Illustrated PDF: Vanilla OSX 10.5 on the Asrock ION 330 NetTop - NB: NOT for Pro or HD versions

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
le_banni - Hi - glad you've got it sorted; I have no idea why folks haven't copied the CPU settings in the guide - there's a damn great image of what I see as usable settings in the *.pdf:

The Terratec USB thing is OK - pretty fair value I'd say - would like to get your feedback - I'm using it via optical out to drive a pair of low-end nearfield monitors.

Huzze - Hi - the sound issue is complex: VoodooHDA supports the VIA vinyl audio processor perfectly OK; but the audio entries in the dsdt are weird - unlike any other I have seen. Thank you, as ever, for your valuable firsthand input. You do need to remove AppleHDA if installing VoodooHDA.

[Edited 3rd Nov 2009]

bigsofty

bigsofty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

le_banni - Hi - glad you've got it sorted; I have no idea why folks haven't copied the CPU settings in the guide - I put up a damn great image of what I see as usable settings:

Huzze - Hi - the sound issue is complex: VoodooHDA supports the VIA vinyl audio processor perfectly OK; but the audio entries in the dsdt are weird - unlike any other I have seen. Thank you, as ever, for your valuable firsthand input. You do need to remove AppleHDA if installing VoodooHDA.

Funny enough, if you install XP PRO SP3 Media Centre, you get the same thing though HDMI sound, constant white noise, nothing will fix it, except using external speakers, which avoid using the HDMI CODEC. Windows 7/Vista is not affected. Not related directly but may be relevant.

larry100

larry100

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Great guide!!!!!!!

I've just finished to setup the OS X on a triple boot system with Windows 7 RC, Kubuntu 9.04 and OS X 10.5.8 with kernel, seatbelt and system kexts coming from 10.5.6.

I've got some pain with Hyperthreading because I didn't noticed the setting to be used into the BIOS: be sure to have the option No-Execute Memory Protect to ENABLED into BIOS.

About USB:it works smoothly with the provided bios 1.50d, thx a lot for it!!! :)

Just a note: to avoid need for a GUID partitioning scheme (I had an already partitioned and partially installed disk) I've used a modified OSInstall.mpkg, works fine.

I've some issue with restart (system just shutdown but hang with power on and I've to push power button), same with sleep.

It seams fakesmc does not work for all cases, great job anyway.

Thanks a lot once more for this precious guide.

Cheers,

Larry
;)

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Anyone know the cheapest usb souncard to hook up to the asrock 330 spdif output ofcourse (since it will be my HTPC :D
DTS etc should work on the soundcard as well.

No progress on the audio problems :|
thnx guys

. . sorry it took so long for me to track down this link: as you see, only m-audio make a suitable device for your needs.

Me I'd rather have 2 decent speakers than umpteen iffy ones . . . . .

DUally

DUally

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Hey shoarting, no problems :D
could you tell me what WiFi adapter you're using ? I couldnt find it in the guide..

Thnx !

P.S is anyone trying 10.6 on the asrock ?

k0tr@kt0r

k0tr@kt0r

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
I've tried. Use this article:
http://www.teknojunk...32-coming-soon/
Video doesn't out of the box. I installed natit_64. It works but not so good as 10.5.6. I think we should wait another driver...
I didn't test a sound.
http://www.filefacto...Recording_3_mov

Beklyn

Beklyn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Any luck with Snow Leopard yet ?

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

I've tried. Use this article:
http://www.teknojunk...32-coming-soon/
Video doesn't out of the box. I installed natit_64. It works but not so good as 10.5.6. I think we should wait another driver...
I didn't test a sound.
http://www.filefacto...Recording_3_mov

. . . won't EFI strings work in 10.6.x? - I would have made up strings for 256 & 512MB settings for the 9400m if Chameleon's injector hadn't worked so well.

I'm unlikely to bother with SL on the ION 330 until it has been developed to support the new Apple h/w with HTT (early in 2010) - IMO our little box needs the performance boost of HTT & the extra 2 'cores'

fpoil

fpoil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
thanks for your job shoarting.

But i can't flash the bios of my ion 330... i don't know why?

I downloaded the 1.50d bios, put it on a usb flash drive (tried also with a usb harddrive)

launched the bios setup, launched asrock instant flash

the AMCP7AI1.50d is recognized but the flash utility is stucked to "checking AMCP7AI1.50d"

any idea ? (tried with official 1.5 bios and same problem)

bios downloaded with osx through firefox

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
fpoil - Hi - if you're sure of the download, then suggest you do the usual: reset your BIOS settings to defaults [ie no overclock], tun off, unplug from power-brick, press power switch on front for a couple of seconds to exhaust any residual charge, unscrew then take top off, unscrew, unplug, then take out sled w/ DVD & HDD, remove round battery from motherboard, find jumper adjacent battery with 2x bare posts [I think it is labelled in tiny letters something to do with CMOS'], use screwdriver/tweezers/some small bare metal whoosit to bridge these two posts for 30 seconds, put battery back then re-assemble.

Power on & the BIOS will be at defaults - you *should* now be able to flash from your USB stick.

If you cannot flash either the 150d or the vanilla 150 BIOS, & if you are sure your USB stick is a MSDOS volume & is readable on other computers, then suggest you RMA the ION 330

fpoil

fpoil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
thanks for your response

My USB stick is a 4gb fat32 volume, so yes a MSDOS volume, readable on my imac and my akoya (msi clone)...

I will try yous suggestions... now i'm using a linux xbmc live usb stick to test xbmc on the ion (i'm a big fan of PLEX on OSX)

ps : well, it's done, just erase my USB stick, reformat and put the bios 1.5d and flash

perfect, now ready for osx

Sjakob

Sjakob

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, thanks for det easy guide.

I am new to this so forgive me if I ask some stupid questions :thanks_speechbubble:

When I have completet all the steps and then put my disk back in the ion330 it boots, and I set up the 1.5d bios, but it only just shows the apple logo and then the machine reboots.

I am using a 30Gb SSD and not the disk from the asrock, can this be why it do not work?

When I try booting in verbose mode it shows a lot of text, but the machine reboots before I can read it. Is there any way to pause the boot in verbose mode?

fpoil

fpoil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
thanks again shoarting,

10.5.6 is working fine on my ion... yes :unsure:

using USB netgear wg111v2 for the wifi (with the Realtek_RTL8187_MacOS10.4_Driver_1309_UI1.5.1), working fine on 10.5.6

using usb hercules muse pocket for the sound

But as i am a newbie in hackintosh or almost, i have another question :

To upgrade to 10.5.8 and keep hyperthreading, i have to save some kexts from 10.5.6 but which ones :

only system.kext and seatbelt.kext from system/lybrary/extensions ? and the mach_kernel i found in the root of my drive?

thanks for the response

lzthqx

lzthqx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
That is correct fpoil. System, mach_kernel and Seatbelt.

Additionally, you can change the name of the 10.5.6 kernel so you can keep several on the drive at once.
I named mine mach_kernel-1056. Then you just change the kernel flag in com.apple.Boot.plist in your /Extra folder to reflect your new name.

My Asrock seems to be working fine on 10.5.8 with the 10.5.6 kernel. But I am getting sporatic kernel panics. I am trying to track down the cause.

So far it's happened copying large files across the network, and also copying a large number of files from a USB hdd.

I've had no luck with VooDooHDA also. Won't pick it up in /Extra.

Cheers!

fpoil

fpoil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
For the moment I'm staying in 10.5.6 and have installed VoodooHDA.kext and through PLEX and SPDIF output connected to a yamaha receiver, the sound is almost perfect (stereo and 5.1).

Some movies have ugly sound but most of them have great sound :)

perahps i need a little bit more power to read my 720p movies (depends on the bitrate)

need to overclock the atom but i'm a completely newbie in overclocking so if someone can share his overclocking presets

i'm using a old keyspan receiver with one apple remote and remote buddy (certainly the greatest software for media center on osx)

i continue my tests

ps : with xbmc live usb stick on linux, even 1080p are easy to read (thanks vpau)

lzthqx

lzthqx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
I made the jump to Snow Leopard last night with much success. After reading your post about SPDIF, Im anxious to try that output (other outputs offer scratchy/hissy sound).
I am diving into dsdt.aml modifications now to see whether I can perfect this install, but otherwise this little machine As-rocks.

PS. I moved the VooDooHDA kext to S/L/E and it picked it up, thus the scratchy sound.

fpoil

fpoil

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
First I just tried PLEX, not any other apps.

And I went to the utilities folder, used the audio and midi utility to check audio output, configured the speakers...

I will try itunes tonight, just to see.

So with snow, you lost hyperthreading...

Did you try to play HD content with Quicktime X which is supposed to use hardware decoding with the geforce 9400 (opencl)?

homestarr

homestarr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Hey, I'm wondering if you guys can play Youtube HD or Hulu HD content smoothly? This is a problem on all Atom/Ion nettops running Windows, I have a slight hope that it's a different story in osx...

DUally

DUally

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
I thought 1080p on OSX wasnt a problem ?

homestarr

homestarr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Flash HD content is different because Adobe hasn't written it to put the load onto the graphics card. For now, flash HD is completely handled by your cpu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy