profiler says about my graphics card:

nVidia Graphics Card:

Chipset Model: nVidia Graphics Card

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x01d8

Revision ID: 0x00a1

ROM Revision: Silent Natit x86_64 v1.0.2

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Display Connector:

Yeah, pretty much the same as mine, except resolution. I only get 1440x900 resolution with the 14" screen. Unfortunately, Apple took the part out of the profiler that reported hardware graphics acceleration.

Really, check your Aperture revision. I read that you need Aperture 2 with the latest patches to run on SL. Also, check your other built in apps that require QE - like Chess, Front Row, DVD player. If they are working, so are your graphics, and you need a fix for Aperture.

Hi - I'm also interested in testing out the DVD for my DELL D620 (with Intel GMA950 graphics).

How do I join in?

If you bought yourself a copy of the Snow Leopard DVD, stay tuned. I am releasing a boot CD that will allow you to install it on your D620/D820 (any graphics) D630/D830 (Nvidia only) for it shortly. It should run on other D series with similar hardware.

Yeah, pretty much the same as mine, except resolution. I only get 1440x900 resolution with the 14" screen. Unfortunately, Apple took the part out of the profiler that reported hardware graphics acceleration.

Really, check your Aperture revision. I read that you need Aperture 2 with the latest patches to run on SL. Also, check your other built in apps that require QE - like Chess, Front Row, DVD player. If they are working, so are your graphics, and you need a fix for Aperture.

I don't think the acceleration is working. DVD player reports an error "A valid video device could not be found for playback". Chess works okay, Front Row won't launch either.

I am running the latest Aperture version too 2.1.4 and it gives the graphics card error.