Illustrated PDF: Vanilla OSX 10.5 on the Asrock ION 330 NetTop - NB: NOT for Pro or HD versions

• Please log in to reply
322 replies to this topic

UN_WIRED

UN_WIRED

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:HTPC - Mac Mini - 320GB 7200RPM - 4 GB - Haupaugge HVR 950 - Eyetv - XBMC<br />PORTABLE...
Hey all, been away for a few days, but back and hoping to make some progress on our ASRock Ion's!

Something interesting I have seen on the audio using the VoodooHDA kext.....if you have the CPU under load, the audio playback is almost 100% perfect. Any chance this has something to do with HT? I am still running my vanilla 10.5.6 install with the only mofoed kext being the voodoohda.kext and removed the applehda.kext

DUally

DUally

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Good to have you back ! Can't wait for your progress on the Asrock !
[Edit] It's been quiet around here.

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
. . hoekaaaaye: things have moved on a bit.

Now running fine using just 3x kexts in /Extra/Extensions: netkas' new 'fakesmc' + 'disabler' (disables both AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement & UpstreamClient - the latter is the DRM kext & gives mouse-lag on the ION 330 & mebbe other MCP79 mobos) + 'UUID'

Shutdown & restart working fine in 10.5.6 without needing to use OpenHaltRestart - haven't yet played with sleep - fakesmc looks like changing the game re: speedstep & so on.

Hyperthreading works fine with 10.5.6 [or with the 10.5.6 kernel + system & seatbelt kexts in 10.5.8].

USB2 completely solid using BIOS 150d

Hand-edited a new dsdt to sort out actual or potential HPET/RTC/TMR issues (fassl's patcher & the 'pcwiz' GUI thingie based on it don't work) - sadly there appears to be a complex & unsorted issue with the Atom 330 preventing use of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement, even with a sorted dsdt

Using HDMI out to a Viera 37" plasma [unusual 720x1024 panel] - had to use SwitchResX to make a custom overscan-disabled resolution of 700x1216 - this works fine for 720p

Using USB sound. Will give VoodooHDA another try sometime over the w/e

DUally

DUally

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Wow that's a lotta stuff fixed !
USB2 without hassles is good !!, you say video 720p no 1080p ?

bramo

bramo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Shoarthing,

Where i get the BIOS 150d?

Thanks,

Bramo

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Hi Shoarthing,

Where i get the BIOS 150d?

Thanks,

Bramo

. . . after stresstesting I'll be updating this guide within the next 24 hours, & will include a d/l link to this beta BIOS plus a matching dsdt.aml, plus a screenshot of required USB settings.

bramo

bramo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

. . . after stresstesting I'll be updating this guide within the next 24 hours, & will include a d/l link to this beta BIOS plus a matching dsdt.aml, plus a screenshot of required USB settings.

ok

bigsofty

bigsofty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

ok

Excellent work, can't wait to try this! Well done! :(

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
Major edit 25thAug2009 adding new install-file package including BIOS 150d & a matching dsdt.aml plus new installation files: now using netkas' fakesmc . . I'd say this little box now works really well; bar the built-in audio. Have started on working out how to enable sleep: all firsthand input welcome.

xtergo

xtergo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I've got the ASrock and I'm running Ubuntu but there are too many problems with that so I want to swap to OSX. Is there still a need to remove the harddrive to do the first OSX installation (I tried to check the latest wflow files but I can't get that program to work on my Ubuntu)?

/Xter

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Hi,

I've got the ASrock and I'm running Ubuntu but there are too many problems with that so I want to swap to OSX. Is there still a need to remove the harddrive to do the first OSX installation (I tried to check the latest wflow files but I can't get that program to work on my Ubuntu)?

/Xter

. . yup. If you made a BIOS based on 150d with a corrected acpi.rom (all it would need is the CPU alias' removed plus perhaps an OSI_ entry for Darwin with the same value as Vista plus a hand-edit to a couple of places where the HPET scope is wrong) then you could install from boot-132/whatever.

. . . as things stand, the above guide is probably the simplest way to go.

What issues are there with Ubuntu? . . . in OSX 10.5.8 [with the 10.5.6 kernel & etc] the performance is pretty good - I can run Elgato Eyeytv with a dual-channel widget, recording & viewing, at mebbe 60% CPU load.

Judging by comments on the Elgato forums, this is better than on a dualG5.

Obv there's no explicit off-loading to the GPU yet - mebbe in SL . . . . .

Sound is the hassle in OSX, plus [probably] sleep.

Huzze

Huzze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Major edit 25thAug2009 adding new install-file package including BIOS 150d & a matching dsdt.aml plus new installation files: now using netkas' fakesmc . . I'd say this little box now works really well; bar the built-in audio. Have started on working out how to enable sleep: all firsthand input welcome.

Thanks shoarthing for this update.
I followed your guide ( I used combo-update 10.5.8. ). Everything is working exept built-in audio and sleep. Even my remote control (interVideo RC301) came alive.

I am very pleased :thumbsup_anim:

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
Huzze - Hi - very glad to hear this. Are you running the 10.5.8 kernel? . . . if so, sleep may be possible using voodoopower & sleepenabler, tho' I suspect for a real solution we'll have to discover then write Atom 330 power-states to a dsdt

DUally

DUally

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Wow good stuff !
Whats the issue with sleep, does it hang on sleep or just doesn't.. ?
And could you test if 1080p works under OSX ?

Thanx !

Huzze

Huzze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
shorthing - hi - I'm running 10.5.8 kernel. I vill try voodoopower & sleepenabler before I'll go back to 10.5.6 kernel to get HTT. Thanks!

DUally - hi - the sleep is a kind of half sleep and it hangs so you must shutdown with the button. The 1080p has never been an issu for me and not for any other trying this guide. Am I wrong?

I'll keep testing my little box... :rolleyes:

xtergo

xtergo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
"What issues are there with Ubuntu? . . . in OSX 10.5.8 [with the 10.5.6 kernel & etc] the performance is pretty good - I can run Elgato Eyeytv with a dual-channel widget, recording & viewing, at mebbe 60% CPU load. "

Well I've got everything to work.... but not at the same time... at least not for a long time and some workarounds are needed. The main problem is the sound. Some applications just stops the playback for other players even if they are not audio applications. Sometimes I need to swap between ALSA or OSS to get it working again... or a reboot.
Realplayer playback works but stops after some time (trying to connect) but if I just press stop and start the sound is back instantly... for some time. Youtube video playback is not smooth and I can't run so many videos before it's painful.

There are millions of advices of how to solve to problems and I've tried many of them and now my system has tons of devlices, plugins and players (some work and some don't). Playing back MMS video files via Firefox doesn't work... if not copying the URL and pasting into another browser-tab (to change the default plugin player in Firefox doesn't work... it's a known bug... 2 years old).

It's a nice OS and it could have been good for the ASRock... but not for me... not at the moment.

/Xter

Huzze

Huzze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Huzze - Hi - very glad to hear this. Are you running the 10.5.8 kernel? . . . if so, sleep may be possible using voodoopower & sleepenabler, tho' I suspect for a real solution we'll have to discover then write Atom 330 power-states to a dsdt

I have test the voodoopower & sleepenabler running 10.5.8 kernel. Restart and shutdown works ok like before. Maybe they are a bit faster. Sleep became different. It will now go to real sleep. The system seams to wake up but the monitor won't. I have test both vga and hdmi with the same result.

shoarthing

shoarthing

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
Huzze - Hi - have you had another go with VoodooHDA? . . . I have an odd issue with the optical-out of my USB soundcard . . the system volume control doesn't work, tho' individual controls [ie in iTunes] do work

le_banni

le_banni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Shoarthing,

I received my Asrock Ion 330 last weekend, and set it up last night.

I followed your tutorial and am pleased to announce that everything went smoothly, and nearly as planned.

So first thing, many thanks for this awesome tutorial.

I encountered some problems, though, but found the solutions in posts from other contributors.

First Problem : Unable to boot without cpus=1
> k0trakt0r's solution
Enable "No-execute memory protection" in BIOS

I think this setting should definitely be included in your tutorial (in the first post), as the factory default value is not the one we want.

Second Problem : Weird video behavior when dragging windows + poor video performance
> Same problem as DrPoyson
> Boils down to no video hardware acceleration
My com.apple.Boot.plist file contained an additionnal section with "device parameters" as a long string of hexadecimal values
After several attempts reinstalling chameleon with GraphicsEnabler, and no improvement, I finally removed this section, and at next reboot everything was fine.
My interpretation is that as osx + chameleon were first installed while the hard-disk was connected to my other machine (netbook hackintosh), some parameters in com.apple.Boot.plist were based on the hardware and capabilities of that machine, and not the ion chipset.
Namely, it made the system somehow believe the Ion had the same limitations as a GMA950 chipset.

By the way, I also ordered and installed the same usb audio card and usb wifi adapter as yours (I know : full copycat :hysterical: ). So I now have a fully functionnal macmini ... except for sleep but I do not plan to use this mode.

Regards
Le_Banni

Huzze

Huzze

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Huzze - Hi - have you had another go with VoodooHDA? . . . I have an odd issue with the optical-out of my USB soundcard . . the system volume control doesn't work, tho' individual controls [ie in iTunes] do work

Sorry your soundcard is't 100%. I'm still in 10.5.8 kernel and tryed to just copy voodooHDA.kext to chameleon folder /Extra/Extensions but it did't work so I used kexthelper to install it. I have not removed any other interfering kext in the system/extension folder.

The sound is little better with 10.5.8 kernel but still noisy. As I'm writing I play 2012 Doomsday with vlc-player and the sound grows better and better as the movie is playing. Strange! :)

I will play around with ubuntu and other linux distrubutions to test the boxes hardware. I read about patching AppleHDA.kext in an other tread in this forum, where they get same info and help via ubuntu. Can it be something for us?

I have very little experiens in OSX and OSX86 but I think after playing around with it on Asrock ION and other hardware it's outstanding compered with windows 7 and Linux. Then we have the Snow Leo...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy