Please help me choose my hardware!

1 post in this topic

I've been browsing the forum/wiki for a few days now in an attempt to spec a system for myself.

It will be used for work only (mainly Illustrator/Photoshop, no gaming).

I am going to potentially limit my options somewhat as I intend to put the system in a G4 Quicksilver case (which realistically limits me to a micro-ATX board).

Can anyone enlighten me as to the difference in real performance between a Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad and a Core i7? It seems I can buy a Core 2 Quad with a much higher clock speed than a Core i7 for the same money. Which would be best suited for me? I would like to get something that will see me through the next 2-3 years without having to upgrade.

One mobo I've been considering is the Asus RAMPAGE II GENE as it is micro-ATX (so will fit in the G4!) and it has 6 DDR3 RAM slots (I will probably fill these up right away for 12Gb RAM, unless this is overkill? Currently have 4Gb in my PC and Illustrator & Photoshop really crawl sometimes when I run them together). This mobo also takes the cheaper Duo/Quad CPUs. I don't think it is on the compatability list (think it's fairly new) so I was wondering if anyone had used it successfully?

I have been considering the XFX GeForce 9500 GT 512MB as I believe this handles dual display easily? Would this be a recommended card for my needs?

Finally, would a 450W PSU be adequate?

Thanks in advance!