10.5.8 is out?

jb90000

49 posts in this topic

... sohave I to reinstall the applesmbios version 28?

At least that was the one I had running before and now after the upgrade to 10.5.8. You could get it from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=112134

Since the current AppleSMBios is not working I guess you risk very little by trying it out ;-)

David

Damn...I've upgraded and after restart I've got USB back. Since I've updated from my iATKOS 10.5.5 to 10.5.7 via Software Update, I had problems mounting any USB device. I needed to have them mounted while booting or otherwise they weren't recognized.

Now, I've updated to 10.5.8, did a simple restart and everything worked like a charm (well, the sound was gone, but still listed in the System Preferences). Then I plugged in my external USB-HD and it...boom...there was it listed in the Finder and mounted on the Desktop.

But still the audio issue...so I did the permissions repair from the iATKOS-DVD, re-booted, sound where back....but now the USB isn't work again....WTF???

Does anybody know a fix for the USB mount issue?

thx in advance.

Specs are: C2D E8400 3,0GHz ; Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.1 + iATKOS 10.5.5 (updated to 10.5.8 via software update)

Damn...I've upgraded and after restart I've got USB back. Since I've updated from my iATKOS 10.5.5 to 10.5.7 via Software Update, I had problems mounting any USB device. I needed to have them mounted while booting or otherwise they weren't recognized.

Now, I've updated to 10.5.8, did a simple restart and everything worked like a charm (well, the sound was gone, but still listed in the System Preferences). Then I plugged in my external USB-HD and it...boom...there was it listed in the Finder and mounted on the Desktop.

But still the audio issue...so I did the permissions repair from the iATKOS-DVD, re-booted, sound where back....but now the USB isn't work again....WTF???

Does anybody know a fix for the USB mount issue?

thx in advance.

Specs are: C2D E8400 3,0GHz ; Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.1 + iATKOS 10.5.5 (updated to 10.5.8 via software update)

As far as I know - it´s better tor run permission repair from the working partition, not from an external disk. Only use an externel Disk to repair your harddrive.

Did you used a patch? because you have more options in the energy saver option, I don't have these options.

He's on a laptop with model identifier set as MacBook(Pro). The available settings differ depending on which model identifier you use.

I've gotten 'Allow powerbutton to sleep the computer' to appear in Energy Saver by using iMac9,1 as model identifier in smbios.plist.

For anyone who wants an easy way to update... Please head over to Netkas.org. Follow the easy steps and use OSX86tools and you'll be all set.

I'm not!

The method doesn't work for me on my DV9000 laptop. Like other people, I just get disabled trackpad, keyboard and sound. Restoring the Extensions didn't make any difference. I've tried (and reinstalled) 3 or 4 times now, so I've given up. It's 10.5.7 for me!

Funnily enough, on my desktop install, I just used 'Software Update' without doing any other steps and it worked fine.

I'm not!

The method doesn't work for me on my DV9000 laptop. Like other people, I just get disabled trackpad, keyboard and sound. Restoring the Extensions didn't make any difference. I've tried (and reinstalled) 3 or 4 times now, so I've given up. It's 10.5.7 for me!

Funnily enough, on my desktop install, I just used 'Software Update' without doing any other steps and it worked fine.

You have to edit the ACPIPlatform dependency version in ACPIPS2Nub.kext and restore your sound kext.

Seriously, why does everyone always freak out so much about these updates? Nothing interesting happened, and it rarely does. It's just minor bugfixes and security update!

Maybe it is because I have a real Mac and do not have to be scared to wreck my machine just so an Aperture instead of an iPhoto action is invoked, but isn't that as if MS fanboys would get into a frenzy about the newest patchday? And now please don't tell me they do or I'll bang my head against the next wall I can find...

Thanks a lot. I didn't even know there was an onscreen keyboard.

TBH, I've given up on 10.5.8 on my laptop at least. After trying a lot of advice, and having to do 4 or 5 re-installs, I'm going to stick with my (working perfectly) 10.5.7.

Thanks a lot. I didn't even know there was an onscreen keyboard.

TBH, I've given up on 10.5.8 on my laptop at least. After trying a lot of advice, and having to do 4 or 5 re-installs, I'm going to stick with my (working perfectly) 10.5.7.

@Imacken,

I'm on an Acer Laptop using 10.5.8 and my PS2 keyboard and trackpad work fine. I'm using Chameleon with the Extra/Extensions method and in the Extensions folder I have VoodooPS2Controller.kext.

In the VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/Plugins folder, I have:

VoodooPS2Mouse,kext, VoodooPS2Keyboard,kext and VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext.

The only thing I did is I edited the info.plist of all 4 kexts so that I have:

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

That way they all auto-load from the Extra/Extensions folder.

By the way, I am using retail Leopard 10.5.0 that I updated to 10.5.8. Even back when I using ApplePS2Controller and AppleACIPS2Nub, everything was working fine on 10.5.8 and 10.5.7. I switched to VoodooPS2Controller because there's more trackpad customizations and options in System Preference.

In addition, the beauty of using Chameleon and the Extra/Extensions folder is that all my modified kexts are in the Extra/Extensions folder. So, when I update, everything that was working in the previous version, work just as fine in the next update without me having to go back to System/Library/Extensions and making modifications. Everything has been working fine since 10.5.6. Nothing gets broken when I update. I also have com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in the Extra folder. So, I always use Vanilla AppleACPIPlatform and everything shows up perfect in about this mac and system profiler.

Good luck.

Mail app is incompatible with the new update.

I also had a problem with mail. 2 days after the install of the update, I can´t get my new mails anymore. I just reinstall my mail preferences from a time machine backup before the update and everything works fine. You find it in your user folder/preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

Good luck!

Just installed on an Acer 6935g with ideneb .... and now my trackpad and keyboard dont work!!!!

It takes plenty time to boot up .

During the booting screen I have a ban on the apple and it takes 4-5 mins before to log in !!!

any Ideas?

I had the same problem I think, and in my case it was because I have TwoFingerScrolling installed so I just removed FFScroll and SmartScroll from /Library/StartupItems/ and reboot. I got keyboadr and touchpad back. Than I installed AppleSMBios and just reinstall audio codec and powermanagement because it was missing and of course TwoFingersScrolling have to be installed again but the most imporant, it works fine now :whistle:

My problem with 10.5.8 update is that USB doesn't work anymore... kind of.

My external HDD, which has it's own power source, works normally... but everything else (including my iphone) doesn't work.

And if i plug in my USB drive... the light turns on briefly and then it turns off.

With my iphone, USB port doesn't even supply the current to charge it.

Maybe i did a mistake when updating... before updating i backed up my extensions folder, and after updating, i restored the whole thing to get the sound back (and after that, removed AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement and Disabler kexts). I did that because i figured that it was just a minor update, and that other extensions were unchanged.

Everything else works pefectly.

What should i do to get USB back?

I also had a problem with mail. 2 days after the install of the update, I can´t get my new mails anymore. I just reinstall my mail preferences from a time machine backup before the update and everything works fine. You find it in your user folder/preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip. I tried it by using Time Machine as well. but it doesnt seem to work.

I fixed my problem!!!

The problem was caused by restoring all the Extensions (although the only thing that needed fixing was sound)... seems that 10.5.7 USB kext is not the same as 10.5.8... and that caused problems

So... i did this:

1. download 10.5.8 update from apple.com

2. update again (following the steps described by netkas)

3. after everything is done, just restore the extensions you need

voila... everything works now... my flash drives, my iPhone... great!

I fixed my problem!!!

The problem was caused by restoring all the Extensions (although the only thing that needed fixing was sound)... seems that 10.5.7 USB kext is not the same as 10.5.8... and that caused problems

So... i did this:

1. download 10.5.8 update from apple.com

2. update again (following the steps described by netkas)

3. after everything is done, just restore the extensions you need

voila... everything works now... my flash drives, my iPhone... great!

Good news!

Sleep unfortunately still not working :unsure:

If you have an nvidia card, get rid of your present injection method (device properties string, DSDT patch or injector) and try NVenabler (find it at the ProjectOSX forums). Not only did it make S3 sleep work for me, I also got fully working TV-out. Note that you can only have two working displays at once, so it's either secondary monitor or TV.