[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

leppy700m

1,332 posts in this topic

Leppy,

thx. for the new file I'll give you feed back as soon as I got it going.

Again thx man, you are the best.

No problem. Folks, don't forget to add the following kexts to your install if you find your laptop running on the hot side. I still haven't found adequate PM without these kexts.

BTW the only kexts I added were AppleACPIThermal.kext and VoodooPower.kext - they give me a cooler laptop with speedstepping. I am attaching them for your convenience. Just put in /Extra/Extensions and run the nice rebuild mkext script provided. pmkexts

Hi Leppy,

Just used your install method. Install was pretty flawless...no issues yet, however I've only been running for about an hour or so now so we shall see. No video issues, ethernet port is working and I'm running Software Updates as I type this. My 620 has an intel wireless, so I'll probably grab a replacement off of ebay.

Thank you SO VERY MUCH for the incredible work you've done!

cheers.

Just installed the new update you posted. Everything is working great - ethernet is up and running, restart now works. Great job.

Questions - Can I put a T7500 in the D620? The processor came out of a D630. It runs a 2.2 Ghz, which is a lot faster than the T5500 I have.

Just installed the new update you posted. Everything is working great - ethernet is up and running, restart now works. Great job.

Questions - Can I put a T7500 in the D620? The processor came out of a D630. It runs a 2.2 Ghz, which is a lot faster than the T5500 I have.

No. D630 is socket P. D620 is socket M.

After nearly giving up over the weekend, I stumbled upon The Leppy Method and now have a 10.6.2 Dell D630 with 4GB ram and NVidia graphics. I used some kexts from other sources, including a PCMCIA that enabled me to briefly use a D-Link N PC Card, but for the most part I stuck with what was provided here. That PC Card hack was just that: sometimes I'd get half an hour, sometimes 2 minutes. I gave up and ordered a Broadcom card from eBay (already shipping, for $23.95 after including shipping charges) so all that's left is wireless and of course restart and/or shutdown. I know to forego sleeping, and that's OK if it at least shuts down properly.

I'm about to try that newest ZIP file to see what happens. I have the boot CD ready just in case and if everything's kosher, I will be doing a SuperDuper job to an external drive and then I'll always be golden.

Don't get me wrong, though, I'm getting a 13" Mac Book Pro as soon as I can, but this'll tide me over while I save.

After nearly giving up over the weekend, I stumbled upon The Leppy Method ™ and now have a 10.6.2 Dell D630 with 4GB ram and NVidia graphics. I used some kexts from other sources, including a PCMCIA that enabled me to briefly use a D-Link N PC Card, but for the most part I stuck with what was provided here. That PC Card hack was just that: sometimes I'd get half an hour, sometimes 2 minutes. I gave up and ordered a Broadcom card from eBay (already shipping, for $23.95 after including shipping charges) so all that's left is wireless and of course restart and/or shutdown. I know to forego sleeping, and that's OK if it at least shuts down properly.

I'm about to try that newest ZIP file to see what happens. I have the boot CD ready just in case and if everything's kosher, I will be doing a SuperDuper job to an external drive and then I'll always be golden.

Don't get me wrong, though, I'm getting a 13" Mac Book Pro as soon as I can, but this'll tide me over while I save.

After nearly giving up over the weekend, I stumbled upon The Leppy Method and now have a 10.6.2 Dell D630 with 4GB ram and NVidia graphics. I used some kexts from other sources, including a PCMCIA that enabled me to briefly use a D-Link N PC Card, but for the most part I stuck with what was provided here. That PC Card hack was just that: sometimes I'd get half an hour, sometimes 2 minutes. I gave up and ordered a Broadcom card from eBay (already shipping, for $23.95 after including shipping charges) so all that's left is wireless and of course restart and/or shutdown. I know to forego sleeping, and that's OK if it at least shuts down properly.

That newest zip file will probably cause your machine to panic. It is for a D620, not a D630.

(n00b backs quietly away from the thread and puts back the setup that was just there...nothing to see here. Everything's fine.)

Good noob. Just so happens I've got a D630/Nvidia, and that's next on my list of machines to tweak. Stay tuned - maybe this weekend. You can probably still add the PM kexts from a few posts back.

I know my limits, that's all - that, and I listen to sage advice. Now I have some PM kexts to hunt down. Joy. ;)

Good noob. Just so happens I've got a D630/Nvidia, and that's next on my list of machines to tweak. Stay tuned - maybe this weekend. You can probably still add the PM kexts from a few posts back.

If you meant the *Thermal and VoodooPower kexts, I've already got those. In fact, I should be more thorough. Here's what I've got:

Dell D630, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, no wireless (until Broadcom arrives)

My Extra looks thusly:

com.apple.boot.plist

/Extensions

rebuild_mkext.command [simply, freakin' invaluable!]

/Themes

/tmp

and in Extensions I have:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

AppleACPIThermal.kext

AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

AppleRTC.kext

Disabler.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBLockStorageInjector.kext

IOATAFamily.kext

IOAudioFamily.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

OSvKernDSPLib.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

VoodooBattery.kext

VoodooHDA.kext

VoodooPower.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext

VoodooPS2Mouse.kext

VoodooTSCSync.kext

The kexts not included in Leppy's ISO were acquired from a blog elsewhere regarding the D630. I'm not sure if they're strictly necessary, but things are working so I'm loathe to remove them.

Waiting to see what Leppy comes up with specifically for the D630. Consider me willing to serve as guinea pig.

I'm looking forward for your D630 tweak I also have a D630 with nVida card. I hope and pray that you'll get the restart/shutdown fixed. That is the only issue that I'm encounter with the D630.

Seconded. Resolution at 1440x900 is awesome; wireless with the Broadcom should be great; USB, at least with thumbdrives, works (I'll try SuperDuper tonight to a hard drive); shutdown is the last great thing.

I'm looking forward for your D630 tweak I also have a D630 with nVida card. I hope and pray that you'll get the restart/shutdown fixed. That is the only issue that I'm encounter with the D630.

Seconded. Resolution at 1440x900 is awesome; wireless with the Broadcom should be great; USB, at least with thumbdrives, works (I'll try SuperDuper tonight to a hard drive); shutdown is the last great thing.
That reminds me - 1440x900 isn't going to work for everyone. The com.apple.Boot.plist may have to be edited for the correct resolution on machines that don't have 1440x900 displays.

And therein lies the dilemma. Naturally I'd prefer full sleep support with shutdown, firewire, etc, that comes with an actual Mac (13" MacBook Pro), but that limited resolution just bugs me. That's why I'd really like to get shutdown/restart working with Broadcom wireless on my D630 with the wonderful 1440x900 resolution.

eBay still has some option-bay batteries available, so although it'd be on the heavy side, the D630 could have some serious uptime to it, albeit without the optical drive.

Another thought is to have a spare harddrive cover/sled available to make quick-swapping among different systems available for those of us who don't want to tempt fate with multi-booting on the same drive.

That reminds me - 1440x900 isn't going to work for everyone. The com.apple.Boot.plist may have to be edited for the correct resolution on machines that don't have 1440x900 displays.

Great guide Leppy,

I'm having a problem with the Post Install command. After I , Double click on post_install.cmd. all I get is the terminal that says.

"WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort."

At this point it doesn't let me type anything in the terminal. I dont even have a password. I hit enter and it says "wrong password. All I can do is abort. This can't be right is it? Anyone else run into this problem?

Great guide Leppy,

I'm having a problem with the Post Install command. After I , Double click on post_install.cmd. all I get is the terminal that says.

At this point it doesn't let me type anything in the terminal. I dont even have a password. I hit enter and it says "wrong password. All I can do is abort. This can't be right is it? Anyone else run into this problem?

You need to re-install, and this time on first boot when you are setting up account info and when you are prompted to enter a password, enter one and pay careful attention to what it is. You should be back to post install within 40 minutes.

You need to run the post install as root, and that requires your root password.

And therein lies the dilemma. Naturally I'd prefer full sleep support with shutdown, firewire, etc, that comes with an actual Mac (13" MacBook Pro), but that limited resolution just bugs me. That's why I'd really like to get shutdown/restart working with Broadcom wireless on my D630 with the wonderful 1440x900 resolution.

eBay still has some option-bay batteries available, so although it'd be on the heavy side, the D630 could have some serious uptime to it, albeit without the optical drive.

Another thought is to have a spare harddrive cover/sled available to make quick-swapping among different systems available for those of us who don't want to tempt fate with multi-booting on the same drive.

I'd trade the quality of a 13" MacBook Pro display for the 1440x900 resolution my D630 has anyday. I really like the Lattitude D's, but not for their brilliant displays. I'd also love to have a backlit keyboard.

I wish Apple would make a MacBook Pro that had a D/Port like docking station. I'd be all over it. I am totally uninterested in plugging in a half dozen devices (okay 5 - two monitors, a keyboard, a mouse and 1000gb ethernet) every time I work at a desk with my laptop. Still, I'd like a 13" Mac.

Edit: I forgot power. It is half a dozen devices.

You need to re-install, and this time on first boot when you are setting up account info and when you are prompted to enter a password, enter one and pay careful attention to what it is. You should be back to post install within 40 minutes.

You need to run the post install as root, and that requires your root password.

I'd trade the quality of a 13" MacBook Pro display for the 1440x900 resolution my D630 has anyday. I really like the Lattitude D's, but not for their brilliant displays. I'd also love to have a backlit keyboard.

I wish Apple would make a MacBook Pro that had a D/Port like docking station. I'd be all over it. I am totally uninterested in plugging in a half dozen devices (okay 5 - two monitors, a keyboard, a mouse and 1000gb ethernet) every time I work at a desk with my laptop. Still, I'd like a 13" Mac.

Edit: I forgot power. It is half a dozen devices.

It didn't work! Same problem, it won't let me type in my password in the terminal. I think it may be the fact that I'm using an external Dvd drive to install the SL. My internal DVD ROM drive wouldn't read the boot cd unless it was burned to a DVD. And the SL Retail DVD won't go pass the 26 min mark during the installation in the internal drive. It just reads and never fully spins up. After 20 minutes or so it just stops. I'm just going to buy an internal DVD+RW drive and try with it. I always wanted to install one anyway. Thanks for the response.

It didn't work! Same problem, it won't let me type in my password in the terminal. I think it may be the fact that I'm using an external Dvd drive to install the SL. My internal DVD ROM drive wouldn't read the boot cd unless it was burned to a DVD. And the SL Retail DVD won't go pass the 26 min mark during the installation in the internal drive. It just reads and never fully spins up. After 20 minutes or so it just stops. I'm just going to buy an internal DVD+RW drive and try with it. I always wanted to install one anyway. Thanks for the response.
Okay, if you aren't getting to the account creation step during the first boot, as you suspected, the install wasn't complete. You could restore the MAC DVD to a 8 GB USB thumb drive and try that before buying another DVD drive.

I am not sure, I don't think Dr Hurt has ever posted anything on this thread. He's done some good work, just not here. But there have been lots of people here who have posted some good information here and clued me in on a few things. In the past few pages alone, SA2CC and consolation have contributed a lot - among many others from previous pages.

I used to use your dual boot method for WINXP and it was fine, but WIN7 gets hosed up after the Chameleon install. It shows up on the boot menu, but then I have to boot the win7 installer, repair the startup and then set by Snow partition active from the WIN7 diskpart utility. I find your method works with a couple steps added to work here - and one of them is from the WIN 7 command line.

One more time for the record: I don't use the various trackpad kexts floating around because they never work right for me on the D620s. Or maybe it's just me, but I really prefer the machine without whatever scrolling people think they are missing. I ripped the plugins out of voodoops2 and ditched the trackpad part, keeping what I liked. Trackpad kexts make the thing act like it's in dire need of a a heroine fix - expecially after wake from sleep. Your mileage may vary, and of course, you are free to customize your machine your way.

Exactly Right. I think I even mentioned that in the guide.

I am quite sure I don't know how to add anything to that either.

Hey man you're the reason I bought my D430. I saw this thread, was looking for a portable laptop and was very interested in installing osx and put 2 and 2 together and purchased the D430. You are the man without a doubt and all the others who've helped in this thread and helped in general with osx.

I know Dr Hurt never posted here. What I was trying to say was he released a modified chamleon that works perfectly with OSX and Win 7 without repairing the win 7 bootloader. If people are interested in dual booting it should really help and with the laptop containing only one hd thought people would want something that would make it easy.

Again wasn't trying to take anything away from you. Like I said you're the man for making it as easy as 1,2,3 in respects to installing SL and my D430 is amazing now. So yeah hope no more miscommunication and thanks for all the hard work. I'll try and help as much as I can.

I did find a working voodoops2controller that lets me scroll with perfection on my d430 now. Not sure if you want to try it but absolutely no problems at all. Supposedly only works with 32bit but I can't try 64 as I've got the intel graphics

Scrolling

That's the link. Try it out and let me know how it goes. I just put it in extra/extensions and ran mkext rebuilt cmd.

I'm happy to say everything works for me except the curser in Office for MAC. The curser/mouse artifacts and tears. After some research it seems it's related to the intelgma950 but everything I've tried has failed. Replaced some kexts in the gma kext folder, rebooted and got a black screen so had to completely start from fresh :D. Has anyone noticed this problem?

Hey man you're the reason I bought my D430. I saw this thread, was looking for a portable laptop and was very interested in installing osx and put 2 and 2 together and purchased the D430. You are the man without a doubt and all the others who've helped in this thread and helped in general with osx.

I know Dr Hurt never posted here. What I was trying to say was he released a modified chamleon that works perfectly with OSX and Win 7 without repairing the win 7 bootloader. If people are interested in dual booting it should really help and with the laptop containing only one hd thought people would want something that would make it easy.

Again wasn't trying to take anything away from you. Like I said you're the man for making it as easy as 1,2,3 in respects to installing SL and my D430 is amazing now. So yeah hope no more miscommunication and thanks for all the hard work. I'll try and help as much as I can.

I did find a working voodoops2controller that lets me scroll with perfection on my d430 now. Not sure if you want to try it but absolutely no problems at all. Supposedly only works with 32bit but I can't try 64 as I've got the intel graphics

Scrolling

That's the link. Try it out and let me know how it goes. I just put it in extra/extensions and ran mkext rebuilt cmd.

I'm happy to say everything works for me except the curser in Office for MAC. The curser/mouse artifacts and tears. After some research it seems it's related to the intelgma950 but everything I've tried has failed. Replaced some kexts in the gma kext folder, rebooted and got a black screen so had to completely start from fresh :). Has anyone noticed this problem?

You're right about Dr. Hurt's solution for dual boot - except that I don't think he released another version of Chameleon - but he did come up with a procedure to get things working in dual boot mode on a single hard drive.

I think you can fix those artifacts if you are willing to spend some time on a DSDT fix. The key to getting the internal display working without those old kexts which cause the artifacts is to remove all the devices under vid except LCD in the DSDT. It's not really a fix so much as a brute force elimination of every other device. I'd like to see what your unmodified DSDT looks like extracted from Ubuntu. I have a feeling it's going to be very similar to the D620 GMA. If you like, I'll patch it up and send it back to you.

Regarding scrolling - I tried it again after my DSDT patches. It did not work right after resume from sleep, and to be honest, I didn't like the way it worked anyway. I like the trackpad behaving the way it does in Windows/Linux. I have to switch between different OS quite a bit so I like devices behaving in a consistent manner. If anyone else want's to use additional trackpad kexts - great for them.

Hi Leppy and all,

First of all, this is my first post, but I have followed here for a long time. Want to say, thank you for your effort!

Secondly, I must say its getting somewhat confusing regarding the development here. Reading back some pages, it looks like much development has taken place.

So my question, are the files from your second post on the first page still the old functional ones? I am going to present the world of hackintosh at a seminar next weekend, and if u dont mind, i want to present your work and demonstrate it on a latitude d420 and d620. I will be presenting this for a group of IT-technicians that mostly have a spare d420 and d620 since almost everyone just got new laptops.

have the files from d420 and the d620 differentiated? Im sorry if its a silly question, just kind of chaotic to keep up. I currently have a d420 with 10.6.2 with your guide. No probs so far (except some artifacts and sleep)

-And plz let me know if you have some spesific requirements regarding giving you the credit for your work at my presentation.

Hi Leppy and all,

First of all, this is my first post, but I have followed here for a long time. Want to say, thank you for your effort!

Secondly, I must say its getting somewhat confusing regarding the development here. Reading back some pages, it looks like much development has taken place.

So my question, are the files from your second post on the first page still the old functional ones? I am going to present the world of hackintosh at a seminar next weekend, and if u dont mind, i want to present your work and demonstrate it on a latitude d420 and d620. I will be presenting this for a group of IT-technicians that mostly have a spare d420 and d620 since almost everyone just got new laptops.

have the files from d420 and the d620 differentiated? Im sorry if its a silly question, just kind of chaotic to keep up. I currently have a d420 with 10.6.2 with your guide. No probs so far (except some artifacts and sleep)

-And plz let me know if you have some specific requirements regarding giving you the credit for your work at my presentation.

I really don't care about getting credit, but I am concerned that this will be presented at a seminar at all. This is a hobby and has zero commercial potential. This might be fun for a bunch of IT techs, but unless this is a seminar for a bunch of people looking for a goofy way to waste private time, it's probably not an appropriate topic for any workplace. As hobbyists, Apple has left us alone. But they've come down hard on people trying to make anything commercial out of this stuff.

The first two pages contain the original boot cds for GMA950 and Nvidia Latitudes. I haven't updated them, because they are as generic as I can make them and still get a lot of old hardware up and running. We've discussed a lot of enhancements since then, but I haven't packaged anything in that manner since the D620SV1.iso. There's a few typos to correct and PM enhancements I have been meaning to add.

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

First of all, I dont think you need to be concerned, this will only be used as a demonstration of the possibility and it will not be used in any commercial use at all. The main goal is to show people that it can be achieved, why it can, and why it is problematic in some cases.

And the participants just love goofy things, most of the presentations at this seminar is goofy technology included this :(

-And the main reason this is actually going to be presented is because so many actually wanted to know about this.

Okay, if you aren't getting to the account creation step during the first boot, as you suspected, the install wasn't complete. You could restore the MAC DVD to a 8 GB USB thumb drive and try that before buying another DVD drive.

Oh no, I can completely install and create password just fine using the external DVD drive. The problems occurs after first boot. When I double click the post install cmd on the boot cd. The terminal that comes up will not allow me to type any kind of text into it. It just reads

Is this part of the Post install Cmd procedure? Or am I double clicking something other that what I should?

Oh no, I can completely install and create password just fine using the external DVD drive. The problems occurs after first boot. When I double click the post install cmd on the boot cd. The terminal that comes up will not allow me to type any kind of text into it. It just reads

Is this part of the Post install Cmd procedure? Or am I double clicking something other that what I should?

I figured it out. It didn't show the text I was typing for my password but, it still registered it.

Thanks for your help.

I shoulda piped up sooner. :D . I ran into that same thing myself, but only briefly until I realized that I actually did have focus on the right window. There's just no way to tell you've got the right window and that anything is happening until you hit Enter and the script completes.

Shame you had to go through all that uncertainty, but glad you figured it out.

I figured it out. It didn't show the text I was typing for my password but, it still registered it.

Thanks for your help.