OSX 10.5.8 is now in software update

276 posts in this topic

OK, first the good news. Seems to have solved the problem of my external Viewsonic 22" display resuming from sleep without flickering when connected to our Mac Book 13" aluminum with the DVI to mini display port adapter I got from an Apple dealer. Then I tried it on my Gateway laptop that has a fresh iatkos v7i which worked great with the voodoo battery and sleep working normally. 10.5.8 seems to have broken the sleep now as well the clamshell sleep doesn't work either. I'll try loading voodoo power which gave me garbled audio before, and see if that fixes the sleep. Maybe it's an AHCI problem now.

I just lost sleep. My machine ran perfectly with vanilla 10.5.7 before. I also lost sleep on my SL after 10A421 update.

If this is the norm then I am going back SL. It runs better. I know they will eventually iron out kinks in SL. This Leopard update may be the last one before they move on to SL. I mean Leopard would still be around for years. But I like tesing newer things even at the expense of impaired functionality.

Hi, i have a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R, downloaded the delta update (10.5.7->10.5.8), ran the update and after reboot i've got "still waiting for root device".

My ideneb installation is on a sata hdd.

I have access to the drive by windows "macdrive". Can you please help me?

Greetings, Tocotron

I decided to give 10.5.8 a try via Software Update, after doing a fresh install of iDeneb 1.5.1 today. Everything seems to work so far. Not sure about Sleep, I don't have it enabled, since I run this 24/7.

Only thing i've noticed is that looking at the More Info window in About This Mac now displays "There was an error while gathering this information" on the Hardware tab.

Hi, i have a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R, downloaded the delta update (10.5.7->10.5.8), ran the update and after reboot i've got "still waiting for root device".

My ideneb installation is on a sata hdd.

I have access to the drive by windows "macdrive". Can you please help me?

Greetings, Tocotron

I'm having the same problem here on an Abit IP35-E with a perfectly happy (before update) 10.5.7 install w/ Chameleon 2 RC1.

Tried to update from Software Update (ONLY AFTER reading good reports on here). On first reboot, got into startup screen which later turned into a crossed-out circle. Booting with -v confirmed that OS X wasn't seeing my boot device.

Used my trusty old iDeneb disc to boot into terminal. I just got into my /Extra/Extensions expecting to realize I had borked Disabler.kext or the like somehow, but everything appears to be in good working order as far as I can tell in terms of these kexts (audio and the like aside at this point, of course).

I *suspect* I either forgot I was running some funky AHCI driver for my SATA HDD and DVD-RWs and hence didn't move it into my Extras, or that 10.5.8 brought out some problem in these P35s. Maybe a combination of the two?

Not terribly concerned since I have everything on my Time Capsule and the 10.5.8 update seems innocuous enough (present company excluded), but do want my Hack back soon!

Thanks for any and all insight into this.

[solved, read below]

same here.... (using combo from backup)

Waiting for boot device with UUID.....

last time i had this (10.5.6 -> 10.5.7) i had to replace some IO.... kexts. Sadly it was more like trial and error... so no idea which one solved my problem.

:)

same here.... (using combo from backup)

Waiting for boot device with UUID.....

last time i had this (10.5.6 -> 10.5.7) i had to replace some IO.... kexts. Sadly it was more like trial and error... so no idea which one solved my problem.

:)

just a guess, but I'd start with IOATAFamily.kext

true ! (i think that was the one i replaced the last time)

since i didn't want to test every + read your post afterwards.... i followed this guide http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1119 (terminal commands for replacing all ATA kexts with the old ones from your backup)

Running again with 10.5.8 (with every kext that containts the word ATA from 10.5.7)

I hope there is no downfall in replacing ALL *ATA* kexts, compared to only replacing particular one(s) (e.g only IOATAFamily)

: )

My USB Drive stopped working after the update ! Any suggestions ?

Mind you, only USB drive has stopped working, USB Bluetooth still working, and iPod touch also stopped working :)

SOLVED: Installed IOUSBMassStorage.kext + IOUSBFamily.kext

Big thanks from me too.

Not to threadjack, but for this (or any other) offending kexts, would we here be better off to put those in /Extra/Extensions for future upgrades so we don't have to cover this (as much) again in the future? Still a little fuzzy on how that works, I guess.

Thanks again.

P.S. Whoa! Saw that USB issue below was fixed while I was writing this. Lots of 10.5.8 gurus helping out it seems, and lots of us hitting this board for help are very grateful for you!

I got some problem.

My M/B is P5Q-SE and install with iDeneb 10.5.7 + vanilla kernal 9.7.0

While update was no problem found.

After that i found

1.HD is orange icon 2.My sound is missing (ALC1200).

So i install kext to fix it.

>> AHCIfixv2_with_10.5.6_kexts__corrected_.zip

>> ALC1200_1056.zip

from

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=144020

img8717.jpg

and restart

i can't boot into mac os x it said "Still waiting for root device"

COULD YOU Help Me ??

Thanks you

It didn't work for me. :thumbsup_anim: Now I have to reinstall everything.

One thing Windows has OS X beat is with being able to restart in safe mode and going back to the previous save point and restarting again as if nothing ever was touched on the HD.

iDeneb 1.4, 10.5.6...

Upgraded via Software Update, Display Resolution issue is definitely fixed for me with DVI-HDMI cable (was the reason I didn't use 10.5.7).

USB drives worked "out of box", only Audio kexts required any work (just a reload).

Now I can play The Sims 3 on my Hack. Yay!

It didn't work for me. ;) Now I have to reinstall everything.

One thing Windows has OS X beat is with being able to restart in safe mode and going back to the previous save point and restarting again as if nothing ever was touched on the HD.

The best of OS X is Time Machine and that kills Windows more as a safe mode ;)

on a nearly fresh iDeneb 1.5.1 on my Asus P5W, I had the following issues:

I used Delta Update (279,1 MB)

- had to change back to an old JMicronATA.kext (Kernel Panic)

- had to delete AppleHPET.kext (no USB)

- had to change to an old AppleSMBIOS.kext (failed to load)

System runs, but SystemProfiler delivers no hardware information ...

update: If you have now bootet twice you can delete or rename Disabler.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and bring back AppleHPET.kext and old iDeneb AppleSMBIOS.kext ... also use SystemProfiler Fix for SysProfiler Info ... repairPermissions ... done ...