[Guide & Boot CD] D-Series Latitude/w NVIDIA or GMA950 and Intel Dual Core Retail Installs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1331 replies to this topic

jh49

jh49

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Hi, is it possible to start Leppy's SL CD from USB flash? If it is, can someone tell me how to make the bootable USB flash drive? Thanks.

dustpuppy

dustpuppy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
10.6.0 Boot CD for Snow Leopard Retail Install here: D620SLV1.iso

Works like a charm! I can't thank you enough for this.

Very good work!

I was wondering, if I replaced my current core duo for a T7200 core 2 duo, would that mess things up?

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

10.6.0 Boot CD for Snow Leopard Retail Install here: D620SLV1.iso

Works like a charm! I can't thank you enough for this.

Very good work!

I was wondering, if I replaced my current core duo for a T7200 core 2 duo, would that mess things up?

Changing CPUS should not impact the install provided you are using a CPU designed for your system.

A T7200 should be fine in a D620.

nub4life

nub4life

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

You can get Dell DW 1490s and 1500/1510s on Ebay on the cheap. They work well.

Just wanted to give you an update. Got my DW 1490 today and installed it. Now replying to this thread via my wireless connection on my hackintosh! Thanks a lot Leppy!!

Mark Rose

Mark Rose

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi:

Did anyone get the DVD player application to work? I keep on receiving an initialization error [-70013]. As a workaround, I have been using VLC. If this has been previously covered, I apologize. Thanks in advance!

Mark
- Dell D620 (2.16GHz Core 2 Duo / NVidia graphics / 4G RAM / Dell Wireless)
- Mac OS X 10.6.2

Mikkp

Mikkp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Hi:

Did anyone get the DVD player application to work? I keep on receiving an initialization error [-70013]. As a workaround, I have been using VLC. If this has been previously covered, I apologize. Thanks in advance!

Mark
- Dell D620 (2.16GHz Core 2 Duo / NVidia graphics / 4G RAM / Dell Wireless)
- Mac OS X 10.6.2

VLC is the best bet. Noone has yet to discover a fix.
Hope the 10.6.3 update fixes it.

Mikk.

Antonius138

Antonius138

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Hello all,

I am finally getting around to doing the Windows 7 Snowy Dual Boot. I followed the instructions in the previous posts, and I was able to get Windows 7 installed on its own partition and then I rebooted in and made different partitions active, the thing I do not see if where it lists the different operating systems. In the Dell Chameleon boot screen I only see my Snow Leopard choice and nothing for Windows 7. I hit the down arrow and the enter key and it just selects the only option which is Snow Leopard. Do I need to edit something to see the Windows 7 option listed to boot into it?

Thanks for any help!

Anthony

StevoDevo

StevoDevo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
Hey Leppy,

It's been a while and I wanted to check in quickly to see if you'd worked out how to get standby working on the Dell D820's running SL? I've been loving my SL on my D820 but the only thing that would make it better is to have standby working!!

Let me know if you've worked out any magic here!!

Steve

Mikkp

Mikkp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Hey Leppy,

It's been a while and I wanted to check in quickly to see if you'd worked out how to get standby working on the Dell D820's running SL? I've been loving my SL on my D820 but the only thing that would make it better is to have standby working!!

Steve

This topic is mainly focused on D620's. And it seemes that since the D620 has not been hacked to get sleep working than probably the D820 is far from it.

Mikk.

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Hey Leppy,

Steve

Sadly, no. A lot of people have worked on this. Some report some success when the bios is set to use a password on resume. It never worked reliably for me.

Masterz1337

Masterz1337

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Great tutorial, unfortunately, I can't get past the welcome video when installing OSX. Soon as the video is that the screen gets all garbled, and then the video starts to play again but the screen is all white. Anyone else have this problem? I'm using a Dell Latitude D620.

Edit: Turns out that having a slipstreamed hacked version of OSX on the hard drive and this tutorial don't work so well, after formatting the drive everything worked perfect. I just can't get it to wake up from sleep, which seems to be normal.

Mikkp

Mikkp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Great tutorial, unfortunately, I can't get past the welcome video when installing OSX. Soon as the video is that the screen gets all garbled, and then the video starts to play again but the screen is all white. Anyone else have this problem? I'm using a Dell Latitude D620.

What graphics card are you using?

M.

l3osx

l3osx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks to leppy and everyone else who contributed to this thread. I've spent several hours tinkering with my D620 mostly because I want to triple boot Windows 7, Snow Leopard (SL) and Linux. I'd like to share my experience below.

My D620 came originally with a 60 GB hard drive. I've since replaced this with a 500 GB hard drive. My original hard drive partititon configuration (500 GB) before Snow Leopard:

MBR partition table:
1. Primary partition (hidden): about 100 MB, DellUtitlity (factory fresh install)
2. Primary partition: 40 GB, Windows XP
3. Primary partition: 50 GB, Windows Vista
4. Extended partition (logical): 50 GB, Windows 7
5. Logical partition: 325 GB, Data

In the end, this is what I did to get SL and Linux Mint onto this drive WITHOUT having to reformat, since SL will only install on a GUID partition scheme.

1. I take out the 500 GB HD and put back the old 60 GB HD and install SL using Leppy's guide (SL is installed on the first partition of 3 partitions on this 60 GB HD). Of course I had to use Disk Utility to reformat this drive using a GUID partition scheme before installing SL. (An alternative way: enclose the 60 GB HD in a USB HD case and do the same; I think this should work but I didn't think to do it this way at the time).

2. I put the 500 GB HD in a USB enclosure and connect it to the computer, then boot into the SL DVD to use Disk Utility to format the 40 GB WinXP partition with Mac OS X extended journaled file system (aka HFS+), then use Disk Utility to copy the SL partition from the 60 GB HD to the 40 GB WinXP partition on the 500 GB HD.

3. Now I switched out the 60 GB HD and put back the 500 GB HD, and boot the computer with my Windows 7 DVD and reinstall Win 7 on the 50 GB Vista partition.

4. Then I boot into Windows 7, download and install EasyBCD 1.7.2, which is a graphical boot loader manager for Windows Vista/7 boot loader. Then using EasyBCD (very easy), I add a Mac entry (Generic x86 PC) into Windows 7 boot loader and upon rebooting, I was able to select the Mac entry and boot into Chameleon, which boots SL. The interesting thing is: if I interrupt Chameleon (hit any key before it loads SL), then I also see my other partitions and if I pick the Windows 7 partition, it goes back to the Win 7 boot screen, which let me choose either Win 7 or SL.

5. I also made a GParted Live CD (freeware partition tool), then boot this and use it to delete my old 50 GB Win 7 and repartition it into a 40 GB ext3 partition and a 10 GB linux swap partition. Then I boot a Linux Mint 8 Helena DVD and choose to install in my 40 GB ext partition and this is important: click the Advanced option during the install and choose to install boot loader into the Linux partition, which is /dev/sda6 in my case (this Linux distro comes with GRUB 2 (v 1.97beta4)). The reason is that I want my computer to boot up with Win 7 boot loader instead of GRUB 2. If you let GRUB 2 install by default to (hd0), it will install to the MBR and take over.

6. Then I boot into Win 7 again, fire up EasyBCD, add a Linux entry. For Type, choose Grub. For Drive, choose the the partition labeled "Linux native," modify the name to anything you like (it doesn't have to say NeoSmart Linux), then click Add entry.

7. So now when I boot up my computer, there are 3 entries on the Windows 7 bootloader, one each for the 3 OSes (I've set it to load Win 7 by default). If I choose the Mac entry, then I get Chameleon, which loads SL by default (but I interrupts it by hitting any key before it loads SL, I can choose to load Windows 7, Linux Mint or continue on with SL. If I choose the Linux entry, then I get GRUB 2, which loads Linux Mint by default but I can interrupt and choose to load Windows 7 (it calls it Windows Vista bootloader) or SL (the default entry for Mac OS X does not work, so I have to google and add a custom entry to load Chameleon). I have since customized my GRUB 2 entries to remove all the non-working or unwanted entries and now it only has 4 entries: Linux Mint, Linux Mint (recovery mode), Win 7, and Mac OS X.

In short, no matter which bootloader I'm at, I can load any of my 3 OSes.

My Dell D620 specs: Core 2 Duo T5500 (1.67 GHz), 4 GB SDRAM DDR2 5300 667 MHz (two 2 GB sticks), 500 GB HD, GMA 950 graphics 1440x900 res, Dell 1490 (Broadcom 4312) wireless.

My current MBR partition configuration:
1. Primary partition (hidden): about 100 MB, DellUtitlity (factory fresh install)
2. Primary partition: 40 GB, Snow Leopard
3. Primary partition: 50 GB, Windows 7
4. Extended partition (logical partition): 40 GB, Linux Mint
5. Logical partition: 10 GB, linux swap
6. Logical partition: about 320 GB, Data

Below is a screenshot of my EasyBCD entries.

Attached Files

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Thanks to leppy and everyone else who contributed to this thread. I've spent several hours tinkering with my D620 mostly because I want to triple boot Windows 7, Snow Leopard (SL) and Linux. I'd like to share my experience below.

Very good work - thanks for sharing.

Mark Rose

Mark Rose

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi:

Question - is there a way to disable Tap-To-Click on the D620 trackpad? Thanks again to all for all your hard work!

Mark

Dell D620 / nVidia / Dell Wireless
OS X 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)

icebyte

icebyte

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
I just want to say thanks to leppy700m and all other contributors.
10.6 installed without fuzz on my D420, love it!

If only I could get sleep working I would be truly happy.

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

If only I could get sleep working I would be truly happy.

Sorry you're not truly happy, but if all that's standing between you and complete tranquility is digital insomnia, then buy a Macbook!

Hi:
Question - is there a way to disable Tap-To-Click on the D620 trackpad? Thanks again to all for all your hard work!

I haven't found one.

chasmataz

chasmataz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
i just wanted to say thanx for all the work you did. this is the best thing that's ever happened to this dell. SL 10.6.2 is running fine no issues updating. one panic while booting, i rebooted and there's been no issues since. thanx again.

leppy700m

leppy700m

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

i just wanted to say thanx for all the work you did. this is the best thing that's ever happened to this dell.

Thank you. I agree - these are machines that are becoming somewhat dated now and a lot of people are buying newer equipment. That means they can be found on the cheap often for less money than a netbook with 10.1 inch screen - and in the end they are much nicer.

ltoolio

ltoolio

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
Ditto to all the praise thrown upon Leppy for the files and the tutorial. I've now got me a nicely-running D620 with 10.6.2.

I as well echo all the sentiment about the desire to get sleep working, but I'll gladly wait the 4 mins (or so) too boot up.

Nice work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy