[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.5.7 Chameleon in EFI & Dual Boot Win7 on Same HDD for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

124 posts in this topic

Quick question I hope:

My partition scheme (GPT of course) on this install is:

Chameleon

Snow

Win7

Data (Fat32)

Windows does not see the "Data" fat32 partition at all. Is this because it's GPT? I have a fat32 partition I use to share between OS' on my desktop, however it's on the same drive as Win7, so it's on MBR, not GUID/GPT, and both see it fine.

Win7 sees the space as unallocated, and OS X sees it properly. I wonder what would happen if I try creating a partition within Windows, from the so called unallocated space. I'm afraid to try it =P

Good question. I would have thought Win7 would see that FAT32 partition? and I thought Win7 was happy with GPT? I will have to do some reading...

Also, I understand your hesitant approach to creating a partition from within Windows as you don't want to upset the system. I also would be cautious and can't really give you any definite answer. Sorry.

If I find anything out, I will let you know.

Link to GA-EP45-DS3L Vanilla EFI Dual Boot Guide PDF v1.0 seems to be broken - could you reload that?

Hi iMoJo - Thanks for letting me know. I don't why sometimes MediaFire has these difficulties? (but I can't complain as it's a free service). I have added an alternate download link for each file.

Do I need to put IOPCIFamily.kext, IONetworkingFamily.kext in the E/E folder ? if yes why ?

Hi daslicht

When I put together my 10.5.7 guide which installed Chameleon on to a separate partition, the idea was to leave the system install completely untouched and to only add any other kexts etc. to Chameleon's /Extra folder.

This worked really well until I needed to get Bonjour networking functioning. To do this I needed to use the RealtekR1000.kext and when I tried to load it from to E/E it wouldn't load without dependencies.

Therefore, I discovered that if I added the IOPCIFamily.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext in to E/E along with the Realtek kext then it would load and Bonjour networking worked. But if I remember correctly it was actually only the IOPCIFamily.kext that was needed.

Does that help?

What would the changes you would need to make to use this guide with the EP45-DS3R? over the DS3L. Thanks

Cash

Hi PaidCash

I don't exactly know but looking quickly at the specs, the look very similar with only maybe a different audio ALC889A. And for that all you will need to do is select ALC889A and HDEF when patching your DSDT. So you should be okay to try it. But it would always be good to search for others here (more so in my 10.5.7 thread - see my signature for link) that have that board, for any help should you need it. :)

When I try to repair permissions some wont get fixed. Is that a serious issue ? how to fix ?

Do you mean clicking 'Repair Disk Permissions' in Disk Utility? - It should fix all of them. If it doesn't then I don't know why... Try running it a few times.

So I was setting up Snow on a netbook. And I found out that some kexts were not being loaded from /e/e

These kexts were for Audio/Battery/PS2 (KB worked, but Trackpad wouldn't)

I was using mkext tool to build the mkext. I read that booting in single user mode and rebuilding the cache in /e/e often does the trick, but I was wondering if you had some insight as to what goes wrong here?

but I did end up just installing in /S/L/E =P

I rsn it many times, no help , still errors

Then maybe you have genuine hardware disk errors?

But I would maybe try an archive install from the install DVD on top of your current install. Be sure to backup any valuable data before hand, but this should put a new system down over your current one and keep all your existing apps and data.

I haven't installed 10.5 for a while now but with my first attempt at a Snow Leopard install using the OSInstall.mpkg method (which is not recommended), left my system with ownership/permission errors and Disk Utility wouldn't run. I solved it by running the retail DVD installer and installing a fresh system on top of the previous install and it sorted the problem. Now I know in Snow Leopard, Apple changed the way the install procedure works with regard to the Archive & install but for your system and 10.5 it should still work.

Hey Black..the link for the PDF is down..

And the alternate download link? I have just tried the file factory one and it's fine. Try it again.

I know media fire sometimes has issues but that's why I posted two separate links.

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, is there a consensus on the "best" file system for a shared data partition when dual booting MacOS and Windows? I would rather not use FAT32 due to the file size restraints, but is it better to use HFS and then a program such as Macdrive to view the partition in Windows or NTFS and then use an NTFS driver in MacOS?

Thanks!

Good question. The file size issue became annoying for me too as most movies are 4GB+. In the end, I chose to use a networked NTFS drive which I could read & write to in OS X via SMB, which wasn't ideal but it worked for me.

Hrm, for some reason the text of my reply was lost and I just noticed now.

I am not familiar with SMB and networked drives. Would you mind explaining what that entails? Is that something I could setup with two physical hard drives?

Also, as I just mentioned, I just purchased a second hard drive and was planning on putting Snow Leopard on one drive and Windows 7 on the other. I know your guide says it's for putting both OS's on the same HDD, but can I still follow it for installing onto two separate drives? Are there any changes I should be aware of? Thanks again for all your help!

Hrm, for some reason the text of my reply was lost and I just noticed now.

I am not familiar with SMB and networked drives. Would you mind explaining what that entails? Is that something I could setup with two physical hard drives?

Also, as I just mentioned, I just purchased a second hard drive and was planning on putting Snow Leopard on one drive and Windows 7 on the other. I know your guide says it's for putting both OS's on the same HDD, but can I still follow it for installing onto two separate drives? Are there any changes I should be aware of? Thanks again for all your help!

As you know, OS X can't write natively to an NTFS HDD but it can write to a shared disk. So all I did was share a drive from my Vista PC, connect to it from OS X with SMB using Finder's Connect to Server option (Command-K) and typing smb://192.168.0.4 (or whatever the IP address of the Vista PC was). But no, you can't do it locally on your machine with two drives.

As for installing Windows 7 on a second HDD in your hack, that's easy and you won't even need a guide for that. Easiest way is to disconnect the OS X HDD, connect second HDD to SATA 0 and install Win 7. When complete, re-connect the OS X HDD then from BIOS select the OS X HDD to be the default drive (it's up to you), then use Chameleon to boot either OS.

Note: Booting Windows 7 from a different loader than the original one may result in sleep not working.

• 3 weeks later...
As for installing Windows 7 on a second HDD in your hack, that's easy and you won't even need a guide for that. Easiest way is to disconnect the OS X HDD, connect second HDD to SATA 0 and install Win 7. When complete, re-connect the OS X HDD then from BIOS select the OS X HDD to be the default drive (it's up to you), then use Chameleon to boot either OS.

Wow, that sounds like it would make things a lot easier. Would one have to reconnect the OS X HDD to SATA 0 after Win 7 is installed?

Also, just curious how motherboard specific the dual boot portion of your guide is. It's the best guide I've found for dual booting, but I'm looking at a GA-EX58-UD5 mobo. In case I find the cost of a second HDD prohibitive I may want to give it a try...

Wow, that sounds like it would make things a lot easier. Would one have to reconnect the OS X HDD to SATA 0 after Win 7 is installed?

Also, just curious how motherboard specific the dual boot portion of your guide is. It's the best guide I've found for dual booting, but I'm looking at a GA-EX58-UD5 mobo. In case I find the cost of a second HDD prohibitive I may want to give it a try...

The dual boot portion should be generic :D

The dual boot portion should be generic :wallbash:

That's what I thought, but I just wanted to confirm, and I thank you for that. I'm planning on getting a Velociraptor 300 GB hard drive. While they are not super expensive I would have a hard time justifying the purchase of two of them at this time, so I will probably end up referring to your well laid out guide. Thanks for all of your work, it is much appreciated.

That's what I thought, but I just wanted to confirm, and I thank you for that. I'm planning on getting a Velociraptor 300 GB hard drive. While they are not super expensive I would have a hard time justifying the purchase of two of them at this time, so I will probably end up referring to your well laid out guide. Thanks for all of your work, it is much appreciated.

You're welcome and that Velociraptor will be nice and fast too.. :D

Using a second drive for a separate Windows install is so much easier but this works for having it on the same drive. Make sure you read through the posts in this thread to understand how others have got on with it.

Good luck :D