New G5 X58 Snow Leo Hackie

aqua-mac

42 posts in this topic

Why do you think so? Not trying to be funny, I really want to hear your opinion, I have a Q9550 (Yorkfield).

compared to whats coming out (i5 and i9) its {censored}, as for some of the c2d/c2q they kick i7 around like a little kid.

-D-

compared to whats coming out (i5 and i9) its {censored}, as for some of the c2d/c2q they kick i7 around like a little kid.

-D-

Thanks. I have also noticed that they have hardly been adopted by anybody, there must be a reason.

In my case the reason was a whopping difference of 260 Euro for a Nehalem mobo, CPU and RAM, compared to what I got.

le jeune bidouilleur,

It is not too noisy, I have all the fans set to "Silent" in the bios. The bottom card does get quite hot, but then again it got hot with only one card installed.

Macwolf,

The cards are installed with GFX strings. At the moment I can run 6 flat panel displays to use on exhibition stands, or SLi in windows 7 with 2 displays. I hope one day that Apple will enable some form of SLi for open CL, but we will have to wait & see.

Aqua,

where are you getting your coolermaster mobo trays from, I've looked and looked on the net but can't track down a dealer with any in stock. Im in the UK but would gladly get one shipped from just about anywhere.

Any pointers?

God, this is f****ng great! :D

I'd love to see some pictures with sidepanel removed. Am I correct assuming that the PSU is located underneath everything, so just like in the original G5?

Anyway, it's so sexy. Three Graphics cards. Wooow. I really am stunned.

One question remains: Did you cut the rear covering yourself or did you take one from an ATX case? I'm wondering, because I plan to build a G5 Hackintosh myself, so... It'd be kind of you, to share your professional experiences. :D Or is it all a motherboard tray? (of which somebody spoke of?)

The rear tray is from a Coolermaster "wavemaster"case that I had. I have been looking around but they seem to have stopped making them, at least I cannot find them.

More pics should follow towards the end of the week as I am away on hols at the moment.

I emailed Coolermaster in Holland and they have found me the last Wavemaster mobo tray in the warehouse.

It is on its way to me now for around €30 delivered - I can live with that

Great customer service for a part thats been discontinued for about 4 years!

Hey glad to hear that akira, I was just about to suggest you contacted them, as a few people I know contacted them in the past and they were helpful then too. I left the posts in the G5 case apart from the longest one and drilled the coolermaster tray to fix it in position - works a treat and is very strong!

thanks for the advice aquamac,

I think I've got just about all my parts sorted. Work will be the killer now and don't see me having any time for a month or so but really looking forward to the build. This is my second powerhack mod and gonna take my time with this one.

Always great to see top workmanship like your own builds. It keeps the rest of us trying a little bit harder I think.

Nice. :( Although if you wanted to get way better temperatures almost a third less than what you have now, you can lap all of contacts inside the cooler. There's like 3 or 4 contacts inside the cooler. But very nice job with the cooling and everything. Looks like it's a real machine that was built by professional companies. :D